As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Infamous: Second Son] I can't stand the rain.

AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
edited April 2014 in Games and Technology
infamous-second-son-ps4-wallpaper-1080p.jpg

Game comes out on Friday. Are you hyped? I played through half of Infamous and never played Infamous 2 but I'll give this one a shot.

It's got some awesome features:

GOOD GRAFFIX.

OPEN WORLD.

COFFEE.

BEANIES.

Keep spoilers behind spoiler tags. I MEAN IT.

Sterica on

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I love this series and it disappoints me that I won't be picking this one up right away. It looks great.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    nusunusu Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    This thread is already seriously lacking in videos….

Touch me I'm sick commercial:
    http://youtu.be/JhtU_sjQzjM

E3 2013 trailer:
    http://youtu.be/MlNfJvFnzc8

Make it rain lighting/weather viDoc:
    (spoilered to reduce pictures loading)

nusu on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I got nothing to say but "WOO!" and "YISSSS!"

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I know nothing about this except I kind of liked 1 and 2 and that guy looks like the absolute epitome of douchebag.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Let's get all the rain-related music out of the way

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHcyJPTTn9w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gu2pVPWGYMQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIPan-rEQJA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qVPNONdF58

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geC2gHZ6m2g

(Prince is stingy about his rights and so Purple Rain is not on Youtube)

Anyways, so psyched for this, for multiple reasons:

- New Infamous!
    - First big console exclusive I give a shit about (sorry Killzone)
    - Seattle! Always wanted to go there, I love the rain, plus it's not a city you see often in video games
    - Native American hero...sort of. A fictional tribe, because they apparently didn't want to offend anybody. I can see the logic underlying there, but it's still a rather big missed opportunity for representation of an incredibly small (and shrinking) minority.
    - Multiple powers, handled better than Infamous 2. I don't want to be told to choose powers, or worse, have those powers tied to story decisions. Let me be a god and have everything.
    - I also really like how you don't, say, "choose" from a menu to go from neon powers to smoke powers - whichever energy type you drain, that's what you have equipped until you find a different source. That sounds great
    - Delsin looks to have an actual personality and confidence to him that Cole was sorely lacking.
    - No Zeke (he got better in 2, the way it is better to be shot than stabbed)
    - Single-player only, so I may have a shot at the Plat

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Cole developed a bit of a personality in the second game. Delsin is still leagues ahead, though.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I think this would be a great song for an ad campaign:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpBFOJ3R0M4

edit for a higher quality video.

nusu on
  • Options
    How did I forget that

I am shamed

And yeah, Sleeping Dogs has taught me how beautiful rain effects can be, and that was last-gen

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    - Seattle! Always wanted to go there, I love the rain, plus it's not a city you see often in video games

They seem to have a couple of pretty "Seattle" landmarks, but the actual city has a lot of tall buildings and its kind of jarring not seeing them all there.

edit: And the mountain. Jesus did Mt Rainier explode in this timeline?

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    ShatterShockShatterShock Registered User regular
    Yeah, they designed the city for gameplay over accuracy but still:

800px-Space_Needle002.jpg

It's a shame there can't be more verticality.

Also: I think I'm going to have to force myself to play through this with all of the evil decisions first, as I know that if I go with the good route I will just stick with the good ending and not want to sour it with the evil path.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    They lovingly rendered the gum wall, I think they hit the right notes with seattle:

InFamous-Second-Son-Gets-New-Screenshots-Featuring-Seattle-Landmarks-424982-2.jpg

nusu on
  • Options
    Gum wall?

That's awesome

• Options
    This game is going to spawn so many screenshots… so many

InFamous-Second-Son-Gets-New-Screenshots-Featuring-Seattle-Landmarks-424982-3.jpg

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    I mean kinof;

This is what Post Alley looks like

IMG_6141.jpg

and this is what the gum wall looks like

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTf-rXIdEKszIK_hic03BFwzgpRlhgApG9CLbKWyyfYfKFZftKT

Both images shamelessly stolen

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Bookmarking thread and getting ready to stay away come Friday. I'm not risking having anything ruined and it'll be a while before I can get the game.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    I love this series and it disappoints me that I won't be picking this one up right away. It looks great.

