As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Let's Play] Dark Souls - Now with moving pictures

• Options
    BrewBrew Registered User regular
    pawa24 wrote: »
    Page- wrote: »
    I've got skin like an especially calloused rhino.

Pain don't bother me.

Its all good. However just for my peace of mind, you did get the message from before where there are other (read: not so painful) paths from that first bonfire.
    Speaking of the path he is taking, what happens if he kills Nito before ringing the bells and aquireing the lordvessel? Anything? Or does Nito just drop his soul like regular?
    Pinwheel is who he'll see. Past that, golden fog until lordvessel. No Nito yet.

I just realized that I am jealous of his unspoiled-by-guides-or-external-information playthrough. I want that too! Again! DS2 can't come soon enough.

1st ever "Penny-Arcade Hero Academy Tournament" Toilet Bowl Champion!
    steam_sig.png
    "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.
    And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should."
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    @Page-: that was magical. Kudos for finding some of the secrets in that area! Be sure to keep exploring, the level design in Dark Souls is some of the best ever (barring a certain segment with dragon asses, but that's far off into the future).

A bit of info: that big thing you couldn't scratch is called a Titanite Demon.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    pawa24pawa24 Registered User regular
    Brew wrote: »
    pawa24 wrote: »
    I've got skin like an especially calloused rhino.

Pain don't bother me.

Its all good. However just for my peace of mind, you did get the message from before where there are other (read: not so painful) paths from that first bonfire.
    Speaking of the path he is taking, what happens if he kills Nito before ringing the bells and aquireing the lordvessel? Anything? Or does Nito just drop his soul like regular?
    Pinwheel is who he'll see. Past that, golden fog until lordvessel. No Nito yet.

I just realized that I am jealous of his unspoiled-by-guides-or-external-information playthrough. I want that too! Again! DS2 can't come soon enough.
    Ah ok, just like the one I ran into in Anor Londo that blocks the way into Seath's area.

• Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    I think maybe what it is, is that I've warped my expectations too much. Pretty much the only thing I knew about Dark Souls before I started playing is that it's supposed to be really hard. So I go to a place and find a difficult situation, and instead of backing off and finding something easier, I figure that's just how it's supposed to be, and I keep going.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I absolutely adore this thread. You're doing good work here.

• Options
    Yes it is a difficult game. However its also pretty fair. There havn't been too many instances where I died and thought it was bullshit. I mostly said either I was too agressive or I missed a block. Something along those lines. Only a few things one shotted me, and they were definitely supposed to.

• Options
    edited February 2014
    There are some things about the mechanics that are annoying, or feel a little inconsistent, but it's not big deal.

What I mean, though, is that I've not really found a situation where I think there's nothing I can do, so I'd better leave. If it's supposed to be difficult, but I can still see that it's perfectly possible, I don't feel like I'm yet at the point where I should back away.

I'm sure I'll get more into how I feel about the game's difficulty at some point, when I've got a better grasp of what's going on.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    RadioElectricRadioElectric Registered User regular
    Vorpal wrote: »
    ... I'm not going to list all the ways to get humanity, as I feel that's too spoilerish, but I'll include a brief and rather vague explanation of the point of humanity which I will include in a spoiler below in case you do not wish to read it. (Now that you have heal it is perhaps less important to discover this early on, but then again, you have definitely chosen one of the more challenging paths).
    ... If you see messages other players have left in the game world saying 'need humanity' that is their way of saying 'you need to be in human form to access some content here'. It also may be their way of saying 'turn human so I can invade you!' ...

I don't think that's right. In my experience those multiplayer messages mean:
    "I need humanity, please upvote this message because then I will get some."

• Options
    ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    Vorpal wrote: »
    ... I'm not going to list all the ways to get humanity, as I feel that's too spoilerish, but I'll include a brief and rather vague explanation of the point of humanity which I will include in a spoiler below in case you do not wish to read it. (Now that you have heal it is perhaps less important to discover this early on, but then again, you have definitely chosen one of the more challenging paths).
    ... If you see messages other players have left in the game world saying 'need humanity' that is their way of saying 'you need to be in human form to access some content here'. It also may be their way of saying 'turn human so I can invade you!' ...

