As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam] Thread Tags: Classy, Game-Gluttonous, Less Monstrous Than Steam Community At Large

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    @Rikdaly just sent me Defender's Quest for some reason.

I think it might be a trick, but thank you for your great classiness anyway!

Also I feel compelled to remind everyone that this is still a thing through tonight at midnight:

signature.png

• Options
    rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    It was £1.19 so I had to buy it for someone!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AsheAshe Registered User regular
    I just played through an hour of the demo for Age of Decadence.

My god.

This game is going to be amazing.

An actual RPG with an emphasis on the "RP" and de-emphasizing combat and such.

And just look at this warning you get when you first start:
    0D275CD74501302FA31FFF97272E13941B9FAC60

I have yet to get into a fight - except for slitting the throat of some dude who thought it was a good idea to murder someone who was under the protection of my lord. It's all been intrigue and maneuvering... and throwing around my weight and influence as a Praetorian, of course. ;)

One-hour-Pixie-appraisal: two thumbs up! Go try the demo!

Ohmygoodness there's a demo out?!

On it!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Shadows: Price For Our Sins Bonus Edition has been added to the Indie Gala January.
    There's still one bonus Steam game left to be unlocked.

HiT BiT on
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Sumanai wrote: »
    akajaybay wrote: »
    Gladiator List with Stats

Will do a little mock battle in the next few days. Make sure I've got the rolling worked out and all that.
    Can also use it to relate a training accident story or two.

@cardboard delusions aka USAgent is a freaking TANK! Living up to his avatar, I guess. LFM, Boss with 21 HP/5 Tough. :mrgreen:

Pfft, I'll take him on. It'll just take an extra couple swings to bring him down

• Options
    MoosehatIVMoosehatIV Saw a blimp once Registered User regular
    Ok thread. You can't be trying to convince me to buy Neo Scavenger, Banner Saga, and Blackguard all at once. It just isn't fair. I am not made of moose bucks.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    MoosehatIV wrote: »
    Ok thread. You can't be trying to convince me to buy Neo Scavenger, Banner Saga, and Blackguard all at once. It just isn't fair. I am not made of moose bucks.

Don't worry, we aren't.

You forgot a couple games.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Nice sig, @Icemopper. :)

Everyone should get Defender's Quest at it's daily sale price. Its such a charming game with a solid TD gameplay foundation. Once you get used to the level of customization in orders you can give your 'towers,' like attack bosses first, attack weakest first, save magic for X, only heal when Y etc., it will be hard to go back.

EDIT: Jragghen has the best plan. :)

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    ReverseCreationsReverseCreations Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    I'm going to echo some of these posts , namely Iolo's post, that everyone should get it.

ReverseCreations on
    1C54320038BDF735D2D088D168D6275F7F2FBE3C
  • Options
    BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Heres a Sanctum 2 giveaway.

signature.png

Huh, thinger ain't working. Aw well!

Broncbuster on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Berylline wrote: »
    Has anyone used Get Games, and was it legit/non-shady? I'm interested in picking something up from them, but I'm not familiar with the site.
    Thanks!

Yeah, they're legit.

Great! Thank you!

If anyone else is currently regretting not picking up Borderlands 2 GOTY when it was $15 during the sale, it's now $15 at Get Games!

If @Berylline or anyone else who purchases this wants to play it in a co-operative manner, I haven't put any time into Borderlands 2 due to not wanting to do it solo. I would love to play with a group of PA gents and gentesses.

I am ALWAYS up for some coop borderlands. I'll even roll a new character for y'all.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I've got BL2 and am always up for co-op, since that's the whole reason I got it. I can also roll a new character, been looking at Krieg lately with some interest.

• Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular

My god.

I have yet to get into a fight - except for slitting the throat of some dude who thought it was a good idea to murder someone who was under the protection of my lord. It's all been intrigue and maneuvering... and throwing around my weight and influence as a Praetorian, of course. ;)

Oh my, I don't need new games. I have RPG's to play all ready. But not based on combat? Ultra hard? It is ok to run away? I like this. Demo installed, you monster. And I only stopped in to say I missed the end of the last thread, and this one has 9 pages I won't get to. School is hard.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    So guys......I have a problem. Remember when I said my backlog was about 4000+ hours according got How Long To Beat. Well assuming that I played 5 hours a day every day....it will take me 3 years 9 months and a few weeks to clear it all......

