As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New PAX?

• Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    and pax souf would be in atl or charlotte

Or Dallas.

since when is texas "the south"?

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    DALLAS.

I will make all the cookies if it's in Dallas.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    RadyinRadyin Registered User new member

Or Dallas.

It is in the southern part of the US, but not part of The South. (Although there are some that would disagree with that.)
    spiderz13 wrote: »
    All the clocks seem to be set in the timezone of the PAX location. The clock says 9 (am/pm). The PAX Prime clock says 7 (am/pm) so what could be in those two possible time zones?

Well, if it is UTC-5, it is the central US, central Canada, parts of Central America, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Brazil, the Cayman Islands, and Jamaica.

If it is UTC+5 however, it is Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Azerbaijan, Pakistan, and the Maldives.

I think -5 is more likely.

lE9YRFV.png
    This is a test.
  • Options
    Lest we forget, Texas was part of the Confederacy, so it is technically "The South."

Even so, it's only five hours drive from here, and I have friends that live there. Chicago would be okay too, but Dallas would be damn near ideal.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    nah, texas is part of "the southwest" with arizona, nm, etc. and is big enough to be considered a region of it's own. but is definitely not part of "the south"

• Options
    dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    St. Louis or Kansas City would be uh-mazing, but I won't kid myself.

dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    luposlupos Registered User regular
    While I think southern US is most likely a South/Central american (brazil? PAX CANCUN!!) would be kind of awesome.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]ALTEIL.com GM | XBL: lupos | My ALTEIL GM Blog
  • Options
    I'd make an absolute SCENE if it was KC, but I figure Dallas is probably the more reasonable guess.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    Good guess would be CHicago.

*crossing fingers* It would be the cheapest PAX we would have ever gone to!

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Radyin wrote: »

Or Dallas.

It is in the southern part of the US, but not part of The South. (Although there are some that would disagree with that.)
    All the clocks seem to be set in the timezone of the PAX location. The clock says 9 (am/pm). The PAX Prime clock says 7 (am/pm) so what could be in those two possible time zones?

Well, if it is UTC-5, it is the central US, central Canada, parts of Central America, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Brazil, the Cayman Islands, and Jamaica.

If it is UTC+5 however, it is Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Azerbaijan, Pakistan, and the Maldives.

I think -5 is more likely.

Brazil is a big market for games...

• Options
    KwaizyKwaizy PAX AUS Enforcer Manager CanberraRegistered User regular
    The countdown clock isn't up yet, what makes you think the analogue clock has been set to the correct time yet?

I do love how Americentric most people are being. Wouldn't a PAX in Europe or more specifically the UK make more sense than a 3rd US PAX?

Say it with flowers, Send a Triffid.
    Sanity is a slippery slope, and I'm wearing Teflon shoes.
  • Options
    There is no place in South America that is UTC-6.

PAX Easter Island, maybe. :P

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    CoanCoan TorontoRegistered User regular
    I'm betting on PAX Winnipeg myself

Posting on the phorum again like its 1999
  • Options
    Kwaizy wrote: »
    The countdown clock isn't up yet, what makes you think the analogue clock has been set to the correct time yet?

I do love how Americentric most people are being. Wouldn't a PAX in Europe or more specifically the UK make more sense than a 3rd US PAX?

But it has been set to a time, and that time is almost certainly UTC-6, so the available evidence points to that.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    msuroomsuroo Registered User regular

Because the minute hand is lined up with the rest...if they just threw a clock up there without bothering to set it, chances of that are pretty slim. The Americacentric thinking is based on that inference. If that clock read 10 past 3, nobody would be naming Dallas or Chicago as likely destinations.

• Options
    pelicanflippelicanflip Registered User regular

Midwest for 9 AM, or on the other side of the Earth for 9 PM. Midwest is a safe bet.

Cities of notice: Houston/Dallas/Austin, Chicago, etc. Factors are a large enough convention center, enough hotels/accommodations nearby, and probably a decent airport for people to get to.

• Options
    TemigTemig East [E] North Shore - MARegistered User regular

The clock itself is set about as accurately to the minute as the others. Had the time been skewed a bit I would have been inclined to agree, but the odds that the clock was mounted with a time that reflects UTC-5/+5 so well aren't all that great.

JQ1qRPt.png
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    It's probably safe to assume they will announce this at PAX East. Hasn't that been the pattern before? I'd be happy to be wrong though.

• Options
    Point of Information: It's UTC-6 when on Standard time, UTC-5 on Daylight Savings.

