Options

Castlevania / Bloodstained

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    There's currently an issue where even if you have your code, Curse of the Moon is not available in following countries: Austria, Middle East, Belgium, Luxembourg, Scandinavia, Poland, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine.

They're working on it, but no ETA on when it'll be available.

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    I'm in love with the boss designs for this game.

Is there any place to see the name's of the bosses?
    So far i have seen Train robot , Jerk turtle , and Scrooge mcduck.

Zunde on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    I saw the email saying switch NA codes were available and kept waiting for an email and totally spaced checking the survey thingy, same place I got the steam code. Sure enough, it's there.

So if you got a Switch code for Curse check your survey page. In the US at least.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    Zunde wrote: »
    I'm in love with the boss designs for this game.

Is there any place to see the name's of the bosses?
    So far i have seen Train robot , Jerk turtle , and Scrooge mcduck.

http://curseofthemoon.com/en/boss/

• Options
    Huh not the name's i'd of expected but awesome none-the-less!

• Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    Got my Switch code! Very excited.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    'Glutton Train' makes a lot of sense as a name.

Then it all goes completely off the rails (train joke, haah!).

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    I'm not stupid i swear.
    It took me 2 game overs in the ship stage trying to progress through the room with wind blowing and archers before i remembered i have a character that can literally turn into a bat and fly and skip the entire screen.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I got my backer copy of Curse of the Moon. It's neat.

That said, Miriam seems... way too good, to the point of making me question the usefulness of Zangetsu. She has a longer weapon, a higher jump, and a slide. Whereas Zangetsu's only advantage over her seems to be his HP count and some of his subweapons (she can't easily hit below-level enemies, like Zangetsu can with his fire paper). The other characters have niche but-useful abilities. I like Alfred's fire circle and homing lightning, and Gebel's attack is... super limited, but being able to hit above you for free is great in this game. Also, he turns all purple candles into big magic pots, which is nice. But yeah, I basically just use Zangetsu if Miriam happens to die. Or I get his damage-up spell and swap to Miriam.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    There's a reason he's the way that he is.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Alright. I'll keep on, then. Beat totally-not-Elizabeth-Bathory so far. Gebel was supremely useful for that one.

Sometimes I wish there was an option to just expend a life to reset to the last checkpoint with all my characters. If I lose a vital character during a boss, I'm not likely to kill them with the rest on the next go-round. And if I'm ever down to just Alfred, then hoo boy.

Enlong on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Just a heads up, the game's story continues with the harder difficulties after you complete the game on normal - the harder difficulties aren't just for the challenge.
    So I learned things today and this is incorrect. Story / ending function spoilers (rather than the content):
    It's not a story that continues around on difficulties. The different endings are achieved by beating the game in particular ways but the story is not fully told over several endings. You get an ending, you get an ending. That's it. They aren't tied in to one-another.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I keep thinking the thread title means Bloodstained is somehow getting a Season 2

• Options
    Henroid wrote: »
    Just a heads up, the game's story continues with the harder difficulties after you complete the game on normal - the harder difficulties aren't just for the challenge.
    So I learned things today and this is incorrect. Story / ending function spoilers (rather than the content):
    It's not a story that continues around on difficulties. The different endings are achieved by beating the game in particular ways but the story is not fully told over several endings. You get an ending, you get an ending. That's it. They aren't tied in to one-another.

Er, it's not really incorrect at all.
    There are endings on Normal/Ultimate based on what combinations of characters you go with that simply end on that same playthrough, yes. However the two primary stories(the ones that actually unlock things and the one with the unique final level) both span over two difficulties. The "recruit all" story on Normal spanning into Nightmare, and the "kill all" story on Normal that spans into Ultimate(and unlocks Boss Rush).

Yes, we now know there are alternatives, but it doesn't make what I said wrong either.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular

There are endings on Normal/Ultimate based on what combinations of characters you go with that simply end on that same playthrough, yes. However the two primary stories(the ones that actually unlock things and the one with the unique final level) both span over two difficulties. The "recruit all" story on Normal spanning into Nightmare, and the "kill all" story on Normal that spans into Ultimate(and unlocks Boss Rush).

Yes, we now know there are alternatives, but it doesn't make what I said wrong either.

This has been my experience after playing:
    Rescue All ending ends with "To Be Continued" and unlocks Nightmare mode, which picks right back up where it left off plot wise. Gameplay wise it's just a new game with everybody unlocked minus Zangatsu, and the only change I've noticed are the tweaked boss attacks. I've only beat the first stage so far, so I don't know about any other changes, but I hear there's a new final boss or something.

Killing everybody gets the "Bad End" and unlocks Ultimate mode. I've also only beat the first stage in this mode, but it just seems to be a new game, on the higher difficulty, and Zangatsu has all the bonus abilities unlocked. But you can also save/kill everybody. Killing doesn't seem to unlock anything extra. Again I don't know if there are any further changes, but my gut says there probably aren't, or probably the new final boss as in Nightmare. Either way it doesn't seem like a "continuation" just "Start as Uber Zangatsu in hard mode".

