As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[House of Cards] We don't submit to terror.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Greeper wrote: »
    Matev wrote: »
    Chunked through this in 2 days (Would've marathoned it over Valentine's, but I had games and SOs to tend to)
    Holy shit.

I didn't think he would do it. Then he did it. He took down the president.

I will fully admit watching him touch the desk in the Oval Office gave me a shiver (In the good way)

I don't how they can top that without him tearing down other world leaders

I think the third season will be
    The Fall of Frank Underwood.

Watch him take as many people as he can with him.

Yeah, I don't know how far the original went/is still going(?) but I think the third season has three ways to go
    Somebody we don't even expect returns to kill Frank.

Frank finally gets caught and like... anyone he's ever talked to gets sent to prison with him

They want to keep the thing going and season 3 ends with Frank winning the next presidental race.

I think Jackie's character was a nice addition. Looking forward to seeing more of her in season 3. Seth, though I dunno...
    He could play a key role in the downfall of the Underwoods. It seems like Frank and Clare can trust him, but I'm not convinced it's all still an act. Like with Doug, you could be absolutely certain of his loyalty. I'm wary of Seth, though.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Yeah, I think the Walker presidency was mostly a product of the money that Tusk had funneled into the campaign and the talented people around him on the campaign (who Frank has systematically destroyed).

Walker can probably give a very rousing speech, has the right look, and didn't have any obvious skeletons in his closet. Smear the other guy enough with your laundered super PAC money, especially since you're in the middle of a Democrat majority, and you're probably in.

Welp, looks like I'm done with Netflix until OitNB comes back in June.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    How the UK Seasons go
    Season 1: FU is fucked over for the position he wanted after an election, so takes down the prime minister using a journalist who is in love with him. He kills her when she finds out too much. Ends with him elected as prime minister
    Season 2: After becoming PM, his right wing policies clash with the views of Not Prince Charles, who is the king now. The king becomes increasingly political and an election is called, but FU wins and the king abdicates. Everyone fails to give a shit. Also FU starts dating Not Ayn Rand, then kills her when she finds out too much
    Season 3: The Fall of FU. The UK is a right wing hell hole, and FU is gradually losing support. He starts a war to try and win back support, and catastrophically fucks it up. His new love interest Finds Out Too Much but manages to expose him before he kills her. His wife has him shot before his scandals can be made public

It seems to be sorta kinda following the seasons. 1 is rise to power, 2 is versus the big name, hopefully 3 will be the fall.

Season 1 is a great show that everyone should watch. The other two kind of blow. Interestingly, they were written by a conservative MP but show the conservative party tearing the nation apart.

• Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    Just finished it last night. I can honestly say it was even better than the first season, which for me is saying a lot.

One of the things I find most compelling about the show is its use of an ensemble cast to avoid the usual problems of unsympathetic characters. There's no one that you can really root for, only against. Any quasi-sympathetic characters (like Russo, Freddy, or Rachel) are Put on A Bus or otherwise removed in short order. Yet each character is wholly defined unto themselves, so the audience never sinks into that particular brand of apathy where one thinks, "yay, assholes being assholes to assholes."

I've read through the comments on this thread, and many allude to the "wheeling and dealing" of the show. To me such comments are indicative that the show isn't really about the politics, or the power, or even the Machiavellian schemes- it's about all these disparate individuals coming together and falling apart.

My one major criticism:
    Zoe's death was well-done in and of itself, but the fallout was pretty blatant fridging. A female character brutally murdered for the sole purpose of giving motivation/development to male characters. That entire plotline was really about Lucas. Frank's ruthlessness and utter disregard for others had already been made clear with Russo. Janine's flight was also executed as mere adjunct to Lucas' storyline- note that we never see her unless it directly involves Lucas. While I agree that killing Zoe off was the best move narratively, I feel the story took the most obvious and well-traveled route to go about it.

Predictions:
    Frank is going to fail to patch things up with China, and it's going to lead to catastrophe or even war. That will serve as the beginning of the end for him, as it'll be made clear that while he's adept at gaining power, he has no idea how to wield it. If I had to guess, Jackie and Remy will lead the charge to take him down. It fits Jackie's character- note how she almost pathologically backstabs every single person who helps her, and no one has helped her more than Frank. For two seasons they've vaguely alluded to a deep falling out between Remy and the Underwoods, while making it clear he's basically Frank 30 years younger. Finally, their pairing is a perfect foil to Frank and Clare.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Mancington,
    If you unironically use the phrase "fridging" then son you need to spend less time on the internet.

