As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PA Comic] Friday, March 7, 2014 - Consultant

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited March 2014 in The Penny Arcade Hub
Unknown User on
DrCongoKageraCasualDarkewolfesyndalisAlbino BunnyTofystedethAssuranSkull2185histronicFleur de AlysBobbleTaskmanJimothyFiendishrabbitBig DookieNightslyrComradebotT-boltLostNinjafightinfilipinoXaquinZomroStollsKoopahTroopahJusticeforPlutokimeCommander ZoomFrankiedarlingceresMichaelLCcalamityjamieBanzai5150AegeriSangheili91FreemannGoose!DonnictonC2BRonin356
«1

Posts

  • KaboodleKaboodle Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Just me or do the facebook links still pull from Feb. 28th? Like, it says it should be "Consultant" but when I actually click on it to post it over, it brings up "Incongruity"

    Kaboodle on
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    To be fair

    Anniversaries come once a year

    Titanfall releases once. Well unless you count GOTY, HD remakes, and collectors editions.

    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
    NibCrom
  • GDT1985GDT1985 Registered User regular
    Well I think most people probably wait for the weekend to do things like anniversaries and birthdays, but it is still most definitely a trap.

  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    It's a traaaaaaaaap.

  • exup35exup35 Registered User regular
    my house is littered with those kind of traps - and ones even more subtle. In fact my Ackbar app went into meltdown long, long ago.

  • RedthirstRedthirst Registered User regular
    Maybe it's just me, but isn't Titanfall is a bit overhyped? Granted, it's an enjoyable game, but I still haven't decided whether I actually want to buy it. I guess it's because of these bots. They serve no purpose other than filling the game.

    steam_sig.png
    Commander Zoom
  • PirusuPirusu Pierce Registered User regular
    This might be one of my favorites in a long time. Just Ackbar cursin' and pointin' out the obvious.

    PenumbraKoopahTroopahLovely
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Redthirst wrote: »
    Maybe it's just me, but isn't Titanfall is a bit overhyped? Granted, it's an enjoyable game, but I still haven't decided whether I actually want to buy it. I guess it's because of these bots. They serve no purpose other than filling the game.

    Titanfall is flippin' awesome. Are you referring to the grunts when you say "bots"? Because they do serve a purpose. Distracting fodder, but also they (at least I think they do) help cool down your Titan timer when you kill them, though not as much as a pilot.

    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    First the Titanfall beta releases on Valentine's Day and now this? Clearly Respawn is trying to sabotage Gabe's relationship.

    Skull2185FiendishrabbitTurkey
  • DuelLadySDuelLadyS Registered User regular
    So, true story- years ago, I got a call from my BF asking me if it would be OK if he didn't call or see me for 2 days that week- because Kingdom Hearts 2 was coming out and he wanted uninterrupted gaming time.

    And I was genuinely OK with it.

    Perhaps that's why we've been together for 10 years...

    Andy JoeLovelySmrtnikKamarani_game_bumArteenDonnicton
  • JackdawGinJackdawGin Engineer New YorkRegistered User regular
    Ah the agreeable wife, the oldest and most devious of all traps.

    fortykime
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Have already warned my GF that she may not see so much of me for a couple weeks after the 11th...or that at the very least I may not be very talkative in our evening Hangouts conversations.

  • RottonappleRottonapple Registered User regular
    Redthirst wrote: »
    Maybe it's just me, but isn't Titanfall is a bit overhyped? Granted, it's an enjoyable game, but I still haven't decided whether I actually want to buy it. I guess it's because of these bots. They serve no purpose other than filling the game.

    well, seeing as how this is the THIRD strip they have done about Titanfall and they have mentioned it in a podcast, I'm going to say it's not overhyped, at least not as far as Mike and Jerry are concerned. This is just one of those games that has managed to put the hook in both of them, and because of that, they won't shut up about it for awhile.

  • StockBreakStockBreak Registered User regular
    He's probably in trouble for even bringing it up.

  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I don't know whenever there is a game that a lot of people are antipicating there will always be someone who says "I don't get it."

