As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

East Buttoneers - Pins? We don't need your stinkin' pins!

• Options
    LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    aBByNormaL wrote: »
    Question on use of images ... do you guys use images captured from the web or do your own??

Yes.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • Options
    Mot BuchananMot Buchanan OhioRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Edited:
    none of this is important anymore.

Mot Buchanan on
  • Options
    ransimransim Registered User regular
    I have everything within the template that I downloaded.
    If I post it with all the help removed it also covers the rim text.
    Do I send them the square without any of the template stuff?

For whatever reason the images that show up on the thread are way more saturated that the images on my screen...
    should I worry about the colors being wrong on the button?

You send them the last picture with none of the template stuff in a high quality format. I use png myself.

There is always a possibility of color appearing different, this page has some references to test your color calibration:
    http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2014
    I highly object to your usage of Never Forget. Lando would be sad. :bz

zerzhul on
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    If I post it with all the help removed it also covers the rim text.

That's because your rim text is on the wrong layer. It need to be on the same layer as the rest of your art, and you have it on the layout help layer.
    Do I send them the square without any of the template stuff?

Yes, just hide the layers in the PSD. For the Buttoneering site, please export the same square to PNG.
    For whatever reason the images that show up on the thread are way more saturated that the images on my screen...
    should I worry about the colors being wrong on the button?

If you're using real Photoshop for this, you're actually working in CMYK colorspace instead of the more normal RGB. Photoshop will be attempting to show you the correct colors for print.

Finally, your rim text isn't in the normal layout. While this is no big deal, I suggest uploading that exported PNG to Buttoneering to get the correct rim text generated for you, and then applying it to the image since you seem to know how.

Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    aBByNormaLaBByNormaL Registered User regular
    Question on use of images ... do you guys use images captured from the web or do your own??

Yes.

... that seems deliberately vague :-)

My concerns were based in copyright of images ... I tend to capture then alter images i use (filters, removing portions, etc.) so that while it may resemble the original it is in fact different from the original.

PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
  • Options
    draklandraklan Chocobo in time the Frosty North... mmm FrostingRegistered User regular
    this thread started too late for me to get new buttons designed but i will bring some of my prime ones in case anyone needs them and make sure i upload the pics to the site.

• Options
    contrefaitcontrefait Registered User regular
    edited March 2014

Yes.

... that seems deliberately vague :-)

My concerns were based in copyright of images ... I tend to capture then alter images i use (filters, removing portions, etc.) so that while it may resemble the original it is in fact different from the original.

Some people use copyrighted images and some don't. So Yes is the appropriate response.

I have consistently grabbed screenshots from LucasArts adventure games and used them without any issues. I know others create their own images and use that.

Oh yeah, I'm totally doing buttons. I'm thinking Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. Haven't done that game yet.

contrefait on
    PAX East 2016 Checklist
    Passes: ▬ Hotel: ▬ Flight: [color=red]☑[/color]
  • Options
    zerzhul wrote: »

I object highly to the fact that everyone knows that when never precedes forget it should always be spelled with an a, "nevar".

• Options
    KhaytorKhaytor MassachusettsRegistered User regular

I had the idea and my graphic designer was the one that pulled it off. She's awesome!
    If you have trouble, the people over at Pure Buttons, or Wacky Buttons will be more then happy to help, I'm sure.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    My button designs (abandoned my first design as I thought the text would be too small to read). [Note each image links to buttonering site]

Titan.png

BoysBack.png

Rules_Lawyer.png

aBByNormaL on
    PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
  • Options
    Lady LilybellLady Lilybell Geeky Crafter & Baker South Shore, MARegistered User regular
    These are our button for this year.

