As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV:ARR] Old thread is old, use the new thread!

• Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    I kinda miss giant pauldrons and big black boots, if you know what I mean.

Tank classes definitely have this covered if you use the heavy sets.

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    The coliseum gear is pretty skimpy for both genders. Same with just about anything that has a subligar as part of its set.

It's hilarious.

• Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Also, how do I get it to use Rend and Shining Topaz?

Let me guess, a later Arcanist quest will allow me to convert him into a Topaz Carbuncle, and swap those skills about? I've seen orange Carbuncles about, see.

I'm guessing Topaz Carbuncles are more Warrior-type, what with the melee and aggro-drawing moves.

Correct, minus the convert part, you simply get it as another summon you can use.

Which is good, because if you're in a dungeon, you will want to use Emerald over Topaz.

So many ACN go into dungeons with Topaz out, and it ruins everything. It is the worst. Topaz is for soloing.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Khavall wrote: »

Let me guess, a later Arcanist quest will allow me to convert him into a Topaz Carbuncle, and swap those skills about? I've seen orange Carbuncles about, see.

I'm guessing Topaz Carbuncles are more Warrior-type, what with the melee and aggro-drawing moves.

Correct, minus the convert part, you simply get it as another summon you can use.

Which is good, because if you're in a dungeon, you will want to use Emerald over Topaz.

So many ACN go into dungeons with Topaz out, and it ruins everything. It is the worst. Topaz is for soloing.

That makes sense. When you're alone, you want a tanky pet to keep the heat off you. But in a team, you've already got teammates, and presumably tankers, so it's better to just add another source of magic damage with Emerald. Right?

• Options
    Khavall wrote: »

That makes sense. When you're alone, you want a tanky pet to keep the heat off you. But in a team, you've already got teammates, and presumably tankers, so it's better to just add another source of magic damage with Emerald. Right?

Right. And then if you want to get saucy, you can use the tanky pet if the tank dies or disconnects.

Or decides to run into walls for 10 minutes.

• Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Having the pet tank mobs can be viable in some dungeons. At the very least, off-tanking a mob in the three avers pull just before the boss in Stonefort(?) can be a really big help if the party is doing the place at level/gear and not level synched ilvl90+. I specifically remember that pull because it was the only pull that I had to burn Divine Seal AND Presence of Mind to keep up with the healing on the tank since that pull cannot be CC'd.

I'm not sure how good a pet tank is in the higher level dungeons, on account of not having a high level arcanist but at the very least, the first three dungeons are all tankable with an appropriate level Puglist/Lancer. Just need Flash and Skull Sunder/Savage Blade for threat generation.

I think my favourite run of a low level dungeon was with a newbie tank. After the first few pulls, which were rather messy, the healer apologised saying that the tank had just started playing MMOs and it was her first time tanking. So yeah, I offered to give them a bit of a tutorial on tanking. Told how to execute the pulls, the basics on generating and holding threat, emphasised the point on AoE threat on the pull to prevent the healer from getting mobbed and how to do ranged/LoS pulls. It was great seeing a newbie tank get more confident and competent as the dungeon run went on. The tank got some nice loot out of the place and I got three commendations :3

edit:
    Oh yes, on the subject of tanking... Something to be aware of is that there is no grace zone between having the highest amount of threat and taking aggro.
    Unlike in WoW, where there is a 10% buffer for melee and 30% for ranged; as soon as you get the most threat you have aggro. This does mean that as a tank, if you lose aggro, it can ping-pong around a fair bit even with the assistance of Provoke.
    Threat generation is also high growth but low instant, which means as a healer it's possible to spike your threat early in the fight before threat gets solidly locked in. An example of this is single healer runs for the Hard mode primals (Sorry Ifrit, you don't count) where there's lots of early AoE that is somewhat threatening, so the healer has to manage the healing rate as all healing threat will fall on that one healer. 11k HP worth of threat (1400x8 is totally doable with a single Cure III) is a huge spike after all...

