As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Gridders] Delving dungeons one step at a time

1181920212224»

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    I watched a full playthrough of MM2 and have been itching to play it myself since. That game is just so fascinatingly distinct from almost any genre we have today, and feels vast for its time.

The start is absolutely murder though, christ.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Continuing with Etrian Nexus, man this EO3 Labyrinth sure is making me work for it. So many fucking fishes, and if they decide to focus a bit they can totally kill my Hero through his shield skill.

Still, I think I'm closing in on the boss now.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Yeah, the fishies are aggravating.

Just got subclassing unlocked on this run. So now I'm running with:
    Ronin/Nightseeker, Hero/Ninja, Harbinger/Medic
    Gunner/Puglist, Sovereign/Zodiac

I haven't had anyone go down in a while on bosses with this (random encounters are a different story, lol). Looking forward to seeing how much more damage output I get with Nightseeker proficiency/foul mastery for a status Ronin setup (well, mainly Foul Mastery, though Miasma Tsunami turns are good for throwing out Stone Thrust to fish for Petrify)

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Man, I loved Xeen as a kid. I still catch myself humming the title themes every now and then. What a banger soundtrack.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    The Xeen games were neat, though I wasn't a fan of how the worlds and quests felt like they were generated entirely through Mad Libs.

I didn't really like MM6, though. It felt like it kind of failed at basic 3D combat design. It threw enemies at you like the turn-based games, but didn't provide any means of safely or effectively dealing with them besides kiting them.

• Options
    edited February 2023
    It's a power curve, you start of with base mobs being dangerous and forcing you to kite them, and ends with you flying in the sky, dropping meteors on them. But unlike modern games, where this curve applies absolutely and makes end game rote and uninteresting, in MM6 there will always be non-trash mobs that will just wipe the floor with you if you're not managing debuffs and buffs correctly, or the encounters will be inside dungeons with the level layouts designed to make trivial encounters murderous once more.

Basically, the game never feels quite balanced, and that's what makes it fun, because it applies both ways. One moment you're a vengeful god, another a hydra has just one-shot your casters, your Fly wore off and oh shit those hundreds of ants below you are all wailing on you now oh god oh god make the pain stop.

Glal on
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    ZScAARIm.jpg

• Options
    Man, the whole Petal Bridge dungeons in EO Nexus were a fucking nightmare. I can deal with some statuses, I can't deal with literally every enemy in the dungeon having a minimum of one multi-target status attack, or a multi-target ailment resistance reduction effect, or both! teams of enemies with AoE ailment resist reduction, AoE petrify, and AoE head bind (to make sure your healers can't heal those statuses) are a pain in the ass, and the fucking moths, man.

By comparison the next labyrinth is being a picnic.

• Options
    Clouds: done! Time to get darkpilled.
    phcsmnucncei.png

• Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    phcsmnucncei.png

What did you run for a party?

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    Man, the whole Petal Bridge dungeons in EO Nexus were a fucking nightmare. I can deal with some statuses, I can't deal with literally every enemy in the dungeon having a minimum of one multi-target status attack, or a multi-target ailment resistance reduction effect, or both! teams of enemies with AoE ailment resist reduction, AoE petrify, and AoE head bind (to make sure your healers can't heal those statuses) are a pain in the ass, and the fucking moths, man.

have you tried running BIG DPS party

• Options
    Lucedes wrote: »
    Drascin wrote: »

have you tried running BIG DPS party

Given part of the problem are moths with really fast AoE confuse attacks, I suspect that would have resulted in my party killing each other before the enemy could kill them.

• Options
    edited March 2023
    McHoger wrote: »
    phcsmnucncei.png

What did you run for a party?
    Just went with the FAQ recommended party of

Half-Orc Barbarian
    Human Paladin
    Dwarf Ninja
    Gnome Cleric
    Human Archer
    Elf Sorcerer

though I used a mod to make them all look like gnolls, because the default portraits are silly and I have no nostalgia for them.

Glal on
  • Options
    The maker of Primordia is making a dungeon crawler and it looks like an Amiga game? Yes please where do I sign.

• Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    Man, I feel bad cause I didn't even mention it in here, but The Lost Child was delisted this weekend on Switch eShop. Hopefully it's due for a re-release. Apparently it's a SMT-alike. Or as the reviews say, "It's like Etrain Odyssey and Pokemon had a baby."

• Options
    edited September 2023
    6ff9clxyedzo.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbKpViQdyR4

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2518960/Wizardry_Proving_Grounds_of_the_Mad_Overlord/

Um.

What.

Edit: Holy moses you can literally show the original Apple IIe game on top of the remake:

lyog9dwilg9e.png

That's how faithful this is. It literally maps 1 to 1 to the original game behind the scenes.

