Options

[Evolve] - Now going to be Free to Play on PC! Original buyers get "Founders" status.

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    Apparently there was a free content patch adding a new game mode recently. Anyone try it out? I keep wanting to pick up evolve, but my experiences in the beta kept me from slapping down the cash. Basically the same usual complaints of dragged out matches where you more or less "do nothing" (endless chasing for example). The arena mode sounds interesting but I don't know if it is just a hastily thrown together option or actually something worth playing.

• Options
    RisenPhoenixRisenPhoenix SUPER HOTRegistered User regular
    Evolve is the Weekend Deal on Steam, at 40% off to $35.99 - is anyone still playing it? I'd hate to pick it up and find that the community is almost completely dead.

I'm looking at you, Titanfall.

• Options
    MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    Apparently there was a free content patch adding a new game mode recently. Anyone try it out? I keep wanting to pick up evolve, but my experiences in the beta kept me from slapping down the cash. Basically the same usual complaints of dragged out matches where you more or less "do nothing" (endless chasing for example). The arena mode sounds interesting but I don't know if it is just a hastily thrown together option or actually something worth playing.

The answer is...complicated. It doesn't happen as much as in the beta because the whole fleet till 3 habit is (mostly) newer monster players being too afraid to try fighting it out. It still happens and you have to know how to beat it as a Trapper or as an organised team. If you don't have friends and you aren't the Trapper then good luck!

On the bright side, now is the perfect time to give Evolve a go thanks to that new mode: Arena mode. Basically a best of 3 cage match. No running, all fighting all the time.

If you get it on PS4 give me a shout: I can scratch together a tea, and we can generally hunt down those cowardly monsters quick smart.

Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    The PC version is fairly barren at this point sadly. If you look at the steam stats, there only seem to be at most about 1000 players on it at a time. Thats really bad for a game this close to release, and more often when i look at it its below the 1k mark (~7-800).

The game just lacks in content IMHO. I pretty much stopped playing after the new hunters were released because I didn't see paying for DLC content in what was a the time, a dying game. I might've even uninstalled the game at this point.

PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    Musicool wrote: »

The answer is...complicated. It doesn't happen as much as in the beta because the whole fleet till 3 habit is (mostly) newer monster players being too afraid to try fighting it out. It still happens and you have to know how to beat it as a Trapper or as an organised team. If you don't have friends and you aren't the Trapper then good luck!

On the bright side, now is the perfect time to give Evolve a go thanks to that new mode: Arena mode. Basically a best of 3 cage match. No running, all fighting all the time.

If you get it on PS4 give me a shout: I can scratch together a tea, and we can generally hunt down those cowardly monsters quick smart.

i appreciate the offer. unfortunately i would get it on xbox, and try to con one of my friends into playing since we played the hell out of l4d2. not sure how the population is faring there.

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    I picked this up on PS4 and would love to tan up with folks. Name in the sig.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    BamboozaBambooza Registered User regular
    I would agree with you dav3yb that the PC version is fairly barren at this point and it looks like the consoles are dying off as well. It’s truly a shame as this game could have been, should have been epic if not so completely hamstringed by a poorly implemented match making system.

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    yeah i haven't really played since the first few weeks of launch

which is sad because it's a really fun game, it just lacks the content

that being said, if there is a group of people who would like to get together and play custom games on xbox, i'd be down with that especially like one night a week or so just to keep playing

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    BladeOfSanjuroBladeOfSanjuro Registered User regular
    PC MONSTER RACE EDITION
    Those of you that purchased the Evolve PC Monster Race Edition will receive all content featured in Hunting Season 2: Four Hunters, One Monster, and five exclusive skins, one for each of the upcoming characters. Originally slated to include one Monster and two Hunters, we’ve thrown in the third and fourth Hunter for free as a thank you for your support. You will also receive the four exclusive Arctic skins for the Hunters from Hunting Season 1 as well.