I don't think that's right. In my experience those multiplayer messages mean:
    "I need humanity, please upvote this message because then I will get some."

RadioElectric has the right idea. Interacting with other people's messages can gift them humanity. There are lots of other rules regarding free humanity and Estus refills that are quite difficult to grasp, but I don't think our OP is too concerned about them.

Regardless, for everyone (including myself) trying to urge the OP down different paths, remember this - there is almost no wrong way to progress in Dark Souls. So long as you ARE progressing, you're getting closer to victory, no matter what direction you take. Some routes are harder than others, but all must be fought through in time, and taking a harder route prior to an easier one will leave the OP better equipped and better trained for what's yet to come. So let him do what he's doing. It's awesome to be along for the ride.

g4OlSIF.jpg
  • Options
    I'm totally wincing as I read his descriptions, but I am completely entertained and cheering him on quietly.

• Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    I remember having a test like that in school. Turns out I was one of the few that read it all first.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    I bet you made a lot of friends on that day.

stream
  • Options
    Jean Claude Van CalmJean Claude Van Calm 'sup? Awesome Possum.Registered User regular
    I remember having a test like that in school. Turns out I was one of the few that read it all first.

Hehe, they did this to me in school too. Then it was attempted again when I went to the biomed technician course with the military. As soon as they explained the "rules" the teacher handed them out, I just handed it back and said I'm done and left. I was very fortunate to have been right on that day lol.

Anyways, more on topic. OP you are... you are something else man, can't imagine you in Demon Souls.

PSN: Grimmsy- Xbox Live: Grimmsy
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Hehe, they did this to me in school too. Then it was attempted again when I went to the biomed technician course with the military. As soon as they explained the "rules" the teacher handed them out, I just handed it back and said I'm done and left. I was very fortunate to have been right on that day lol.

Anyways, more on topic. OP you are... you are something else man, can't imagine you in Demon Souls.

This wouldn't be nearly as interesting in Demon's Souls, due to level structure.

And I'm fairly certain that "test" is something everyone sees at some point... but I've seen them be too clever and the "correct" response actually requires violating the instructions.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Whoops.

Polaritie on
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Still, despite the entertainment of Page-'s stubbornness, it's generally a good idea in Dark Souls to explore different directions instead of just butting your head against a single thing, if progress feels really slow or tedious. Sometimes there's a better way.

I'm still pretty impressed with the progress so far, primarily because I chalked up anything past the skeletons in the graveyard as something to look into later, and not as the first thing to explore.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Yeah, impressive work so far. The moment I hit a skeleton and it got back up, I said 'bye'.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    First time I encountered those skeletons I got torn apart.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I think we need to give him a hint as to what humanity is.

Also, while its impressive that he is where he is so early, i dont want him to get frustrated and quit. I'm sure a lot of people picked up dark souls found that same entrance he did and gave up on the game quickly due to the difficulty curve.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    I think we need to give him a hint as to what humanity is.

Also, while its impressive that he is where he is so early, i dont want him to get frustrated and quit. I'm sure a lot of people picked up dark souls found that same entrance he did and gave up on the game quickly due to the difficulty curve.

Those people are silly for not even looking elsewhere for a place that might be less challenging.

• Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    ruzkin wrote: »
    Interacting with other people's messages can gift them humanity.

This isn't actually true. Everyone assumed it for the longest time, but it's been proven wrong. The only way you get free humanity aside from of picking up and using items is by killing lots of monsters in an area where you haven't beaten the boss yet.

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Day 05

I found some clothes today.

Down at the bottom of the Catacombs, the valley floor covered in perpetual twilight by its distance from the pale light of the cloudy sky above, I found the body of a priest. Down at the bottom of the Catacombs, where the lights of morality and sanity are too faint to be seen or felt, I stripped the dead priest, and I donned his holy robes, wrapping myself in the warm, rough fabrics. And then I killed some monsters. It felt good.

The Catacombs

I have finally done it. I have made it to the bottom. The end is in sight.

