As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mystery Science Theater 3000] Season 13 done, Season 14 coming?

• Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    Okay. So. One of the movies they announced yesterday is a cult favorite, Doctor Mordrid!

There's a lot of history behind that one and I dearly hope that it's referenced right left and center. Another thing that's going to be fun is that it stars cult actor and frequent Star Trek guest star, Jeffery Combs!

Part of the history is that the movie started out as a Roger Corman inspired take on Marvel's Dr Strange. Which is how Combs got involved. Huge fan! So imagine his chagrin when he finds out they weren't able to secure the rights needed and later found out this was being produced by the infamous Full Moon productions. The sarcasm present in the movie isn't just an affect. The man was salty during production.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I saw the Live show last night. It was very good. There was a thing that happened in the movie that the audience was shocked and after a few beats Servo just turns and says, “we all saw that, right?” Probably the best laugh I had in the whole movie and it wasn’t even an actual riff.

Ha, saw it the same night :3 Yes, that scene was amazing. I'm still honestly amazed at how much copyright infringement that movie was able to get away with. Holy crap.
    But seriously wtf was that scene? Who puts ice cubes in a goldfish bowl?!

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Yo, new episode on Friday!

So stoked to see Joel doing his thing again, even though I know that probably won’t be Ep.1

• Options
    Yup. I hope the app or whatever is ready. I'd like to watch it on that (and cast to my TV :P) if possible. I kinda suspect it won't be tho...

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Yup. I hope the app or whatever is ready. I'd like to watch it on that (and cast to my TV :P) if possible. I kinda suspect it won't be tho...

According to the backer emails I got this past weekend, everything should be ready for the backer's party Thursday night with the world-wide opening of the portal on Friday. Since it's all independent, you should be able to cast it to your television or watch it on your phone/tablet.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options

According to the backer emails I got this past weekend, everything should be ready for the backer's party Thursday night with the world-wide opening of the portal on Friday. Since it's all independent, you should be able to cast it to your television or watch it on your phone/tablet.

Cool, I just skimmed them so I must have missed that part. :D

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    It has recently come to my attention that my wife has never seen MST3K. As a backer intending to watch whatever comes out this Friday (I've mostly not read the update emails to avoid spoilers as I enjoy the surprise), anybody have recommendations for, like, a top 3 all-time greatest MST3K episodes I ought to show her in the lead-up?

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    It has recently come to my attention that my wife has never seen MST3K. As a backer intending to watch whatever comes out this Friday (I've mostly not read the update emails to avoid spoilers as I enjoy the surprise), anybody have recommendations for, like, a top 3 all-time greatest MST3K episodes I ought to show her in the lead-up?

Manos is a classic. Also The Final Sacrifice with Rowsdower :P

I also own this one:
    https://www.amazon.com/Mystery-Science-Theater-3000-Anniversary/dp/B001B73PPS

Can highly recommend everything on here (First Spaceship to Venus is kinda meh but the other three are gold). Whaaarwulf!

Other people don't seem to like it as much as me but I also friggin' love Starcrash... that one always makes me laugh so hard... But otherwise from that season, Cry Wilderness. BANG! :P

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Space Mutiny and Pod People.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I think their finest output pound for pound is probably the 'Is This Love?' short

full episodes, you can't go wrong with Space Mutiny, Mitchell, or Cry Wilderness

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I think Mac and Me is a solid entry. I'd also throw in the MST3K film itself, everybody should learn the importance of an interociter in the home.

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Manos and Mac & Me are both such absolute dog-shit movies that the riffing only barely makes them watchable, in my opinion. Final Sacrifice and Space Mutiny were great. Might go with those and Cry Wilderness...

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Mitchell/Brain That Wouldn't Die double-header?

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Puma Man. And Werewolf. Two completely awful movies absolutely packed with riffs.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    The Giant Spider Invasion is a personal favorite of mine

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Manos is almost unwatchable even with the riffs, but more importantly isn’t indicative of the kind of fare one should typically expect in any given episode

Puma Man is great, Space Mutiny if you want sci-fi cheese, Riding With Death is schlocky fun, and Hobgoblins is still my wife’s favorite

• Options
    edited February 2022
    Puma Man. And Werewolf. Two completely awful movies absolutely packed with riffs.

also I Was a Teenage Werewolf

(until that summer of love when I became a man)

Xaquin on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Manos and Mac & Me are both such absolute dog-shit movies that the riffing only barely makes them watchable, in my opinion. Final Sacrifice and Space Mutiny were great. Might go with those and Cry Wilderness...

You gotta do Space Mutiny, because otherwise she'll never understand the Rock Punchgroin and Beef Hardcheese jokes, and that's just not allowed in this world.