    Usually so someone can come along and say "I agree."

    I mean some people just enjoy things you might not enjoy as much, sometimes this group will be very large. That's pretty much it.

    Turkey
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I don't know whenever there is a game that a lot of people are antipicating there will always be someone who says "I don't get it."

    Usually so someone can come along and say "I agree."

    I mean some people just enjoy things you might not enjoy as much, sometimes this group will be very large. That's pretty much it.

    I don't get it, but I agree.

    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    fortyTurkey
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    GDT1985 wrote: »
    Well I think most people probably wait for the weekend to do things like anniversaries and birthdays, but it is still most definitely a trap.

    Even if you've already planned to wait until the weekend, that still doesn't mean you've got a green light to ignore the day itself. "We'll wait until Saturday when we're both off work," can possibly mean, "Ok, fine, I'll let you watch Agents of SHIELD but you're still wearing pants at the dinner table and watching sappy movies with me until 8."

    Hevach on
  • SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Man, I don't get the whole wifely trap thing. If I'm going to be pissed about something you can damn well bet I tell my husband what I'm thinking ahead of time. Then again, we have a mutual agreement that life is more important than video games. It's a two way street... you put the relationship first but you also don't have this weird idea that that means spending all the time together and that quality time involves making the other person partake in an activity they don't enjoy. Takes a few years of marriage to work that all out and there are always going to be misunderstandings, but seriously. It's not that difficult for both husbands and wives to act like thoughtful and reasonable people, especially around important things that you knew were coming, like anniversaries.

    (And I realize that my new avatar is Sully and that the second sentence should absolutely be spoken in her tone of voice. ;) )

    SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
    Turkey
  • Gamer8585Gamer8585 Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, big time trap. Even if Gabe's wife is completely sincere right now in later arguments the "You played video-games all day on our Anniversary! " card will be played and cost Gabe all the monsters on his board.

    Also, with the state of online games at release these days I say Gabe has about 2 months before he'll be able to get online with a stable connection anyway.
    Man, I don't get the whole wifely trap thing. If I'm going to be pissed about something you can damn well bet I tell my husband what I'm thinking ahead of time. Then again, we have a mutual agreement that life is more important than video games. It's a two way street... you put the relationship first but you also don't have this weird idea that that means spending all the time together and that quality time involves making the other person partake in an activity they don't enjoy. Takes a few years of marriage to work that all out and there are always going to be misunderstandings, but seriously. It's not that difficult for both husbands and wives to act like thoughtful and reasonable people, especially around important things that you knew were coming, like anniversaries.

    (And I realize that my new avatar is Sully and that the second sentence should absolutely be spoken in her tone of voice. ;) )

    True, the problem though is one of perception. Video Games are looked at like children's toys by most women instead of a entertaining cultural artform with a constantly changing zeitgeist. Wives tolerate their husbands playing them most of the time, but believe that their partners should prioritize every single want and need well above playing. It dosen't help that video-games are designed to eat up time (Single player campaigns), or require undivided attention for shorter periods of play (Mulitplayer content). Couples that connect really well can be split hard over this one issue, and while communication is helpful if a person didn't grow up playing games then trying to explain it to them becomes as difficult as explaining site to the blind.

    Smrtnik
  • DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    The battle was lost before the first question was asked. This is why a common law union where there is no real pressure date like an anniversary is the way to go.

    steam_sig.png
  • GabrielGabriel Registered User, ClubPA, Penny Arcade Staff, PAX Staff staff
    To be fair to my wife, this was not a trap. She's just a rad lady and honestly wanted to make sure I got to play Titanfall all day on Tuesday.

    GaslightDragkoniasLostNinjaKoopahTroopahvidStollsSwashbucklerXXAndy JoeJusticeforPlutoRottonappleadmanbkimeCommander ZoomTaskmanPirusuFrankiedarlingCarpyfurlionUndead ScottsmancalamityjamieDhalphirLorahaloSmrtnikQuidKamarFreemannArteenGoose!Raiden333joshofalltradesBobbleoverride367
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Gabriel wrote: »
    To be fair to my wife, this was not a trap. She's just a rad lady and honestly wanted to make sure I got to play Titanfall all day on Tuesday.

