As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

iOS Games: In-App Purchases

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    ugh dang it. I'm watching a game grumps video of Civ V now I want a civ type game. Any suggestions? Maybe something lighter than Civ, or even a type of game that's between sim city and civ.

edit- actually I got this empire: deck building strategy game the other day, and it's not what I want.... I think i want to build a civ more than have strategic battles

So if I'm hearing this right you want to play Civ but you don't want to play, like, Civ?

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    ugh dang it. I'm watching a game grumps video of Civ V now I want a civ type game. Any suggestions? Maybe something lighter than Civ, or even a type of game that's between sim city and civ.

edit- actually I got this empire: deck building strategy game the other day, and it's not what I want.... I think i want to build a civ more than have strategic battles

Did Civilization Revolutions not do what you wanted?

Edit: Other ones I've heard of are Starbase Orion, Star Traders 4x, Ascendancy, and Vincere Totus Astrum. The last one is supposed to be pretty casual, but it looks like it hasn't been updated in years.

Frem on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    i dunno? reviews for civrev2 suck, should I just get civrev 1?

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Seriously, Kingdom Rush is fucking value! Finished the main campaign, and now doing the extra levels + Iron/Hero challenges. Can't wait to move on to the supposedly better Frontiers sequel. :D

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I didn't like Civ Rev at all. Haven't played 2 though, but I believe it is more of the same. I have over 500 hours in Civ V btw.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    I only play civRev on console, but I enjoyed it for what it was (stripped down but still fun civ building) and my friends finally had an understanding of why I called it "SM's One More Turn".
    (It was free for awhile on 360 so that's when I got it)

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I wish someone would Port over some of the older PC games to iOS, but not do anything major to the graphics. I'm sick of playing games that are really simplistic, but have super hidef graphics that drain the battery in like 5 minutes.

And while I'm wishing for things I wish the government would ban IAPs and also I'd like a pair of new kidneys.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    I ended up trying out Godus. It was quite enjoyable, and the IAPs did not seem quite as necessary as they are in some games even though they were pretty in-your-face about them. I almost thought I was in trouble for a while, until the game suddenly decided to delete my save for no reason. Booted up the game, logged in as normal, and suddenly I am back to square one.

I would have been pissed, and there may very well be some way of recovering the save, but honestly I am a bit relieved to be free. For someone who's into clash of clans but prefer the building aspect over the fighting, I would recommend it.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I've been playing it off and on. Last major bug I had was the game deciding to put a bunch of landscape back where I had removed it, and in doing so:

1. Created a non sculptable mountain in front of the doorway to my main farming settlement so the farmers couldn't get out
    2. Destroyed a dozen big houses, instantly making hundreds of my followers homeless and plummeting their happiness to zero right before the Astari festival so I then lost a bunch of them to the Astari
    3. Those defectors had been working on a beacon, so I lost a bunch of time on that
    4. Turned a big area of reclaimed ocean back into ocean, including an expensive land bridge

I finally had to hit the mountain with a meteor to get rid of it.

Really wish there was a way to manually save instead of hoping the servers aren't acting up.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    pslong9pslong9 Registered User regular

I think most of the poor reviews come from the fact that CivRev2 isn't significantly different from CivRev1. From what I've read, if you already have CivRev1, you can skip CivRev2; if you have neither, go with CivRev2.

steam_sig.png

3DS FC: 0817-3759-2788
  • Options
    RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    knitdan wrote: »
    I wish someone would Port over some of the older PC games to iOS, but not do anything major to the graphics.

I really wish they'd port Total Annihilation to iOS. And the original Syndicate by Bullfrog... oh and the first Dungeon Siege.

Rothgarr on
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    pslong9 wrote: »

I think most of the poor reviews come from the fact that CivRev2 isn't significantly different from CivRev1. From what I've read, if you already have CivRev1, you can skip CivRev2; if you have neither, go with CivRev2.

The only issue with that is CivRev1 is less than half the price.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Rothgarr wrote: »
    I wish someone would Port over some of the older PC games to iOS, but not do anything major to the graphics.

I really wish they'd port Total Annihilation to iOS. And the original Syndicate by Bullfrog... oh and the first Dungeon Siege.
    Thosw games would be suuuuper playable on an iPhone... :expressionless:

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Rothgarr wrote: »

Thosw games would be suuuuper playable on an iPhone... :expressionless:

I do all my playing on an iPad... I think those would all be playable on an iPad.