Takel on
    Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    Takel wrote: »
    Something to be aware of is that there is no grace zone between having the highest amount of threat and taking aggro.
    Unlike in WoW, where there is a 10% buffer for melee and 30% for ranged; as soon as you get the most threat you have aggro. This does mean that as a tank, if you lose aggro, it can ping-pong around a fair bit even with the assistance of Provoke.

the best abuse of this in FFXI was the six black mage party, which was the absolute best. you form a ring. one player pulls a monster that has only melee attacks. everyone unloads on the monster, but as soon as you draw aggro, you stop. the end result is a monster that spends 95% of its time traversing long distances instead of attacking. it was the MOST hilarious party setup i have ever been in.

• Options
    And be aware that if a mob has decided to do a special attack on the person that pulled agro in the few seconds it takes to get agro back, it will chase down that person regardless of your threat until it attacks.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Decided to return back here from other MMO daliances. God the difference is night and day. It really is. Being able to chug a level of leveling out in an hour by doing genuinely fun stuff. . .amazing.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    Decided to return back here from other MMO daliances. God the difference is night and day. It really is. Being able to chug a level of leveling out in an hour by doing genuinely fun stuff. . .amazing.

Having fun in an mmo!? What is this heresy?

Oh wait. It's just FF14.

Welcome to a subscription based mmo that actually gets a constant influx of large content packs and ease of life tweaks every 3 months instead if a dead, content-less, endgame-less, theme park f2p mmo that only focus on cosmetic items for people to buy and stagnate within months.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular

Oh wait. It's just FF14.

Welcome to a subscription based mmo that actually gets a constant influx of large content packs and ease of life tweaks every 3 months instead if a dead, content-less, endgame-less, theme park f2p mmo that only focus on cosmetic items for people to buy and stagnate within months.

Tell us how you really feel :)

I've been back for about a week now after a brief stint in Wildstar. The contrast is pretty stark - WS is fun enough, but it's surprisingly difficult to get immersed. The pacing is also a bit too frantic for me.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    I'm enjoying ffxiv a lot but my gaming time is limited enough that I'm not sure I can justify a sub fee even though this would be a great way to spend one.

I'm also not interacting too much with people because I'm on PS4, not sure if that will effect my long term enjoyment. Communicating with a pad is a bit of a faff. I tried using second screen for keyboard but I still need to select the chat box first using my pad.

steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    I had a cheap wireless keyboard (20 bucks) lying around. I just use that for chatting. Got me interested in using KB/Mouse, but I am used to the controller. It was actually a chore having to "look" at my action bar to select which ability I wanted to use versus a quick controller press.

Agree about WS. In particular the lore. . .I just don't care. They really haven't struck a good balance between humour and seriousness. FF seems to have a good balance, but this is obviously a FF game with a clear "We're looking at the end of the world here. . ." scenario (I still didn't know what the hell the big bad in WS was).

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    There are a number of nameless NPCs that actually have great lines. One I remember off the top of my head is this guy and a pair of "working women". The women were trying to entice customers, while the dude was trying to warn people away, "Watch yourself, them two gave me crotch rot!"

The writing in XIV is solid and generally consistent with the world. WS on the other hand always seemed all over the map to me. However, WS is more WoW-like with its story/NPCs in that you don't care about the who/what/why all you care about is how many whats-its you got to collect from the whos-its. XIV on the other hand does all it can to force you to pay attention to the story/NPCs. Sure you can ignore it, but by God you're gonna have to sit through it anyway. (The stories are actually pretty good though)

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
    How can we get immersed into a world with BOTH bunny-girls and cat-girls. Everyone know you only have one or the other!

Having spent the weekend getting caught up, I have to say I'm impressed with what they've added. I like that the story quests keep running and are well put together. Seemed kind of pointless at first but the little Gentleman of Light story events are fun and interesting. Even if they don't unlock new dungeons or loots I'm actually intrigued to continue the story. Really impressed the HM dungeons are really completely different events entirely. I was expecting them to reuse the floor plans and then just update a few of the bosses and was pleasantly surprised. And I realized I missed most about the MMO was the music, love all the new pieces so much. Only thing I wasn't impressed with was the PVP which was mostly meh.