No skeleton can stand in my way now. Not that they have to: I'm becoming better at parkour, or at least the falling parts of it. My ankles are strong. From the bridge near the waterfall I can leap to the cliff below, bypassing the treasure tomb entirely. This helps me get to the last tomb faster, and though I do take some damage during the landing, it's not enough for me to stop doing it.

jump-spot.jpg

Inside the last tomb I descend on the poor skeletons with a furious purpose. They don't stand a chance. There are a pair of them standing at the bottom of a ladder, in the room with the coffin in the middle and the holes in the floor. I jump down on them, club swinging. I don't stop swinging until nothing in the room is moving except for me.

Now there's just the two skeleton archers in the hall below, and I'll be in the valley proper.

I slide down the ladder and set my targeting sights on the archers. I move toward them, keeping to the left wall. When they fire their arrows, I step to my right, dodging easily. I stick to the right side, waiting for them to fire again. After that, I'll be close enough to start killing.

Klank, klank, klank.

I leap at the first archer, striking through his rib cage with my club. I turn to the other, wanting to send it tumbling as well.

Klank, klank, klank.

On my left, and slightly behind me, is the opening leading to the valley floor.

Klank, klank, klank.

Through the door steps a massive shape. An armoured figure half again as tall as I am. In his right hand is an axe that probably weighs more than I do, in his left hand is a thick, solid-looking shield. The armour is smooth, metallic, shining dully in the dim light.

He does not look friendly.

I forgo the killing blows on the skeleton archers, not wanting to be cornered at the end of the narrow hall. I turn around and run for it. This is a new problem, and will require additional planning. As it is, with the skeleton archers backing him up, I don't even feel safe taking a swing at the armoured figure, and I'm certainly not going to let him take a shot at me. I have no way of knowing how strong he may be. It might finally be time to turn back.

I get to the ladder and start climbing.

Klank, klank, klank.

I look down. The armoured figure appears to be stuck. He's just walking into the ladder and occasionally swinging his axe in frustration. Looks like he's not about to drop his weapon, and with full hands there's no way for him to follow me.

dark-knight-1.jpg

I try to time my leap between his swings, and I land behind him, but I'm immediately riddled with arrows, and then an axe hits me in the back. I die.

This time, when I get to the room with the holes in the floor, I get both skeletons to come up the ladder at me, and kill them at the top. I go down the ladder again.

Klank, klank, klank.

It's nearby. Below me: the holes in the floor lead to a small room that overlooks the valley. I hear the footsteps of the armoured figure leaving that room, and then dropping down to the valley floor.

I go down to the final hall and retrieve my body. Soon enough, the silhouette of the huge knight appears at the end of the hall, and he walks slowly, menacingly, toward me. I can't fight him here. There's not enough space. I run down the hall, dodge past him, and exit onto the valley floor. Finally.

Outside, after leaving the narrow rock mouth of the tomb, I am standing in a shallow pool of water. The entirety of the valley floor is carpeted in layers of old human bones, corpses, and bits of busted pottery. How long had people been dumping bodies in here? Near the rock walls the bones are piled so thickly that they've become lumpy hills. There are a couple of Skull Ghosts floating through the air nearby. And half a dozen skeletons riding around in spiked wheels. They see me, and as one they roll at me. I dodge a few, but eventually I lose track of them and one crashes into my back, drilling into my exposed flesh, running me over. I die.

valley-01.jpg

I return to the room above the knight's perch, I move carefully, skirting around the walls, keeping well away from the holes. I'm able to get down without disturbing him, and I kill the skeleton archers.

I enter the valley again, just far enough to be seen by the nearest pair of skeleton rollers. I retreat back to the hall, and wait for them to come. One of them rolls into the wall of the doorway, and I'm able to safely hit it with my club till it dies. It only takes 2 swings, even without holding my club in both hands. The next one goes down the same way.

Out in the valley I take the time to look back, confirming the location of the dark knight.

valley-02.jpg

I can see him, just standing there. I think that if I can clear out all of the skeleton rollers, I'll have more than enough space to try fighting the dark knight. I get to work.