For all the complaining about DLC, people who bought that PCMR version on steam made out like goddamned bandits. All extra hunters/monsters for whatever that initial bump was over the 60 bucks(I think it was 20?)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Ugh I had such high hopes for this game. Seeing the state it ended up in depresses me. A lot. :(

• Options
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Ugh I had such high hopes for this game. Seeing the state it ended up in depresses me. A lot. :(

Evolve was really the only big release I was excited about in all of videogaming in 2015. Since Evolve all I've played are free to plays and small stuff. Which is in its own way really good for me - my wallet and my gaming habits in general.

I was probably one of the last guys on this thread to still be playing regularly, and even I don't really care too much about the new hunters and monsters. I'll get around to them I guess, but there's no rush.

Still, Evolve got the band back together - my old gaming mates jumped on for Evolve for at least 2 months there. And while that lasted Evolve was the best goddamn multiplayer game I've played since I don't know when. So in a sense I'm actually quite grateful for Evolve. I feel like I made my money's worth. But damn, Evolve could have been so much more than just my money's worth, you know?

I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    Still love this game. When it's a good match it's crazy fun. New assault hunter is very cool, lots of burst damage and plays a lot different then the others.

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    To me it kinda lacked the soul L4D has. The monster is fun but encourages some strange gameplay maneuvers. The hunters are really boring to play against a good monster. I find myself quitting anytime I get put into a random team of hunters.
    It is definitely great for a first entry in the series, I hope they play with balance a bit more for future sequels. Some hunters are just flat out "the best" for their class. And for monsters I think most people settled on Wraith, my least favorite to fight or play as. I want variety but I also want to have fun even if I am just chasing a monster to hell and back.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    The game had a number of balance decisions which all prompt the player to ask "did the devs really actually play the game before they decided to keep this?"

Case in point: the Wraith. Boring as shit to play against, repetitive to play as. The idea of it was good (ambushing glass cannon), the execution was bad. Maggie was a neat idea, but her traps have low to no effectiveness against two of the monsters and Daisy is basically useless for an experienced tracker. Then you compare her against Abe, who can effectively track and slow any monster and put out a ton of damage very quickly.

The vast majority of the fun I had was when people were figuring out the game, before everybody figured out which were the best Hunters and Monster tactics. After that, the game became highly repetitive, because there just wasn't any point to trying neat tricky stuff anymore.

• Options
    ButcherButcher Registered User regular
    The game became repetitive after a week, IMO, and the devs charging crazy prices for new characters has only sped up killing the PC community. I don't even think f2p can save it at this point.

• Options
    The game had a number of balance decisions which all prompt the player to ask "did the devs really actually play the game before they decided to keep this?"

Case in point: the Wraith. Boring as shit to play against, repetitive to play as. The idea of it was good (ambushing glass cannon), the execution was bad. Maggie was a neat idea, but her traps have low to no effectiveness against two of the monsters and Daisy is basically useless for an experienced tracker. Then you compare her against Abe, who can effectively track and slow any monster and put out a ton of damage very quickly.

The vast majority of the fun I had was when people were figuring out the game, before everybody figured out which were the best Hunters and Monster tactics. After that, the game became highly repetitive, because there just wasn't any point to trying neat tricky stuff anymore.

Now I can get behind you on the Wraith. Personally I think they should have deliberately underpowered Wraith at launch and just waited to see what tweaks were needed to make her viable. It;'s the thing about stealth playstyles in multiplayer - they're proper bastards if they're OP but no one minds too much if they're UP. The players who actually want to play stealth will relish the challenge until it's fixed.

But as for Maggie...?! Her traps are the shit, and I don't care which monster you're talking about. Reload speed Maggie is obscenely annoying to monster players.

I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    So I jumped in on the free weekend again for a few matches. Kraken still a little OP, but that also could have been that every match for some reason the new guy was like 'gimme trapper' and I'm the hapless medic who ends up eating it first in the teamfight and the trapper's just off wherever, planting sound spikes, running perpendicular to daisy, shootin some tracking darts at reavers, whatever.

