As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stephen Colbert's "The Late show" starting September 8th

• Options
    PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular
    Colbert's late night show has lost me because it is not what I want particularly with Colbert. Which is fine and even may be more of what Colbert wants but I do miss the hard hitting satire.

psn: PhasenWeeple
  • Options
    PhantosPhantos Pizza Wizard So Cal, So CoolRegistered User regular
    I feel the exact same way but it's like 90% shining through and I am happy enough he's back and seems to be uncharacteristically bombastic even for his most outrageous persona. That's a kind of love that late night tv needs, even if I don't need it.

• Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    If you want to see actual softball, watch last night's Fiorina interview on Fallon (I wouldn't actually recommend watching it).
    At one point, he asks her about the pope's upcoming visit, and she does a spiel on how important it is to help the poor and disadvantaged. No points for guessing that she wasn't asked a follow-up on that, and that it wasn't pointed out that those things are the opposite of her platform.

Jimmy seems like a nice guy, and he can be pretty entertaining, but having politicians on his show just feels so pointless and blatantly self serving. Basically, regardless of party, it's ten to fifteen minutes of "You seem really nice! How great is America? Do you have a family? Well, thanks for the ratings".
    Colbert may not be at quite the same level of criticality that he was on the Report, but for a late night talk show, he's doing alright. Now, that said, that bar can be cleared by asking basically any question tougher than "How great do you think you'd be as president?".

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I dunno
    “Let me ask about Reagan for a second,” Colbert began before getting serious and noting the severe ideological divide between Ronald Reagan and today’s Republican Party. “Reagan raised taxes, okay. Reagan actually had an amnesty program for illegal immigrants. Neither of those things would allow Reagan to be nominated today. So to what level can you truly emulate Ronald Reagan?” Colbert asked Cruz, noting that Reagan worked with former Democratic Speaker of the House, Tip O’Neill.

That's a pretty tough statement, regardless of what time it was asked. Hell, I'd love to see someone on the 24 hour media ask a Republican a question like that.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    I'd have to watch the response and then Stevens follow up. Ill watch it once I get home.

• Options
    EvigilantEvigilant VARegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKxXtOyMmYc

I think this is pretty great that Colbert stuck to his guns and made sure Cruz answered, that no, he couldn't be like the actual Reagan. Maybe the fake Reagan, but not the actual one. But Colbert's response to the boo'ing is why I think this entire change is important to not just late night discourse, but discourse in general.
    "boooooo"
    "no no no, guys, guys. However you feel, he's my guest so please don't boo him."

That's class.

XBL\PSN\Steam\Origin: Evigilant
  • Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    I dunno
    “Let me ask about Reagan for a second,” Colbert began before getting serious and noting the severe ideological divide between Ronald Reagan and today’s Republican Party. “Reagan raised taxes, okay. Reagan actually had an amnesty program for illegal immigrants. Neither of those things would allow Reagan to be nominated today. So to what level can you truly emulate Ronald Reagan?” Colbert asked Cruz, noting that Reagan worked with former Democratic Speaker of the House, Tip O’Neill.

That's a pretty tough statement, regardless of what time it was asked. Hell, I'd love to see someone on the 24 hour media ask a Republican a question like that.

Watched it and the interviews are something to keep an eye out for, for sure. I wish there were better platforms to watch his show on as well. The youtube clip wasnt complete. Where are people watching his show at in its entirety? I had the trial of CBS stuff but what is a more permanent solution?

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    That Cruz interview has pushed me to record Colbert in the future. I've always loved Colbert, but never been a Late Night kind of tv watcher. So when he did his late night show, I hoped he would do well but figured I wouldn't ever see it. That interview is beyond "well", imo. I don't agree with what Cruz said, but I LOVE that Colbert is allowing an open dialogue and discussion and not letting his audience boo someone just because they aren't on the same "team". He pinned Cruz to answer some tough questions AND when Cruz started to explain himself he allowed him to talk. Cruz had reasons and purpose behind his statements and it was interesting to hear. I still don't agree. But now I understand.

