As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I should have had [chat] prepared!

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Urgh my plan to get stuff done earlier keeps getting ruined, I guess Tuesday will be the same as all Tuesdays.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    MrMister wrote: »
    ooh ooh i know this one

business C is composed of individuals who refuse to be stifled and feel like things should be done their way -- these design guidelines are terrible i'm just going to make my part the way that it should be done. this policy doesn't make sense to me; i'm just going to ignore it. my boss wants me to work on project A but honestly i am way better suited and more interested on project B so that is what i am going to do.

I have to say, Will, a lot of what you're saying seems motivated by a hardcore hate boner for fucking disreputable hippies. It's like you're fighting a culture war out of time. Which is fine, I guess, I mean I'm still siding with the Communists, if we want to compare who's tilting at older windmills. But I grew up in what is by all lights about as hippy an environment as they come (the lovely Ojai, California, known for its moon cults). And despite its various excesses--let's not get into the state of the science education provided by people who sincerely believe in healing crystals--I think that in terms of its values it was great.

I mean, here's an opposing anecdote. Recently I was playing 7 wonders with a bunch of people. Normally when we play we just add up our scores by ourselves at the end. But the dude who brought the game, this time, absolutely insisted that instead of doing that we all use the little score sheet that came with the game. It took about four times as long, and involved us all awkwardly sitting around reading out sub-portions of our score (7 points from red...) while he scribbled them down. It was So. Dumb. But he had to do it! Because--there was a sheet! That's what it was for. What--were we just going to not use the sheet?

He had a similar fit when some people wanted to trade in their wonders for new ones they hadn't tried before. He was like: oh, well they're supposed to be random. It's only the rules.

Yeah, well sometimes the rules are dumb, and we can think about what works for or against people instead.

i mean i am not championing all rules for their own sake

but i do think the modern american ethic of radical individualism is harmful. i'm not a communist but i do believe in communitarianism - we all exist in society and need to understand and be mindful of who we are from the perspectives of other people and our various society as a whole.

we need to be a good son and a good brother and a good neighbor and a good colleague and a good citizen.

and part of that means that we follow social rules that we didn't independently invent sometimes. we don't pick our noses at the table and we don't spit on the street and we take off our hats indoors and we say please and thank you and we shower at least once a week and we don't wear our larp gear to a funeral.

and maybe it feels like i'm some kind of 1960s square revanchist, but i don't think that the continuing lessons of the hippie movement has really done our culture any favors

Just going to point out that rampant individualism you are talking about isn't Hippie culture but Yuppie culture of the late 1970's into the 1980's.

Hippies were more Utopian communalist. The belief in care and acceptance of all as they were but also that we as a society must take care of the poor, the bereft, the sick and expend resources to do that. Yuppies are the my way or highway all for me and mine thought process.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    hmm the company's education thing might be better than I thought

but since this degree is not relevant to my current job idk if they will spring for it

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Oh they released the rest of the info. The guy driving on the wrong side of the road was killed.
    The driver in the car that was destroyed actually lived.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    Haphazard wrote: »
    Who's the first one in those pics? Scott Free?
    If you mean shaz's pics: It is DOOM.
    Hmm, I really would of thought it Mr. Miracle.

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    Will has scared me off properly of getting a suit. I am wearing a pair of my Savane slacks and an off the shelf claiborne button up to pax. I will get a tie. There are too many opinions on suits. Fuck it all.

Bow ties.

488W936.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    kaleedity wrote: »
    nate silver organizes his books by color

natebookcase.jpeg

this is a really dumb and nonsensical thing to do if you ever want to actually find a book you're looking for

geez nate silver

what an idiot

no aspergers here no siree

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    LOL

My PAX East badges were supposed to be delivered today.

Delivery came during the short interval of time where no one was home...

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

Hmm

Would chat disown me if I changed my avatar y/y

Skippy would but he's kinda a weirdo.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Delmain wrote: »
    I don't see why younger people should be the ones that have to change.

Maybe the older generation should stop pussyfooting around and judge people on their merits for the work at hand rather than their ability to dress for an interview/work?

lol

the point is that you need to know how to engage the world on its own terms rather than demand the world engage you on your own terms.

because, generally speaking, it won't.

On the other hand this does somewhat rule out social progression

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Corehealer wrote: »
    Will has scared me off properly of getting a suit. I am wearing a pair of my Savane slacks and an off the shelf claiborne button up to pax. I will get a tie. There are too many opinions on suits. Fuck it all.

Bow ties.
    that spin and shoot acid into the face of your enemies.
    you're going to need some acid refills with all those jackholes around

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    That photo is not at all typical of the era.

It definitely was not a Thing(tm) for blue collar workers to wear ties and vests to a factory floor in the 1920s.