Same here. Really loved 1 and 2 (the good ending is one of my favorite endings) and I'm sad I'm missing out on this.

On the other hand, I feel like I seen or heard very little of the actual gameplay. That's slightly worrying.

• Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    Thanks for putting the thread up @allforce, I was wondering if we had one lying around or not. I was a big fan of Infamous 1, and enjoyed Infamous 2 immensely. Already preordered digitally, just waiting for the chance to download this beauty.

13222821003_c4b72aea1d_o.png

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    What?

There's a ton of gameplay footage out there

Too much actually

I'm trying to go dark until Friday

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Do you need to have played the first two to 'get' this?

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    I'm not going dark per se, just being careful on twitch/youtube. My activity feed will be hard to avoid, though. I'm going to go ahead and apologize now for screenshots and videos I post (on the PS4), and try to avoid posting spoilers.

• Options
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »

I'm not sure but

A better question is why haven't you played the first two?

• Options
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    Thanks for putting the thread up @allforce, I was wondering if we had one lying around or not. I was a big fan of Infamous 1, and enjoyed Infamous 2 immensely. Already preordered digitally, just waiting for the chance to download this beauty.

Where did you find that image, and can I post it on twitter?

• Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular

I'm not sure but

And a better answer would be probably not. Doesn't seem to require background knowledge to understand what's going on.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Kinda on the fence with this one. I liked the first one okay but for some reason it never kicked up to awesome for me. Never gave the second one a shot.

I'm just hoping the morality choices are a little... muddier.

"Hm. On the one hand, I could save this kitten. On the other, I could eat its liver with some fava beans."

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Huge fan of inFamous 1&2, but no PS4 for the foreseeable future, gonna be drinking yer impressions when it finally releases. ;D

Gotta say, kinda disappointed with the reveal of the Neon powers. The initial pitch was that Delsin was a power mimic type like Rogue or Peter Petrelli, and I was hype for the idea of a huge range of abilities, but the Neon stuff is just pallet swapped Smoke stuff, with tweaked properties. Him using the same animation for a double jump with either Neon or Smoke, and just having a different colour streak coming out of his arms is especially disappointing.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    nusu wrote: »

Where did you find that image, and can I post it on twitter?

Neogaf screenshot thread. And up to you if you want to post it on twitter.

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    I have never played infamous 1/2 due to not owning a PS3, so I will be entering the series fresh. I am super pumped!

• Options
    Huge fan of inFamous 1&2, but no PS4 for the foreseeable future, gonna be drinking yer impressions when it finally releases. ;D

Gotta say, kinda disappointed with the reveal of the Neon powers. The initial pitch was that Delsin was a power mimic type like Rogue or Peter Petrelli, and I was hype for the idea of a huge range of abilities, but the Neon stuff is just pallet swapped Smoke stuff, with tweaked properties. Him using the same animation for a double jump with either Neon or Smoke, and just having a different colour streak coming out of his arms is especially disappointing.

There are other power(s) that haven't been officially revealed (yet). No idea if they're similar to the first two. I agree that the neon power seems a little too similar to the smoke power, but I'm not sure I'd call it a straight pallet swap.

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Same here. Really loved 1 and 2 (the good ending is one of my favorite endings) and I'm sad I'm missing out on this.

On the other hand, I feel like I seen or heard very little of the actual gameplay. That's slightly worrying.

There's an entire video walkthrough already on YouTube, not to mention if you pull up Live On Playstation on your PS4 there's about a dozen people streaming their copies they got early at any given time.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    They seem to be really coy about the connection, if there is one, between the first two games and this one. I mean, I can think of one HUGE narrative thing they're gonna have to deal with if they are connected.

Also, thread title makes me want Missy Elliot DLC complete with garbage bag suit.