The US needs so much more of that from both sides. I'm happy that Colbert is willing to do this kind of thing. Actual political programming needs to take note.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Late Night is not a comedy show, it's a talk show / variety show, which is why it's not the cup of tea of many of the old guard. And as a talk show, it's legitimate. Colbert is no longer just the fly on the meat of the media: he is the media. He has real responsibility now, and people will look to him to gauge the standard of behavior.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    That Cruz interview has pushed me to record Colbert in the future. I've always loved Colbert, but never been a Late Night kind of tv watcher. So when he did his late night show, I hoped he would do well but figured I wouldn't ever see it. That interview is beyond "well", imo. I don't agree with what Cruz said, but I LOVE that Colbert is allowing an open dialogue and discussion and not letting his audience boo someone just because they aren't on the same "team". He pinned Cruz to answer some tough questions AND when Cruz started to explain himself he allowed him to talk. Cruz had reasons and purpose behind his statements and it was interesting to hear. I still don't agree. But now I understand.

The US needs so much more of that from both sides. I'm happy that Colbert is willing to do this kind of thing. Actual political programming needs to take note.

What's sad is that Fallon had Fiorina on and he was the complete opposite of Colbert here. And yet Fallon probably does better ratings because like Leno before him, people don't want Late Night to have bite they want to turn their brain off and laugh at people singing silly songs.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Preacher wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »

What's sad is that Fallon had Fiorina on and he was the complete opposite of Colbert here. And yet Fallon probably does better ratings because like Leno before him, people don't want Late Night to have bite they want to turn their brain off and laugh at people singing silly songs.

Honestly? Late Night shouldn't need to have bite. It should be the end of the day silly fluff stuff.

But since it doesn't exist anywhere else, someone has to light the torch. I think Colbert and Stewart saw that and they seem to be the true vanguards of this in the media. They started off with comedy and have leveraged that to actual real meaningful contributions to political discussion. Hopefully, hopefully, hopefully this catches on with the discourse starved American public and it translates into ratings. Because then and only then will the programs that are supposed to have bite and reasoned, respectful discourse think about changing their current echo chamber-y, pandering ways.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    CreamstoutCreamstout What you think I program for, to push a fuckin' quad-core? Registered User regular
    Phasen wrote: »
    Watched it and the interviews are something to keep an eye out for, for sure. I wish there were better platforms to watch his show on as well. The youtube clip wasnt complete. Where are people watching his show at in its entirety? I had the trial of CBS stuff but what is a more permanent solution?

Full shows are here. If you run adblock you will have to turn it off to view the videos.

• Options
    Creamstout wrote: »
    Phasen wrote: »

Full shows are here. If you run adblock you will have to turn it off to view the videos.

Oh yeesh thats embarrassing. I thought only CBS All Access had them.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    I have to admit I love the Hungry For Power Games. You just know he started planning that from the moment he got the ceiling projector. Or even got the ceiling projector primarily for it.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Colbert must be celebrating Halloween early because he had a pumpkin as his guest tonight.

Trump must have been on Valium or something. He was surprisingly calm and restrained.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    I have to admit I love the Hungry For Power Games. You just know he started planning that from the moment he got the ceiling projector. Or even got the ceiling projector primarily for it.

Oh man did he do that again last night? Sweet! My wife and I were just talking about how perfect he was aping Tucci's Cesar Fleckman and hoping he would keep doing the bit before she left for work last night.

• Options
    Vyolynce wrote: »

Oh man did he do that again last night? Sweet! My wife and I were just talking about how perfect he was aping Tucci's Cesar Fleckman and hoping he would keep doing the bit before she left for work last night.

He seems determined to keep the bit up until there is only one candidate left for the Republicans, and maybe for each party.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Man, last night was a great show. 2 interesting and important guests, another hunger games bit, and a pretty dope musical guest. Pretty much everything you could ask for.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8ed_BVDgwI

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    Hungry for power games is really funny and just a brilliant idea. I really enjoyed Pearl Jam last night, makes me wish I went to more rock shows.

• Options
    Fallout2manFallout2man Vault Dweller Registered User regular
    Wow! Thanks for posting that, that was really good. I see some of the old Colbert shining through. There may be hope yet left for this show.

On Ignorance:
    Kana wrote:
    If the best you can come up with against someone who's patently ignorant is to yell back at him, "Yeah? Well there's BOOKS, and they say you're WRONG!"

Then honestly you're not coming out of this looking great either.
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    "I came up with a little drinking game. I turned on the debate, and I drank." :lol:

sig.gif
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Man now I really hope Stanley Tucci is booked on the show to promote Mockingjay part 2.