My guess is that either that workplace environment was unusual or (more likely) the workers were told by management to dress up for photo day.

it wasn't always ties, true. for one thing, ties can be a safety liability.

but looking at photographs of people at work at factories or poor people out on the town you don't really see a great deal of difference between the way poor people dressed and the way rich people dressed - it tended to be button-up shirts jackets, vests, hats, sometimes ties, etc. i mean clearly the rich people had finer, fancier clothes, but the actual structure of dress was real similar.

at some point between the 20s and 60s this proletarian ethic that poor people should dress in solidarity with their social class sort of spread and created the views we have today. i think it's a crummy ethic and i think it's mostly limiting to poor people who have been sold the idea that they're somehow selling out if they wear a tie to a job interview.

Just as Feral was wrong about the factory, you're being pretty wrong here. There is a world of difference between the suits those workers are wearing and what their bosses would have been wearing. There wasn't a uniformity of appearance during the periods you mentioned.

a few years ago when the vintage thing was really driving a lot of fashion designs i bought a couple of j crew jackets that were essentially rebuilt french work jackets from the 30s or so. they don't look exactly like modern sportcoats, of course, but they look more like modern sportcoats than anything else contemporary.

and i mean i guess for the time, those workcoats looked far different from suit jackets, but the difference between the two is far less than, say, the difference between a suit jacket and a sports jersey or muscle tee.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Urgh my plan to get stuff done earlier keeps getting ruined, I guess Tuesday will be the same as all Tuesdays.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ysP_X_CmE_s

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    muscl t's got #swag will

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    GOD FUCKING DAMMIT WILL
    Lemme handle this

*Grabs ludious by the sleeves of what Im assuming is a Skynard t-shirt.*

Listen, Bro. You can do this. Just go to Men's Wearhouse and get yourself one of them Abboud or CK suits. Either one. They both look dope. You can do this. And when I see you in Boston, we are going to roofie Will and pose with him in pictures wherein he is wearing asuit with a trinity knot and a naruto headband.

• Options
    Paris' clothing stores were plastered with "no vintage" signs.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I am such an asshole.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Okay, workplace semantics question.

Somebody mentions creating a "phone tree." What do you think that means?

Because we have a few people here who think it means one thing and a few people here who think it means something quite different.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    Oh they released the rest of the info. The guy driving on the wrong side of the road was killed.

??

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    kaleedity wrote: »
    nate silver organizes his books by color

natebookcase.jpeg

this is a really dumb and nonsensical thing to do if you ever want to actually find a book you're looking for

geez nate silver

what an idiot

no aspergers here no siree

The shelving position and whether or not it is currently shelved or elsewhere for every book is tracked on an elaborate spreadsheet

The colour coding of the spreadsheet does not match the colours of then shelves

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Naruto headbands are totes acceptable fashion accessories when you're dressed up, shut up.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Who's the first one in those pics? Scott Free?
    If you mean shaz's pics: It is DOOM.
    Hmm, I really would of thought it Mr. Miracle.

: p

Also I could see Scott free, but doom has the center line down the nose and chin as a defining feature and the hood fits -- miracle has that collared thing going.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular

Because we have a few people here who think it means one thing and a few people here who think it means something quite different.

u bury a phone and give it plenty of water and sunlight?

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Drez wrote: »
    I am such an asshole.

Aren't we all occasionally? What's up?

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod

go to a thrift store and pick up a sport coat

it will cost about $20.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular

One person says something in a meeting.
    Then several other people in the meeting have to make phone calls because of it.
    The people they phone then have to make more phone calls because of the content of those calls.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    I stopped reading when you accused me of wearing a skynard tshirt

I will never read that post. That post is dead to me. Fuck your post

It's a ZZ Top tshirt

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular

That's when you call the main number and like, press 1 for sales, press 2 for support, $c.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options

... modern art?

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »

One person says something in a meeting.
    Then several other people in the meeting have to make phone calls because of it.
    The people they phone then have to make more phone calls because of the content of those calls.

That's what I think it means.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular

A system by which individuals are informed of information and then tasked with informing the subsequent person on a list.

• Options

It's a ZZ Top tshirt

Yeah, with that beard, you would be a ZZ top fan...

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Naruto headbands are totes acceptable fashion accessories when you're dressed up, shut up.

Great! Im going to need you to stand next to passed-out-will in the pictures. Like hold him up Weekend at Bernies style, cool?

• Options
    Aioua wrote: »

That's when you call the main number and like, press 1 for sales, press 2 for support, $c.

That's what the other group thinks it means.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular

I would think the thing where a person is responsible for contacting a group of people who are in turn responsible for contacting subgroups, and so on and so forth

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular

like a calldown list for a COOP or a chain of command sheet with phone numbers, or a directory, or what

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular

It's a ZZ Top tshirt

I didn't know you could read!

• Options
    TTODewback wrote: »

??

they had a wreck on the way to work this morning where someone was driving down the wrong side of a divided highway in the rain. they said someone died and the car that was going the correct way was destroyed. but when they released the full report on it it was the wrong way driver that died even though his car was pretty much intact.

Bless your heart.
  • Options

Alan calls Bob and Carol
    Bob Calls Dave and Erin
    Carol Calls Francine and Gary
    etc...etc...

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Finished Limbo. Good game.

smCQ5WE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.