As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[chat]landers

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Holy fuck so apparently some new tech was found in Symphony of the Night overnight looks like speed runs will now take under 10 minutes.

Were in the OoT zone for it now.

I remember when System Shock 2 speed runs took 35 minutes. Now they can be under 14.

• Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    Gonmun wrote: »
    Morning [chat].

Feeling a bit self-concious today. Last night I did my third Haidong Gumdo class. Got there early and thought I was late as another class was going on so I did their final sets with them only to find out that I was not late but that the advanced class was just finishing and my class was beginning. So I wound up getting an extra 15 minutes of workout in. Sadly though I think I overdid it as about a third of the way through my class while going through a string of exercises I felt like I was going to keel over as my arms are still getting used to the workouts. My shoulders didn't want to move at all.

Felt like such an idiot in front of the class but no one said anything. They seem like a bunch of nice people though and I'm hoping they understand my reasons for doing this as a means to get fit and healthy again. I'm promising myself to do better and just need to keep telling myself that I'm just starting out and it will get better. It's just hard after being lazy for so long. But my teacher is being patient with me and very complimentary and is pushing me in the right ways I think. Just need to remind myself of the saying "no pain, no gain".

Everyone in the class was as focused on themselves as you were, don't worry about that ever. If you're starting out getting into shape just take it slow. Forget no pain no gain, injuries are what will make you have to take a break which increases the odds of you just giving up entirely. There's no need to unnecessarily push yourself to do extra stuff, especially when you're starting out. Slower but constant improvement will have better long term effects than trying to run before you can walk and hurting yourself over and over.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    gonmun, always remember the golden rule

other peoples opinions are stupid and don't matter

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    literally no one at all in any gym/workout session gives a fuck what you do or what you look like so long as you're not about to (a) hurt yourself or (b) hurt others

not a single fuck

i felt self conscious when i first started going to the gym and it took me longer than it should have to realise this absolute truth of the world

• Options
    i went on my coffee break and someone who I vaguely know took it as an opportunity to sit next to me and talk about their masters

i actually think that if I asked my boss for another break because of that, he'd give it to me

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Tav wrote: »
    literally no one at all in any gym/workout session gives a fuck what you do or what you look like so long as you're not about to (a) hurt yourself or (b) hurt others

not a single fuck

i felt self conscious when i first started going to the gym and it took me longer than it should have to realise this absolute truth of the world

well this isn't strictly true

if you're extremely good looking they're going to be fantasizing about having sex with you

but otherwise yes

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular

not a single fuck

everyone faces this problem with various areas of their lives

as far as we're concerned the world revolves around us and everyone gives as much of a fuck about us and our insecurities as we do

truth is they don't

occasionally someone will notice something stupid you do and laugh at you, but odds are they'll forget about it within 24 hours and you will be stuck torturing yourself about it imagining that other people have enough mental space to think about you and the stupid shit you do

in conclusion, brains suck

• Options
    Organichu wrote: »

not a single fuck

if you're extremely good looking they're going to be fantasizing about having sex with you

but otherwise yes

you get used to this, though

i imagine

• Options
    There's a difference in "no pain, no gain" between pushing yourself and injuring yourself. Pushing yourself should hurt a bit. You're exhausting your muscles, it should be challenging. You should feel the burn the next day. The line is at sharp pain. That is when you stop.

• Options
    AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    Morning [chat].

Feeling a bit self-concious today. Last night I did my third Haidong Gumdo class. Got there early and thought I was late as another class was going on so I did their final sets with them only to find out that I was not late but that the advanced class was just finishing and my class was beginning. So I wound up getting an extra 15 minutes of workout in. Sadly though I think I overdid it as about a third of the way through my class while going through a string of exercises I felt like I was going to keel over as my arms are still getting used to the workouts. My shoulders didn't want to move at all.

Felt like such an idiot in front of the class but no one said anything. They seem like a bunch of nice people though and I'm hoping they understand my reasons for doing this as a means to get fit and healthy again. I'm promising myself to do better and just need to keep telling myself that I'm just starting out and it will get better. It's just hard after being lazy for so long. But my teacher is being patient with me and very complimentary and is pushing me in the right ways I think. Just need to remind myself of the saying "no pain, no gain".
    Everyone else will be thinking the same thing, but about themselves. Seriously.

No one goes to exercise to make fun of other people trying.

Those times you see someone criticise people who use exercise machines wrong in January? They are criticising the mistakes not the effort. So long as you are trying no one gives a damn.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    815165 wrote: »
    Morning [chat].

Everyone in the class was as focused on themselves as you were, don't worry about that ever. If you're starting out getting into shape just take it slow. Forget no pain no gain, injuries are what will make you have to take a break which increases the odds of you just giving up entirely. There's no need to unnecessarily push yourself to do extra stuff, especially when you're starting out. Slower but constant improvement will have better long term effects than trying to run before you can walk and hurting yourself over and over.

You're right. Need to remind myself I'm not as spry as I used to be which is hard because for a long time I prided myself on being able to keep up. Really upset with myself for letting it get this bad. That's something my teacher had said on one of my first night's too. I'll just have to make sure to pace myself a bit better tomorrow. At least tonight I can rest a bit. One thing's for sure. My shoulders are going to be in crazy shape eventually. Holy crap do they not like me right now.

