As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

If it's blue, it must be MEGA MAN(-esque)!

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Yeah...I'm buying it but all this push. I dunno, let the game organically get its fanbase.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    To be fair, they're trying to combat a huge wave of meh that has descended over the game.

Though to be more fair, most of that meh was self-inflicted.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    "So what are you waiting for?"
    "... the release date?"

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    "You see this game right here?"
    "..."
    "This is Mighty No. 9."
    "...No shit?"

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Hmm. I'm not a fan of the presentation. The characters are all annoying, the repeated (and often clipped) shouts from Beck, the frankly unfinished looking character models, the Saturday Morning Cartoon voicework, the generic UI... what happened here? It's like they only looked at 7 and 8 for inspiration. Even the gameplay looks like they took all the less interesting bits from MMX.

The best I can say is that No. 3's boss fight looked interesting.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    The mounds of content makes it look like an interesting game.

But like I said before, it still does not look to be the new Megaman game I think many had thought, and hoped, it would be. It just looks like a decent game.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    fucking lol
    To the fans eagerly awaiting the release of Mighty No. 9,

Unfortunately, we have an announcement that will be very disappointing to all of you. In preparation for the February release of Mighty No. 9 we have been working hard with our partners to resolve any network issues and porting work necessary to publish Mighty No. 9 on the various platforms. However, the issues relating to the network modes were more critical than expected, and it has become apparent that we will need to delay the game from its February 9th release date. We have been working up until the very last moment to resolve these issues in order to make the February release, but it has become clear that we no longer have enough time to fix the issues and have everything prepared for release.

The reason for the delay is rooted in bugs inside the network modes, and specifically problems with matchmaking. There are two large reasons for this problem, one of them being the large number of platforms supported (the solution for each platform is slightly different) and the other stems from the fact that the engine we are using is no longer being updated which means adjustments for matchmaking and online code are being made manually (actually reprogramming parts of the engine by the dev team themselves). Unfortunately, this is all a result of miscalculations on the part of us, the development staff. As a result, our fans who have been looking forward to Mighty No. 9 have been forced to wait for over half a year longer than expected, and for that we are sincerely sorry. I want to take this chance to apologize personally, and on the behalf of the development staff.

Over the end of the year break and the beginning of 2016, the development staff has been working on these issues non-stop without break, and thanks to their hard work the end is in sight. We continue to make progress to resolve these last issues that have been holding up the release of the game on the different platforms.

Because we are constantly working on it in cooperation with all our partners, we want to wait and make sure that everything is confirmed to be ready before giving a new specific release date. But we expect it to realistically be in Spring 2016.

For this 3rd delay of the game, we have no excuses for disappointing our fans and especially our backers once more. We want to take this chance to express our sincerest apologies to everyone who has looked forward to the release.

Although we are far past our original release date, the release of Mighty No. 9 is still right around the corner. We are all working hard to make sure that we can finish and release the game to all of our fans as quickly as possible, and ask once more for your support of this project that we have created together over these last few years.

Keiji Inafune

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I have the biggest smile right now. This is amazing.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I mean, I didn't back it and I wasn't very interested in it anyway, but this endless trainwreck of a development cycle has brought me nothing but endless joy.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Hahahahahahahahahahaha holy shit

That game is never coming out

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    GashikGashik Office Communist Registered User regular
    My eyes rolled completely out of my head when I read that email this morning.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    If it's still the online shit that's dragging the game down, then slice it out like the diseased bone it is. Put it back in later on, or just write it off.

What even is the online shit for this game? Does anybody even care? Will anybody be playing the damn thing after a month?

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    I heard multiplayer. Which is...why?

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'd rather they just cut the damn online shit, and just release the game. This is getting ridiculous.

I mean, MATCHMAKING? Why the hell do you need that?

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I am sure the mounds of programming time they are putting into fixing this network code could have been used to turn the networking part of the game into an addon later.

The fact this never even became an option (like, they didn't even ASK backers if they would be ok with it right?) makes it seem like something else is wrong?

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I feel so bad for them and Inafune specifically.

Dicked over by Capcom, left, but then had this massive fan support and hope for a new series.

And it's just been one disaster after another. It's awful.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I'm disappointed but I also didn't even realize the game was supposed to come out in two weeks. I agree with what's been said above... Remove the multiplayer aspect and put it in later.

• Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    This is one of the greatest jokes ever. I don't care if I've lost my money as a backer, this train wreck has provided more entertainment than the game ever could.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Personally I cut them some slack. I mean they are a first time studio making their first game and they seem committed to putting it out finished and functional. Double Fine abandoned Space Base and Broken Age was pushed out unfinished. And Double Fine was an established studio.
    Also the John Ramero Doom postmortem really made me cut kickstarter games some slack, considering how lots of games have been able to evolve during dev, but kickstarter games are pretty much locked into a pre-promised product.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Personally I cut them some slack. I mean they are a first time studio making their first game and they seem committed to putting it out finished and functional. Double Fine abandoned Space Base and Broken Age was pushed out unfinished. And Double Fine was an established studio.
    Also the John Ramero Doom postmortem really made me cut kickstarter games some slack, considering how lots of games have been able to evolve during dev, but kickstarter games are pretty much locked into a pre-promised product.

I think more than enough slack has been cut for them over the course of this development cycle and now they're busy trying to hang themselves with it.