Things don't go so well. Leading the rollers back to the hall is the best tactic: in there they don't have enough space to roll far past me, while in the valley I have to chase them down, which sometimes gives them enough time to start rolling again. They're not overly difficult to deal with, just annoying. Being hit by one full-on is always a death sentence, as I become locked in hitstun and my HP melts away like it was never there. If I manage to block the charge, I fair a little better, but I still take significant damage, and usually I lose all my stamina before they pass. The worst part about them, though, is that once they begin the animation for their roll, I can't stop them, I can't make them flinch. I can be mid attack, smashing one of them right in the face with my club, and it will hop up and roll right over me, killing me dead.

I clear out the first 4 rollers. I can see 2 more in the distance. I start toward them. I don't think I'll be able to outrun them back to the tomb, so I'll have to fight them in the open. I dodge away from the first roller, then the second, and suddenly there's a third, coming out from somewhere I couldn't see. It hits me, but only a glancing blow. I start running back toward the tomb.

In the distance I see the knight. Something down here has attracted his attention. He drops down from his perch.

I book it for the tomb entrance. I'm not about to fight 3 of the rollers and the knight at the same time. I make it to the hall, then back up the ladder. None of them can follow.

I take a moment to heal up. Should I go back to the bonfire, spend some of my Souls, and reset their positions? I'm about to do just that, when I remember the holes in this room's floor.

If all of my enemies are busy smashing away at the bottom of the ladder behind me, what's to stop me from going out the same way the knight did, and exploring the rest of the valley now that it's empty? Nothing at all, and I'm not about to look this gift horse in the mouth. I wouldn't even know what the teeth are supposed to look like, anyway.

I drop down to the valley floor and start running for the far end, where I can see the rock walls narrowing. On the right, on a slightly elevated plateau, is a shiny item. I run toward it. There's no ladder or any other way of getting to it. I keep moving.

Behind me, I hear the clattering sounds of the rollers as they zoom across the valley toward me. I keep running. The rock walls narrow, bend to the right, then the left. Then I see a wall of shimmering light. I walk through it, just as the rollers crash into where I'd been standing. They cannot follow me.

I can't go back, not with those rollers so close, so I have to keep going forward. I haven't been walking for long at all when I find my ultimate destination. There's an opening in the ground, like a stone coffin the size of a large house had been buried here ages ago, and someone had cracked the lid open enough to get in and out. What can I do, except jump in?

Before I land, a cutscene starts up. I'm in a large, rectangular room, combination evil necromancer lab and library. The walls are lined with alternating piles of dead bodies, tomes, and scrolls. At the far end is a large creature, shape uncertain, wearing a black robe. It's huddled over a skeleton, working busily. Is it the thing that's been reanimating all of the Catacomb's dead? If I'm going to take my clerical mission seriously, this thing has to die.

It senses my presence and spins around to lock its 3 masked faces on me. The lamps dangling from its jutting, stick-like limbs sway and clatter.

Pinwheel

pinwheel-pic.jpg

The fight begins, and I'm not sure what to think. Pinwheel dances around the room, occasionally disappearing for a moment and then reappearing elsewhere. Sometimes he creates copies of himself, who also dance around the room. I walk to the nearest Pinwheel and hit it with my club. It disappears. Must be a clone.

Honestly, I'm not sure what to do for the first minute. I'm circling the room slowly, not ready to commit to offence, waiting for some sort of pattern to be shown. Every now and then he, or one of his clones, leaps into the air and tosses a large, slow moving fireball in my direction. They're as easy to dodge as they are to see coming. After clubbing a few copies I figure out that I'm supposed to find the original, but he's not doing a very good job of hiding himself. I can always tell which he is, because he moves differently, and his lamps are lit up. Eventually I realize that he's really not going to do anything, so I start attacking him. But in the back of my mind I'm still waiting for his inevitable burst into attack mode. I'm in a state of permanent hesitation, waiting for the hammer to drop. Even like that I take out 2/3rds of Pinwheel's HP before he and his clones finally hit me with simultaneous fireballs, killing me.

I'm not going to lie: after all that I've come through to get here, this boss is a disappointment.