Now I just need to figure out how to get the ilvl 90 gear effectively.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    I'd bet good money on Banga and Viera, or a different take on the races, being playable in an expansion.

Oh wait. It's just FF14.

I've been back for about a week now after a brief stint in Wildstar. The contrast is pretty stark - WS is fun enough, but it's surprisingly difficult to get immersed. The pacing is also a bit too frantic for me.

I'm just reminded of good games like Tera, which had pretty much the best battle system in an MMO ever, turn to shit because: a) They never added any new endgame or fun content so people ran out of things to do. b) Went F2P and thus added in nothing but cosmetic dress-up shit instead of actual dungeons and fights and things to do.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    I'd bet good money on Banga and Viera, or a different take on the races, being playable in an expansion.

Oh wait. It's just FF14.

I'm just reminded of good games like Tera, which had pretty much the best battle system in an MMO ever, turn to shit because: a) They never added any new endgame or fun content so people ran out of things to do. b) Went F2P and thus added in nothing but cosmetic dress-up shit instead of actual dungeons and fights and things to do.

I liked TERA a lot and picked it up on US launch (after trying it at PAX and loving it). My biggest problem with TERA is that once you hit group content it got a lot more difficult to just sort of pick it up and play.

What I love about FFXIV is that it's super easy to get into whatever I want to do at any time, and there's content available for pretty much every increment of time I have to play. Even just popping in and doing a DF Roulette guildhest in <10 minutes feels like a great use of my time as a work break.

• Options
    Axen wrote: »
    There are a number of nameless NPCs that actually have great lines. One I remember off the top of my head is this guy and a pair of "working women". The women were trying to entice customers, while the dude was trying to warn people away, "Watch yourself, them two gave me crotch rot!"

The writing in XIV is solid and generally consistent with the world. WS on the other hand always seemed all over the map to me. However, WS is more WoW-like with its story/NPCs in that you don't care about the who/what/why all you care about is how many whats-its you got to collect from the whos-its. XIV on the other hand does all it can to force you to pay attention to the story/NPCs. Sure you can ignore it, but by God you're gonna have to sit through it anyway. (The stories are actually pretty good though)

There are two waitresses in Limsa that are mugging a dude who thought he was going to get lucky.

• Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    I still miss this guy from 1.0. Wonder if SE's one Radiohead fan stuck around somewhere.

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    as a summoner you're gonna use garuda like 99% of the time

Oh wait. It's just FF14.

well the alternative is shutting everything down and getting nothing so I think your complaint is a bit overhanded

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Praise be!
    Greetings,

Good news, everyone!

In patch 2.3 we’ll be making adjustments to the camera so that when entering boss battle areas in dungeons and such, the barrier that is erected to seal the battlefield will not affect it.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/166375-Camera-Distance-Forced-When-in-Front-of-Boss-Walls?p=2227195#post2227195

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    So, can you only be joined with one FC? Someone in the game is inviting me to one, but I know that the people here have one as well.

Enlong on
  • Options
    So, can you only be joined with one FC? Someone in the game is inviting me to one, but I know that the people here have one as well.

One FC, multiple linkshells (which are basically just private chat channels with some management capabilities).

• Options
    I see. I'm trying to decide which one to join, then.

...he says to one of the FCs in question.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    I see. I'm trying to decide which one to join, then.

...he says to one of the FCs in question.

You should totally join ours, anyone can invite you or just put in an application to GHOST and one of the officers will accept it pretty quickly :)

Alternatively just let me know your name and i'll invite you myself

Delphinidaes on
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    I'm on right now. Can anyone invite me to GHOST? Vanni Scudetto is the name.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    I'm on right now. Can anyone invite me to GHOST? Vanni Scudetto is the name.

invite sent

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    Not that I'm complaining, but can someone explain to me how my poisoning and disease-inducing spells had any effect on a golem?

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Magic!

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    Not that I'm complaining, but can someone explain to me how my poisoning and disease-inducing spells had any effect on a golem?

Think of it like an acid or something :)

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    I have to agree with Magic:

PbIclPd.gif

FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • Options
    Private Chambers Preview!