    You fell for the trap!

    after Ackbar warned you!
    you lucky bastard you

    Xaquin on
    IncindiumGoose!
  • RedthirstRedthirst Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Redthirst wrote: »
    Maybe it's just me, but isn't Titanfall is a bit overhyped? Granted, it's an enjoyable game, but I still haven't decided whether I actually want to buy it. I guess it's because of these bots. They serve no purpose other than filling the game.

    Titanfall is flippin' awesome. Are you referring to the grunts when you say "bots"? Because they do serve a purpose. Distracting fodder, but also they (at least I think they do) help cool down your Titan timer when you kill them, though not as much as a pilot.
    Maybe it's because I don't get into the titan thing that much. It is really strange, but in BF I don't really use vehicles, and in Titanfall beta, I haven't used much titans. Hell, once I've been playing with my friend and we used Mumbe, I have a V key set to push-to-talk and Mumble supressed this key for all other applications. So I actually played a few rounds without ever calling a titan and I had no problems with it.
    Also, I don't play FPSes that much. In CS:GO I mostly got destroyed every time I play it. When I play BF3 with my more FPS-loving friend, I usually end up at the bottom half of the scoreboard and he is in the top 5. In Titanfall, most of the time I was #1, even better than my friend. Maybe it's tied to the fact that I don't use titans that much...

    Redthirst on
    steam_sig.png
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    When I was in college my housemate told me that he'd agreed with his girlfriend that they weren't going to do Valentine's Day this year. He refused to believe that this was a trap. Eventually on the day I went and bought some flowers and chocolates and left them in his room. After she came over and kicked the fuck off she stormed into his room (presumably to fling his stuff around), saw the flowers and chocolates and thought he'd been joking.

    I'm just saying, fuck anyone who says I'm not a good housemate.

    XaquinLostNinjaDarkewolfeStollsAndy JoeJusticeforPlutoadmanbkimeCommander ZoomTaskmanPirusuInquisitorMichaelLCPowerpuppiesTychoCelchuuuZxerolJacobkoshAegeriMan in the MistsLorahalolawragatajarSmrtnikOatsKamarTubularLuggageTurkeyRadiusSnicketysnickGoose!joshofalltradesknitdanfightinfilipinoBobble
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    she sounds nice, I hope they lived happily ever after!

    fortyTurkey
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    I will say as someone who gets to view the relationships of his friends and family quite frequently. Passive aggressiveness is very much a thing.

    Why I need someone as straightforward as I am because ain't nobody got time for that.

    Dragkonias on
    XaquinfortyZxerol
  • KingAdrockKingAdrock Registered User regular
    It looks like a trap.

    But if it is NOT a trap... Damn Gabe, you married the right woman.

    Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned for Sega.
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    This comic is awesome, and hilarious.

  • Gamer8585Gamer8585 Registered User regular
    Gabriel wrote: »
    To be fair to my wife, this was not a trap. She's just a rad lady and honestly wanted to make sure I got to play Titanfall all day on Tuesday.

    A Wild Gabriel appears. Holy shit someone throw a Master Ball. I really didn't think Mike or Jerry had anything to do with the forums aside from letting them exist as an official PA property.

    Seriously though wait until the first argument comes when she is really pissed. She'll throw the fact you played video games on Valentines day right in your face, unless she was playing with you and even then that will just allow you to limp away instead of needing to be carried out on a stretcher.
    Tube wrote: »
    When I was in college my housemate told me that he'd agreed with his girlfriend that they weren't going to do Valentine's Day this year. He refused to believe that this was a trap. Eventually on the day I went and bought some flowers and chocolates and left them in his room. After she came over and kicked the fuck off she stormed into his room (presumably to fling his stuff around), saw the flowers and chocolates and thought he'd been joking.

    I'm just saying, fuck anyone who says I'm not a good housemate.

    You sir are a good friend and I salute you.