I was surprised, however, by their staunch dedication to continuing to add free skins to this game, as well as updating the matchmaking workflow for Hunt, as well as some of the UI for it as well. They now have a system kind of like LoL where you have bronze, silver, gold ranked, and you queue separately as Monster or Hunters from the get go, and it now shows your hunter type preference to your peers so you can see what they want to play, and does a fair better job of displaying the two teams and who is playing what role on each clearly to the players.

Also, the game desperately needs some more monster variety, and it looks like there's only 1 more on the way.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    So I jumped in on the free weekend again for a few matches. Kraken still a little OP, but that also could have been that every match for some reason the new guy was like 'gimme trapper' and I'm the hapless medic who ends up eating it first in the teamfight and the trapper's just off wherever, planting sound spikes, running perpendicular to daisy, shootin some tracking darts at reavers, whatever.

I was surprised, however, by their staunch dedication to continuing to add free skins to this game, as well as updating the matchmaking workflow for Hunt, as well as some of the UI for it as well. They now have a system kind of like LoL where you have bronze, silver, gold ranked, and you queue separately as Monster or Hunters from the get go, and it now shows your hunter type preference to your peers so you can see what they want to play, and does a fair better job of displaying the two teams and who is playing what role on each clearly to the players.

Also, the game desperately needs some more monster variety, and it looks like there's only 1 more on the way.

It's a shame that they waited this long to update the matchmaker. That was the primary cause for the game ablating players so rapidly.

And it couldn't pick-up new players to replace the ones it lost because the game's price tag is just fucking crazy. And they still haven't caved on it yet. x.x

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    Honestly I find any mode that isn't Hunt to be boring and tedious. So the price tag is insane for one match mode that I actually find enjoyable.

I had a LOT of fun with the game though, but with all their expensive dlc, while loudly proclaiming they are different to all the other expensive dlc models just turned me right off the game.

3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    It sounds like they're working to re-release the game of sorts? Has anyone got the emails about their new Evolve 2.0? I have the client installed on my PC at home but won't be able to try it until tonight (if I get around to it).

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    It sounds like they're working to re-release the game of sorts? Has anyone got the emails about their new Evolve 2.0? I have the client installed on my PC at home but won't be able to try it until tonight (if I get around to it).

I think you got an email for a Steam/Origin-like client which is called Evolve, which recently had a 2.0 release.

The Evolve game is already past it's 6.0 version iteration.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Let's put it this way: a Google search for "Evolve" has a healthcare education site over the game.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    urahonky wrote: »

I think you got an email for a Steam/Origin-like client which is called Evolve, which recently had a 2.0 release.

The Evolve game is already past it's 6.0 version iteration.

Wow this is embarrassing. I saw multiple emails and assumed it was just this game each time I read about it.

Oh well. Sorry to get everyone's hopes up.

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Thought I'd give the thread a bump since this is a fairly major change and might get some attention.

Evolve Goes Completely Free On PC With Significant Gameplay Changes
    Since its February 2015 release, Turtle Rock has continued to support Evolve. The game has eight more hunters than it did at launch, as well as two additional monsters. Still, many gamers saw a value mismatch, with a number suggesting Evolve would have been better suited as a free-to-play game.

We’ll find out if they were right. Evolve has been overhauled and will re-launch as a free-to-play game on PC called Evolve Stage 2, which will formally be revealed on July 7.

“When Evolve launched, the reception wasn’t what we expected,” studio co-founders Chris Ashton and Phil Robb said in a blog post. “Sure, there were some good reviews. There were also bad reviews. Yes, there was excitement. There was also disappointment – for players and for us. The DLC s***storm hit full force and washed away people’s enthusiasm, dragging us further and further from that first magical pick-up-and-play experience.”

If you already own Evolve, you’ll be granted founder status and anything you already owned will be unlocked. You'll get 3,000 silver keys, all past and future adaptations for any hunters and monsters you own, a number of weapon skins, and four founder-exclusive animated badges. Additionally, Turtle Rock is going to be doling out bonuses for founders over time.

