Options

Giant Bomb 2000

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Barcardi wrote: »
    Shes a eco terrorist?

Yep.

Tifa and Barret are the founding members of Avalanche, who are trying to destroy the Mako reactors because they're killing the planet.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »

This works uncomfortably well

• Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    oh man, 3 hours of breaking brad demons souls

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    These are all great boss songs but you see- RULES OF NATUUUUUURRRRRRRE

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    If you want to hear some solid reflections on the game without having to go through it again the Watch Out For Fireballs guys have a three part podcast that goes over the game pretty well. They catch a lot of details I definitely didn't find when I went through the game.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    The Metal Gear series in general has a fantastic soundtrack. I really need to make a best of playlist.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    if ff7 ever got a nice looking re-release with an updated translation and general sprucing up of UI stuff I would probably give it a shot

it only to try and better understand the thing that allowed advent children to exist, I tried playing it a couple years ago and everything about trying to do anything was terrible

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Brolo wrote: »
    Describe Tifa's character without referring to her appearance or her job role in the story.

She's... hopeful?

Well the thing is a lot of her outward hopefulness is an illusion.

She's a person who struggles to express herself openly, instead worrying about how she can make other people happy, to her detriment. She's a strong person, but has trouble realizing it.

A person who, because of this, at first allows herself to sink into a passive role, where she's there as the one to support the people she cares about while putting what she wants and how she feels on the backburner. She allows herself and Cloud to essentially live a lie, and risks losing the person she loves, because while she may seem optimistic and personable, she has difficulty communicating with people.

Eventually she comes to terms with herself and takes a more active role in her life, and Cloud's. With the implication by the end she has grown into a more confident, sure of herself woman.

Of course then the stuff we got years after the game did diddly-squat with her.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    Squidget0Squidget0 Registered User regular
    I re-played FF7 recently and it held up a little better than I expected. The main story isn't as strong as FF6, but I ended up liking some of the characters I expected to hate. Aeris I remember being pretty bland and passive, but she's actually pretty much in charge for the first desk. She infiltrates a terrorist organization and uses them to carry our her goals, then knowingly and purposefully leaves them and sacrifices herself, saving the planet in the process. She also asks a guy she likes on a date by grabbing his arm and forcibly dragging him onto carnival rides, which is a nice break from passive female characters who sit around and hope Senpai will notice them.

Mostly the thing that drags down the game is that any member of the party, including Yuffie, would be a better leader than Cloud. He's not really whiny, just bland and unstable, to the point where it's not at all clear why anyone in the party would like or trust him, or want him to succeed.

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    No matter what your opinion of ffviii is

It gave us one of the undeniably best songs in the series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jho-peCAKs

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Brolo wrote: »
    Describe Tifa's character without referring to her appearance or her job role in the story.

She's... hopeful?

Well the thing is a lot of her outward hopefulness is an illusion.

She's person who struggles to express herself openly, instead worrying about how she can make other people happy, to her detriment. She's a strong person, but has trouble realizing it.

A person who, because of this, at first allows herself to sink into a passive role, where she's there as the one to support the people she cares about while putting what she wants and how she feels on the backburner. She allows herself and Cloud to essentially live a lie, and risks losing the person she loves, because while she may seem optimistic and personable, she has difficulty communicating with people.

Eventually she comes to terms with herself and takes a more active role in her life, and Cloud's. With the implication by the end she has grown into a more confident, sure of herself woman.

Of course then the stuff we got years after the game did diddly-squat with her.

Thinking about this, this is a pretty amazingly positive and strong message for any Japanese schoolgirl playing the game, probably a group that was in mind when the game was being made.

Because man I can see some aspects of her in a good chunk of my students.

• Options
    Squidget0Squidget0 Registered User regular
    Thinking about it, FF7 would have been a better story if the main character had been anyone in the party other than Cloud.

Slightly different, but better. Cloud should have been a wacky side character you pick up, then take out of your party once you get somebody with better cutscene dialog.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    hey she had a sweet fight with loz

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    No matter what your opinion of ffviii is

It gave us one of the undeniably best songs in the series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jho-peCAKs

I've been put in charge of music for our weekly D&D campaign

This is our normal battle theme

• Options
    Squidget0 wrote: »
    Mostly the thing that drags down the game is that any member of the party, including Yuffie, would be a better leader than Cloud. He's not really whiny, just bland and unstable, to the point where it's not at all clear why anyone in the party would like or trust him, or want him to succeed.

at least we got cid who knew how to take charge

• Options
    Squidget0 wrote: »
    Thinking about it, FF7 would have been a better story if the main character had been anyone in the party other than Cloud.

Slightly different, but better. Cloud should have been a wacky side character you pick up, then take out of your party once you get somebody with better cutscene dialog.

Nah.

Struggling with your identity is a pretty big theme in FF7. And Cloud is the one with the biggest identity crisis.

The only character I would even entertain making the lead instead is Tifa, but the very nature of her character arc probably makes it better for her to be the #2.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    It is totally worth noting that the localization of FF7 was so bad that judging any of the characters based on that point is maybe shaky grounds.

That isn't to say it excuses every part of their design, but in terms of characterization and writing I really feel like we have no fucking idea.

