As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Did You Know that your Titan can also be used as a [Giant Bomb]

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    ridiculous knife fights is the best qte

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    i get it's there "because videogames", it just seemed especially out of place given the setting, heightened realism of the graphics, and minimal HUD (and the guy takes his sweet time pressing triangle)

They just want to let you be an elite soldier without requiring the player to have the reaction times of an elite soldier, or whatever.

That's why the idea of 1:1 kinect games always makes me scratch my head a little, because do you really want your guy in game to have the same combat abilities as you? I think it would go poorly for most of us.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Okay, found out something that makes Hawken less scummy

Every week they are rotating out 3 mechs for you to try. You cant customize them, but they work just as well as the rest

So its basically using the LoL model

the lol model is the best model

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    not being able to type if you're being hit kinda sucks

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    combos being letters + special damage being higher for longer words ironically means that the game difficulty is the inverse of the word difficulty, and cookie monster has the hardest time beating m. elmo

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    i used a civil war replica that was a muzzle loader.

it didn't even have a forward sight.

American Civil War long arms were almost entirely rifles. Mostly muzzle loaders but some breach loaders. This was why the war was so bloody. They started off using Napoleonic tactics of standing in lines shooting. This was necessary with smooth bore muskets due to the horrific accuracy, it was the only sure way to cause damage. When done in mass with rifles, you end up just murdering so many people.

By the end of the war they had realized this and the battles more closely resembled trench warfare in WW1.

And obviously trench warfare developed due to the accurate and rate of fire of infantry weapons far outpacing the development of defensive measures or any methods of rapid advance. This stayed that way until armored vehicles that could withstand bullets got fast enough to be effective.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Okay, found out something that makes Hawken less scummy

Every week they are rotating out 3 mechs for you to try. You cant customize them, but they work just as well as the rest

So its basically using the LoL model

the lol model is the best model

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aG4erp40TUs

DKFA7.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    afterall we have got the maxim hotchkiss gun

and they do too

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Would just like to add to tim's post that Napoleonic tactics were not just standing in lines and shooting over and over, as is the popular conception. That did occur, certainly, but it was mostly about rapid maneuver and the threat of the press of bayonets and creating local superiority and etc etc etc.

However all this maneuvering occurred in open fields, for the most part. Which was fine with the range and accuracy of smoothbore muskets. I mean, you would take losses, of course, but acceptable ones in the grand strategic plan. When everyone had rifled guns, and some of those were breech loading? Yeah, that is going to get incredibly ugly incredibly fast.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    was NaissanceE made by the same people who made Desmond's Journey

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    he didn't conquer Russia.

because the Russians burned down Moscow..

You can't win, I quit

• Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Hey guys are video games art yet

• Options
    Jars wrote: »
    he didn't conquer Russia.

because the Russians burned down Moscow..

You can't win, I quit

Have a nice march back to france. In winter.

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Yes.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

Two reasons to turn on 3D GG

TWO

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    half a million men? well we burned our farms.

hope your army likes horse.

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular

This should sufficiently answer your question.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs5OQrdlq2c

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7GAtSIy4-w

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular

Video games are a myth.

• Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular

let me be the twelfth person to respond

tumblr_m68ariU1fy1ruztjzo1_500.gif

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    i don't want to feel like i am just slavishly sticking to a guide

because that takes some of the magic out of the accomplishment

That's totally fair! And also this way I get more footage of you failing.

So really it is win win!

<3

when everything's said and done i'm gonna edit up the footage and put up compilation videos on youtube

most likely set to songs such as benny hill and the chicken dance (which is especially appropriate since chicken is the lowest rank that metal gear games give you)

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular

Next week.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular

This should sufficiently answer your question.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs5OQrdlq2c

wha

• Options
    Like, I know we are just farting around here, but genuinely I have never understood the "videogames are/aren't art" thing.

I mean, the character designs and models are clearly art. The stories are clearly art. The music is clearly art. Combine them and they make not art?

I went to a museum this weekend and looked at some gorgeous art by Alphonse Mucha. A good 50% of it was advertisement posters for plays and designs for boxes of biscuits.

Totally gorgeous stuff though. Tempted to make an av/sig out of one work I particularly liked.

• Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    I love that everyone is talking about 3's score and Brad comes in and just "No this game's scoring SUCKS! I hate it! It ruins the game!" and everyone is just like yeah okay sure bradley

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    Like, I know we are just farting around here, but genuinely I have never understood the "videogames are/aren't art" thing.

I mean, the character designs and models are clearly art. The stories are clearly art. The music is clearly art. Combine them and they make not art?

I went to a museum this weekend and looked at some gorgeous art by Alphonse Mucha. A good 50% of it was advertisement posters for plays and designs for boxes of biscuits.

Totally gorgeous stuff though. Tempted to make an av/sig out of one work I particularly liked.

When people say "art" in that sense they mean "can it hold a deeper meaning"

the answer is still yes though.

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options

Shoot then what isn't art?

A couple weeks ago I sat in a hot spring while it snowed and watched snow pile up on the branch of a tree until the weight caused it to slide off over and over for about twenty minutes. Certainly had a deeper meaning to me. But I wouldn't have thought to have called it art.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Where's my video game modern art? I'm talking bicycle wheel in a plastic bag level here.

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Where's my video game modern art? I'm talking bicycle wheel in a plastic bag level here.

Wasn't that Bubsy 3D

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular

Too_Human.jpg

• Options
    I really wanted Too Human to be good.

I enjoyed the demo, kind of wish I had picked up the game but all the bad press drove me off.

• Options

A couple weeks ago I sat in a hot spring while it snowed and watched snow pile up on the branch of a tree until the weight caused it to slide off over and over for about twenty minutes. Certainly had a deeper meaning to me. But I wouldn't have thought to have called it art.

You need to tell that to people who look down their noses at games, not me

• Options
    AtomicTofu wrote: »

Wasn't that Bubsy 3D

I think Frog Fractions fits there too

• Options

You need to tell that to people who look down their noses at games, not me

Oh sorry man, I wasn't trying to argue with you or anything. Just kind of thinking out loud. One day we will find a way to convey tone via text on the internet and ti will be the best.

Of course, the type of person that uses words like "art" to be a gate keeper between what is good and what is without merit is also the exact kind of person I don't want to have a conversation with. Ever.

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular

speaking as an artist,

nothing

absolutely everything can be discussed in an artistic context. pertaining to videogames, it's mostly about a perceived "highbrow/lowbrow" divide, but in general, it's all about what makes for "good" art, and why

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options

But if everything is art then nothing is

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options

I don't follow.

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »

Wasn't that Bubsy 3D

art's cool ;^)

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options

I don't follow.

This is also art

2x39jD4.jpg
This discussion has been closed.