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options

This has been my experience after playing:
    Rescue All ending ends with "To Be Continued" and unlocks Nightmare mode, which picks right back up where it left off plot wise. Gameplay wise it's just a new game with everybody unlocked minus Zangatsu, and the only change I've noticed are the tweaked boss attacks. I've only beat the first stage so far, so I don't know about any other changes, but I hear there's a new final boss or something.

Killing everybody gets the "Bad End" and unlocks Ultimate mode. I've also only beat the first stage in this mode, but it just seems to be a new game, on the higher difficulty, and Zangatsu has all the bonus abilities unlocked. But you can also save/kill everybody. Killing doesn't seem to unlock anything extra. Again I don't know if there are any further changes, but my gut says there probably aren't, or probably the new final boss as in Nightmare. Either way it doesn't seem like a "continuation" just "Start as Uber Zangatsu in hard mode".

If you want to know
    Nightmare mode is a new game with minor changes to boss abilities, and the end of the game has a new final level culminating in a new final boss and ending.

Ultimate is a new game with further tweaks to boss abilities, altered boss behavior and significantly increased boss health. Zangetsu also has a new undocumented ability that he doesn't have on other difficulties. Strangely there's no unique ending despite the description telling you Zangetsu is the new lord of the night or whatever, but since Zangetsu starts with all of the powers he gained from killing everyone on Normal, this is actually the easiest difficulty to clear the one-off endings with if you are seasoned at killing the bosses. (otherwise trying to do a solo no kill Zangetsu on normal is completely infuriating)

• Options
    Found my first issue with the game.
    Stage 8 has parts where this massive black mist will crash through the stage and chase you and it's instantly death if it get's you and destroys the platforms you're jumping to trying to outrun it but it make's the 3ds framerate die.

• Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    I thought that was intentional, to mimic the slowdown when they pushed the NES.

• Options
    Nah it sounds like an issue specific to the 3DS, as it doesn't happen on the PC/Switch. There is a deliberate nod to the NES but it's the character flickering that happens when you walk through shallow water.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    No slowdown on the Vita.

• Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Just beat Curse of the Moon. Fun game. I unlocked Nightmare mode. I guessed there were "different" endings and it seems I'm not too far off. I found myself using Miriam as much as possible. Good ol' Castlevania style. I have one issue with her whip though: When you begin the whipping animation and the whip is behind and above her head, it doesn't hit anything! Whereas in Castlevania, when the whip is behind you it does damage. This makes it super hard for her to whip things above or behind her.

EDIT: I played through on Veteran. I found it to be fairly easy and the game really is generous with lives especially considering that if you have all 4 allies, they all have to die for you to use a life.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Hmm. I don’t remember the whip in the original Castlevania hitting enemies behind me, and I just played through it again about 2 days ago. Definitely works in Spelunky, though.

What I really miss is proper whip upgrades.

• Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    Hmm. I don’t remember the whip in the original Castlevania hitting enemies behind me, and I just played through it again about 2 days ago. Definitely works in Spelunky, though.

What I really miss is proper whip upgrades.

You know, I just tried it and you are right...hmm, coulda sworn you could

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    I never found that the whip would hit anything behind me. But there is a bit of a sweet spot where it'll hit an enemy twice.

I used Miriam the most just because she had the high jump and best weapon. Alfred's spells are super situational, but they sure make chumps of said situations. Then I started using Notalucard because his attack pattern was extremely useful, especially in hitting enemies above you. Then I tried to attack a rat on the ground... shit run away achilles heel!!!

Zangetsu normally was the weakest character, just nothing special. Unless you get his secret upgrades, then he becomes about tied with Miriam.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    I really, really like this Curse of the Moon game. The people behind the level design have a solid sense of what makes enemy placement in classic CV challenging, how to create situations that really play to the particular strengths of each character, how to make platforming that isn't too frustrating given the idiosyncrasies of CV jumping and attacking, content for multiple playthroughs, upgrades that you can find give a feeling of making your characters stronger without using any kind of RPGish upgrade system....

... but there are two things I REALLY DON'T LIKE!

Thing number one is that there are a lot of doors that look like they should be openable but aren't, and the only way to know is to walk up to them. Maybe I just haven't unlocked the thing that lets me open these doors yet, but the profound importance of the door sprite in classic CV feels like it's being pointlessly undermined here.

The second thing is that the final stage of the first run contains a jump in platforming difficulty so intense that there are times when I'm not sure if one of the final sequences is possible without particular items/characters.

The most impressive thing to me, though, is the difficulty setting option, which represents a deep understanding of CV: getting hit doesn't result in your character flying backwards in the hitstun animation in Easy mode. This is a big mechanical difference but one which enormously makes the game easier to deal with for players which find getting knocked off platforms just too frustrating. It makes the game markedly easier but still allows a player to have a full experience of the game, and without simply making all the enemies go away or die in one hit or something like that.

