Options

Pinny Pal Community Thread 2.0 - Please read the first post :)

• Options
    Drayven_DarkoDrayven_Darko Canberra, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Fitz, did you already get your assignment? I thought kwaizy/RiOT hadn't finished the schedule yet.

Drayven_Darko on
    "Sometimes I doubt your commitment to 'Sparkle Motion'."
  • Options
    FitzchivalryFitzchivalry PAXAUS Cookie Brigade Coordinator Orrstrahleeeeah mate!Registered User regular
    Fitz, did you already get your assignment? I thouth kwaizy/RiOT

It was more of a *hope* more so than knowing. Lists havent been released yet :)

• Options
    Manic2kManic2k Brotherhood of the Squirrel [AUS]Registered User regular
    Well mtg is still tabletop :p

Pinny arcade - Pin Pals community page: www.facebook.com/pinnypals
    Community Pinny Arcade Trading web site: http://www.pinnypals.com
    Pinny Arcade - Pin Pals twitter: @PA_PinPals
    SubReddit:http://www.reddit.com/r/pinnypals
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/pinnypals
  • Options
    I'm sure Beker will have some swing in securing your services for Pinfo booth.

• Options
    reneguagereneguage Registered User regular
    Community Notice:
    I was planning on holding a small BBQ for international PinPals, however due to personal circumstances I won't be able to organise anything.
    I'm really sorry to have to bail on everyone but I'm not in a position to take on a whole lot of responsibilities right now.

That being said I will still uphold my end of my PinPal agreements, also stepping down from the Hardcore level of pin collecting, there's just too many and they're coming too fast for me to keep up

• Options
    pvp_pandapvp_panda Registered User regular
    @reneguage‌ Sorry to hear that! Hope you still have a blast at PAX AUS =)

• Options
    purevalpureval Somersworth, NH Registered User regular
    @zerzhul Did you get/see the PM I sent you a while ago?

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I did, yes... and apparently managed to forget to respond. Response sent.

• Options
    fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Just wondering if many pinpals here were planning on staying at the Crown Metropol for PAXAUS?

It's the closest hotel to the venue so I figure a lot of you probably are but I thought I'd check.

I'd ask this in the PAX forum but I'm really only interested in where the pin crowd is staying.

• Options
    DuckieDuckie Squirrel Squad Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    @fishfishmonkeyhat‌, my partner and I are staying at the plum apartments which are about 600m from the venue.

We wanted metropol because it's where we stayed last year but everything we could afford was already booked out when we bought our passes (most likely because of Melbourne cup) :(

Pinny Pals Lanyard | I make things!!

[X]PAXsouth 2015
    [X]PAXaus 2015
    [?]PAXeast 2016 ???
  • Options
    AyefkayAyefkay Queensland, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Im sure my Nonna wont mind if I invite a few of you to stay with me over the weekend. And being italian means she wont have to cook more food than she normally does!

My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    FitzchivalryFitzchivalry PAXAUS Cookie Brigade Coordinator Orrstrahleeeeah mate!Registered User regular
    I'm staying at the Hilton (onsite, attached to MCEC). YAY FOR LUXURY THAT I CANNOT ACTUALLY AFFORD.

*thanks be to mastercard, may we bathe in its cheerful warming light*

• Options
    foehammerfoehammer procrastinator extraordinaire melbourneRegistered User regular
    i am alas staying at home nearly a whole hour from the venue
    but that is free so more pins yay

• Options
    Staying on Market St in the city. Booked through the PAX site accomodation partner. I hope it's nice, it's costing enough to be nice.

Has anyone thought about a Pin Pal meetup? It'd be great to meet some of you pinthuisasts in meatspace.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Staying on Market St in the city. Booked through the PAX site accomodation partner. I hope it's nice, it's costing enough to be nice.

Has anyone thought about a Pin Pal meetup? It'd be great to meet some of you pinthuisasts in meatspace.

There is one planned for Club PA / PinPals.. from the Club PA email by Khoo:
    snipped

There is also a formal pin trading area so alot of us will hang around there :)

Khoo note: That's not for public consumption.

Robert Khoo on
  • Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Still looking for someone to be my pin savoir for PAX Aus... help :bigfrown:

• Options
    dchoydchoy OregonRegistered User regular
    Still looking for someone to be my pin savoir for PAX Aus... help :bigfrown:

Tell me about it... lol

PAX Prime attendee since 2008.