So yeah, no buying games for....well....ever at this point. I can't justify being so wasteful and adding onto it. The only upside is that 100% on Skyrim is about 1500 of those hours, so I can knock about year off right there if I save it for last.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I'm also down for some Borderlands 2 co-op if that's gonna be a thing. I don't have any of the DLC though, so I wouldn't be able to follow you guys into any of those areas.

I have a Commando character already, but he's only level 12.

• Options
    Ok so I checked out the Age of Decadence store page, and it's a post-apocalyptic world where nothing but a few large city-states have survived, in a giant wasteland?

Sounds like the perfect opportunity to test the "Any game becomes better when you RP as Judge Dredd" theory.

Might have to pick it up when it's done and spend some time bringing Law the the lawless.

• Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    I would also love to play this co-op whenever I do dive in. That won't be right away though, since I'm still in the middle of 1, and want to finish it first (and I don't have room to have both of them installed on my computer).
    If you like Borderlands you will enjoy its sequel even more.
    Because it's got bunny themed rocket launchers, assault rifles and sniper rifles (click on the weapon image for a better view).
    A npc who loves bunnies (and explosives).
    And (creepy) bunny masks for at least one of the playable characters (also a Max mask if you happen to own Poker Night at The Inventory 2).

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Can someone fill me in on what the gladiator thing is all about in this thread? It seems....intriguing.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Can someone fill me in on what the gladiator thing is all about in this thread? It seems....intriguing.

Contest that's being run. Contestnts are all picked now though - you're about a week late.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    KrummithKrummith DJ Logic Death can't take me until I finish my backlogRegistered User regular
    I put some time into Papers Please! It's surprisingly enjoyable. I feel like a terrible person, because I kept giggling when people were detained. For some reason the ka-chunk sound effect of the gate really tickled my funny bone.

For those of you who have played it, how many days do I have to complete to get to the end? I'm getting better, but my family keeps dying about day 10-15.

Also, Defender's Quest is a fantastic game. It's a steal at $1.49.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    I've met some great coop players over in the Borderlands 2 thread

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Has anyone used Get Games, and was it legit/non-shady? I'm interested in picking something up from them, but I'm not familiar with the site.
    Thanks!

Yeah, they're legit.

Great! Thank you!

If anyone else is currently regretting not picking up Borderlands 2 GOTY when it was $15 during the sale, it's now $15 at Get Games!

If @Berylline or anyone else who purchases this wants to play it in a co-operative manner, I haven't put any time into Borderlands 2 due to not wanting to do it solo. I would love to play with a group of PA gents and gentesses.

I am ALWAYS up for some coop borderlands. I'll even roll a new character for y'all.

I was not aware that Borderlands of any stripe was a co-op experience. That's . . . intriguing.
    übergeek wrote: »
    So guys......I have a problem. Remember when I said my backlog was about 4000+ hours according got How Long To Beat. Well assuming that I played 5 hours a day every day....it will take me 3 years 9 months and a few weeks to clear it all......

So yeah, no buying games for....well....ever at this point. I can't justify being so wasteful and adding onto it. The only upside is that 100% on Skyrim is about 1500 of those hours, so I can knock about year off right there if I save it for last.

Well, my Skyrim completion sits about here:
    All locations on main continent: Found
    Mage College Quests: Done
    Companion Quests: Done
    Thieves Guild Quests: Done
    Dark Brotherhood Quests: In Progress
    Dawnguard Quests: In Progress
    Main Quests: In Progress
    Misc Quests: 95% Complete
    Dragonborn Quests: Not Started
    Civil War Quests: Not Started

Also, Thane of all but Windhelm (because I'd need to start the civil war quests to be so), all the homes, even in Hearthfire expansion, with all the stuff. Missing one Dragon Mask from the main quest, and a gaggle of shout words from miscellaneous dungeons. And I'm 275 hours in. So that 1500 seems fairly . . . worst-case-scenario.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Thanks!

Yeah, they're legit.

Great! Thank you!

I was not aware that Borderlands of any stripe was a co-op experience. That's . . . intriguing.
    Co-op is a blast. You should get in on it.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    VorpalVorpal Registered User regular
    Thanks go to @Blackjack for the gift of Defender's Quest !! :)

steam_sig.png
    PSN: Vorpallion Twitch: Vorpallion
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Thanks!