• Options
    CreamstoutCreamstout What you think I program for, to push a fuckin' quad-core? Registered User regular
    I really enjoyed the Catholic Panel last night, Andrew Sullivan is always insightful and entertaining. Next week Stephen will have a few people from the gaming industry on the show:

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    It's really nice that they're putting clips of the show up on youtube. Instead of posting a whole bunch I'll just recommend that you subscribe to the channel. Also, if you missed Malala's magic trick, you oughta go watch it.

I still can't believe that this is real, I feel like Stephen's just filling in for a couple of weeks for David Letterman and then everything will go back to normal.

• Options
    scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
    I really like the show apart from the monologue which is really short.

Stephen is just too darn likeable.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    I like the monologue specifically because it's short since Stephen's not that good at monologue jokes. Also tonight's Late Late Show was pretty bananas, taking place in a random person's house.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    PewDiePie, ugh.

• Options
    Opty wrote: »
    I like the monologue specifically because it's short since Stephen's not that good at monologue jokes. Also tonight's Late Late Show was pretty bananas, taking place in a random person's house.

That was from way back in March, actually, but yeah, that was weird and neat when I saw it.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    It's really nice that they're putting clips of the show up on youtube. Instead of posting a whole bunch I'll just recommend that you subscribe to the channel. Also, if you missed Malala's magic trick, you oughta go watch it.

I still can't believe that this is real, I feel like Stephen's just filling in for a couple of weeks for David Letterman and then everything will go back to normal.

Did she make a pencil disappear?

• Options
    mare_imbriummare_imbrium Registered User regular
    So I'm behind on this, and the one I happened to watch last night was...Monday's? I think? When he went and took the Meyers-Briggs? Anyway, when he interviewed that woman...that could have been a bit lifted straight from the Report. I can't figure out if he just doesn't know how to do those bits as himself, or every time he went and interviewed a congressperson, etc, and asked all those silly questions, he was already just being himself.

v2zAToe.jpg
    Wii: 4521 1146 5179 1333 Pearl: 3394 4642 8367 HG: 1849 3913 3132
  • Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    So I'm behind on this, and the one I happened to watch last night was...Monday's? I think? When he went and took the Meyers-Briggs? Anyway, when he interviewed that woman...that could have been a bit lifted straight from the Report. I can't figure out if he just doesn't know how to do those bits as himself, or every time he went and interviewed a congressperson, etc, and asked all those silly questions, he was already just being himself.

That bit started with him talking about how he has never been himself on TV and that nobody knows what to expect from him being himself, so maybe that was part of the joke? He also didn't come off as arrogant and rude as he did on his old show.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM21uQR6G_Q
    Stare into the abyss.
    Nah, it's all good. Although if you want to actually hear some examples of swedish cursing you'll need to watch pewdiepie's video on the subject, because the censors bleeped it out.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRC-UlucmRU

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Every time I've seen videos of PewDiePie outside of his "Let's Play" antics, he seems like a likeable guy. Granted, I don't seek out his stuff at all after my first encounters with it years ago; I've heard he's toned down some of his stuff.

• Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    It's disappointing that PewDiePie is basically the face of Let's Play videos for mainstream audiences. Even if the more objectionable elements are gone now, it just seems like a really low quality offering, and a bad overall example of what the format can be. There are so many people doing much more interesting things with it.

That said, I don't blame the guy himself, and I don't really have anything against him personally. It's the audience who makes a content creator popular and successful. If I was making stupid videos on the internet, and somehow fell ass backwards into that level of success, I'd roll with it too.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    It's disappointing that PewDiePie is basically the face of Let's Play videos for mainstream audiences. Even if the more objectionable elements are gone now, it just seems like a really low quality offering, and a bad overall example of what the format can be. There are so many people doing much more interesting things with it.

That said, I don't blame the guy himself, and I don't really have anything against him personally. It's the audience who makes a content creator popular and successful. If I was making stupid videos on the internet, and somehow fell ass backwards into that level of success, I'd roll with it too.

My teenager and her friends are fanatic fans of his. His voice drives me up a wall but how can you not be impressed with the amount of self made success he has had? Good on him for capitalizing on a gimmick that worked.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    skeldare wrote: »

he does one show a week and he's going on vaccation for all of November?! GRRRR!!!!

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    The best part of that interview was Colbert's "I want to hear you say it!"