• Options
    Overdrawn At The Memory Bank has my favorite riff of all time and is pretty solid

• Options
    If you absolutely must watch a Joel-era episode, you can’t go wrong with I Accuse My Parents

I love Joel a bunch, don’t get me wrong, I just think Mike eps are typically better for newbies

Ator is a great Jonah episode too, if you want to start newer. Or Cry Wilderness!

• Options
  • Options
    Cry Wilderness is so good.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Cry Wilderness is so good.
    I know, it -really- is!

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Manos is almost unwatchable even with the riffs, but more importantly isn’t indicative of the kind of fare one should typically expect in any given episode

Puma Man is great, Space Mutiny if you want sci-fi cheese, Riding With Death is schlocky fun, and Hobgoblins is still my wife’s favorite

Schlock McBadfilm

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Overdrawn At The Memory Bank has my favorite riff of all time and is pretty solid

for you, the greatest riff was the day raul julia graced your terrible movie

but for him, it was a tuesday

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    I think Mac and Me is a solid entry. I'd also throw in the MST3K film itself, everybody should learn the importance of an interociter in the home.

I forgot they did this one. Also I totally forgot about Space Mutiny and Puma Man. Both super great, highly recommend :D
    If you absolutely must watch a Joel-era episode, you can’t go wrong with I Accuse My Parents

I love Joel a bunch, don’t get me wrong, I just think Mike eps are typically better for newbies

Ator is a great Jonah episode too, if you want to start newer. Or Cry Wilderness!

Yeah, I agree the Joel episodes tend to not be as good but this is absolutely a solid one.

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    Hey whoa I like Joel episodes! It’s just different, and I think easier to ease people in with Mike’s.

Don’t start the 90s Joel vs Mike feud up again!

• Options
    edited February 2022
    Hey whoa I like Joel episodes! It’s just different, and I think easier to ease people in with Mike’s.

Don’t start the 90s Joel vs Mike feud up again!

lol... I dunno, I just find most of them not as good, but admittedly I haven't watched all of them either :P And also these are early episodes so it's easy to say the show was still trying to discover its voice at the time.

But no hate on Joel or anything :P

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Emails went out.

I got my gizmoplex account signed up and claimed all my digital rewards from backerkit. Seems pretty slick. I like how the episode cards have little icons to tell you who the host is. Also they have Quest of the Delta Knights, which has never been released on physical format and looks to be a cleaner copy than the VHS tapped version I have that I converted onto a DVD.

The only thing that needs work is an easier way to see which episodes I "own." It might just be a glitch though since I'd assume it is library, but that just opens a new tab and takes me to the purchases which just shows the stuff I claimed from the kickstarter and then I have to click on those to actually get to the episodes.

I guess I could just search for them.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Better than Quest of the Delta Burkes I suppose

• Options
    Yeah, I got all that setup last night too. I thought at one point they said you would be able to unlock the episodes for the kickstarters you backed if you supported the previous seasons but they seem locked for me. I wonder if you need to do something special or if that just isn't available yet..

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    I've been watching Rifftrax via Prime with commercials.

I rented the 90s Double Dragon and holy shitnI forgot how super bad and super 90s it is. The only saving graces are Robert Patrick looking like Vannilla Ice as he chews on scenery, and a 22 year old Alyssa Milano with a pixie cut.

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular

I Accuse My Parents was the first episode I ever watched, so it has a special place in my heart.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

I Accuse My Parents was the first episode I ever watched, so it has a special place in my heart.

liar, liar

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    My favorite riff from that one is after the judge suspends his sentence Joel yells out “Thank God I’m white!”

• Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    I backed this new season but still don’t really understand this gizmoplex thing. It’s basically like just buying it digitally with extra stuff? There’s a lot of confusing terms to me

• Options
    wobblyheadedbobwobblyheadedbob Registered User regular
    I backed this new season but still don’t really understand this gizmoplex thing. It’s basically like just buying it digitally with extra stuff? There’s a lot of confusing terms to me

It's a MST3k streaming service, AFAIK.

• Options
    MST3K made its own Netflix, with blackjack and hookers.

• Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular

Manos is a classic. Also The Final Sacrifice with Rowsdower :P

I also own this one:
    https://www.amazon.com/Mystery-Science-Theater-3000-Anniversary/dp/B001B73PPS

Can highly recommend everything on here (First Spaceship to Venus is kinda meh but the other three are gold). Whaaarwulf!

Other people don't seem to like it as much as me but I also friggin' love Starcrash... that one always makes me laugh so hard... But otherwise from that season, Cry Wilderness. BANG! :P

Kitten with a whip is incredible as well as the godzilla one with the baby godzilla

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Omigosh, how could I forget?

My favorite thing MST3K ever did is when they ran the Candid Gamera marathon back in the day. I love all of their Gamera (knock-off Godzilla) episodes.

“Daddy, I want a Coke.”

So, yeah, those are good ones, too.

Elvenshae on