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/e0ec6f44c2cfb3dc4d7267bb84c794de31482c6b

06/30/2014 8:00 PM
    Private Chambers Preview (06/30/2014)

Today's patch 2.3 preview offers a peek into private chambers, a new way of adding a personal touch to free company estates.

Requirements for Private Chambers
    Before purchasing private chambers, players must first attain level 50 with at least one class. Furthermore, players must have attained the rank of second lieutenant in the Maelstrom, the Order of the Twin Adder, or the Immortal Flames.
    * The size of private chambers is the same regardless of estate size.
    * All estates are allowed up to 512 private chambers.

Pricing for Private Chambers
    300,000gil

Settings for Private Chambers
    Just like with estate settings, players will have the option to change their room name, edit the greeting for their room, and grant access to other players.

Interior Decorating
    Players can customize the interior walls, flooring, and ceiling light of their private chambers.

Furnishings
    Players can place up to 50 furnishings in private chambers, with the ability to choose from among all furnishings available in the estate.

Placing a furnishing in private chambers will bind it to you, preventing future trade or sale to other players. Moreover, certain furnishings cannot be retrieved once placed, and will be permanently discarded upon removal.
    * Certain furnishings including vendor NPCs and crafting facilities can only be used by the private chamber's owner.
    * Depending on server conditions, the number of furnishings permitted in private chambers may be adjusted in a future update.

Vacating Private Chambers
    Players must be on free company property in order to vacate their private chambers. Moreover, private chambers must be vacated in order to leave a free company.
    * Gil used to purchase private chambers will not be refunded.
    * All furnishings must be removed before vacating private chambers.

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    EmzedohEmzedoh Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Is there anyone online to throw a stranger an ginvite? I picked this up when it was on sale a few days ago, pretty happy with it! One question though - after questioning my life choices I was going to head to Gridania and switch to Conjurer, but should I head back to Ul'dah once I'm caught up or should I just keep doing whatever I'm doing by that point?

Character name is Jacques Reynard, look forward to playing with you guys!

Edit: /who doesn't work? How do I find members of Ghost?

Edit edit: Thanks Aiskoena!

Emzedoh on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    So what this means is that you can never remove someone from a free company ever again.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Emzedoh wrote: »
    One question though - after questioning my life choices I was going to head to Gridania and switch to Conjurer, but should I head back to Ul'dah once I'm caught up or should I just keep doing whatever I'm doing by that point?

whatever you feel like! you can basically just change classes back and forth whenever you want. you could play conjurer, see if you like it, and if you don't, nothing lost!

i got archer to 15, decided to try a few different classes, and ended up changing my main class to marauder, which is now at 22.

Lucedes on
  • Options
    So what this means is that you can never remove someone from a free company ever again.

It doesn't seem particularly well thought out.

• Options
    EmzedohEmzedoh Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Lucedes wrote: »
    Emzedoh wrote: »
    One question though - after questioning my life choices I was going to head to Gridania and switch to Conjurer, but should I head back to Ul'dah once I'm caught up or should I just keep doing whatever I'm doing by that point?

whatever you feel like! you can basically just change classes back and forth whenever you want. you could play conjurer, see if you like it, and if you don't, nothing lost!

i got archer to 15, decided to try a few different classes, and ended up changing my main class to marauder, which is now at 22.

Now I'm a conjurer! :D
    Now I'm stark naked! D:

They really ought to tell new players not to vendor their level one armour in the tutorial, huh?

Emzedoh on
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Tonight I will grind for my first mount.

I am tired of running everywhere.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Hmm... well, I did get WAR to 38 the other night with several Sunken Temple runs, which went well for the most part.

However I didn't get any progress on it tonight as I might have gotten into fishing... by which I mean, my new fishing class is now 23.

Also, my god my poor inventory...

• Options
    edited July 2014

Yeah. There's a huge problem with this. Not being able to kick trolls or asssholes or people who've quit the game after they bought a room and put a single furnishing into it is a huge deal. This needs to be fixed.

They should make it so the room just exists in some netherspace and you just don't have access to it again until you join a new free company.

vagrant_winds on