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited January 2016

I think a large part of it is the very nature of how kickstarter works and how it's at odds with how game development tends to go. They basically have to give a "release" date before they even get funding, and then when they inevitably miss that date the community tends to immediately turn on them and it becomes damage control from there on out.

I've gotten to the point where if I back a game on Kickstarter I just wait until it eventually comes out (I've only every backed one that didn't deliver as I tend to back them based on the people making the game more so than the game concept). I've yet to back one that delivered anywhere near on time, and every one has been wrought with delays and setbacks that are typical of the process but historically kept from the playerbase.

I'm usually in favor of transparent development as I have a keen interest in game design but these days with more studios being more transparent I'm seeing more and more that for all the benefits involved there are some major drawbacks as well.

Makes you realize why some studios play things so close to the chest. much easier to deal with "Why don't they ever tell us anything" than chasing every little thing and trying to explain it away when you do pull the curtains away.

As for MN9 in particular, the Multiplayer aspect is one of the main reasons I backed it, and it's one of the only reasons a friend of mine backed it because we were planning on playing through the Co-op together. So while I would love to play the single player, I would much rather they release it with the multiplayer as that is the part I'm most looking forward to.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

Keiji Inafune's about to make you his bitch.

Suck it down.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    I just don't understand why people seem to be giddy and happy to see them fail. Like, why does that bring you joy?

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    I just don't understand why people seem to be giddy and happy to see them fail. Like, why does that bring you joy?

Because this is a clown show.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    :tell_me_more:

I'm honestly a fan of delays. Better the game comes out late and complete than it comes out broken. But. They've done this what, 3 or 4 times now? That's no longer OK. It's unprofessional, shows they have a poor grasp on their own development needs.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular

People love a train wreck, people hate kickstarter, people want to feel like they are validated in some fashion for not liking the game, people feel like they lost money they invested, choose your poison.

In this case however it's not even a failure, it's another delay. Failure would be if they stopped development and decided not to release the game, or if the game that does release is just a horrible game.

Thus far neither of those scenarios seem to be likely (although obviously the latter is entirely subjective). Mostly though I think people just want to play the game, and are irritated that they can't yet.

Or you have the odd person who doesn't like the game, didn't back it, and just likes shitting on things when the opportunity presents itself. Those folk tend to creep out of the woodwork when things like this happen as well, but scatter like roaches once a game does release.

Or it might just be your run of the mill Schadenfreude.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options

At least with Broken Age Double Fine had the good sense to actually release half the game when it became apparent it would take much longer.

I mean, I really don't think anyone would be pissed, or even too full of schadenfreude, if they just delayed the multiplayer part.

• Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    They've also squandered an incredible amount of good will and charity shown by the fans through poor decision making, poor communication, lack of vision, and at this point I think it's more than fair to say they're unprofessional.

Is it really that surprising to see people just laugh at how absurd this all is now? This is what the third or fourth delay? How long was it until they planned to release it? 2 weeks? A month from now, and we just find out today...

What else can you do but laugh at it? Patience has run out for most everybody and they deserve every bit of criticism and ridicule they receive.

Grove on
    Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    I've heard that console games CAN'T release without online and then patch it in later? If it's true, it must be a new rule because Scott Pilgrim did just that.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    They are not a first time studio. Might Number 9 is Comcept's 5th game.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    I've heard that console games CAN'T release without online and then patch it in later? If it's true, it must be a new rule because Scott Pilgrim did just that.

It's possible XBLA games have different rules. I know I have heard at least Microsoft's certification process is stupid about things like that, so I can actually believe they'd have a rule like that.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options

It's possible XBLA games have different rules. I know I have heard at least Microsoft's certification process is stupid about things like that, so I can actually believe they'd have a rule like that.

Yeah, the lingering pissiness is why Shovel Knight isn't getting a physical Xbox One release. It really could be Inafune's hands are tied on this one.

• Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    Wasn't Comcept something like an idea factory rather than a developer? That's what I was told.

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Yeah, the lingering pissiness is why Shovel Knight isn't getting a physical Xbox One release. It really could be Inafune's hands are tied on this one.

How I would handle the situation:

-All backers get the PC version of the game for free, regardless of which platforms you picked (you can then re-pick if you picked PC as one)
    -PC version is released without multiplayer, to be patched in later.
    -Console versions released whenever, who the hell cares (if possible, only hold up the ones you really need to)

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I will say that giving an estimated release date at the start of a project is rough. As a developer, I have a hard time telling my employers how long it'll take me to implement a simple feature because you don't know if anything will go wrong or if things that seem easy end up taking you hours upon hours to fix.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    It's the easiest thing in the world to say here, but maaaaaybe promising simultaneous releases on all platforms was a little much.

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    At this point I'd put the release date somewhere between "Taylor Swift getting back together with that dude in the song" and "Half Life 3"

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

For the same reason I laugh when I see children cry, or enjoy seeing people fall down or get hit in the nuts, or slapped in the face. Because I'm an asshole

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    My sense of schadenfreude must be broken

Because I feel bad for 'em

What a tumultuous cycle this has been

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    My sense of schadenfreude must be broken

Because I feel bad for 'em

What a tumultuous cycle this has been

I think the previous "this is the last delay!" was a mistake. Cause now there's another delay and they look like goobers. Otherwise, yeah I feel bad for em too.

Oh brilliant