For all my initial misgivings about some of the aesthetic choices in the game, it is a very solid-feeling game which is a strong reminder about just how good well-designed levels can feel to play.

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    I'm running on Nightmare now and something that really made me happy
    The bosses have new attacks!

• Options
    l_g wrote: »
    I really, really like this Curse of the Moon game. The people behind the level design have a solid sense of what makes enemy placement in classic CV challenging, how to create situations that really play to the particular strengths of each character, how to make platforming that isn't too frustrating given the idiosyncrasies of CV jumping and attacking, content for multiple playthroughs, upgrades that you can find give a feeling of making your characters stronger without using any kind of RPGish upgrade system....

... but there are two things I REALLY DON'T LIKE!

Thing number one is that there are a lot of doors that look like they should be openable but aren't, and the only way to know is to walk up to them. Maybe I just haven't unlocked the thing that lets me open these doors yet, but the profound importance of the door sprite in classic CV feels like it's being pointlessly undermined here.

The second thing is that the final stage of the first run contains a jump in platforming difficulty so intense that there are times when I'm not sure if one of the final sequences is possible without particular items/characters.

The most impressive thing to me, though, is the difficulty setting option, which represents a deep understanding of CV: getting hit doesn't result in your character flying backwards in the hitstun animation in Easy mode. This is a big mechanical difference but one which enormously makes the game easier to deal with for players which find getting knocked off platforms just too frustrating. It makes the game markedly easier but still allows a player to have a full experience of the game, and without simply making all the enemies go away or die in one hit or something like that.

For all my initial misgivings about some of the aesthetic choices in the game, it is a very solid-feeling game which is a strong reminder about just how good well-designed levels can feel to play.

Doors that don't lead anywhere are generally the exits to alternate paths. I'm still trying to really wrap my head around all the shortcuts and everything, but it seems that generally speaking, there's no reason not to take a shortcut if you see one. There's nothing hidden or anything, it's just "Can't take this shortcut? It's the long way for you". And the various doors and stairways are just the routes converging every so often.

• Options
    dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    So what is the final mode you unlock in CotM? And how are you supposed to unlock it? Is that part of the "no death" thing I see people trying to do?

Also is there a current ETA for Bloodstained:RotN?

PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • Options
    dav3yb wrote: »
    So what is the final mode you unlock in CotM? And how are you supposed to unlock it? Is that part of the "no death" thing I see people trying to do?

Also is there a current ETA for Bloodstained:RotN?
    Play through Normal, but killing all of the potential companions rather than recruiting them.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    I'm just going to say it - the lives system suuuuucks. I love the game otherwise, but on nightmare mode if you die at a boss with Miriam you might as well suicide with everyone else.

• Options
    Ehhh, not-Alucard absolutely wrecks bosses, I like him even more than Miriam for boss killing. The only time I'd consider purposely dying is if only Old is left.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Ehhh, not-Alucard absolutely wrecks bosses, I like him even more than Miriam for boss killing. The only time I'd consider purposely dying is if only Old is left.

I find Miriam with the Axe fucks up bosses right quick.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular

Old Man Alchemist has solo carried my dead team's corpses distances I never expected him to. His staff swing animation is slower than everybody else's basic attack, but the entire time the staff is out, it can hurt things. If you have the fire shield, he can stand right beside an enemy while swinging and deal it stupid damage. There are one or two bosses that would be quite hard with the alch depending on what spell he has, but whenever I'm stuck with just him, I'm always surprised at how far I can get. His defining trait is his capacity to completely disrespect any enemy.

Nah-lucard can shotgun the hell out of bosses and can attack some at times that other's can't. He's totally fun to use.

Miriam is definitely a bit juiced compared to everybody else, though.... longest attack range, highest jump, a slide nobody else has, 2nd beefiest health pool, one of the single strongest attacks in the game with the axe, solid items in the scythe and the triple dagger...

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    *Nightmare mode spoilers*
    WTF at that post credits scene in Curse of the Moon..

20XX Zangetsu: CYBORG DEMON HUNTER.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    Got muh code!!!

Check your inboxes, fellow PS4-ers!

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    I just realized that two of the bosses could be described as
    "ninja turtle" and "double dragon"

Is that too much a reach? Do any other bosses have descriptions that match games popular during the NES era?

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    I just realized that two of the bosses could be described as
    "ninja turtle" and "double dragon"

Is that too much a reach? Do any other bosses have descriptions that match games popular during the NES era?

I'm not entirely down with those being intentional, but I definitely thought of
    Scrooge McDuck
    with one of them.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Solo run is no joke, even on Casual. Harder than normal and nightmare on Veteran, honestly. Less ability to cheese tough spots even ignoring the health gap.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular

Well this is interesting

I didn't expect that the playerbase for this game would favor the Switch so heavily

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I did. Switch indies sell like crazy right now because of the attachment rate and because the Switch is a perfect Steam machine without the direct access to Steam. I think every indie that releases on there gets mad sales.

This discussion has been closed.