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    Casual wrote: »

not a single fuck

as far as we're concerned the world revolves around us and everyone gives as much of a fuck about us and our insecurities as we do

truth is they don't

occasionally someone will notice something stupid you do and laugh at you, but odds are they'll forget about it within 24 hours and you will be stuck torturing yourself about it imagining that other people have enough mental space to think about you and the stupid shit you do

finding out from facebook that girl liked Rent...

learning how to play several of the songs on guitar, vocal lines included...

waiting until we were in the same big room, never having said hello, casually playing the songs without looking her way...

faking being surprised and pleased when she noticed and approached me...

(doesn't matter; did not have sex)

• Options
    exercise machines wrong in January

I like how this really poetically describes new year resolutions.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
  • Options

General Katana tells me it's "Never fight on holy ground".

• Options
    edited January 2014

not a single fuck

but otherwise yes

nah, if you're extremely good looking in the gym than you're not pushing it

you need to be disgusting and sweaty at all times

no one wants to get with a dyel?

Tav on
  • Options

that's what you get when you're dealing with a talking sword; nonsense.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

not a single fuck

A guy gave me tips on my form once. That was good.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    815165 wrote: »

that's what you get when you're dealing with a talking sword; nonsense.

Actually it's Michael Ironside.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

not a single fuck

truth is they don't

I still run scenarios from ten years ago or more in my head to see how I could have handled them better.

I can also spend an entire night practising conversations for tomorrow that I anticipate will be difficult. They inevitably aren't.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    When do folk lose interest in going to the gym? It was the most crowded I'd ever seen it last night. Is it the entirety of January.

Previously I've been able to go at odd times to avoid these problems. Now it's pretty much I have a gap after work before dinner. LIKE EVERYBODY ELSE IN THE WORLD

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Fun fact: The Zeist version of Highlander II was the first movie I saw in the series.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Mjv9dVR.png

gabe-chan... :(

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    When do folk lose interest in going to the gym? It was the most crowded I'd ever seen it last night. Is it the entirety of January.

Previously I've been able to go at odd times to avoid these problems. Now it's pretty much I have a gap after work before dinner. LIKE EVERYBODY ELSE IN THE WORLD
    Some people make it partways into February. The majority have already given up.

• Options
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

They usually last 2-4 weeks. It'll be fine by Valentines day.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • Options
    My gym attempts were hijacked by awful stuff happening this month. I need to nut up and try again.

• Options

not a single fuck

but otherwise yes

nah, if you're extremely good looking in the gym than you're not pushing it

you need to be disgusting and sweaty at all times

no one wants to get with a dyel?

there are plenty of people who look so good it doesn't matter. i mean, whose sweat i would suck off their toes even if they just escaped as the lone survivor of a korean horror movie

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    My gym attempts were hijacked by awful stuff happening this month. I need to nut up and try again.

MY gym attempts were hijacked by it being colder than Satans asshole for the last month

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    holy shit, a huuuuge comedy promotor called me and offered me 7 mins next week

aaaaaahhhhh

• Options
    Speaking of exercise I'm off for a run, Week 4 of couch to 5k here I come.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Looks like I'm officially a university student again. Now I'll get to be one of the older, serious university students who you question how much they fucked up their life.

• Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    This is sort of a New Year's Resolution but at the same time it's something I've been wanting to really get into for months. The wife and I started doing long walks in the fall but when we started getting hit with the snow it put a bit of a stop to it for December.

When my birthday came I had a bit of money at my disposal and I remembered wanting to join the Haidong Gumdo class here that I'd seen practice at the nearby park in the summer. So, last week I sat in on a class on Friday and that night I signed up (even had a coupon for 50% off for the first two months). The next day I had my first class and am resolved to do this as 1) I want to get fit, 2) I have always, ever since I was little, wanted to learn proper sword techniques and 3) I'm a thrifty goose who makes sure I don't waste my money so I'm never going to miss a class unless I'm highly sick, debilitated, etc. With going 3-4 times a week I'm hoping I'll start seeing some improvements in a month or so but I'll also remind myself that I need to be patient.

Gonmun on
    desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 So Raven Registered User regular
    I need to drop some hints for DRX regarding Valentine's Day/birthday ideas. Should I just tell him straight up, or try to be more coy? I should mention that he has an extremely unfortunate history of missing hints that I felt were icebergian.

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

MY gym attempts were hijacked by it being colder than Satans asshole for the last month

Hell is hot though.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i started watching marc maron's show

this is great

• Options
    Elendil wrote: »
    i started watching marc maron's show

this is great

i forgot that that was a thing

i should get on that

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    I need to drop some hints for DRX regarding Valentine's Day/birthday ideas. Should I just tell him straight up, or try to be more coy? I should mention that he has an extremely unfortunate history of missing hints that I felt were icebergian.

Hints, in my experience, are useless.

• Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular

Raven wants craft ale gift box, if I've read her hinting correctly

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    Delmain wrote: »

Hints, in my experience, are useless.

matador.jpg

• Options
    Vanguard wrote: »

Hell is hot though.

Bro, do you even ninth layer?

This discussion has been closed.