Options

This was the Last PS4 Thread

• Options
    YerMumYerMum Registered User regular
    YerMum wrote: »
    The system is just now getting to the point where some people are reporting finding some in the wild with slight regularity, so Sony would have to be in bizarro world to do a price cut at the moment. They're still beating out Xbox in total worldwide sales.

It'll probably be a year before you see a cut, at least. If you really want in, you could do worse than the Infamous bundle.

Cheers, figured as much. Now to hunt down a bundle for less than £400! Savygamer linked to a tesco one a couple of days ago which sold out quick

If you go on amazon uk, they have the standard ps4 on its own for £348.98 (and it's in stock), you can get Infamous for £47 as well... which is £24 cheaper than the bundle they have for Infamous + PlayStation.

Do amazon realise they suck at pricing?

Ohh, will have a looksie today. Maybe it'll arrive by the weekend :D

Rugged individualist
    Destiny Profile : http://www.bungie.net/en/Profile/254/7028016
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Hmm, I didn't notice any bad load times while I was playing?

Maybe it's because I've played Lego City Undercover on the Wii U and now everything seems lightning-speed in comparison

• Options
    mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    Looks like a 1.01 patch came out today for Mercenary Kings, this article mentions addressing issues with "audio, loading, and online."

Hopefully it slims down the load times, which are stupid for a game like this.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    If anything, the patch broke the game; the loading times sucked, but I never had a crash or stuttering while playing before today, both of which happened to me.

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    zllehs wrote: »
    Rizzi wrote: »
    I'm waiting for the PSN store to update before I can play.
    :(
    I noticed today that Final Fantasy XIV is releasing for the PS4 on the 14th. Has anyone heard how it runs?

How it runs is not the issue... It runs smoothly... I played the free beta session .

The question is whether or not it's a good game and by all accounts... It looks to be.

Can confirm, game is good.

It also plays beautifully on the PS4, and is gorgeous. I play primarily on PC but have many accounts from others I play with that the game controls very well with the controller and you can do anything in the game just fine with it.

In short, if the game interests you, I would recommend picking it up, because it is quite good if you like MMOs (and a great starter MMO for those who have never played one!).

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Not sure I like Merc. Kings. The concept seems fun, but the controls are way too loose for some of the platforming that they have you doing. Only played for an hour or so, but there's a few places where you're platforming over spikes and the Flying Robots seem to keep coming and knocking you off the side which is death since you can't actually hop back up.

The technical hiccups also don't do this game any favors, but with it being free for PS+ which all people playing Co-Op obviously have can't really complain.

Also there are already people streaming that Natural Doctrine game; looks ok'ish. Obviously can't tell what's happening beyond the basics, but other than it being an SRPG, not really seeing VC comparison.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Yeah, dropping the Valkyria Chronicles names really feels like letting their mouths write a check their asses can't cash.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Somedays I think I am the only person on the planet that did not think Valkyria Chronicles was very good.

I would love to see some people take another crack at the general idea with some tweaks to some core systems though.

• Options
    zllehszllehs Hiding in a box, waiting to strike.Registered User regular
    Gyral wrote: »
    Yeah, dropping the Valkyria Chronicles names really feels like letting their mouths write a check their asses can't cash.

Dreams can come true!
    and to be fair i dont think the devs ever said that... Those were IGNs words lol

• Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    How do I turn off the light bar on the PS4 controller?

• Options
    Ov3rcharge wrote: »

There is currently no way to but a system update sometime in the future will give you the option to dim it.

• Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    Ov3rcharge wrote: »
    Pretty sure that was the first thing I asked. :P

• Options
    Out of curiosity is there a particular reason you guys want to turn off the light? I have never actually noticed that mine was one before.

• Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    I don't own a ps4 yet, but I would imagine during the light off would extend controller life before it needs recharging.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    The lightbar also causes some very annoying glare on a TV depending on the make.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    That's the reason I want to turn it off.

• Options
    AchireAchire Isn't life disappointing? Yes, it is. Registered User regular
    It's a bit weird they won't let you turn it off even after the patch. You can turn it off if you use the PC drivers, so it's not like it's impossible.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »

You can get those custom vinyl decals for less, they're not sticky and your controller becomes an autobot. Clearly the superior choice.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Somedays I think I am the only person on the planet that did not think Valkyria Chronicles was very good.

I would love to see some people take another crack at the general idea with some tweaks to some core systems though.

To be fair, I've never beaten the game, and had to restart three times (once after losing a PS3 and again after inadvertently wiping my Hard Drive after thinking I could save my game saves to my PC). The game was so good I didn't mind the restart. Or grinding for EXP. I remember spending hours grinding that desert level, I had it down to like 3 turns to beat. So good.

I also loved that it wasn't this strict SRPG, had this weird real time hybrid mechanic (which totally makes sense) where enemies didn't just let you run up on them, and often you could get killed (or kill) by enemies trying to set up an attack.

Man just thinking about the game now makes me want them to develop a PS4 sequel - or do an update of that second one that came out for the PSP.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    Oh hey - Knack is $25 on Newegg below greatest hits price!

• Options
    So I just tried Mercenary Kings. I really want to like it but are you fucking kidding me with these load times? This is after the patch?

Is this thing mining bitcoins or something in the background?

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    If you've got one of those terrible reflective surfaces on your TV, that light is going to be a bad time.

Also, strictly speaking, it doesn't really add much to the experience and the battery life on the controller is kind of bad so every little bit helps.