Yeah, they're legit.

Great! Thank you!

Co-op is a blast. You should get in on it.

Well, ahead of any other games is Skyrim, then Castlevania: Lords of Shadow. Once those are both done, I'm mentally free to play what I want.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    How have I not heard of Alien Isolation before? It's not actually on sale on Steam yet but Gametap has a nominal preorder discount for a Steam key right now.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Only played a few levels so far, but Sanctum 2 seems pretty fun. If anyone's on the fence about it, I recommend it.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    How have I not heard of Alien Isolation before? It's not actually on sale on Steam yet but Gametap has a nominal preorder discount for a Steam key right now.

omigosh

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    I just played through an hour of the demo for Age of Decadence. ...

What? Age of Decadence still isn't out?! I remember playing the demo of it like... two years ago.

I wonder what the holdup's been.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    Alien Isolation is the Alien game I've always wanted. First, it's an Alien game, not an Aliens game, meaning that you're a regular person, not a member of a squad of Colonial Marines. There is only one Alien, which should keep the tension high as opposed to games like Balonial Marines and AvP 2010 where you gun down hordes of Aliens and can even melee them to death for some ridiculous reason.

So many games try to capture the "Gung-ho, oorah let's kill us some Xenos boys!" atmosphere that was in Aliens, and that's cool, but they seem to forget the part where that only lasted for like ten seconds after they encountered their first Alien. The whole point of Aliens was that this ultra badass elite squad, a well oiled machine of alien hunting killers (their dropship's name is Bug Stomper, and their motto is "We Endanger Species") who obliterate untold numbers of other kinds of aliens regularly still got their asses handed to them by the Xenomorphs. They left the Sulaco with like twelve marines, a synthetic, two pilots, a civilian, and enough firepower to level a city, and at the end of the movie they're left with one civilian, a severely injured marine, half a robot, and a little girl.

Xenomorphs are supposed to be vicious, almost indestructible, and scary as hell, not generic pop up whack a mole enemies that go down after a single burst from a pulse rifle. The Aliens and AvP games are fun, but it's nice to see a shift in gameplay style that reflects how the Xenos were originally designed.

The first time I played Doom 3 I thought to myself "Holy shit, I should learn Doom 3 modding an make an Alien TC that has a single ship crewmember trying to make their way through a gargantuan spaceship to escape a single Xenomorph just like in Alien", and while I never got around to making that idea a reality because I'm lazy, I'm super glad that some other people did.

• Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    I'm still waiting for the Alien/s game that properly models ACID BLOOD and has appropriate, physics-driven environmental damage to match.

I want to worry about more than just where to aim, I want to panic and fill a xeno with holes...only to realize we're on the lowest deck and it's blood is going to eat all the way through the hull into space (or wherever) in just a few minutes. I want to build makeshift bridges out of ladders and shit to get over holes in the floor where alien bodies fell.

...and now I'm envisioning an Alien mod for Dwarf Fortress since that's the only game I can think of that that would be able to go that in-depth without even trying.

• Options
    msmyamsmya Being Fabulous Registered User regular
    Thank you for Strike Suit Zero!
    @Nackmatholn

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »

My toastercomputer just loaded that gif, said "Fuck you" and informed me that I will never be playing Witcher 3 on it.

:P

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    So I played a bunch of Borderlands 1 back when it was on PS+. I beat two, maybe three bosses, and then I think my sub ran out.

Now I own it on PC. Does it support controllers? Is the game infinitely better in co-op? Because I remember constantly having to dump stuff on the ground due to picking up too many guns, constantly staring at guns on the ground trying to figure out which one was better, being disheartened when I would just barely clear out an area of enemies only to have all the enemies respawn once I returned with a low amount of health from doing whatever it was I was passing through to do.

Feels like co-op would be a ton of waiting, like everyone is browsing at a shopping mall and also you shoot dudes every once in a while.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I'm still waiting for the Alien/s game that properly models ACID BLOOD and has appropriate, physics-driven environmental damage to match.

I want to worry about more than just where to aim, I want to panic and fill a xeno with holes...only to realize we're on the lowest deck and it's blood is going to eat all the way through the hull into space (or wherever) in just a few minutes. I want to build makeshift bridges out of ladders and shit to get over holes in the floor where alien bodies fell.