KiTA on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Well fuck yeah

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    The maker of Primordia is making a dungeon crawler and it looks like an Amiga game? Yes please where do I sign.

I missed the Kickstarter on this, but they have a dedicated Youtube channel where they've been uploading art/animation teasers and the game looks way more wild than the PC Gamer Twitter preview shows.

https://www.youtube.com/@hibernaculum/videos

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    KiTA wrote: »
    Man, I feel bad cause I didn't even mention it in here, but The Lost Child was delisted this weekend on Switch eShop. Hopefully it's due for a re-release. Apparently it's a SMT-alike. Or as the reviews say, "It's like Etrain Odyssey and Pokemon had a baby."

It's more like Soul Hackers paired with the Cthulhu mythos. In fact, it's a better Soul Hackers 2 than Soul Hackers 2.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Re: Wizardry, god, if they covered something like Might&Magic 2 with this treatment next they can have my whole bank account, that's the #1 title for me for a game I would absolutely love to experience in its best form, but cannot play because even with QoL tools it's inscrutable.

[edit] Oh hell, I already waxed poetic about MM2 at the top of this page, guess I'm just predictable.

Glal on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    The last time I went to play wizardry and realized I really needed to reroll characters for a couple hours before starting I bounced. Young me was willing, but not now me. I'm wondering how much those little quality of life things will offend me if I try to go back.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Wizardry 1 works fine with just "normal" stat rolls, and maybe changing class to an advanced class later if you find a good piece of gear. You don't have to fish for rare absurd stat pools right from the jump.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    There was just onesix things left to do.

Fight
    Fight
    Fight
    Parry
    Parry
    TILTOWAIT

• Options
    I missed Inferno, Beyond the 7th Circle earlier, and the same guy has a new one coming out.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1251850/Inferno__Beyond_the_7th_Circle/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2197650/Ludus_Mortis/

Ludus Mortis just hit Early Access.

• Options
    If anyone plays them, please report, they both look neat, I especially like Ludus' monster art (I hope you can put in custom player portraits though, those look... plain).

• Options
    edited December 2023
    https://www.gematsu.com/2023/11/class-of-heroes-1-2-complete-edition-announced-for-ps5-switch-and-pc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3lmSYBQ954

Class of Heroes 1 + 2 's remakes are getting localized. Including a physical according to reddit. PS/Steam/Switch. PS/Switch versions are a bundle, Steam are individuals.

KiTA on
  • Options
    cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    That's interesting, as there was no Japanese PS release.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    cckerberos wrote: »
    That's interesting, as there was no Japanese PS release.

Not yet, anyway. I think the 1+2 bundle is new?

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    The games are okay, nothing special, but I'm still sad we haven't gotten the nearly finished version of 3.

http://www.gaijinworks.com/about/psp-on-psn/class-of-heroes-3/

I hear the games get better with each incarnation(the numbered ones, anyway).

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Oh, someone other than Gaijinworks? That means there's a possibility that it's true.

• Options
    edited December 2023
    I remember loving the original CoH, so I'm on board!
    [edit] Wait, they're being released separately? Interesting choice. Hope they're priced appropriately, otherwise I'm not sure why I'd pick up the first one.

Glal on
  • Options
    Friendly reminder c/o Frieren:
    a522rbf4ei1d.png

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Unless it's a monster house.

• Options
    PLA wrote: »
    Unless it's a monster house.
    ESPECIALLY if it's a monster house. XP yo. Does no one remember the Hall of Giants from FF1?
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    The games are okay, nothing special, but I'm still sad we haven't gotten the nearly finished version of 3.

http://www.gaijinworks.com/about/psp-on-psn/class-of-heroes-3/

I hear the games get better with each incarnation(the numbered ones, anyway).

It really is a tragedy no one in the beta testing / qa side of things has come forward with a leak of that. PSP is dead. PSN is effectively dead. A leak of that would at least let it out into the world.

However who knows, at this point we might get it on modern equipment sooner or later. 3g + 3Final would be fun. I've tried fiddling with my import copies and they're just... a bit dense. It doesn't help that the devteam asked each other "what classes should we include" and the reply was "yes."

• Options
    So about a week until Class of Heroes 1 and 2 EN release.

I'm going back trying to find the old CoH1 wiki and refresh my memory. That's proving difficult. Turns out a 20 year old game's wiki tends to vanish.

https://web.archive.org/web/20190613144241/http://pokowiki.com:80/totomono/

That's the closest working URI I can find. There's not even a new one for the remake.

The one for 2 is still up: http://masterwiki.net/totomono2/

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Is there an RPG Maker equivalent (or plugin) for gridders?

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List