As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TECH] WHO SMARTWATCHES THE SMARTWATCHMEN (nerds inside)

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    What is the difference between swift key and the iOS one?

The popup menu seems to be the same.

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »

You can drag your finger and it also learns better

• Options
    edited September 2014
    For instance it doesn't seem to do it yet but SwiftKey for Android will sync to any account you choose like Twitter or Gmail and read how you type to adapt its library

Langly on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »

Drag your finger like swype?

Cause I've ticked "allow full access" but that doesn't appear to be happening.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    For instance it doesn't seem to do it yet but SwiftKey for Android will sync to any account you choose like Twitter or Gmail and read how you type to adapt its library

No it still does that you have to click on the app and the option is in there

SwiftKey seems to be working pretty well for me

Def better than swype

I assume the keyboard not causing the screen to scroll up is a bug and that it'll be fixed soon

poo
  • Options
    Idk it's picking up my weird typing

Like I got it to say tho when I want

poo
  • Options
    Dang it is buggy tho

poo
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I use the standard Google Android keyboard and it works great. I have predictive typing or whatever it is called cut off because it never one time actually suggested the word I wanted to use next. Probably because I have really erratic sentence structure and diction so it could not really get a read on things. Otherwise it works great though.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    LockoutLockout I am still searching Registered User regular
    I love how the ios8 keyboard covers up whatever I'm typing. That sure is a nice feature they added.
    Weaver wrote: »
    This new autocomplete bar right above the keyboard that constantly shifts and mutates as I type is really messing up the ability of my eyes to focus on the phone screen. Is there a way to go back to the iOS7 version?

@Metalbourne‌ @Weaver‌
    Turn Off Predictive Text
    The new predictive text feature in iOS 8 puts a menu above your keyboard that predicts the next word you're going to type so you can type faster. It's supposed to get better over time, but if you're not a fan, you can disable it. Just head to Settings > General > Keyboard and set the "Predictive" toggle to off.

How to Fix iOS 8's Biggest Annoyances [Lifehacker]

f24GSaF.jpg
  • Options

Yeah idk that's all I did and it is working for me

• Options

You might be having the same problem I did at first. Inside the Settings app, go to General > Keyboard > Keyboards. You've probably already added the SwiftKey keyboard, as the app walks you through that the first time you open it. What you'll probably also want to do is tap "Edit", remove the default iOS English keyboard, and move SwiftKey above the Emoji keyboard.

If you don't do this, the default iOS keyboard still pops up first. You'd have to cycle through it and the emojis by pressing the little globe-looking button between the numeral key and the spacebar.

But if you've taken care of that and it still isn't working, open the SwiftKey app itself again, after the first time (cause it's an introduction to adding the keyboard at first). Tap "Keyboard Settings" then "Other ways to type". Make sure SwiftKey Flow is on.

f24GSaF.jpg
  • Options
    I rebooted my phone and swiftkey won't now acknowledge that I allowed it full access, flow stopped working, and the theme won't change

Reinstalling didn't help

Worked fine till I restarted my phone

poo
  • Options
    that's weird. hopefully Apple or SwiftKey will address that quick. I've restarted once since updating and installing SwiftKey, paranoid about doing it again now
    I went to the Apple Store this morning, the line we around the corner of the block and to the end of that street.

I went, I'll come back at 11, there will be no line then.

At 11 the line had shortened by maybe 70 meters. It still went around the corner. I talked to the apple employee at the end and said that they won't have any stock for me even if I tried to ride out the line.

He said my best bet was to check the apple site at midnight and see if of there was any stock relisted for tomorrow.

No phone for Blake.

Don't know what it's like where you are, but in the US, Apple stores aren't the only iPhone retailer anymore. I've heard Best Buys here have stock and are comparatively empty

f24GSaF.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah, I think SwiftKey is cool but it is currently buggy and not working for me

Update it soon plz devs

poo
  • Options
    Oh man I just saw sony's smarteyeglass thing and it looks like shit, wow

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    oh is it on ios now? swiftkey on android is the very best. Also, @weaver if you give it time it will learn you. I'm sure it doesn't work for everyone, but it definitely gets better quickly.

• Options
    zerzhul wrote: »
    oh is it on ios now? swiftkey on android is the very best. Also, @weaver if you give it time it will learn you. I'm sure it doesn't work for everyone, but it definitely gets better quickly.

Yeah ios 8 introduced new keyboards FINALLY

• Options
    After years and years they were like fine peasants have your keyboards

• Options
    i disabled full access and re-enabled it and it fixed it

still buggy tho but hey works again

poo
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    When I text I type in lots of inflections, slang, exaggerated syllables and symbols.

I mean, then that just means that swiftkey is the best for you.

Because unless you change up your slang and inflections and stuff to be completely random every time, it is definitely the best at picking up your word usage and running with it

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    new iPhone 6 - got. Coming from a 3GS, it is a _lot_ faster...