...and now I'm envisioning an Alien mod for Dwarf Fortress since that's the only game I can think of that that would be able to go that in-depth without even trying.

You mean acid blood burning through shit like the nano rifle in Red Faction: Guerrilla did? Because that would be dope, the Geomod2 engine was excellent for that sort of thing.
    Alien Isolation is the Alien game I've always wanted. First, it's an Alien game, not an Aliens game, meaning that you're a regular person, not a member of a squad of Colonial Marines. There is only one Alien, which should keep the tension high as opposed to games like Balonial Marines and AvP 2010 where you gun down hordes of Aliens and can even melee them to death for some ridiculous reason.

So many games try to capture the "Gung-ho, oorah let's kill us some Xenos boys!" atmosphere that was in Aliens, and that's cool, but they seem to forget the part where that only lasted for like ten seconds after they encountered their first Alien. The whole point of Aliens was that this ultra badass elite squad, a well oiled machine of alien hunting killers (their dropship's name is Bug Stomper, and their motto is "We Endanger Species") who obliterate untold numbers of other kinds of aliens regularly still got their asses handed to them by the Xenomorphs. They left the Sulaco with like twelve marines, a synthetic, two pilots, a civilian, and enough firepower to level a city, and at the end of the movie they're left with one civilian, a severely injured marine, half a robot, and a little girl.

Xenomorphs are supposed to be vicious, almost indestructible, and scary as hell, not generic pop up whack a mole enemies that go down after a single burst from a pulse rifle. The Aliens and AvP games are fun, but it's nice to see a shift in gameplay style that reflects how the Xenos were originally designed.

The first time I played Doom 3 I thought to myself "Holy shit, I should learn Doom 3 modding an make an Alien TC that has a single ship crewmember trying to make their way through a gargantuan spaceship to escape a single Xenomorph just like in Alien", and while I never got around to making that idea a reality because I'm lazy, I'm super glad that some other people did.

I never played it, but I remember reading about Alien 3 for the SNES in Nintendo Power I think, and it seemed a lot like what you're describing. You're alone and trying to survive against overwhelming odds. I don't actually know if it did, or if the game was even any good, but it sure looked like it had that atmosphere down pat.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular

I just bought a new video card, I hope it can handle this!

Having said that I still haven't played Witcher 2 which I already own on steam. I was hoping they'd have tightened up the gameplay/combat since Witcher 1 but it still feels a bit off to me. It's in my 'I'll get around to it one day' pile.

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular

My god.

That sounds like my evenings entertainment sorted, kudos to you!

I gave the demo to NEO Scavenger a go last night and I think the game might be a little too abstract for my tastes. I'm playing The Banner Saga at the moment and it's wonderful animation and production qualities have tainted my current gaming expectations.

I did get the sense that a lot of thought has been put into the little things though. I was initially a bit confused that I wasn't able to put some miscellaneous scrap into my trolley, but when I read it's description it stated that it was bits of wire, nails, bolts etc. it made me realise 'well of course that can't be held in a trolley, it'll just fall through the mesh'. A box though? A box works fine. Very nice touch.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014

I just bought a new video card, I hope it can handle this!

Having said that I still haven't played Witcher 2 which I already own on steam. I was hoping they'd have tightened up the gameplay/combat since Witcher 1 but it still feels a bit off to me. It's in my 'I'll get around to it one day' pile.

Yeah, I actually just went back and gave Witcher 2 another chance a few months ago and was quite engrossed. Ended up beating it in several late nights over about a week on Normal. Considering going back through on a harder difficulty to do the other main story path, but I haven't done it just yet.

While the combat isn't as solid as something like Dark Souls, it is still pretty good once you get out of the early game. Once you actually start getting skills in a main tree it definitely gets better. Dodging sort of seems infinitely more useful than blocking/parrying, which is the way I tried to play the very first time I tried Witcher 2 and gave up on it.

I'm extremely excited about Witcher 3 and the continuation of the storyline at this point... and I never played Witcher 1, even though I do have it.

I'd definitely recommend giving Witcher 2 another shot so you can get into the story before Witcher 3 if you're planning on getting that.

Dranyth on
This discussion has been closed.