Pony on
  • Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    I finished the first two episodes of season 2
    Holy fuck! I didn't like Kate Mara or her character at all but holy hell! He fucking pushed her in front of a god damn train. Holy shit! And then they show her death by train an episode later. oh em gee! I love this show. I get the feeling Frank Underwood is going for the Presidency now. How he will do it? I can only find out I guess.

And I think its also funny that this all began because he didn't get the Secretary of State Position. Should have given him Secretary of State Mr. President.

• Options
    CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    How the UK Seasons go
    Season 1: FU is fucked over for the position he wanted after an election, so takes down the prime minister using a journalist who is in love with him. He kills her when she finds out too much. Ends with him elected as prime minister
    Season 2: After becoming PM, his right wing policies clash with the views of Not Prince Charles, who is the king now. The king becomes increasingly political and an election is called, but FU wins and the king abdicates. Everyone fails to give a shit. Also FU starts dating Not Ayn Rand, then kills her when she finds out too much
    Season 3: The Fall of FU. The UK is a right wing hell hole, and FU is gradually losing support. He starts a war to try and win back support, and catastrophically fucks it up. His new love interest Finds Out Too Much but manages to expose him before he kills her. His wife has him shot before his scandals can be made public

It seems to be sorta kinda following the seasons. 1 is rise to power, 2 is versus the big name, hopefully 3 will be the fall.

Season 1 is a great show that everyone should watch. The other two kind of blow. Interestingly, they were written by a conservative MP but show the conservative party tearing the nation apart.

I largely agree RE the UK House of Cards, but thought season 2 had some interesting things going for it that just kind of fizzled out at the end. 3 definitely seemed to go off the rails however.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I think Jackie's character was a nice addition. Looking forward to seeing more of her in season 3. Seth, though I dunno...
    He could play a key role in the downfall of the Underwoods. It seems like Frank and Clare can trust him, but I'm not convinced it's all still an act. Like with Doug, you could be absolutely certain of his loyalty. I'm wary of Seth, though.
    I think that Seth is wholly loyal. What I doubt is that he's experienced enough to handle stuff outside of general logistics and media. Once the dude has to do something along the lines like hide a sex worker or help arrange a senator's murder I think he's going to either crack or slip up.

• Options
    SarcasmoBlasterSarcasmoBlaster Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    Episode 10
    Ah, so super-hacker makes a triumphant return by finding Rachel. I get the feeling Doug is one the way out (probably of this world since he officially knows too much). His creeping on Rachel is getting in the way of his performance.

It'll be interesting to see what Remy does going forward. He's entirely capable, but he's never had to play the game with personal stakes (aside from financial I suppose.) I hope he does the right thing. He could be an interesting power player if he went rogue.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    watching the first episode, near the end
    HAHAH WHAT THE FUCK

• Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    on Walker trusting Frank too much (spoilers through ep 13)
    I think the show goes to great pains to very subtly highlight just how lonely being President is. everyone is either blindly obedient (his administration), cordial but hostile (his political opponents), or afraid to tell him no to his face but working against him in private (his own party in Congress).

even his relationship with his wife is being strained, the whole point of the marriage counseling subplot is to emphasize that Walker has no one to lean on in times of stress (it consequently also gives Frank a powerful weapon, you can bet that he and Claire chose to refer him to a minister who was also a doctor for a very good reason)

along comes Frank, who is useful and respectful but not afraid to say no. the punching bag gift is brilliant: it's a subtle "fuck you" but also a harmless prank, which incubates a sense of friendship. Frank does everything he can to win the president's friendship, which means that by the time Walker realizes he cannot trust Frank and exiles him it's obvious it won't be permanent. he has nobody else to turn to when it all comes crashing down; Frank's offer to fall on his sword appeals to Walker's view of him as a friend, rather than a political ally

Walker was looking for someone to trust, and Frank manipulated that as best he could. remember his soliloquy about how he has isolated the president from everyone, even himself?

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    watching the first episode, near the end
    HAHAH WHAT THE FUCK

YEP

THAT HAPPENED

• Options
    SarcasmoBlasterSarcasmoBlaster Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    Finished it.

Great season overall. Probably even better than the first.
    So, Season 3 has to be the downfall. It's no fun at this point if Frank wins. Stuff still in play: Rachel, Rachel's girlfriend (who will no doubt recognize Doug's face when he pops up all over the news as being murdered), the super-hacker (who now has no place to turn with Doug dead and will likely go rogue), Remy (still no love lost between he and Frank), and the new house whip (Baker I think is her character's name?). Oh, and Seth. Still not sure that he can be trusted. Oh, and the Chinese. Even Lucas may return to play. Who knows? I think Tusk is vanquished. No reason for he and Frank to continue being rivals.