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Out of curiosity is there a particular reason you guys want to turn off the light? I have never actually noticed that mine was one before.

Same here - never noticed it was even on. I thought it only switched on for motion control stuffs.

Spaffy on
    ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    You want that thing on while you're watching Netflix/Hulu+, just slurping battery for.. reasons?

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Anyone heard anything super negative regarding early impressions on this Bound by Flame game? Preordered it on Amazon after hearing about it today. Looks like it could be a fun action RPG, and I get a Kingdoms of Amalur vibe from it.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Anyone heard anything super negative regarding early impressions on this Bound by Flame game? Preordered it on Amazon after hearing about it today. Looks like it could be a fun action RPG, and I get a Kingdoms of Amalur vibe from it.

Haven't heard much of anything at all from it, other than it's potentially a little sexist which opens up all kinds of conversation I do NOT want to have.

Getting no impression is worse than anything positive or negative. And getting a Kingdoms of Amalur vibe I don't think is the best vibe they could be going for. Kingdoms of Amalur vibe for me is 'we made this MMO, but no one else is playing it but you'.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Eh, I loved Amalur. If this game is similar at all, that's ok with me.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options

I think it could have been pretty good if it had a studio that still existed for more than a few days after release and fixed the difficulty issues.

• Options
    You want that thing on while you're watching Netflix/Hulu+, just slurping battery for.. reasons?

I've never actually used Netflix or Hulu. I didn't think of battery life concerns, it had not occurred to me. I was asking a genuine question and looking for genuine answers, thank you for providing one.

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular

I would wait for reviews personally.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKW91yBQjaI

Combat looks more like Risen than Amalur to me.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular

I've never actually used Netflix or Hulu. I didn't think of battery life concerns, it had not occurred to me. I was asking a genuine question and looking for genuine answers, thank you for providing one.

You can set the controller to turn off after 10 minutes of inactivity. I've never gone below 2 bars on either of my controllers because of this. Turning it back on is a quick tap of of the PS button.

• Options
    VorpalVorpal Registered User regular
    The light being on has never been a problem for me visually.

However I absolutely would love to turn it off to save battery.

Amalur was actually a really fun game, visually really incredible. My only complaint was that it was 'too easy'. The whole way 38 studios went down is a big shame. If Bound by Flame has a similar combat style it will probably also be a lot of fun, and that video makes it look like it has a *very* similar style.

I am actually surprised by how I'm not really enjoying Mercenary Kings as much as I thought I would. The load times are interminable. And I was spending an awful lot of time reloading until I figured out by random button mashing that you could press R1 to reload whenever you wanted, and then press R1 when the slider was in the green area to complete the reload immediately. Given just how much time you spend reloading, this should absolutely have been in the tutorial area, but as far as I can tell it was not.

So far I've just been doing single player and I could definitely see how multiplayer could be better.

steam_sig.png
    PSN: Vorpallion Twitch: Vorpallion
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    I tried split screen multi with my son, but even on a 55" TV, a single corner of the TV is far too small to actually play in and see.

Maybe I'm just getting old.

• Options
    MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Vorpal wrote: »
    And I was spending an awful lot of time reloading until I figured out by random button mashing that you could press R1 to reload whenever you wanted, and then press R1 when the slider was in the green area to complete the reload immediately. Given just how much time you spend reloading, this should absolutely have been in the tutorial area, but as far as I can tell it was not.

So that's what the colour bars on the slider are for.

That was not explained properly...

As cool as it is for the nostalgia factor of pixel based games on my TV, I don't find mercenary kings that enjoyable. It's always going to lose out to Killzone multiplayer for me.
    Houn wrote: »
    I tried split screen multi with my son, but even on a 55" TV, a single corner of the TV is far too small to actually play in and see.

Maybe I'm just getting old.

It's weird the way that works out.

Used to play split-screen multiplayer on a tiny little CRT TV and it was fine... use a 42" TV and it's unbearably small.

Muffinatron on
    PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    If you press R1 again during the yellow area, you reload immediately. If you press R1 again during the green area, the bullets reloaded into your clip will glow slightly in your ammo meter and deal 10% more damage.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    Vorpal wrote: »
    The load times are interminable. And I was spending an awful lot of time reloading until I figured out by random button mashing that you could press R1 to reload whenever you wanted, and then press R1 when the slider was in the green area to complete the reload immediately. Given just how much time you spend reloading, this should absolutely have been in the tutorial area, but as far as I can tell it was not.

It's actually a bit more technical than that. A yellow zone reload will just reload while a green zone reload will boost the reloaded bullets in your magazine. In this way it makes sense to fully empty your clip prior to reload so that you get a full amount of boosted bullets to improve your damage. Pretty sure this is a similar mechanic to the active reloading in Gears of War.

steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    VorpalVorpal Registered User regular
    Ah, interesting. I don't think that was explained at all in the tutorial.

I also have trouble matching up the little bullet icons with their names. Like...I'm using soft point ammunition. When I'm looking at various weapon parts, you can see six bullet types and modifiers for them? I'm not sure which one is the one I am currently using.

steam_sig.png
    PSN: Vorpallion Twitch: Vorpallion
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular

I would wait for reviews personally.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKW91yBQjaI

Combat looks more like Risen than Amalur to me.

The combat looks boring. There in no weight behind the attacks, or any reaction to them. Like everyone is equipped with nerf bats.

This discussion has been closed.