My brother's pin based on BioShock Infinite: seven_notext.jpg
    Husband's Pin original design based on his gamer group: loot_lads_no_text.jpg
    My two pins based on Game Boy 25th Anniversary and the two games that remind me of the original boy: gameboy_tetris_no_text.jpg gameboy_zelda_no_text.jpg

5FzIdZ6.png
    I ♥ making awesome crafts! I ♥ my Cookie Brigaders!
  • Options
    LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    ransim wrote: »
    zerzhul wrote: »

I object highly to the fact that everyone knows that when never precedes forget it should always be spelled with an a, "nevar".

I highly object to your objection.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • Options
    Mot BuchananMot Buchanan OhioRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Alright!
    b5.jpg

Made my order.
    only 250 of these babies, so be sure to swing by the balloon build or keep an eye out for a giant guy handing balloons to staff.

Is there a way to hide my earlier post with those giant images? I don't want to make people have to look at those?

Mot Buchanan on
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Updated the OP with a current list of the pins from Buttoneering.

I also got mine in the mail! They look awesome.

ransim on
  • Options
    Is there a way to hide my earlier post with those giant images? I don't want to make people have to look at those?
    You can edit your post and put them in spoilers, or just remove the embed and make them links.

• Options
    ravnos13ravnos13 Somerville, MARegistered User regular
    These are our button for this year.

My brother's pin based on BioShock Infinite: seven_notext.jpg
    Husband's Pin original design based on his gamer group: loot_lads_no_text.jpg
    My two pins based on Game Boy 25th Anniversary and the two games that remind me of the original boy: gameboy_tetris_no_text.jpg gameboy_zelda_no_text.jpg

As it was last year, your buttons are awesome.

fss_overall.png

Passes: Acquired | Buttons: Acquired | April: Too far away...
  • Options
    RenneesmeRenneesme Registered User regular
    Do people not always post them on here/Buttoneering website but still have them? It seems to be a very small group of us right now who have made some... (First PAX, tons of questions) :smiley:

3DS FC: 4382-3356-7103
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Renneesme wrote: »
    Do people not always post them on here/Buttoneering website but still have them? It seems to be a very small group of us right now who have made some... (First PAX, tons of questions) :smiley:
    Some people don't put them on the buttoneering website. However, buttoneering is relatively new to pax east in general. It's a /huge/ thing at pax prime in comparison (150-200+ participants... not huge for pax scale, but huge for a community thing), but it's definitely still very small at East. I will probably be bringing some of my leftovers from the various pax primes I've done, so I should upload those at some point.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Thanks, Zerzhul! You seem to be a wealth of knowledge all over the forum :smile: So then, a follow-up question... the booths that have pins (like Blizzard) just give them out? Do you trade with them too (I assume not)? Are they their pins or are these the PAX East pins?

Renneesme on
  • Options
    xenardxenard Registered User regular
    For some reason every time I tried to upload mine my computer froze so I gave up.

steam_sig.png
    3DS Friend Code: 2449-5711-0640
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    The booths with pins are for Pinny Arcade Pin Trading. It is entirely separate from buttoneering. They will sometimes be purchaseable, sometimes they are given out by playing a game demo, or something like that. There's actually a whole forum section just for pin trading.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    CaveCibumCaveCibum Registered User regular
    I will be using my leftovers from last year, as will @aryooki.
    1.5_INCH_ROUND_cavecibum.png?13636267161.5_INCH_ROUND_aryooki.png?1363626652

• Options
    maevrimaevri Los Angeles, CARegistered User new member
    Howdy! I actually just found out about buttoneering today and made mine on the spot because I LOVE this. This is my first PAX ever and I honestly don't know what to expect. I uploaded my pin to the website, but unfortunately I didn't see the information about the rim text until just now, so that will not be accurate. I hope that's ok?

Anyway, I look forward to getting to know everyone and meeting you all in a few weeks. And *hopefully* I can find some way to impress the random guy.

• Options
    maevri wrote: »
    Howdy! I actually just found out about buttoneering today and made mine on the spot because I LOVE this. This is my first PAX ever and I honestly don't know what to expect. I uploaded my pin to the website, but unfortunately I didn't see the information about the rim text until just now, so that will not be accurate. I hope that's ok?

