As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Castle Bravo, a [chat]

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    @vanguard how do you feel about a psychic/medium lady for the game. maybe more of a necromancer/ghost buster than a ms. cleo type. Mediums and shit like that was real popular in high society during that time period.

i feel great about it

more like summoning spirits/allowing them to enter your body?

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I am kind of getting sick of dystopic fiction though.

Like, it is neat and all but I am just kind of getting sick of people being so pessimistic about the future.

to be fair it's not lookin good

I don't agree with this at all.

I don't think this whole climate change thing is going to work out very well for a lot of people. It won't end humanity by any stretch but it could easily kill a lot of people

I would add that social trends are also a mixed bag. I think we're currently on course for a Shadowrun style future welhere all information and culture is owned, rather than more star trek like where information and culture is universal and free.

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular

Like, it is neat and all but I am just kind of getting sick of people being so pessimistic about the future.

The future wasn't looking good when the black depth obliterated the population of entire cities.

That doesn't happen anymore.

Meanwhile, NASA think in about 5 years or so we'll be basically set technology-wise to deflect potential killer asteroids from Earth.

That's great now what about all those antibiotic-diseases making a comeback? Or the oceans? Or the continued disasters every year as we tear into the earth desperately to get the resources we need to live our flippant lives? Or the continued down slide of the ability of those not rich or in power to not be exploited, spat on, or die for no reason in America?

Or the continued propagation of nuclear arms, renewed tensions in Asia, the droughts in the west...

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    like I feel like it sucks because humanity as a whole is getting better and more awesome as time goes on we might just run out of planet before we hit the point were we're all just consensually handjobbing each other all day

One good plague outbreak and Americans will hide in their homes, like in the movie Contagion.
    Or are we going to run out of resources like oil and food, like in Soylent Green?

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    @vanguard how do you feel about a psychic/medium lady for the game. maybe more of a necromancer/ghost buster than a ms. cleo type. Mediums and shit like that was real popular in high society during that time period.

i feel great about it

maybe i summon them into my body and then shackle them to my will

or i can just control ghosts and shit

I need to do some research, there's probably a badass real life medium i could base her on

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    like I feel like it sucks because humanity as a whole is getting better and more awesome as time goes on we might just run out of planet before we hit the point were we're all just consensually handjobbing each other all day

On the other hand how frustrating will it be if we're saved by a last minute technological breakthrough and the boomers never have to change the way they live

Would that even be preferable to mass famine

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »

I don't think this whole climate change thing is going to work out very well for a lot of people. It won't end humanity by any stretch but it could easily kill a lot of people

I would add that social trends are also a mixed bag. I think we're currently on course for a Shadowrun style future welhere all information and culture is owned, rather than more star trek like where information and culture is universal and free.

I genuinely doubt there is enough manpower to own all information and culture.

People can collect all the data they want but actually doing anything meaningful with it is a lot harder.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    And yeah the corporate feudalism is going to be rough even for us yuppies in just a few years

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    I want it to be Friday. Friday is gonna be fun. The rest of this week is just kinda lame.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    The bee population is collapsing, tigers are on their last legs, you might as well say sayonara to whales, dolphins, and sea turtles.

• Options
    YoshisummonsYoshisummons You have to let the dead vote, otherwise you'd just kill people you disagree with!Registered User regular
    Bah, just because the future is not certain to be better does not mean we should lose perspective. There is no point in time in the past ten thousand years I'd rather live in than now quite frankly and the looming problems that were caused by the solutions to previous problems does not mean it is cause to be saddened, it's just a process that will continue until this great agricultural revolution experiment crashes and burns.

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    fuck it i had a shitty day

my team's director dumped two things she wanted on me that I had never done for her or anyone before and crawled up my ass to tell me to figure it out, get it done, it shouldn't be taking this long, and completely brushing aside all of my attempts to explain why it wasn't as straightforward as she assumed, and being absolutely willing to answer any questions i had in a non-infuriatingly condescending and unhelpful manner

I got on the wrong train at NY Penn station and had to wait in Newark for a half hour for the next train

I decided I wasn't in the mood to run later than I had intended to and decided to lift only to save time, but then i had to wait forever in the gym for this guy to get off the bar and once i finally got on it, my babby lifts were shit

and then I tried to finally do my taxes and uncle sam is lubing up the flagpole

fuq mondays fuq u garfield u dont even kno mondays

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    Kagera wrote: »
    Or the continued propagation of nuclear arms

We are not anywhere near the height of the cold war levels, are we?