Either way, it's likely US/Canada Central.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    RidleyDragonRidleyDragon Registered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    It's probably safe to assume they will announce this at PAX East. Hasn't that been the pattern before? I'd be happy to be wrong though.

They wouldn't have hinted at this until next week in this case.

PW0oFIs.png
  • Options
    TemigTemig East [E] North Shore - MARegistered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »

They wouldn't have hinted at this until next week in this case.

What? You don't think Khoo is evil enough to make the masses clamor and keep guessing while he watches and laughs manically behind his monitor for an entire week? Hah!

JQ1qRPt.png
  • Options
    tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    msuroo wrote: »

Because the minute hand is lined up with the rest...if they just threw a clock up there without bothering to set it, chances of that are pretty slim. The Americacentric thinking is based on that inference. If that clock read 10 past 3, nobody would be naming Dallas or Chicago as likely destinations.

Indeed, the chances would be 1 in 60! (there abouts, actually probably more like 1 in 20, since 1 minute on either side would be barely noticeable.)

Unlikely. And given they hype they've got around this, unlikely they wouldn't noticed that. (The chances that the minute hand lines up and the hour hand is a recognizable time and not somewhere in an ocean) is quite small.

PAX STL or PAX KC would be totally awesome, I could certainly go to a former, and probably go to a latter.
    PAX CHI would surprise me, just because Chicago is already a huge venue for lots of stuff and it seems to me it'd be hard to get a date there without being prohibitively expensive, Dallas or even Minneapolis seem like you'd have more luck.

One can hope I suppose, even if it is unlikely.
    (For my personal wants, which I realize mean nothing at all but we can all dream, once you get much farther out than KC and/CHI, travel there, travel Seattle, meh same difference, and same likelihood of me being able to attend.)

EDIT: fixed a typo

tsrblke on
  • Options
    ShaydeShayde Kitchen Staff Supervisor MargaritavilleRegistered User regular
    Well, if the time is the correct zone, I'm hoping for Nawlins.

Shayde

Ex-Agent to the Stars, ex a lot of other things too.
    Pax East 2011, 2012 Veteran. 2014 now loading.
  • Options
    CoanCoan TorontoRegistered User regular
    Anyway, when it comes down to it, its not likely they'll go into any venue smaller than the BCEC since they already have growing pains with seattle for that reason.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_convention_centers_in_the_United_States#By_insular_area

Continue speculation!

IL still has a lot of space, as does TX and LA, though really, you'd hope that we'd only have IL since a summer con is most likely and they're likely to consider that.

Posting on the phorum again like its 1999
  • Options
    ancienteternityancienteternity Registered User regular
    dmautz wrote: »
    PAX New Orleans would be a ton of fun.

NOLA does have the sixth largest convention center in the nation. And the food... OH GOD THE FOOD!

...I miss living down there.

3HbAeAg.png

I'm ready for the next PAX already!
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Re: whether the clock is set to the actual time that the 4th PAX will be at, I'd just like to point out that Khoo *loves* to fuck with people in that manner.

I would imagine that it is just as likely that it is not the actual time as it is set to. I could easily believe that PAX Chicago or St. Louis or Austin is happening but it could just as easily not be.

Either a Central US PAX or a PAX London makes sense. I'd argue that London (or any euro location really) makes more sense, but It is still relatively hard for a small-ish company to pack up and fly halfway around the world twice a year (Australia and Europe) than it is to fly a couple hours to Austin.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    KeroanKeroan Chicago, IllinoisRegistered User regular
    I don't remember which PA TV episode I saw this in, but both Mike and Jerry have said at one point or another that they originally created PAX because the US lacked a consumer based video game only expo. Europe already has a good number of successful expos of that kind so I highly doubt that it would be in Europe because of that.

I think the best bet is either Chicago or Texas-y area. Since both Prime and East are up north, I would lean towards Texas being the likely bet, but I would love a Chicago one. Chicago is such a nice area ;)

• Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    I'm going to make a crazy call here.

It's going to be PAX Austin or PAX Dallas.

It's going to take place at the same time as PAX prime.

Khoo once said that the problem with prime is, it's got a finite size. They literally cannot make it any bigger and the crowding ONLY gets worse. The only solution to increasing Supply was to extend the timeframe of Prime.

This would actually handle a LOT of the issues with prime. There's my bold prediction.

Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    WuShock wrote: »
    There is no place in South America that is UTC-6.

PAX Easter Island, maybe. :P

Stupid poor geography skills. I always forget how offset south america is. It's like straight up and down in my head. Related I thought for a minute Indianapolis would be a good choice since it hosts GenCon so well but that's easter time. -_-

• Options
    FacadeFacade Registered User regular
    I'm a Texas native, so I know what I'm crossing my fingers for.

