As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This was the Last Xbox One Thread

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    socks wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    I feel like we HAVE to see a "gears trilogy" HD release for the Xbox One at this point, along with whatever Black Tusk makes next.

It would just be silly of these guys to not do a Halo 1-4 Collector's Edition, and a Gear 1-3 Collector's Edition, with a new set of achievements.

They would sell like gangbusters.

I'm all for new things, but I would buy all of these.

But these are new old things! :|

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    I would be interested in seeing what a Gears collection would look like without all the UE3 "tropes" (ugh hate that word) hampering it

• Options
    UE3 has tropes? I guess that's a cleaner way of saying "idiosyncrasies associated with the engine" :P

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited January 2014
    I would be interested in seeing what a Gears collection would look like without all the UE3 "tropes" (ugh hate that word) hampering it

I mean, the art assets they used for Gears 1-3 were already really damn good - just using the higher res textures with a better lighting model, better character and monster models, and 1080p60 on UE4 would be fucking awesome.

They could also take the "best" control scheme / character movement system from the entire series (almost undeniably gears 3) and string all three games together into an epically long campaign, with gears 3 multi as the multiplayer mode.

Finally, if they want to REALLY make it work, they could put a new epilogue or stinger mission on the end of the campaign that opens up the door for Gears 4... and this mission would be a true "next gen" experience, with environments, characters and everything else dialed up to whatever they are aiming for... so more like a demo that threads the needle between 3 and 4, especially since 3 as it stands ended pretty conclusively.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular

I mean, the art assets they used for Gears 1-3 were already really damn good - just using the higher res textures with a better lighting model, better character and monster models, and 1080p60 on UE4 would be fucking awesome.

They could also take the "best" control scheme / character movement system from the entire series (almost undeniably gears 3) and string all three games together into an epically long campaign, with gears 3 multi as the multiplayer mode.

Finally, if they want to REALLY make it work, they could put a new epilogue or stinger mission on the end of the campaign that opens up the door for Gears 4... and this mission would be a true "next gen" experience, with environments, characters and everything else dialed up to whatever they are aiming for... so more like a demo that threads the needle between 3 and 4, especially since 3 as it stands ended pretty conclusively.

You could probably just do the last bit, sell it for $30 standalone and it would still sell like hotcakes.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Nah. The reaction to Judgment, much like Halo 4 has resulted in a fractured fanbase. A lot of the old guard were turned off or felt excluded by the newer stuff.

Red vs Blue instead of Cog vs Locust and straight up Horde really pissed a lot of people off... so it might not be hotcakes.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited January 2014
    Nah. The reaction to Judgment, much like Halo 4 has resulted in a fractured fanbase. A lot of the old guard were turned off or felt excluded by the newer stuff.

Red vs Blue instead of Cog vs Locust and straight up Horde really pissed a lot of people off... so it might not be hotcakes.

which is why you don't include judgement in the trilogy re-release, and you double down on what people like about Gears.

Plus, an epic, beautiful horde mode for GoW Trilogy, that uses Azure instead of Peer to Peer, therefore eliminating any host wonkery? That will literally print money.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Xbox One is going for 479.99 at Frys until the end of the month. Only 20 bucks but still better than nothing.

http://www.frys.com/product/7721518?site=sa:adpages page:P14_FRI date:012414

• Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    Or just release the GoW multiplayer for xbox one, because it's still one of the best multiplayer experiences ever.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I would probably down for the Halo/GoW HD collection (weird to call it that since all those games were in HD). they could also port over fable HD, fable 2 & 3 as a collection. also, crackdown! gimme crackdown 1 with updated, next gen cel-shaded graphics and 4 player co-op. you can leave crackdown 2 on last gen though... I won't miss it.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    I would probably down for the Halo/GoW HD collection (weird to call it that since all those games were in HD). they could also port over fable HD, fable 2 & 3 as a collection. also, crackdown! gimme crackdown 1 with updated, next gen cel-shaded graphics and 4 player co-op. you can leave crackdown 2 on last gen though... I won't miss it.