• Options
    mekman 2mekman 2 a goober Registered User regular
    So this is not representative of what iOS 8 Metal can do. Very nice.

Bioshock comes to ios tonight.

Bring on Dishonored, and Black Ops 2!!!

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Hopefully a quick question.

Years ago I was playing Infinity Blade 2 on my iPod Touch. In the last year I got an iPad which will make the game so much more fun to play, but I'm completely out of practice. Is it possible to reset the game back to the beginning, tutorials and all, without deleting your items and gold?

Edit: If I remember correctly there was an option for that, Rebirth or something right?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    I think so... check in the options section. There should also be like 3 save slots as well.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Quick, kinda weird question: What do you guys know about the mobile company Pocket Gems? Have you played any of their games, and what can you tell me about them?

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Here comes Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition! I'm assuming the sequel will follow it, and then hopefully PS:T after that? Please?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    868-HACK, one of the finest roguelikes on iOS, is on sale for the first time. I grabbed it last night, and it's really good! It has some of the same elements as traditional roguelikes, but they're wrapped up in some very, very different mechanics. It's almost feels like a turn-based arcade arena shooter.

Note that the tutorial only gives you the bare minimum information you need to play. You'll need to poke around and experiment a little bit to discover all the mechanics.

Also, there's no IAPs, but there are a bunch of "spells" in the reference list that are locked off; presumably you need to somehow discover them. Or click the "Unlock everything" button. But that seems like cheating.

• Options
    Hitman GO is IGN's free game of the month. Get it already, geez!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Nooo. I just bought that like a week ago. I mean, it's fantastic, but... Free!

• Options
    Agreed, get it get it get it! (I bought it the day it was released and love it)

• Options
    SpherickSpherick Registered User regular
    So I need your help remembering the name of an app. It was wildly popular about 3 years ago. It was a match 3 type game where you matched swords, potions, coins and experience gems. It was endless and you just kept going until you died. Ring any bells?

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Dungeon Raid

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Dungeon Raid. I wonder if he ever got around to making that retina update

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Dungeon Raid is so good.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    It is. It needs an update though. I want widescreen support!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dungeon Raid was good, but I feel like sessions went on for too long when you got good at it. It didn't really push back, it just kept going. And going. And going. A sequel that addressed that issue would be worthwhile.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    The free version definitely didn't keep on going on the harder difficulties

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    You exponentially grew in power, but the linear enemy scaling eventually caught up (after like, hundreds and hundreds of turns), scaling enemies with health you can't possibly deal with

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    So Hitman GO was a great pickup for free. I was not aware of that game.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Final Fantasy 3/4/5 are on sale today for $11.49

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Finally finished kingdom rush all maps heroic and iron. Now to decide which platform to get frontiers on the iPad or iPhone. Choices!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    BrewBrew Registered User regular
    Just finished Shadowrun: Returns on the iPad. Very pleasant and atmospheric. Pretty linear and not terribly challenging but very enjoyable. I'll definitely pick up the expansion when it comes out. I never touched the PC version so I don't really have a frame of reference but I thought it worked very well in the tablet form factor

1st ever "Penny-Arcade Hero Academy Tournament" Toilet Bowl Champion!
    steam_sig.png
    "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.
    And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should."
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Finally finished kingdom rush all maps heroic and iron. Now to decide which platform to get frontiers on the iPad or iPhone. Choices!

They play surprisingly well on the phone. Much as i love the screen real estate, it's pretty nice to have access to them everywhere. My vote is phone.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    So Angry Birds Stella is ludicrously polished and adds more strategic elements to the formula (carefully re-aiming birds in mid-flight and stuff) but it's just not as much fun to destroy structures by hurling birds at them if the birds don't seem to get horribly injured in the process.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I heard about Desert Golfing on a recent episode of Idle Thumbs and I'm loving it. It's basically a perfect phone game. You can play for 5 minutes and still feel like you accomplished something.

• Options
    JacobyJacoby OHHHHH IT’S A SNAKE Creature - SnakeRegistered User regular
    If anyone's playing Asphalt: Overdrive (their new lane runner game), I've made a PA forums group in game (they call them gangs). Look for Arcadians in the gang search.

GameCenter: ROldford
    Switch: nin.codes/roldford
  • Options
    AsharadAsharad Registered User regular
    I am a big fan of XCom and the Red Wasp Cthulhu game (whose name escapes me at the moment) on the iPad and am coming to you, dear Penny Arcaders for recommendations for similar type games.

Thank you in advance. Also, I will probably thank you afterwards.