By the way, a lot of people here tend to think: There's the South, and then there's Texas. Then again, some people here tend to also think: There's the rest of the United States, and then there's Texas.

We're modest folk.

• Options
    Keroan wrote: »
    I don't remember which PA TV episode I saw this in, but both Mike and Jerry have said at one point or another that they originally created PAX because the US lacked a consumer based video game only expo. Europe already has a good number of successful expos of that kind so I highly doubt that it would be in Europe because of that.

I think the best bet is either Chicago or Texas-y area. Since both Prime and East are up north, I would lean towards Texas being the likely bet, but I would love a Chicago one. Chicago is such a nice area ;)
    While I feel bad for the southerners I think Chicago is more like than Dallas. At least in my opinion it's a better choice as the population density around there is much higher (Indy, St. Lois, Detroit Minn).

• Options
    altmann wrote: »

Khoo once said that the problem with prime is, it's got a finite size. They literally cannot make it any bigger and the crowding ONLY gets worse. The only solution to increasing Supply was to extend the timeframe of Prime.

This would actually handle a LOT of the issues with prime. There's my bold prediction.

Eh, agree in part disagree in part.

I think it's either Dallas or Chicago (being that Chicago has the nation's largest convention center, which would mean more people could attend.)

I doubt they'd run it at the same time because a) they'd be a logistics nightmare in general and b) exhibitors would have to choose, and so you'd probably end up with a "PAX" and a "Poor second place."

• Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    Well like I said, it's a bold prediction but I think PA could handle another pax. They've been hiring for it and while it would dilute it, it's so insane at Prime that it's approaching unfun levels of stress. As it is, I already have to book my hotel/flight everything literally 2 months before tickets even go on sale for Prime and just HOPE I get some.

Either way, it's exciting!

Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    El OsoEl Oso Registered User regular
    tsrblke wrote: »

I think it's either Dallas or Chicago (being that Chicago has the nation's largest convention center, which would mean more people could attend.)

I doubt they'd run it at the same time because a) they'd be a logistics nightmare in general and b) exhibitors would have to choose, and so you'd probably end up with a "PAX" and a "Poor second place."

I hope its neither Chicago (I don't want to get shot) or Dallas (the most bland, homogeneous city in Texas - walk around the malls, its forever before you see another person of color). PAX Austin would be neat. Austin has several gaming companies based there to boot. Plus Austin has Gourdough's Doughnuts

• Options
    El Oso wrote: »
    tsrblke wrote: »

I hope its neither Chicago (I don't want to get shot) or Dallas (the most bland, homogeneous city in Texas - walk around the malls, its forever before you see another person of color). PAX Austin would be neat. Austin has several gaming companies based there to boot. Plus Austin has Gourdough's Doughnuts

I only ruled out Austin because there arguably is some (distant?) overlap between SxSW and PAX in terms of target audience. And they have expressed in the past a desire to go to new places that have been unserved or underserved by conventions.

• Options
    HollenheimHollenheim Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Facade wrote: »
    I'm a Texas native, so I know what I'm crossing my fingers for.

By the way, a lot of people here tend to think: There's the South, and then there's Texas. Then again, some people here tend to also think: There's the rest of the United States, and then there's Texas.

We're modest folk.

Hehe, and us Alaskans sometimes like to visit your cute little state :)

Personally I'd be flying no matter where it is, and they've proven that they can pull off the PAX vibe wherever, so all options would be interesting to see! But PAXanada could be interesting.

Hollenheim on
  • Options
    zealezeale Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    As a Missouri resident moving to St. Louis in a couple months, I would go nuts if this happened to land in STL! Kansas City or Chicago would be an easy drive too, but really anywhere in the central time zone would be a doable road trip or a cheap flight. I can't wait to buy tickets to this!

dgiab0m7h15x.png

• Options
    DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    My money is on PAX London, though I wouldn't cry about a PAX Miami :) Miami's advantage: they could hold it in the winter.

Dreamwriter on
  • Options
    orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
    The lack of love for San Antonio as an option is depressing, especially since it is close enough to effectively service the Austin gaming companies.

PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
  • Options
    zeromystzeromyst wat Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    I wouldn't cry about a PAX Miami :) Miami's advantage: they could hold it in the winter.
    oh man. PAX Miami would be great (I live there) but I'm pretty sure it would never happen. :(
    I'd bet on a PAX Orlando before that though. They have a *huge* convention center up there. Second largest in the US I believe. *shrug*

zeromyst on
    CRANK UP THE C. CRANK UP THE D.
This discussion has been closed.