Everything, including hunters, monsters, and skins, can be earned in-game. Most can be unlocked with earned keys. Badges are tied to progression milestones. Silver keys can only be earned. There is currently no monetization involved in the game. Everything is unlocked via playing.

Gameplay changes:
    There are a couple of key differences. Trappers were the position requiring the most skill in the original version. Isolating the monster in a dome, where it could be easily damaged, is extremely valuable to a team's success.

Now, every hunter has access to the team’s dome. It also won’t miss anymore. To balance this out, Turtle Rock has taken steps to ensure that you won’t be able to take down a less-experienced monster player in one dome.

As the monster knocks players down, incapacitates them, or takes damage, the dome will lose some of its charge. It also has a clearly visible recharge timer, so monsters and hunters all know when the next, inevitable fight is coming.

“No one liked to watch the monster not fight and die in a cage,” says lead designer Brandon Yanez. “So the entire flow minute-to-minute is just getting into fights and encouraging those fights. Dome goes up, there’s a five-minute timer, it’s ticking down. You can’t run out of a dome. If the monster gets an incap on anybody it takes off a huge portion of the time. If hunters start eating into the monster’s health, it’ll start taking increments off the time.”

In exchange, Trappers now have a dash ability and a planetary scanner that points in the general direction of the monster. This keeps the role valuable without penalizing the team for having a rookie in that slot.

All hunters will also have a very minor health recharge. This mitigates the situation in which you’re too far from a medic, or that player is still learning how to manage the team’s health.

Another big change is how the dropship respawn mechanic works. It used to be on a constant cycle of two minute countdowns. Now, it takes on more of a MOBA feel, with the timer getting longer as the match goes on.

Specific actions will increase the timer’s length. It starts at zero, but as the monster evolves and other actions occur during the match, it will permanently lengthen.

Upcoming stuff:
    Turtle Rock has plans to roll out new hunter variants, cosmetics, and other content updates along the way. As the game transitions fully into a service model, the team understands that it needs to move at a faster pace to keep people engaged.

“We realize that throughout the past year-and-a-half, patches were coming too slow. Content was coming too slow,” Yanez explains. “We’ve put a lot of work into how we build things, our infrastructure, and the engine behind it so we can patch weekly if we need to. We’re going to try and keep that up. It’s super important that we can respond to things as a multiplayer service. We can’t have an exploit be in the game for as long as it may have been in the past. We have to be very aggressive about cleaning all that stuff up.”

Beyond patching, Turtle Rock expects that it will shift quickly to a multiplayer service model for content updates. You’ll start seeing more regular drops for both cosmetic and gameplay items.

“We are going to get stuff out fast. We have four hunter adaptions that are going to be hitting in the first two months,” Yanez says. “Every two weeks roughly, you’ll get a hunter. In the off week you’ll get new perks. That’s in addition to any skins or cosmetic badges that come out. That’s our fairly aggressive showing that we can produce this stuff and that we can patch quickly. We intend to have very regular character updates, perk updates, and additions to the game beyond that.”

• Options
    I've been wanting to play this with friends for a while, so this seems like a chance to do so without having to drop over $100 on it.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    I'll definitely be picking this up if it's free. I loved the idea of this game, but the aforementioned DLC shitstorm really put me off.

I am slightly perplexed by the complete lack of monetisation though. They must be planning on bringing out a lot more new content that the can charge for in the future then surely?

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Campy wrote: »
    I'll definitely be picking this up if it's free. I loved the idea of this game, but the aforementioned DLC shitstorm really put me off.

I am slightly perplexed by the complete lack of monetisation though. They must be planning on bringing out a lot more new content that the can charge for in the future then surely?

I was the same for DLC. At least they admit what a dumpster fire it was. I love the concept of asymmetric vs multiplayer, loved the free beta (when it worked) but could never justify (and I'd been checking on sales, it barely ever got a reduction in price past 50%) shelling out what it cost.