Anyway, I look forward to getting to know everyone and meeting you all in a few weeks. And *hopefully* I can find some way to impress the random guy.

Should be fine, it'll be our second year, first official perhaps for East. I'm hoping since we have two solid long time events for meetings before and after PAX it'll be easier for people to meet up, and if the Westin gaming tables stay up its theoretically space to meet all weekend.

Glad to have you onboard!

• Options
    BUBBApaxBUBBApax iLLusionist Boston MARegistered User regular
    All the designs look really cool, im really liking the gameboy anniversary pins!!

• Options
    zeromystzeromyst wat Registered User regular
    So, I made some buttons.
    lego.png
    hoc.png

CRANK UP THE C. CRANK UP THE D.
  • Options
    Lady LilybellLady Lilybell Geeky Crafter & Baker South Shore, MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    @zeromyst I love both pins!

Some of my pins have grown feet already and wandered into my husband's co-workers hands.

Lady Lilybell on
    5FzIdZ6.png
    I ♥ making awesome crafts! I ♥ my Cookie Brigaders!
  • Options
    BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    My buttons are on the way. 3rd in the Beeker series. I made 500 since I like to hand them out to pretty much everyone I meet. Totally spaced on the proper rim text through, I put "Beker PAX East 2014 @eribek" instead.
    b8iedvjxmzcq.jpg

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    @zeromyst I need that lego button!

• Options
    Updated the Buttons in the OP!

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    badgepreview.png
    Yay I'm not too late to make on this year. Had to remake my old avatar because 64x64 surprisingly doesn't hold up when blown up.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    MissLeading18MissLeading18 Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Hooray! My pins came in today! I also definitely missed the note about using the right rim text, but it has my username so hopefully that works okay. This is the first year I've known about buttoneering so I'm hoping to find lots of you and trade pins! :D

zerzhul on
  • Options
    I have a question. Can you pack the buttons in carry-on luggage? I never check bags, and it seems like they'd be okay, but I know the TSA is kinda rule crazy. Since I'm probably going to be cutting my flight close like always, I don't want any surprises.

• Options
    maevri wrote: »
    I have a question. Can you pack the buttons in carry-on luggage? I never check bags, and it seems like they'd be okay, but I know the TSA is kinda rule crazy. Since I'm probably going to be cutting my flight close like always, I don't want any surprises.

From the OP:
    Q. Will I be able to fly with my buttons. Are they considered an instrument of death?
    As confirmed by the US TSA and experience from past years, 1" -1.5" buttons are not classified as an instrument of death even if you have a 100, and can be carried on or checked (they did say that depending on the TSA Agent you may be asked [forced at gun point] to check the buttons).
    But remember this only applies to people whose flight originates in the US. If you are flying into the US with buttons make sure you check with your TSA equivalent before bringing them on a plane. The TSA people here also highly suggested that you check with US Customs (contact via your local embassy) before you try and bring them into the country (they indicated that the problem isn't with the button it's with what you could be hiding in the button). Recap: If you're in the US you can fly w/ buttons, if you're not you're probably better off mailing.

tl; dr You should be fine taking them on the plane. :)

• Options
    D'oh! Would help if I actually read instead of skimming. Sorry about that!

• Options
    KhaytorKhaytor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Would anyone be interested in special buttons for the Pre-Pax breakfast and Dinner?
    If so, let me know ASAP so I can get them done :)

• Options
    zeromystzeromyst wat Registered User regular
    Buttons came in! They look great!
    paxeastbuttons2014.jpg

CRANK UP THE C. CRANK UP THE D.
  • Options
    where is the meet up for these .....

• Options
    From what I understand, there will be places that a lot of people are, such as pre and post PAX board game nights, but a lot of time we just trade while you're at PAX... in line... around the expo... etc.