    Commander Zoom
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Hey remember asjdkhia3UYTADFGQ4J6 UQ45AWweg4wjh
    1620486_10152229265038279_491193123_n.jpg

    Xaquin on
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    I feel like this comic would've been better without Ackbar swearing.

    cB557 on
    Xaquin
  • SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Gabriel wrote: »
    To be fair to my wife, this was not a trap. She's just a rad lady and honestly wanted to make sure I got to play Titanfall all day on Tuesday.

    I admit as a similar kind of rad wife that I wish that popular media portrayed the fact that we exist instead of falling back on the stereotypical portrayal of wives for laughs.

    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
    TurkeyDelzhand
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Gabriel wrote: »
    To be fair to my wife, this was not a trap. She's just a rad lady and honestly wanted to make sure I got to play Titanfall all day on Tuesday.

    I admit as a similar kind of rad wife that I wish that popular media portrayed the fact that we exist instead of falling back on the stereotypical portrayal of wives for laughs.

    The media will get over its stereotypical portrayal of wives as passive-aggressive fun-hating nags the same time it gets over its stereotypical portrayal of husbands as slobby buffoonish man-children.

    LostNinjafortySmoogyTaskmanNobodySmrtnik
  • SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Gabriel wrote: »
    To be fair to my wife, this was not a trap. She's just a rad lady and honestly wanted to make sure I got to play Titanfall all day on Tuesday.

    I admit as a similar kind of rad wife that I wish that popular media portrayed the fact that we exist instead of falling back on the stereotypical portrayal of wives for laughs.

    The media will get over its stereotypical portrayal of wives as passive-aggressive fun-hating nags the same time it gets over its stereotypical portrayal of husbands as slobby buffoonish man-children.

    Yeah, I equally dislike that portrayal of men.

    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    I feel like this comic would've been better without Ackbar swearing.

    I thought it was funnier that way because it slightly subverts your expectation that he's just going to say his classic line, and he instead says something even more emphatically because of the profanity.

    I mean fuck.

    What is this I don't even.
    cB557LovelyOatsTurkeyBobble
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Gabriel wrote: »
    To be fair to my wife, this was not a trap. She's just a rad lady and honestly wanted to make sure I got to play Titanfall all day on Tuesday.

    I admit as a similar kind of rad wife that I wish that popular media portrayed the fact that we exist instead of falling back on the stereotypical portrayal of wives for laughs.

    The media will get over its stereotypical portrayal of wives as passive-aggressive fun-hating nags the same time it gets over its stereotypical portrayal of husbands as slobby buffoonish man-children.

    Yeah, I equally dislike that portrayal of men.

    Honestly, this is why I don't watch sitcoms anymore. Its like TV is stuck in the 80s with their character portrayals.

    cB557Commander ZoomTaskmanNobodyJusticeforPluto
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    cB557 wrote: »
    I feel like this comic would've been better without Ackbar swearing.

    I thought it was funnier that way because it slightly subverts your expectation that he's just going to say his classic line, and he instead says something even more emphatically because of the profanity.

    I mean fuck.
    Yeah, but I feel like some sort of middle ground would've been better.
    "Shit yeah, it's a trap."
    "Oh yeah, it's a fucking trap."
    "Oh yeah, it's a trap."
    *shrugs*

    Commander Zoom
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Gabriel wrote: »
    To be fair to my wife, this was not a trap. She's just a rad lady and honestly wanted to make sure I got to play Titanfall all day on Tuesday.

    I admit as a similar kind of rad wife that I wish that popular media portrayed the fact that we exist instead of falling back on the stereotypical portrayal of wives for laughs.

    The media will get over its stereotypical portrayal of wives as passive-aggressive fun-hating nags the same time it gets over its stereotypical portrayal of husbands as slobby buffoonish man-children.

    So, never, then.

    Gaslight
  • p.dub1511p.dub1511 Registered User new member
    Only if anniversary stuff is you coming over to watch or play Titanfall with me.

    I can't wait for this game...on my PC.

Sign In or Register to comment.