• Options
    UiStyOu.png

• Options
    Maddoc wrote: »
    It is totally worth noting that the localization of FF7 was so bad that judging any of the characters based on that point is maybe shaky grounds.

That isn't to say it excuses every part of their design, but in terms of characterization and writing I really feel like we have no fucking idea.

Man, the localization had some issues, but it wasn't anywhere near that bad.

There's more than enough there to analyze the characters and themes.

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    I like the regular ffviii battle theme a good deal too, though the ffvi battle song is probably my favorite overall

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    of course my earlier statement was wrong in that there are actually two dragon themes and... and... how could you possibly pick between the two

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N56kBpMU1yA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEK84_OSb38

• Options
    It's kind of interesting to me, in general, about how ideas grow, and get legs, and spread, and propagate themselves, etc.

Because like, two, three years ago? When talk of FF7 came up I never, ever heard any references to the quality of its localization or translation. Certainly zero mention of it when the game was newly out and in the prime of its popularity.

But in the last, say, six months or so, I don't think I have heard anyone say something about FF7 without its localization being brought up critically.

Just, very interesting.

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    It's kind of interesting to me, in general, about how ideas grow, and get legs, and spread, and propagate themselves, etc.

Because like, two, three years ago? When talk of FF7 came up I never, ever heard any references to the quality of its localization or translation. Certainly zero mention of it when the game was newly out and in the prime of its popularity.

But in the last, say, six months or so, I don't think I have heard anyone say something about FF7 without its localization being brought up critically.

Just, very interesting.

The localization is something I've heard about since I discovered Internet message boards

So pretty well over a decade I've been hearing it harped on

• Options
    People have always acknowledged that 7 has some localization issues but over the years it's gotten more and more overstated until it's basically become a meme.

Same goes for "people only liked it cause it was their first FF/RPG/story-driven game".

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I've never talked about it in the past ~10 years without its script being brought up, if only because jobs done nowadays (or even back then) are much more professional and clean

Also I liked 7, and pretty much all the FFs I've played to completion

I really need to give 10 a fair shot and get through all of it

But right now I am playing Mother 1, and I think that has to take precedent

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Also I actually really liked Aeris, though probably not for the same reason most people did

I got the impression that she liked Cloud for a while because he was acting exactly like her dead boyfriend, but at some point she went "Hrm" and that kind of faded out

For the few hours leading up to her death I could feel it in the air, in everything she did - people treated it as being so super shocking when she died, but the game foreshadowed it a lot, and she acted like a person who knew it was coming. Even down to the last moment, when Sephiroth drove the sword into her back, I think she was banking on it

I think she was playing the long game the entire time, and planned for the game to end the way it did

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    I disliked Aerith because she was kind of a Mary Sue.

She was talented and pretty and everyone loved her as soon as they met her and was the last surviving member of a super-special race and was the only one who could save the planet and blah.

She just seemed too perfect and was basically Jesus.

• Options
    That isn't what Mary Sue means, and then she died

It's okay to have a strange girl be a martyr

Martyrs tend to be that sort of character (the ones with no real moral flaws)

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    JakorianJakorian Registered User regular
    Watching Brad and Vinny play DS2 makes me feel like an idiot for missing a bunch of stuff that's not even hidden.

• Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    hey she had a sweet fight with loz

It was a sweet fight until the end where he was all "I wasn't even trying" and beats her in like five seconds because no one else can fight as good as Cloud who can take all 3 of them on and then fight Sephiroth.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    Eh, Mary Sues can be described as characters who are basically perfect and loved by every other character, which is pretty much Aerith.

Like it is often used to describe an author-insert, but not always.

She has no flaws, and even the one kinda shitty thing she does(moving in on Cloud right in front of Tifa) isn't really framed as a shitty thing to do.

I just find her incredibly boring, and even dying doesn't stop her from being the bestest, most important person ever.

• Options
    I'm sure there's something else that would stand out if I really thought about it

But the only Tifa scene that really made me go like :| was the fight with Scarlet

Like, Tifa is strong. She could slug it out with Sabin and hold her own, that's the role she fills. She can do with her hands what Cloud can do with his big sword. She could punch out the moon

So when she fights Scarlet she gets into a slap fight

THat she can lose

Who wrote that part of the game

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Hey guys

FF6 is amazing

like, I think it's x1000 better than FF7

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Wyborn wrote: »
    I'm sure there's something else that would stand out if I really thought about it

But the only Tifa scene that really made me go like :| was the fight with Scarlet

Like, Tifa is strong. She could slug it out with Sabin and hold her own, that's the role she fills. She can do with her hands what Cloud can do with his big sword. She could punch out the moon

So when she fights Scarlet she gets into a slap fight

THat she can lose

Who wrote that part of the game

7 has these moments where they suddenly just get super goofy and weird.

It makes me wonder how offputting it would be if we did get a remake with modern graphics.

• Options
    they did rough him up a bit at the start. is tifa the only one that fought one of the trio besides cloud?

• Options
    I think FFVI is just okay personally

Like I can't really think of anything wrong with it

I just don't find the plot or most of the characters engaging

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »
    Hey guys

FF6 is amazing

like, I think it's x1000 better than FF7

Conversely, I find FF6 lacks focus and is filled with a shitty character for every great one.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    6 and 7 are my fav FF games and both would probably make my general all-time top ten.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
This discussion has been closed.