But I've got something else I want to take care of now. I'm going to try and get the item on that plateau near the valley's floor. I can even see how to do it: when I drop down to the last tomb's entrance I don't enter. Instead, I look over the edge. I can see the sparkle of an item directly below. In this, I have no hesitation. As I've said, my ankles are strong.

I fall, and I land with a thud. I lose plenty of HP. It doesn't matter, because I've got what I wanted. I'm on a ledge now, and the corpse I loot has an Undead Soul. But I'm not done yet. Below me is the item I'd seen in the valley. I line myself up, and drop down again. A corpse is hanging limp over the edge of the plateau. Maybe he tried to jump down the same way I just did? If so, then his ankles were not strong. I loot the body.

And I find my clothes. A priest's hood, robe, and baggy trousers. Real progress, at last. I put my new clothes on, heal up, and prepare to face Pinwheel again.

As soon as I start moving, I feel the weight of the heavy fabric I'm wearing. I run noticeably slower, even my dodges and rolls feel sluggish. But I'm willing to pay this price, not only for the extra armour the robes provide, but just to finally feel like a human being again. No amount of Humanity will suffice when I comport myself like a cave-dwelling savage, wooden club and all.

I return to Pinwheel's lair.

pinwheel-01.jpg

This time he is given no respect, and no quarter. He is a joke, but also a loathsome creature, so I treat him appropriately. I beat on his lumpy body, relishing every blow landed, until I finally smash my club, 2-handed, into the back of his 3 heads, dropping him to the ground like a sack of old bones. He never moves again.

"Victory Achieved"

I get a bunch of items as reward, including one of Pinwheel's masks. but its stats are not better than the priest hood I'm wearing, so I don't use it.

Frankly, this entire development has been a letdown. In fact, the reason I'm using a stock picture of Pinwheel is because he died so quickly that I forgot to take an in-game screenshot.

I also get one of those bones that teleports me back to a bonfire. There's no other way out of here, so I use it.

I have over 15000 Souls now. I sit down at the bonfire and level up, taking endurance and strength. The endurance is probably wishful thinking on my part, since it's description says it has to do with the weight of my equipment. I'd like for better endurance to restore some of the speed I've lost, but my equipment stat only says that I can become sluggish if I'm overburdened, not that a higher weight allowance will help me run faster again. But it gives me some stamina as well, and that's nice to have. I take more strength just because I enjoy smashing things with my club now, and I'd like to be able to smash things even harder.

post-pinwheel-bonfire.jpg

I notice that wearing my robes has already doubled my defence stats. I can sacrifice some speed for that.

As a cleric (and why not claim that title now?), I believe I have accomplished my mission within the Catacombs.

As a battle-tested, club-swinging warrior, though, I have some unfinished business to attend to. There's the little matter of an armoured asshole with a really big axe, and how he seems to think he can get away with chopping me in the back. I've killed Pinwheel, and there's no way I'm taking shit from some tin plated fool.

On my way back down, newly buffed as I am, I decide to give the demon statue another visit. Not that I expect to kill him just yet--my damage is still too low for that--but I want whatever he's guarding, if he thinks it's that important.

Turns out the item is just a few Eyes of Death, which are used in PvP, and are completely useless to me.

I no longer see any reason to bother with the skeleton rollers. They're too unpredictable. I'm going to take the fight to the armoured knight directly, by dropping down on him from above, and fighting him on his home turf.

As might be expected, he doesn't appreciate my gumption. The first couple of times I land near him he chops into me with his axe before I can stand up straight. Eventually, though, I get into the room successfully. This guy puts up only marginally more of a fight than Pinwheel did, and only because he has a couple of attacks that kill me in one hit. But he's so slow, the way he swings his axe is so obvious, and I've got more than enough space to dance around him, whipping in and out of his range, giving him swift, sharp poundings with my club, and I'm always gone again before he can react. The fight would have made Muhammad Ali proud.

dark-knight-2.jpg

After all is said and done, I am rewarded with a White Titanic Chunk, and the Black Knight's Greataxe, which is large and impressive looking, but the requirements are a bit lofty for an Undead in my Soul range: 36 strength and 18 dexterity.