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    new iPhone 6 - got. Coming from a 3GS, it is a _lot_ faster...

going to pretty much anything from a 3gs is going to be faster.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    Loving the six

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Apple's whole "No Flash" thing was annoying enough when it meant that half the time I wanted to watch a youtube video on my iPad, I couldn't.

But when I'm using safari on my laptop and I regularly have to switch to Chrome to watch a video. That's a stupid thing.

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    I like the fingerprint unlock, it is super slick. In which note, I really must get a case but the Apple Store only had green ones left.

• Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    Artreus wrote: »
    Apple's whole "No Flash" thing was annoying enough when it meant that half the time I wanted to watch a youtube video on my iPad, I couldn't.

But when I'm using safari on my laptop and I regularly have to switch to Chrome to watch a video. That's a stupid thing.

On the other hand, fuck Flash

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    My 6 just arrived. Just got it setup.

Here is a graphical representation of me after going from an iPhone 4 to a 6.

tumblr_lg7if2DAYv1qafrh6.gif

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Played a little with one at work

It's solid, but I like the 5 form factor more. The thinness isn't that noticible, and I liked the angular edges more. Way more distinct in a sea of curved phone bezel.

The plus is hilarious. It is almost literally just an iOS galaxy note.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Okay what am I doing wrong here?

I am trying to use 1Password. I set it up on my pc and my iphone and synced the two together with dropbox so they have the same passwords. I change my Gmail password and Yahoo email passwords on the PC using 1password and sync it to my phone. The logins show up in my vault.

Copy the password from the 1password app. Go into the email section of the settings and paste the new password in. Neither works. I get an error saying the password is incorrect on Google and server is unavailable on yahoo.

Both work on my PC so the passwords are correct.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    Did you set up device passwords for google?

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    Can anyone here outline major differences between lastpass and 1password? I don't have any iOS devices just pcs and Android phone

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    This new autocomplete bar right above the keyboard that constantly shifts and mutates as I type is really messing up the ability of my eyes to focus on the phone screen. Is there a way to go back to the iOS7 version?

Tap in it and swipe down to hide it

• Options
    Did you set up device passwords for google?

Like how so? I used the PC version to generate a password that I put into google on my PC and it changed. I tested it. Then I pulled the synced password off the app on the phone and pasted it into the apple setting for the gmail account and it did not work.

• Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    how the hell am I supposed to free up enough space on my phone to update the iOS

real problems, folks

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    Snowbear wrote: »
    Can anyone here outline major differences between lastpass and 1password? I don't have any iOS devices just pcs and Android phone

a few things, mostly centered around the business model and who has your data

LastPass has a free version and a paid subscription that lets you sync across devices. 1Password is a for purchase piece of software that you buy once, and it will continue to work as it. They do release major version updates and will charge for them (existing users often get a discount)

Lastpass stores all your biz on their servers in the cloud. 1Password store them in an encrypted proprietary file you can save on a thumbdrive, or you can optionally sync over iCloud, or for cross platform goodness, Dropbox. If you're really paranoid/security conscious, they also have a wifi-only sync, so they data stays on your local network.

They're put a lot of hard work into a gorgeous suite of app across every major platform and I've been a happy user for years.

Both have trials on desktop and freemium versions on iOS and Android, so you can try both and go with the one you like.

Oh, so 1Password supports multiple password vaults, so you could share one with family or friends and still have your personal stuff in a separate vault.

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    how the hell am I supposed to free up enough space on my phone to update the iOS

real problems, folks

delete your valuable memories that you can't get back!

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    I want the new Kindle Voyage even though I just got a Paperwhite last year. I am hopelessly gadget obsessed.

• Options

I am trying to use 1Password. I set it up on my pc and my iphone and synced the two together with dropbox so they have the same passwords. I change my Gmail password and Yahoo email passwords on the PC using 1password and sync it to my phone. The logins show up in my vault.

Copy the password from the 1password app. Go into the email section of the settings and paste the new password in. Neither works. I get an error saying the password is incorrect on Google and server is unavailable on yahoo.

Do you use 2 Factor Authentication for your Google account? If so, for stuff like Mail.app or a desktop client or whatever that don't support the newer authentication methods, you'll have to create an application specific password.

google.com/account > Security > App Password (something like that)

• Options

real problems, folks

Settings.app>General>Usage>Manage Storage

Delete a few apps, download them again after the update

Flipboard, for some godforsaken reason was taking up damn near two gigs

Facebook is half a gig alone

• Options

Do you use 2 Factor Authentication for your Google account? If so, for stuff like Mail.app or a desktop client or whatever that don't support the newer authentication methods, you'll have to create an application specific password.

google.com/account > Security > App Password (something like that)

Hmm. My gmail doesn't use 2 factor but my yahoo does, which might explain why it isn't working.

I changed the gmail password to a simple one and it worked fine on the iPhone. Is there something I'm not doing right to copy the super long email out of the 1password app and into the password box in the iPhone mail settings screen?

This discussion has been closed.