The article said next to nothing about monetisation. It implied the keys were attainable through money but at the end had a edited note saying they were specifically told there was no way to buy keys.

Kelor on
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Hmm good on them. Having Evolve being built ground up around DLC always put a sour taste in my mouth and hopefully whoever made that call got punched in the dick and or vag repeatedly.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    It sounds like Hunters, etc will be not free. Based on the fact that if you already bought them, "anything you already owned will be unlocked."

Regardless, I'm excited for this!

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    I'm curious to see how the game has changed since the launch. I had really high hopes for the game since I feel that it's a far better 'sports' watch than MOBAs are in terms of how immediately accessible the game progress is to complete outsiders. Monster smash and gets bigger. Puny hunters try to kill it. But, a lot of the early decisions especially the fingers in ears lalalala I can't hear you yell about Lazarus just turned me off completely from playing it, and trying to get some friends who might be interested to plonk down the cash for it.

Takel on
    Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Ouch, getting switched to F2P after dying like a month and a half after release. Not the brightest sign. Well, at least the devs are trying something other than just letting it die; the overpriced DLC probably was not a great direction to go in the first place, though.

Sounds like they're definitely stripping skill-based elements out of the game, though. Monster can no longer escape the dome, everybody can throw the dome, trappers always know which direction the monster is in, health regen, constant rolling respawn, etc.

The game definitely needed more time to cook because it had some fundamental flaws, but I dunno if making it easier to fight the monster is the way to go. Guess we'll see if the experience is actually improved, and if anybody will have any interest.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Huh, I may give this a shot again then. I actually had a good time playing it at release. Got my hours out of it and just dropped it for other games. I never even bothered looking into the new hunters.

• Options
    Yeah, I had a decent time in the beta and right after release, before people started exploiting all the issues. And I think only one of the DLC hunters had even hit before I just uninstalled to free some space on my hard drive.

• Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    Everyone being able to call in the thunderdome is tempered with it being on a single cooldown plus anything the monster does reduces the duration of the dome. Incapping hunters, getting damaged etc...

Having someone drop a dome far too early being the only one in position could mean the monster wrecks them, the dome drops and the hunters are left without a dome for an extended period of time without doing anything. Of course everything will depend on how they balance the timer reduction but it does feel like the domes are less all-in than originally.

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    I like the sound of all the changes. I'll probably give it a whirl. I'm annoyed that my previous post about the game client Evolve is still up there... Ugh.

• Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    I'm genuinely curious: Are there any games that have successfully pulled off a comeback after a massive change in business model like this?

The closest equivalent I can think of is CS:GO, which initially started off as a console spin-off and it's own thing, before (after several years) adapting itself instead to be basically "CS2" in all but name by taking on community feedback and design to bring it more into line with being an updated and evolved CS1.6.

So basically, not too similar a situation.

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    This is the game that made me never pre-order a game that sold itself on multiplayer. If the Purge were real, I'd go find Evolve's house... and demand my $60 back, what...? What'd you think I meant?!
    I'm genuinely curious: Are there any games that have successfully pulled off a comeback after a massive change in business model like this?

Quite a few MMO games. DCUO is very successful but would've been shuttered without the change.

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    This is the game that made me never pre-order a game that sold itself on multiplayer. If the Purge were real, I'd go find Evolve's house... and demand my $60 back, what...? What'd you think I meant?!

Quite a few MMO games. DCUO is very successful but would've been shuttered without the change.

It really helped Lord of the Rings Online out back in the day, as well.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Wow, I forgot that I was completely excited about this game once upon a time and made this thread when it was announced.

I didn't play it because I really didn't like their DLC model. I can appreciate keeping all maps for free, but the fact you needed to preorder just to get one of the monsters and some other stuff just never sat well with me. Now that this is F2P, I might give it a go.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    So the game is $10 right now on Amazon. Worth picking up to get the "Founders" stuff?

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!