That's a carryover from last gen's up-ports.

We may end up with

Gears of War: Definitive Edition

or

Halo Quadrilogy: Legendary Edition

But probably not HD - that made more sense when upporting God of War or Shadow of the Colossus.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    And If I was going to be evil...

Halo 1, 2, 3 and 4 and multi all available as separate purchases... for 25 a pop. Or buy the whole thing for 60 up front.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    they already failed at updating halo 1's multiplayer, as halo anniversary was literally just HD halo CE with 9 classic maps for halo reach.
    It would be criminal if they skipped reach and ODST. maybe do two collections, the halo collection and then a spinoff collection that puts reach, ODST, and halo wars on one disc.

• Options

which is why you don't include judgement in the trilogy re-release, and you double down on what people like about Gears.

Plus, an epic, beautiful horde mode for GoW Trilogy, that uses Azure instead of Peer to Peer, therefore eliminating any host wonkery? That will literally print money.

Just because it's not included in the trilogy re-release doesn't mean that people will forget that it's there. :P

I'd love to see Crackdown 3. Plus. Crackdown had vague mentions during the One launch period, so I wouldn't be surprised to see something in that franchise fairly soon. The hilarity of killing zombies actually making more stronger zombies appear was amazing too.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    they already failed at updating halo 1's multiplayer, as halo anniversary was literally just HD halo CE with 9 classic maps for halo reach.
    It would be criminal if they skipped reach and ODST. maybe do two collections, the halo collection and then a spinoff collection that puts reach, ODST, and halo wars on one disc.

That's also what I was thinking.

Halo: Master Chief Saga

Halo: Expanded Universe

edit: and honestly I don't think it would be smart for them to try re-releasing every multiplayer style across the series. Pick the most refined one, like 3 or 4, and make that the baseline with a core set of really good maps from across the series, the most popular game types, and dedicated servers.

If there are 7 different multiplayer games, there will be shit for a playerbase.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Just because it's not included in the trilogy re-release doesn't mean that people will forget that it's there. :P

I'd consider it an intelligent "reboot" more than anything else.

When you decide to start up an old franchise on a new platform, you get a lot of say on what to do with that first game, and I think creating a good, cohesive "hook" to carry 3 over to 4 would be more than enough to get people back on board.

I mean, people loved Batman Begins, and that was preceded by Arnold as Mr. Freeze.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    there was a rumored Halo 2 anniversary, wouldn't be surprised if 343 was told to make the for XB1 instead of 360. probably halo 5 this fall, and then halo 2 next fall. maybe as a 20$ downloadable (but after halo ce anniversary was shipped on disc, probably more likely to get a physical release).

• Options
    sockssocks Registered User regular

I'd consider it an intelligent "reboot" more than anything else.

When you decide to start up an old franchise on a new platform, you get a lot of say on what to do with that first game, and I think creating a good, cohesive "hook" to carry 3 over to 4 would be more than enough to get people back on board.

I mean, people loved Batman Begins, and that was preceded by Arnold as Mr. Freeze.

Yeah, I think Rod being back on board will really help here. He'll definitely make sure things get back on track and I'm sure as little as possible will be said about Judgment. I bought and played Judgment, even had some fun with the multiplayer, but taking things back to how they were in Gears 3 is the right thing to do. I'm full of all kinds of hope for this new Gears game.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    "The Locust are back!"

"Wait? What?" said Marcus Fenix as he looked at his farmlands with anger, or rather a different kind of anger.

It's probably time for a new main protagonist too, methinks.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    a crossover game where marcus fenix, bender, and jake the dog all team up to take down their collective enemies

called john dimaggio the game

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    I'm pretty impressed honestly, and curious how things will go with Titanfall.
    Allforce wrote: »
    Xbox One is going for 479.99 at Frys until the end of the month. Only 20 bucks but still better than nothing.