I think Frank has overstepped though, and S3 is where everything is going to unravel. There are just too many loose ends at this point.

• Options
    notdroidnotdroid Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Finished watching S2 yesterday.
    Am I the only one who jumped out of his seat when he knocked on the presidential desk at the end? That scared the shit out of me.
    Regarding the future of the series:
    I hope S3 won't be the fall. I would like to see him wield his newfound power for S3 (possibly reelection) to see him fall during his "second" term in S4. A man can dream...

notdroid on
  • Options
    LorekLorek Registered User regular
    Question dealing with the end of the season:
    So just curious about how far they can take this now.. I know the US President is limited to two terms; does this count as one for Frank? If so, having him wheel & deal for re-election is probably worth exploring for a season before having his fall after being re-elected.

• Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    Correct me if I'm wrong but by the time the show's over isn't it
    2015? SO he's only got a year left as president.

The president isn't TECHNICALLY limited to two terms, but 10 years, so he can try to get elected twice more, just as point of interest. #thingsIdidn'tknow

• Options
    Greeper wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong but by the time the show's over isn't it
    2015? SO he's only got a year left as president.

The president isn't TECHNICALLY limited to two terms, but 10 years, so he can try to get elected twice more, just as point of interest. #thingsIdidn'tknow

re: timing
    it is just before the 2014 midterms

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    I think that it's going to become increasingly clear that Frank's lack of real substance is going to hurt him come season three. Furthermore the Underwoods have totally isolated themselves over season 2

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    12:44

work in morning

episode 12 of house of cards... must keep going

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    12:44

work in morning

episode 12 of house of cards... must keep going

You're making a huge mistake.

But one worth making.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I liked that they had to stop showing the screens of peoples iPhones, because of the new iOS between the 1st and 2nd seasons

• Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    The amount of apple product placement is hilarious. I guess rich people in D.C. would be carrying around iphones and ipads, but still.

I also love how Tusk still uses a CRT monitor and plebes like Lucas use Lenovo laptops.

Bubby on
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    If Frank doesn't
    fix Freddy's situation
    in season 3, I'm done with him.

Okay, not really; this season was way better than the first season, so I'm still on board anyway.

Still, Frank has appropriate cuff-links.

• Options
    Bubby wrote: »
    The amount of apple product placement is hilarious. I guess rich people in D.C. would be carrying around iphones and ipads, but still.

I also love how Tusk still uses a CRT monitor and plebes like Lucas use Lenovo laptops.

I dunno if it's always product placement in a deliberate sense. iPhones are pretty popular with that kind of crowd. Frank had a Blackberry, Russo had the Porsche Blackberry, and Jackie Sharp had a Lumia 920

Claire definitely strikes me as an iPhone person

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    If Frank doesn't
    fix Freddy's situation
    in season 3, I'm done with him.

Okay, not really; this season was way better than the first season, so I'm still on board anyway.

Still, Frank has appropriate cuff-links.

I'd love to see that happen too, I doubt it will though.
    Freddy was a good guy. He made some really bad choices when he was young and stupid, and ended up killing a couple elderly women(or was it a man and woman?) Nothing would ever change that, but he'd turned his life around. He made good BBQ and was barely making ends meet with his run down joint. Finally things are looking up for him and he just gets hit with the double whammy of his own dipshit son and obliteration from the Underwood/Tusk war

Hopfully we get to see him again in season 3.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Waffen wrote: »
    I finished the first two episodes of season 2
    Holy fuck! I didn't like Kate Mara or her character at all but holy hell! He fucking pushed her in front of a god damn train. Holy shit! And then they show her death by train an episode later. oh em gee! I love this show. I get the feeling Frank Underwood is going for the Presidency now. How he will do it? I can only find out I guess.

And I think its also funny that this all began because he didn't get the Secretary of State Position. Should have given him Secretary of State Mr. President.
    It seems to me that...
    His plan was always to become the president. Sec of state was just his next step . He would have likely used it to get more and more people beholden to him, and destroy everyone in his way. This is why his first action was to get a secretary of state he could control, because using the power of the sec of state was part of his plan.