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    I think the threats of extinctions to human welfare, even of keystone species, is overrated

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    emnmnme wrote: »

One good plague outbreak and Americans will hide in their homes, like in the movie Contagion.
    Or are we going to run out of resources like oil and food, like in Soylent Green?

I would say from my totally uneducated viewpoint that probably a little bit of both. like the people that depend on food growing every year could be obliterated by a significant climate shift. there might be more, bigger storms that will probably devastate coast populations. Disruptions in the global supply networks, maybe less fresh food from other continents, that sort of thing. but civilization has proven itself to be a pretty resilient thing, and it will survive, but it will probably just suck a lot more for a lot of people.

• Options

I genuinely doubt there is enough manpower to own all information and culture.

People can collect all the data they want but actually doing anything meaningful with it is a lot harder.

The current paradigm is exactly that. Nothing useful is done, but IP law means owners can sue anyone who strays too far into a healthy usage of public domain

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Vanguard wrote: »

i feel great about it

maybe i summon them into my body and then shackle them to my will

or i can just control ghosts and shit

I need to do some research, there's probably a badass real life medium i could base her on

i think the summoning aspect is important so that you don't have to rely on an external input for your character's main power

but it could cut both ways, like you can summon certain spirits for certain powers

and you can use the same skill to control/fight them as you encounter them

definitely do some research tho, i like it

• Options
    evilbob wrote: »
    I want it to be Friday. Friday is gonna be fun. The rest of this week is just kinda lame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfVsfOSbJY0

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Goddamn, the end of How I Met Your Mother was like Dexter bad.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    It would have been interesting to live in early 19th century Germany (as a rich man, of course)

all the weird technological, philosophical, musical, and actual revolutions going underway

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    I would have probably shot Hegel

• Options
    Eddy wrote: »
    It would have been interesting to live in early 19th century Germany (as a rich man, of course)

all the weird technological, philosophical, musical, and actual revolutions going underway

yah

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-21859771

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Throughout history, people have just always felt the collapse of society was around the corner, and the end times would be in their lifetimes, and it hasn't happened yet. There are ups and downs, ebbs and flows, to be certain, but over all the progress has been always up.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    eddy i just found a successful way to mix YG "really be (smokin and drinkin)" into danny brown "smokin and drinkin"

solid day

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    early 20th century northern italy

missing out on all the deep gore of WWI, hating on women and foreigners, and drinking wine

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Goddamn, the end of How I Met Your Mother was like Dexter bad.

I like the new title of the HIMYM thread.

• Options
    antibiotic risk is worth worrying about, I think

besides that, I am not seeing significant threats to even the arc of western prosperity, never mind human extinction-level threats

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod

But we will all get cheap VR goggles! Worth it.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular

I dunno

information is really widely available now

as 3D printing matures, digital --> physical becomes possible

I've heard some futurists talks about democratization of synthetic biology and the possible rise of biohacking/ DIY biology

I linked a movie trailer earlier about two scientists working on immortality in ways that sound plausible

science is cool, cool stuff is happening!

the future is excite

• Options
    ronya wrote: »
    Eddy wrote: »

yah

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-21859771

early 20th century vienna must've been craaaazy

or prague around the same time o.o

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Autodraft if you had a face I would punch it.
    Throughout history, people have just always felt the collapse of society was around the corner, and the end times would be in their lifetimes, and it hasn't happened yet. There are ups and downs, ebbs and flows, to be certain, but over all the progress has been always up.

One day they'll be right though and that's all it takes is one time. Luckily they all be dead because they'd be soooo fucking smug about it.

Kagera on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slOTvMN0i-Y&feature=kp

how do you guys feel about this

it is music

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Kagera wrote: »
    Autodraft if you had a face I would punch it.

One day they'll be right though and that's all it takes is one time. Luckily they all be dead because they'd be soooo fucking smug about it.

I dunno, maybe we will make it to the heat death of the universe. I hope so, at least.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    @‌simonwolf

The one on the right isn't a whiskey or something? I've never had any of them before!

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    ive had balcones before, but not rumble

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    That sure is a 2MB image. Damn. Might wanna link it.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    yeah but no one ever looks at linked images

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    I had a $10 shot of bourbon at a whiskey tasting the other night but I had blacked out already so I don't remember getting to taste it. :(

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    yeah but no one ever looks at linked images

I do! Though the likelihood depends on if it's labeled or not.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
This discussion has been closed.