Allforce wrote: »

Not until the end of the month, January 30th. Could make a big difference from me. I'm not xpecting my tax money until Jan 31st at the earliest, and loaded up an amazon gift card to purchase it. I may contact amazon to see if they'll price match and extend the offer a few days. Also, it appears amazon has a few xbox one games for $50 instead of $60.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    a crossover game where marcus fenix, bender, and jake the dog all team up to take down their collective enemies

You forgot Smiling Jack and Wakka

• Options

You forgot Smiling Jack and Wakka

ohh and all the generic baddies they fight are so voiced by dimaggio, like in the arkham games

• Options
    CleveraliasCleveralias Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Am I the only one that finds it odd that there is no mention or sign on the Xbone that Tomb Raider, the first major release since launch, is coming out tomorrow ? Not only can it not be pre ordered and downloaded, but "Xbox bing Tomb Raider" pulls up the Angelina Jolie movie, then "Xbox bing tomb raider game"gives me a documentary about the making of the reboot on the 360.

It's like they aren't even trying

Cleveralias on
    jpg.jpg
    XBox360/One/Steam - Cleveralias
    PSN - The_Vandingo
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Not only that, but the add/preview I have for the game doesn't load on Xbox one, it says there's an error.

I would love to see a price as well, or a count down to launch

Does anyone else who has Peggle 2 notice that it crashes without fail almost hourly? I've played it the least of all my games and it has definitely crashed the most, like 20 times and I've only played it for 4 hours. It just happened to me then as I was about to win a high score challenge, I'm almost done with playing it because it's so unreliable.

Also it's kind of weird that fable anniversary edition isn't coming to one

Prohass on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Also I'm probably alone in enjoying judgment the most out of all the gears

• Options
    probably a combo of the bad press from the inferior port and that squeenix probably isn't dropping a lot on marketing either.
    but I expect they'll advertise once it's in the store.

• Options
    probably a combo of the bad press from the inferior port and that squeenix probably isn't dropping a lot on marketing either.

Annoyed they put the XBO port into lesser hands, but I bet once I start playing the game I won't notice the differences, especially since I don't own a PS4.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options

Annoyed they put the XBO port into lesser hands, but I bet once I start playing the game I won't notice the differences, especially since I don't own a PS4.

What if you had both and just didn't care? :P

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Microsoft has announced plans to join Facebook's Open Computing Protocol, and is going to release all of their hardware/software/schematics/etc for Azure to the community. So, if you wanted a more up-to-date look at what exactly Azure looks like right now from an infrastructure perspective, this is a pretty great teardown.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/01/27/microsoft_ocp_participation/
    Microsoft is initially donating two designs: a Compute blade and a JBOD blade. The Compute blade packs in two Xeon ES-2400 v2 chips onto a motherboard and two compute blades can sit aside one another in a single 1U server slot. Each blade supports 6 DIMM slots, and comes with an Intel storage controller, one PCIe slot, and networking support for a single or double Dual 10G Mezzanine card or Dual 4X SAS 6G Mezzanine cards.

The company also published a design for a JBOD (Just a Bunch of Disks) blade which can cram in up to 60TB of HDDs into a single sled. Microsoft says this design pattern can cram in up to 96 servers into a 52U rack (48 1U dual-blade server slots, plus networking).

microsoftserverdesign.jpg

This is a 12U rack. It occupies about 23.6 x 13.8 x 25 inches of space. Azure is basically a whole bunch of these, crammed into shipping containers (at a density of roughly 2500-3500 servers per shipping container) and all sitting in big ol' secured warehouses, hooked up to dedicated power/cooling/connectivity.

• Options
    ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
    Am I the only one that finds it odd that there is no mention or sign on the Xbone that Tomb Raider, the first major release since launch, is coming out tomorrow ? Not only can it not be pre ordered and downloaded, but "Xbox bing Tomb Raider" pulls up the Angelina Jolie movie, then "Xbox bing tomb raider game"gives me a documentary about the making of the reboot on the 360.

