Options

Insane in the Ukraine, OR, Not So Chicken Kiev?

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    It's probably just a political stunt.
    Russian media is describing a straving Ukrainian hell zone, and claiming western powers are trying to prevent Russia from helping. It puts pressure on Ukrainian leaders on how to react. If they stop the sketchy aid, they play into the Russian narrative.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    Ukraine has already told Russia that if they wish to send humanitarian aid to do so through the red cross and other organizations. They have ignored that and continue to do as they please, this is just an excuse for them to do what they did to Georgia when they sent humanitarian "aid" there before they invaded.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    It's probably just a political stunt.
    Russian media is describing a straving Ukrainian hell zone, and claiming western powers are trying to prevent Russia from helping. It puts pressure on Ukrainian leaders on how to react. If they stop the sketchy aid, they play into the Russian narrative.

That's nonsense. Russia will bullshit their narrative no matter what happens. If the Ukrainian government doesn't want Russian "aid" they have the right to refuse it as a sovereign nation.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    I agree it's nonsense, but there are people in the region who will believe it.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    Not sure what you expect can be done about people in the region that actually WANT Putin in charge of them.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

should we have a thread for keeping tabs on the situation in Ferguson?

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    There really should be. That shits wild as hell yo

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    That's basically what the thread about policing has turned into the last couple of days (for obvious reasons).

Ferguson talk starts on page 19.

• Options

That's the official Twitter account of Dmitry Medvedev, Prime Minister of Russia. Roughly translated, it says "Resign. Ashamed of my Government's actions. I'm sorry."

Interesting.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

That's the official Twitter account of Dmitry Medvedev, Prime Minister of Russia. Roughly translated, it says "Resign. Ashamed of my Government's actions. I'm sorry."

Interesting.

My instinct is a Twitter Hack until I hear otherwise.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I'm not seeing any tweet so I guess it was deleted.

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    So this happened.

"A Russian convoy carrying "humanitarian aid" has turned away from its route towards a confrontation with government officials at the Ukrainian border - and is now heading straight for rebel-held areas."

• Options
    scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    eek!

scherbchen on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    I remember being in a situation during my childhood where my home town was pretty much under military containment.

Aside from the initial confrontation I don't think things ever got as bad as it is in Furgeson.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular

should we have a thread for keeping tabs on the situation in Ferguson?

I realize this is a very serious situation, but Lowery actually went to my high school and now he's a famous national reporter and that's so crazy to me

I didn't know him personally, I think he was a couple years younger, but he was very involved with student government, and I know the name well

• Options
    scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
  • Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    Docshifty wrote: »
    So this happened.

"A Russian convoy carrying "humanitarian aid" has turned away from its route towards a confrontation with government officials at the Ukrainian border - and is now heading straight for rebel-held areas."

Westbound and down, loaded up and truckin'

They're gonna do what they say can't be done

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    the good thing about having studied history is that you can always say to yourself "at least it's not as bad as the thirty years' war"

• Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    the good thing about having studied history is that you can always say to yourself "at least it's not as bad as the thirty years' war"

Yet.

• Options
    I wonder if they plan to move rebel leadership and or russian officers out of town with those trucks.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    So overall 2014 has been a pretty shitty year so far.

Did 2014 look at all previous "xx14" and say "Shit, might not be able to match 1814 and 1914 for misery caused, but I'm not going to let 1714 and 1614 show me up in the miserystatistics...Lets fuck shit up"

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    When I was driving home, I heard the Ukrainian military took control of a key piece of rebel territory between the rebels and the convoy. So the Russian convoy wound up stopping at the Russian border, waiting for new orders. That said, things might have changed in the interim period of the reporting and broadcast.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    My girlfriend (she's ukrainian) is saying that she read a report that russians passed the checkpoint and entered ukraine, but it was one report and im not seeing anything else saying that. She was kinda frantic about it because she doesn't want them to invade further and mess up her country, but I told her that one reporter did not make it true since I know there are tons more reporters there, and I haven't seen anything pop up anywhere about it. As far as I know they were stopped at the border.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    edit wrong thread.

I do get the feeling more aid could be useful. I'm hoping they decide to take up the red cross offer.
    They might have to do some housecleaning and leave weaponry behind in russia to do that though. Some offering of goodwill supplies could be a good step toward a less hostile future.

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Ukraine claims to have engaged and destroyed a portion of the "aid convoy" which they described as a Russian armor column

If there's one thing I have learned about Vladimir Putin, it's that he will be totally fine with this and will not at all drop all kinds of fucking bombs all over Ukraine now

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    Ukraine claims to have engaged and destroyed a portion of the "aid convoy" which they described as a Russian armor column

If there's one thing I have learned about Vladimir Putin, it's that he will be totally fine with this and will not at all drop all kinds of fucking bombs all over Ukraine now

He cant if he wants russsia to have an economy. He ignored several direct statements and orders by the ukraine who did not want them in the country. They are fully in their rights to percieve that as a threat to sovereignty and the UN will back them.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    the UN backed the shit out of them when they lost their sovereignty over crimea

• Options
    The UN literally cannot do anything because Russia is on the SC and has veto power

NATO can, of course, and probably would if Russia crossed the border in force

• Options
    Unless Ukraine specifically asks NATO to intervene though, they probably won't.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Ukraine is so far up the russian "Sphere of interest" that I doubt NATO would do anything.

As for the politics...this is 1984 ministry of truth shit.

Russia sends an "aid convoy" and I guess Ukraine "love bombed" it.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    Unless Ukraine specifically asks NATO to intervene though, they probably won't.

depends how far the Russians went

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »

Ukraine (and NATO as of this afternoon) are saying the armored column was a seperate thing entirely and already in Ukrainiain territory as of last night.

The actual "aid convoy" is still in Russia (and crawling with reporters getting lots of nice footage of the essentially-empty trucks).

• Options
    I was watching photos of the inspected trucks. It looked like a lot of them were mostly empty. The drivers said it was so that they'd have back up trucks in case something happened.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    Russia is denying any trucks of theirs, military or "aid", crossed into Ukraine.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    Russia is denying any trucks of theirs, military or "aid", crossed into Ukraine.

Kinda like how no Russian personnel were in Crimea before the annexation?

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    what is crimea?

you mean southern russia?

• Options
    Well they aren't going to say, "yo we have military forces supporting rebels in the region."

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Hah, Rick Perry was just indited by a grand jury for abuse of power.

Barcardi on
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Barcardi wrote: »
    Hah, Rick Perry was just indicted by a grand jury for abuse of power.

Oops

• Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    Autocorrect

This discussion has been closed.