Another year of Prime gone by... commence the struggle!

https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/dchoy
  • Options
    foehammerfoehammer procrastinator extraordinaire melbourneRegistered User regular
    i will be getting extra for trading online also as meany of 13 as i cam get

• Options
    dmosineedmosinee Davenport, IARegistered User regular
    My Wife and I will be going to the first Pax South, and would love to find someone willing to swap sets (and maybe some of the floor trades, although that might get complicated) with us from Pax Aus. I know this is my first post on the PA forums which might seem suspicious, but we are serious pin traders (see pic I just took). I mail stuff internationally on a regular basis so I know I can send things down under no problem.

qndpdi9nprjg.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Digital Lanyard, I love trades - https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/dmosinee
    http://pinmash.info - Two pins enter, one pins leaves... then the other pin leaves with a lower Elo rating
  • Options
    darkinferodarkinfero BOP-IT Malden, MARegistered User regular
    dmosinee wrote: »
    My Wife and I will be going to the first Pax South, and would love to find someone willing to swap sets (and maybe some of the floor trades, although that might get complicated) with us from Pax Aus. I know this is my first post on the PA forums which might seem suspicious, but we are serious pin traders (see pic I just took). I mail stuff internationally on a regular basis so I know I can send things down under no problem.

Thanks for looking!

What are you looking for.

My Pin collection
    signature_zpsna6t17lm.png
    Pinny Pal since PAX Prime 2013
  • Options
    Not sure if this has been mentioned before, just found this while scrolling through twitter. http://pinnywise.com/index.html An iOS app to keep track of your pins. looks nifty, do we know who is the creator, any of us by any chance?

My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    Ayefkay wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been mentioned before, just found this while scrolling through twitter. http://pinnywise.com/index.html An iOS app to keep track of your pins. looks nifty, do we know who is the creator, any of us by any chance?

No, but I got to play with it early. Expect more details on the podcast when we record.

• Options

SHITE PLATFORM WHERE IS ANDROID VERS

• Options
    thats what I SAID, had to test it on mums phone *shivers*

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    HejenergyHejenergy Registered User regular
    I'm the guy behind the Pinny Wise app. Long time lurker and PA fan, but have never had an account on these forums, and didn't want to create one for the sake of the app as that would feel super spammy. I'm not a programmer at all, but like to do iOS stuff as a hobby. I've been closely following Pinny Arcade since the beginning, and working on the app has been a really fun way to participate in it.

Unfortunately, no plans to make an android version. Like I said, I'm not a real programmer, and I'm up to my eyeballs already just working on the iOS version in my free time. The idea is pretty straightforward though, and I'm sure anyone with some Android experience will be able to make something similar pretty quickly (which seems inevitable as Pinny Arcade keeps growing...). Anyway, thanks for the link! Hopefully a few of you will get some utility out of the app!

• Options
    Hejenergy wrote: »
    I'm the guy behind the Pinny Wise app. Long time lurker and PA fan, but have never had an account on these forums, and didn't want to create one for the sake of the app as that would feel super spammy. I'm not a programmer at all, but like to do iOS stuff as a hobby. I've been closely following Pinny Arcade since the beginning, and working on the app has been a really fun way to participate in it.

Unfortunately, no plans to make an android version. Like I said, I'm not a real programmer, and I'm up to my eyeballs already just working on the iOS version in my free time. The idea is pretty straightforward though, and I'm sure anyone with some Android experience will be able to make something similar pretty quickly (which seems inevitable as Pinny Arcade keeps growing...). Anyway, thanks for the link! Hopefully a few of you will get some utility out of the app!

In an ideal world, you would team with Georgemonkey and combine the app with the site, making The Most Useful Software In The World (For Us, Anyway).

The quantity count is something I know he wants to add to the site, and I'm sure if you combined efforts there would be a reduced workload for the both of you.

• Options
    PedroAsani wrote: »

In an ideal world, you would team with Georgemonkey and combine the app with the site, making The Most Useful Software In The World (For Us, Anyway).

The quantity count is something I know he wants to add to the site, and I'm sure if you combined efforts there would be a reduced workload for the both of you.

THIS. DO THIS RIGHT NOW

And yeah, android, master platform yadda yadda :P

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    i would love one for windows phone
    ok i will stand in the corner now

• Options
    Its ok, friend. I too was a misguided fool once....one day, you will see the light........ :P

Seriously though, i actually really like the windows tile UI, alot better than just ICONS EVERYWHERE. Was just sick of it having 0 app support.

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options

Don't shortchange yourself man, I've been a "real programmer" for a long time now, and I've seen plenty of work from other "real programmers" that is truly awful compared to what you've put together here. I know better than most that it takes a very real time investment to bring a non-trivial app all the way from concept to app store.

If there is some real interest in cross-platform apps and/or integration with the pinnypals site, I can probably be of use -- but I don't want to step on Hejenergy's toes with the great work he has done.

http://pinmash.info - Two pins enter, one pins leaves... then the other pin leaves with a lower Elo rating
  • Options
    Seriously though, i actually really like the windows tile UI

Black listed! You have to sit in the corner of the queue room at Aus for 10 minutes before you can enter the convention this year so you can think about not saying dirty words again.