You think if it was raining in Seattle and we were playing as Cole McGrath, he'd constantly be losing health?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    jeffinvajeffinva Koogler coming this summerRegistered User regular
    Done paid for. Will pick it up Friday and hopefully play it some - though with my schedule I may be waiting until Sunday.

I've been messing around with this site for a few weeks, kind of an ARG I suppose for the game: http://enjoyyourpower.com/?locale=en

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular

I'm not sure but

Lack of time really. I own them both, they're both installed, I just haven't really got round to it. From the demo the first felt a bit more like a shooter where you reloaded with electricity than what I usually imagine as a super-hero game. Also the traversal in the first didn't really click for me, though I liked it more than Prototype, the game felt like it had weight behind it.

I COULD use playing them as a good excuse to put off getting a PS4 a little longer. My backlog is getting a lot shorter (finished up a replay of Uncharted 3, just played through Brothers, now I've got Last of Us: Left Behind and South Park and then it's PS4 time).

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Kinda on the fence with this one. I liked the first one okay but for some reason it never kicked up to awesome for me. Never gave the second one a shot.

I'm just hoping the morality choices are a little... muddier.

"Hm. On the one hand, I could save this kitten. On the other, I could eat its liver with some fava beans."

Yeah that was a big problem for me in the first two games. A lot of the times, it was "Should I be good and save this person, or evil JUST BECAUSE".

For example, the food choice at the beginning is ideal. Do you spread the food out for everybody, or shoot the civilians and take all the food for yourselves? That's an interesting choice, there's selfishness vs selflessness.

But most of the choices aren't like that. You gain nothing by being evil except being evil.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    From the demo the first felt a bit more like a shooter where you reloaded with electricity than what I usually imagine as a super-hero game.

This is a very fair criticism, and not something they appear to have changed in the third game.

• Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    Ordered my copy digitally on the US store using Amazon PSN credit. Can't wait.

Interesting that there are a lot of UK adverts popping up for the game and it shows clips from the trailers that highlights at the bottom of the advert "Not game footage". Yet looking at the screenshots people are posting of the game make it look even better than the footage from the advert.

• Options
    ShatterShockShatterShock Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    IGN provides a helpful plot summary of the inFamous series so far:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wd_7bjsphA4

ShatterShock on
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    That is a great summary. As I never finished the second one. :) Both games were fun though in the open world sense.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular

13222821003_c4b72aea1d_o.png

Jesus fucking christ. Why the fuck is this game releasing on a Friday. Oh. I know why. Because I'd blow off EVERYTHING and rationalize it with screenshots like this. Good on SONY and Sucker Punch!

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    jeffinvajeffinva Koogler coming this summerRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Saturday night I was reading a friend's FB posts about her newly received but non-functioning PS4. I imagined Clint Mansell's Requiem for a Dream as I read her updates, posted in quick succession, the sadness and urgency rising until she accepted defeat and was resigned to mail it in to Sony and miss out on Second Son until next week. She was the person who talked me into preordering it.

Despite Sony's support exhausting their options and concluding that they had to replace it, I figured the symptoms sounded like a bad hard drive - maybe bad sectors, because the hard drive showed up but writing the OS to it was generating errors at random intervals. So Sunday morning I dropped off a spare 500 GB drive I pulled from an enclosure. I measured it to make sure it was slim enough to fit in a PS4. It worked! She popped it in and reloaded the OS from a thumb drive.

Since then she's been going pretty hard at it. In a eight hour period I see she's played Awesomenauts, Warframe, Doki-Doki Universe, and Killzone.

jeffinva on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I started playing a bunch of INfamous 2 tonight. Endgame I think?
    So the Beast is in Marais. HOLY SHIT. THAT DESTRUCTION. The aftermath of the bomb was intense. I am gonna powe rthrough and finish it tomorrow night

And then restart Infamous 1 on the evil playthrough and do it all over again as a dick Cole! Hopefully a few months will have passed by then and I can get Second Son :D