BSoB on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    AVclub really doesn't like this show

weird

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Av club doesn't like a lot of things

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    People think this is a conservative show which is double hella weird

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    AVclub really doesn't like this show

weird

I haven't delved deep into its criticisms because I don't feel like getting spoiled but didn't they give the season a B? Not really strong dislike

And of the brief bit I read I fully agree

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    I would not be surprised at all if next season
    Is about Frank's downfall. He didn't get to take the originally planned path to the presidency and instead had to improvise a new one that ended up burning a ton of bridges. He'll finally be the most powerful man in the world but end up using/wasting all of that power fighting off his enemies instead of achieving whatever original goals he planned.

• Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    Most of the critic response Ive seen has been in "moderately positive"/"Grade: B" range, for both this season and the last.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Same here. The AV Clubs criticisms is spot on. Especially about Walker not being electable to the post of dogcatcher.

I have two of my own: One is the lighting in this show. Its been pointed out elsewhere that characters can sit in total darkness in a room with 3-4 lights turned on. Who the fuck is the interior decorator in DC? Does he/she have a thing for lights that don't illuminate anything but the wall?

The other thing is
    Zoe's death and the lack of interest from the media. Specifically, we are supposed to believe that she used Frank to become a big shot DC reporter in S1, then she dies in S2 and nobody is asking questions about her personal life? How she had such a meteoric rise and how she suddenly died. Her death should be a bigger deal then one obsessed boyfriend. Having that boyfriend suddenly commit cyber terrorism just feeds the story. If they think it was a suicide that would make the media frenzy even larger.

His paranoid ramblings wouldn't be taken seriously, but it would be reported on.

Nutcase boyfriend of suicide\accident victim claims the VP killed her and committed cyber terrorism to prove it?

Who doesn't think that wouldn't be the story of the day. Even if the framing would be on the Nutcase boyfriend.

It all comes down to the Idiot plot. Frank's success comes down to other people acting like idiots. Started skipping scenes at episode 9(I figured out the ending of the season from episode 13 last year. Frank VP? There is only one way the show could go from there).

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    I don't think it's that crazy that Walker was elected
    assuming a metric fuckton of cash was being siphoned his way. Likability and money are two of the biggest parts of winning an election and all we know about Walker's previous record is that he was governor of Colorado. We also know nothing about who he ran against or what kind of race it was.

• Options
    Inter_dInter_d Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    assuming a metric fuckton of cash was being siphoned his way. Likability and money are two of the biggest parts of winning an election and all we know about Walker's previous record is that he was governor of Colorado. We also know nothing about who he ran against or what kind of race it was.
    He also had Frank and Tusk on his side so he was pretty much guaranteed the presidency, it's only when they start turning on him that everything quickly goes to shit.

• Options
    Inter_d wrote: »
    He also had Frank and Tusk on his side so he was pretty much guaranteed the presidency, it's only when they start turning on him that everything quickly goes to shit.

The wife is just starting the series and I have to agree with this even more now. Frank states outright they never would have won without him and Linda agrees.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    i am on ep 7

so far i don't agree at all with the people saying this is better than season 1

it's a lot more sensationalized, and the characters seem to be acting a lot more rashly, without careful forethought

it lacks the slow, dark menace and gravitas of S1

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    I would not be surprised at all if next season
    Is about Frank's downfall. He didn't get to take the originally planned path to the presidency and instead had to improvise a new one that ended up burning a ton of bridges. He'll finally be the most powerful man in the world but end up using/wasting all of that power fighting off his enemies instead of achieving whatever original goals he planned.
    It seems to me that Frank never had any goals to begin with, aside from obtaining power. Has he ever really cared about policy? Every minute of work he's done throughout the entire series has simply been a means to an end in destroying his enemies.

• Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    i am on ep 7

so far i don't agree at all with the people saying this is better than season 1

it's a lot more sensationalized, and the characters seem to be acting a lot more rashly, without careful forethought

it lacks the slow, dark menace and gravitas of S1

I thought the first season was plodding, hamfisted and incredibly scatterbrained. I couldn't tell you who half of the inconsequential people or plotlines were in season 1. I actually really disliked season 1 aside from spacey's performance.

I welcomed the kind of hilariously Machiavellian over the top evil of this season.

Different strokes, I guess. I thought the first season failed at being an interesting political drama and this season I'm finding what seems to be a transition to medieval melodrama to be fun and refreshing. It stopped acting like it was the second coming of a cerebral show.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    The lighting choices are 100% thematic, not based on the environment. Frank's place is always super dark because of what happens there...
    I bet the oval will be too, next season.