It's like they aren't even trying

I got it Friday, Gamestop called me and I was like, well, I guess I can buy ONE MORE game on disc. It's wonderful!

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014

Unfortunately, it seems the xbone version actually regularly drops below 30 FPS.
    Gameplay Analysis

Xbox One
    Lowest Frame-Rate 24fps
    Highest Frame-Rate 30fps
    Average Frame-Rate 29.84fps

PlayStation 4
    Lowest Frame-Rate 33fps
    Highest Frame-Rate 60fps
    Average Frame-Rate 50.98fps

Dropping below 30 FPS is really poor and pretty shocking frankly, which either indicates a poor porting job or the power discrepancy is bigger than some are making out.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    nicopernicusnicopernicus Registered User regular
    @local h jay sorry for my poor performance in the second battlefield match tonight. Fun though

• Options
    @local h jay sorry for my poor performance in the second battlefield match tonight. Fun though

hey no worries, I was having fun. I tried to grab some clips but none of them came out good!

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I'm willing to bet it's just a poor port job

It's a last gen game and I highly doubt the Xbox One can't match the PS4 version's performance

The fact that it was put into lesser hands, and made less of a priority, though? That says something more dire than anything on the technical side

• Options
    edited January 2014
    if anything I think it's simply developers learning to walk on the newer consoles. we know games like forza look amazing on xbone and hits 60fps and 1080p consistently. I personally don't get rustled jimmies from a lower fps but I sympathize with those who do. it's not a problem a next gen console should be having, but I am sure a year down the line the differences will begin to shrink as devs learn to make games on both.
    remember the PS3 was notoriously difficult to develop for at first which lead to some inferior ports as well, but eventually it evened out as developers learned the architecture.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    if anything I think it's simply developers learning to walk on the newer consoles. we know games like forza look amazing on xbone and hits 60fps and 1080p consistently. I personally don't get rustled jimmies from a lower fps but I sympathize with those who do. it's not a problem a next gen console should be having, but I am sure a year down the line the differences will begin fo shrink as devs learn to make games on both.
    remember the PS3 was notoriously difficult to develop for at first which lead to some inferior ports as well, but eventually it evened out as developers learned the architecture.

But it never really did

The PS3 version has been getting lesser ports than the 360 version like 90% of the time, up to and including 2013

I can probably count on two hands the multiplat games that perform better on PS3 than 360 - Burnout Paradise, Saints Row 3 and 4, BioShock Infinite, L.A. Noire, GTAV...

Hell, even Tomb Raider itself was better on 360 than PS3

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Yeah, I have been playing XCOM on PS3 and the game runs noticeably worse (significantly so IMO) than it did on the 360. Dealing with the ant farm can be infuriating as the FPS can totally tank. So it's not actually a problem that goes away.

I also find "Just a bad port" a difficult explanation when it's a common thing across multiple multiplatform games. Something MS really needs to address early on.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    I feel like that's not true, I can only remember it really being a problem in the early days (the first AC I remember being much worse on PS3). i don't mean the PS3 got better versions, but that both versions performed simiarly. of course, post PSN hack, games on PS3 have been more susceptible to modding and cheating in online games. but I was under the impression that most multiplat games performed great on both in recent times? I played a few games on both 360 and PS3 last gen and rarely noticed a difference.

in any case, it can clearly output at 1080p and do 60fps. it's up to devs to do quality ports rather than shove out whatever. BF4 managed to do both and it had a shitshow of a launch across 5 consoles. maybe if devs spent more time on the games in question, we'd get a better quality build of the game.
    in the end, I am sure I will enjoy TR fine even at 25-30fps. and to be honest, I prefer a steady framerate over one the fluctuates wildly.

• Options
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Yeah, I have been playing XCOM on PS3

Nooooooo

XCOM and Far Cry 3 were games I actually had to run out and buy 360 versions of because the PS3 versions were so fucking atrocious

This discussion has been closed.