Still, it's nice to walk around with.

axe.jpg

From what I can tell, I have done what needed to be done in the Catacombs. I can leave now, if I want, but I still have one more thing I want to check up on.

Down in the valley, nestled between the two largest mounds of bodies, is a curious opening in the rock of the cliff walls. When I was down there, scoping out the path ahead, and the path behind, I could hear the sound of metal on metal, as if there was a smithy nearby pounding away with his hammer. I drop down to he valley and clear out all the skeleton rollers.

There is a wall in that opening, and the closer I get, the louder the sound of hammering becomes. Unfortunately, I can't figure out a way through. There's no break in the wall, it doesn't fall away when struck, I find no indication of a switch I can manipulate. A little dismayed, I retreat back to the waterfall bonfire.

hammer-wall.jpg

Now that I have collected all of my spoils, I take a bit more time to examine them.

When I killed Pinwheel I got the "Victory Achieved" message, but it came along with a reward: the Rite of Kindling. I open my inventory, take a look, and finally get a clue about the use of Humanity.

The Rite says that I can use Kindling to increase (collect?) additional Estus, which I assume means I can gain more charges. To Kindle, I need to not be Hollowed, and to achieve that I need to reverse my Hollowing, which requires Humanity. It's not very clear what all of this will achieve, or whether I need Humanity for the kindling as well as reversing my Hollowed state, but it's a whole hell of a lot more information than I had before.

The only problem is that I don't have any Humanity, so I can't test any of this. However, Humanity will be gained, in time, so I don't mind.

I am ready to leave the Catacombs at last. On my way out of the bonfire, I check on Patches. He's gone.

When I came to this place I was confused, and timid like a child. I leave it with my head held high, as only one who has plumbed the depths might. It's probably just my imagination, but I would swear that the skeletons I face on the way up are the ones acting scared. As well they might. Now it's them who hesitate during combat, and it's me who takes the lead, striking them down with a bold certainty that has replaced the anxious, uncertain fighting style I had when I first entered these horrible tombs.

At the top of the valley I take one last moment to feel my victory. I look back, I see each tomb, in descending order, and I know that I have faced everything they had, and come out on top. Well, except for the demon statue, but he'll get his.

The entire structure of the Catacombs is apparent to me now, and I feel it both as a physical place, and as the collection of challenges it presented. In the end, when I'd reached the bottom, I felt like, instead of reaching my nadir, I had finally crested the wave. Down there, I could finally see what lay before me, and, though the ground was flat, I moved forward with downhill momentum. After all I'd been through, maybe I shouldn't have been surprised that the final struggle turned out to be not much more than a formality. Maybe I should have known that I'd already won.

catacombs-exit.jpg

Up through the last tomb, the last group of poor skeletons, who had once been such a threat. Finally, ahead, I see the light of day.

light-of-day.jpg

I return to the Firelink Shrine feeling satisfied. I may still have no idea why I've been brought to Lordran, or what my ultimate goal is, but I know one thing: whatever stands in my way will fall. Though I have no clue what their purposes may be, I know that whoever brought me here has gotten more than they bargained for.

But that's for next time.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I had a feeling you'd happen upon the hammerite through some form or another. There is a way there, but it requires more exploring. Also, you'll find that brutal dungeons often have the easiest bosses, ironically.
    Nicely done.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    The Rite of Kindling before ringing a bell? Quite well played, sir.

• Options
    Confession: I'd actually been writing a day ahead, just in case I got stuck, since I expected the bottom of the valley to be harder, so that I could have something to publish in the meantime. The only reason this entry is done so soon is because I beat it so quickly, and I wanted to start a new entry when I was ready to move on.

stream
  • Options
    I have a feeling you'll soon find yourself disappointed to a degree in your foes. Briefly.

• Options
    Lucas ArcherLucas Archer Registered User regular
    Nicely done. Pinwheel is a chump. What mask did he drop?

And I really like your writing style.

• Options
    Nicely done. Pinwheel is a chump. What mask did he drop?

And I really like your writing style.

I don't think I've ever fought Pinwheel before getting to the point where I kill him before he even splits for the first time.

• Options
    I saw that he wears 3, but the one he drops is random?