• Options
    darkinfero wrote: »

What are you looking for.

Hi,
    We're looking for what the first post of this thread might call an "enthusiast" pin trading partner going to Pax Aus. We'd love to find someone who could proxy buy us the show set and anniversary pin at Aus, and we would do the same thing for them at South.

I would have asked Manic2k to get into one of the established enthusiast groups, but it looks like there is already someone pending in the South spot for every single group.

• Options
    I'm pretty sure that 'pending' means there's nobody in that spot. I'm sure Manic can hook you up with a group if nobody jumps on your offer.

• Options
    FrostbyteFrostbyte Registered User regular
    I'm the guy behind the Pinny Wise app...

Just downloaded it and filled out my collection. The app is very cool, thank you so much for making it! I really enjoy the history/info you add to each pin, as well as the rarity scale. Great job!,

• Options
    FrostbyteFrostbyte Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    My reply posted twice, and I can delete a post sooooo, edited it to this :) move along, nothing to see here 8-)

Frostbyte on
  • Options
    Seriously though, i actually really like the windows tile UI

Black listed! You have to sit in the corner of the queue room at Aus for 10 minutes before you can enter the convention this year so you can think about not saying dirty words again.

Actually, the tiles make sense ergonomically for touch devices, because they are easier to poke with your fat fingers.

But since 95% of MS installations are on desktops and servers, they aren't so helpful. Couple that with the freakout factor of changing the UI in a business environment, where nobody likes having to relearn how to do their job, and Win 8 is a huge failure.

Typical Ballmer-era thinking of "ship what we have and make them want it" rather than build what is wanted and make it awesome. Now the virus has left the building, maybe the Celtics will start to beat the Jazz Microsoft will be able to get back on track.

I still wanted Bob Muglia from Server and Tools to take over. He was the best thing to happen to that division. That's why Ballmer ousted him. He didn't like the competition.

• Options
    Frostbyte wrote: »
    I'm the guy behind the Pinny Wise app...

Just downloaded it and filled out my collection. The app is very cool, thank you so much for making it! I really enjoy the history/info you add to each pin, as well as the rarity scale. Great job!,

I'm using it for my trades only. It's useful to keep track of how many of each I am carrying. Would have been a huge asset at Prime.

• Options
    SerpicoBCSerpicoBC Registered User regular
    I'm going to think of it the same way, @PedroAsani. To be able to see what I have in two seconds instead of thirty "hold on, it's on the other lanyard" seconds will make my life vastly easier.

• Options
    HejenergyHejenergy Registered User regular
    Thanks all for the support :)

As for Pinny-Pals cross functionality – that kind of thing has definitely crossed my mind. To be honest, the original “core-functionality” that I wanted to create with Pinny Wise was something like a mobile-friendly version of the “Pin Quests” pdf that PA puts out, that people could use at PAX’s to keep track of 1) where to find each pin 2) how many they still had to track down to complete the PAX set, and 3) how many copies of each pin they have (for pals, etc). This plan has had limited success so far though, since PA publishes the new pin info so close to each PAX, I barely have enough time to get them in the app and submitted to Apple (+ ~10 day Apple review period) for it to be useful.

Since creating the app though, I definitely feel like the next logical step of having all your pins on your phone, would be the ability to link that with an online profile (like pinny-pals), and to use that info to make trades. I’m going to work on it – but honestly don’t know if I’ll pull it off (at least anytime soon). Online synch is hard to do right, and VERY disruptive to the experience when it doesn’t work properly. (Trade requests based on outdated/incorrect info, etc). It might be a while before I’m able to pull that off, unless I find a way to leverage some apple frameworks (iCloud, gamecenter) to do it for me.

(As for integrating with pinny-pals specifically, I have not reached out to them and don’t mean to presume that they would entertain this. Honestly, right now it would be much easier technically for them to make an app front-end to their existing web service than to try integrating our two different code bases. If anything, I’m the one stepping on their toes at the moment, as p-pals is the original community.)

Anyway, very glad to hear that it’s getting some use, thanks for the kind words, very encouraging! :)

@dmosinee‌, Have at it! I have absolutely no claim to pin-related apps :) All I've done is make a fancy checklist, nothing revolutionary. I fully expect (and encourage) others to enter the space.

[now off to work on the Halloween pins update]

• Options
    fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I'm staying at the Hilton (onsite, attached to MCEC).

So you can like, just take an elevator down in the morning and be at the front of the line?

AWESOME.

This discussion has been closed.