As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So apparently The Winter Soldier is a pretty COOL [Superhero Movie]

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    oh gosh :o

i love manatees you guys

so much

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    There are so many things I want to say about the Daredevil issues I've sped through, but man the constant jabs at Stilt Man is so great.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Just rewatching some Avengers: EMH stuff

The heroes for hire episode is so, so good

When they ask Luke Cage, Danny Rand and Hank Pym "who the hell are you supposed to be, the Avengers?"

And Luke Cage says "yeah, we're the Avengers. I'm Captain America. My friend in the pyjamas here is Thor."

totally cracked me up

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    guys

like, all of Powers is on sale for $65 on Comixology

good deal y/n

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    In honor of the 20th anniversary of the creation of Hellboy, Dark Horse has a bundle of 77 Hellboy comics for only $50

https://digital.darkhorse.com/profile/4560/

holy cow, I wish I had $50 because that is an incredible deal

ffffffffff

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    guys

like, all of Powers is on sale for $65 on Comixology

good deal y/n
    y

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I have no luck with Marvel's Comic series search. Is Death of Captain America on there anywhere? after discussion in the last thread I want to give it another read.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    It is under the Captain America volume that started in 2004

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    ahh ok. Thanks.

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Cap-2-poster-col-paolo-rivera.jpg

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    More Ghost Rider freakouts
    Can I please get a whole series of the Undead G-Man and Knuckles O'Shaugnessy

• Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    I wish that was the official Captain America poster.

• Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    So is the new Ghost Rider series out now? That was set for march, wasn't it?

I kinda want it

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    This coming Wednesday!

• Options
    Legba wrote: »
    I wish that was the official Captain America poster.

Also applies to the one he did for the first movie:

captain-america-the-first-avenger-cast--crew-poster-by-paolo-rivera.jpg

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Hey Transformers thread: So I'm reading volume 2 of MtMtE and Whirl is awesome!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Epic Movie still exists though

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Really? I heard it wasn't bad, if you're looking for a over1the-top action movie inspired by that era, but not intended as an accurate repesentation.

• Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    Epic Movie still exists though

I watched that movie through the lens of a commentary discussing how bad it was

It was still a fucking feat of strength to get through that abomination

• Options
    moocowmoocow Registered User regular
    My dad thought Superhero Movie was an actual superhero movie. So he took a date to it. It was their second date.

WOOPS!
    They're married now.

imttnk.png
    PS4:MrZoompants
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Superhero Movie is one of the better ones.

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
  • Options
    According to Wikipedia, the Rock is playing Hercules, Zeus and Achilles in that movie

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    According to Wikipedia, the Rock is playing Hercules, Zeus and Achilles in that movie

Excellent

One step closer to the Dwayne-ularity, where The Rock will play every movie role

Etchwarts on
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular

The Greeks did invent the muscle cuirass molded to look like the idealized physique that so many modern superhero costumes now emulate.

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I like you, The Rock.

But your movie is going to perform poorly.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    I like you, The Rock.

Why, because it will be overshadowed by the overwhelming success of the other Hercules movie that dominated the box office earlier this year?

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Finished Infinity

Jeeeeeeeez

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Ceno wrote: »
    I like you, The Rock.

I'm sure I'll go see it four times, so it won't do that poorly

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    heck maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised

I certainly don't wish any ill-will towards Herc-Rock

• Options
    Rockules

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Rockules

stone by day, hero by night?

• Options
    Also
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Finished Infinity

Jeeeeeeeez
    the bad news: Avengers/New Avengers kinda spin their wheels afterwards

But Original Sin looks to get it back on track and Avengers World helps

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Do you think maybe Hickman had to spin his wheels so that all the Original Sin stuff hit at the right time? That just occurred to me.

• Options
    It definitely could be that!

"Evil Alt-Earth Avengers" and "Here's Some Alternate Worlds, also: Dr. Strange is dumb and Black Swan is evil" both seem like they could have been filler idea arcs

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Oh also Axel Alonso compared that Original Sins mini to AvX: Versus which makes me think it is an anthology of characters that either don't have a solo book or don't have the time to do a tie-in having their whole BIG SHOCKING SECRET IS REVEALED WHAT HAPPENS story

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular

I was going to say Samson was first but I can't find a clear date of Hercules' stories. (I'm not googling the right question probably.)

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    I'm fairly certain Hercules predates Samson

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

I was going to say Samson was first but I can't find a clear date of Hercules' stories. (I'm not googling the right question probably.)

The best I could find for Heracles:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heracles
    In Christian circles a Euhemerist reading of the widespread Heracles cult was attributed to a historical figure who had been offered cult status after his death. Thus Eusebius, Preparation of the Gospel (10.12), reported that Clement could offer historical dates for Hercules as a king in Argos: "from the reign of Hercules in Argos to the deification of Hercules himself and of Asclepius there are comprised thirty-eight years, according to Apollodorus the chronicler: and from that point to the deification of Castor and Pollux fifty-three years: and somewhere about this time was the capture of Troy."

Readers with a literalist bent, following Clement's reasoning, have asserted from this remark that, since Heracles ruled over Tiryns in Argos at the same time that Eurystheus ruled over Mycenae, and since at about this time Linus was Heracles' teacher, one can conclude, based on Jerome's date—in his universal history, his Chronicon—given to Linus' notoriety in teaching Heracles in 1264 BC, that Heracles' death and deification occurred 38 years later, in approximately 1226 BC

As far as Samson:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samson
    In August 2012, archaeologists from Tel Aviv University announced the discovery of a circular stone seal, approximately 15 millimetres in diameter, and apparently depicting a lion and a man. The seal was found on the floor of a house at Beth Shemesh and is dated to the 12th century BCE. Professor Shlomo Bunimovitz, a co-director of the dig, was reported as saying that the artifact helps "anchor the story [of Samson] in an archaeological setting." According to Haaretz, "excavation directors Prof. Shlomo Bunimovitz and Dr. Zvi Lederman of Tel Aviv University say they do not suggest that the human figure on the seal is the biblical Samson. Rather, the geographical proximity to the area where Samson lived, and the time period of the seal, show that a story was being told at the time of a hero who fought a lion, and that the story eventually found its way into the biblical text and onto the seal."

That's a funnily close time period for both of them!

This discussion has been closed.