It was the Mask of the Father, which has marginally better magic defence stats than my priest hat, but is worse for everything else.

stream
  • Options
    I saw that he wears 3, but the one he drops is random?

It was the Mask of the Father, which has marginally better magic defence stats than my priest hat, but is worse for everything else.

There might be a mechanic to it, I don't remember. At any rate, they all do something useful beyond their raw defense stats I believe. One of them boosts stamina recovery and is quite popular for that reason (defense isn't everything - the best defensive stuff is heavy as hell, so you have to invest to use it and all... and even then it's not like you can ever reach the point where enemies are doing negligible damage, aside from some basic chumps).

• Options
    ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    GO PAGE.

Seriously, awesome job, awesome writeup. Pinwheel is indeed one of the easiest bosses - many people call him Pincushion for just that reason - but the Catacombs is a bloody tough area to start in and you endured magnificently. As others have said, you're going to find the upcoming enemies quite easy by comparison, but the difficulty will soon catch up with you and you'll be knee-deep in challenges.

You've got lots of options now, and none of them are wrong, so explore and enjoy yourself.

g4OlSIF.jpg
  • Options
    ruzkin wrote: »
    GO PAGE.

Seriously, awesome job, awesome writeup. Pinwheel is indeed one of the easiest bosses - many people call him Pincushion for just that reason - but the Catacombs is a bloody tough area to start in and you endured magnificently. As others have said, you're going to find the upcoming enemies quite easy by comparison, but the difficulty will soon catch up with you and you'll be knee-deep in challenges.

You've got lots of options now, and none of them are wrong, so explore and enjoy yourself.

Well, technically, there are some areas he could stumble upon that would still be hard and wreck him... but I doubt he'll find them before those easier areas.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Father increases equipment load as well as giving stats. However, the equipment load increase is relatively minor, and since it doesn't give good stats itself, it's *probably* better to just wear efficient headgear to begin with.

Minor equipment weight related spoilers:
    Max load is very important regardless of how close to it you are; what roll you have is based on what quartile of your burden you're currently on. Being overburdened is awful, but even jumping from just under to just over, say, a quarter weight can be significant. Combine that with stamina being very necessary for blocking, dodging, and stringing attacks together, and endurance starts to look like the god-stat.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    milski wrote: »
    Father increases equipment load as well as giving stats. However, the equipment load increase is relatively minor, and since it doesn't give good stats itself, it's *probably* better to just wear efficient headgear to begin with.

Minor equipment weight related spoilers:
    Max load is very important regardless of how close to it you are; what roll you have is based on what quartile of your burden you're currently on. Being overburdened is awful, but even jumping from just under to just over, say, a quarter weight can be significant. Combine that with stamina being very necessary for blocking, dodging, and stringing attacks together, and endurance starts to look like the god-stat.
    Endurance IS the god-stat. I've never heard of any serious pvp build without 40 endurance.

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    Congratulation on the catacombs! And yeah pinwheel is a huge chumpola.

One piece of advice. Take another look at the mask you got from him. It does more then raise your defense, it has one of three magical effects

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Its description does say that it increases equipment load, but I thought (since I had just put on clothes for the first time, and was noticing the difference actually wearing something made for speed) that meant it weighed more. Which was odd, because it had the same weight as my priest hat.

The English language is a strange, vague beast.

stream
  • Options
    Pretty sure the Masks got hit with the nerf bat in an update, they were that good.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    Its description does say that it increases equipment load, but I thought (since I had just put on clothes for the first time, and was noticing the difference actually wearing something made for speed) that meant it weighed more. Which was odd, because it had the same weight as my priest hat.

The English language is a strange, vague beast.

This reminds me of something

The amount your equip load is taken up DOES affect movement speed, in three tiers. 0-25%, 25-50%, and >50% equip load. I'll let you figure those out on your own though.

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    FiskebentFiskebent DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I hope I can avoid spoilering things for myself and play DS2 like you play DS1. It can be really frustrating but when you overcome the obstacles on your own, it's really satisfying.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Man, when you get to the low level areas you're supposed to start in you're going to be so dissappointed.

Steam ID: Right here.