As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fargo TV thread] Season 3 I can Help

• Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    For those that are interested, Mondo is selling a Fargo poster tomorrow
    acb40863aab80accad0936d6_533x711.jpg

Know some ran into some frustration when they did TD. I'd advise setting up mobile notifications to their twitter if you really want this. Also to have an account created and CC ready to go (basically copied).

Sure those who are use to dealing with mondo are aware of this, but for those who are new it might help to know: you have to go through checkout as fast as possible, having it in your cart isn't enough. A bit hard to determine how fast this will go, it's going up with another poster. So I would guess at least 5 minutes.

e:random time basically= between 10 am cdt and 1pm cdt. usually it's between 10 am and 11 am cdt.

Egos on
  • Options
    Last episode really did a good job of making me think that
    Malvo would kill Molly's dad, esp with Molly taking so long to get into the diner. I assumed it would be after he realized Malvo was the same monster he encountered in 1979 (I'm assuming he is).

Regardless, the dad was definitely feeling him out.

On another note, I'm a bit disappointed that Bill didn't have any real logic behind his decisions at all. That is I didn't feel like teh show tried to justify what he did, even if it was a mistake, on any level. It was just : he's an idiot. Well you can still be an idiot and have reasons.

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Bill is typical small town law enforcement. Places like that, you don't join the police because you're a critical thinker. You join because it's an available job and you get to feel like you're protecting your little community. And when you go a couple decades without violent crime, you don't have the skills to deal with it when it comes. He's the kind of guy who couldn't imagine his high school buddy who got picked on being party to a violent crime.

He's wildly incompetent, but not at all unbelievable. Somebody like Molly is the exception to the small town local police rule, not Bill.

• Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    Tonight is going to be aces.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    Bill is typical small town law enforcement. Places like that, you don't join the police because you're a critical thinker. You join because it's an available job and you get to feel like you're protecting your little community. And when you go a couple decades without violent crime, you don't have the skills to deal with it when it comes. He's the kind of guy who couldn't imagine his high school buddy who got picked on being party to a violent crime.

He's wildly incompetent, but not at all unbelievable. Somebody like Molly is the exception to the small town local police rule, not Bill.

Yeah I worded things poorly. You can see the logic if you watch the show, but when it comes to the two FBI saying "This is good work that Molly did. Why the fuck didn't you listen to her?" he is just left there jaw agape. It was more that the show didn't even allow him to express his reasoning, even if it was completely off.

That was more my issue and I understand some people cave when faced with higher authority figures . But I would have liked to have seen them point out why he was mistaken and then have him realize instead of just immediately caving.

e:I suppose you could argue it would have been redundant, since we've seen the back and forth like 3 times with Molly...

Egos on
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    Hmmm... Not sure how I feel about this finale

Lots of drama, some great dialogue
    But I felt like solverson kept her hands clean in a case she owned early on.

I guess you don't want a pregnant woman brawling, but still...

Ah well, hell of a series. Interested to see if they pick it back up. I'd love to see more of this world, but where do you go after this?

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    Molly's dad is awesome. Just had to say it. Not all the way through the ep, so no full impressions of the finale just yet.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    also, no wood chipper!

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    And just like that,
    agents Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are dead. What a waste.

OMFG, that leg. I'm gonna have nightmares about that leg.

Woohoo! Gus goes postal in the best way possible. Or should I say, this mailman's taking out the garbage. That's my boy!

All in all, happy with the finale, and interested to see where the show goes with a second season. Doesn't have to be set in this particular small town. As long as the writing is this good, and the showrunner sticks to just telling a contained story each season, I can do this again.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    Pretty surprised that Malvo died. Getting his leg horribly injured in a blindside by Lester was straight out of No Country, and Gus killing him worked but I couldn't help but feel like it was anti-climactic in a perfectly Coen way. Surviving the initial bullets to the chest with a bloody smile was terrifying, though. This was BBT's show through and through, amazing performance, one of the best screen villain's in recent memory.

• Options
    Easily my favorite role of Billy Bob's.

Great show. 4.5 aces out of 5, would uff da again.

The previews for Tyrant look interesting, may be my new regular tuesday night thing.

• Options
    Harbringer197Harbringer197 Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    tyrant does look really good... I like the this new mini series format they're some downs sides to it but the stories feel more complete and less convoluted then a full drawn out series. Plus no agonizing waits I wonder if it's cables response to netflix.

the show was great give it a 4.5 as well not perfect but few things are.

Harbringer197 on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Where as married and you're the worst look awful as shit. And the bridge last year for me had flash's of good but ultimately ended up too dedicated to the source show and not dedicated to the interesting part of the set up.

Good final ep, I was so worried so many times.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
  • Options
    Thoughts on the finale spoilers obviously.

I know some people are upset at Gus being the one to take down Malvo, but it worked for me. Gus was cleaning up the mess he left as a police officer when he let Malvo go on the night of the shooting. Also Gus was in animal control and Malvo was a rabid dog, he got put down like a rabid dog. A bit ice cold of Gus to wait for Malvo to take care of his leg in horrifying fashion before shooting Malvo.

Lester dying to running on the thin ice is the most poetic death ever.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    so what does everyone think the two glove story meant

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    i also appreciated how
    the car salesman was the guy lester had previously tried to sell life insurance to because (i'm paraphrasing) "you don't know when you might just up and die!!"

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    so what does everyone think the two glove story meant

Apparently a line was cut Molly was supposed to say. “It’s not a story about a man who loses a glove, it’s a story about a man who gives his gloves away”

I liked this theory from Uproxx.
    Perhaps I’m being obtuse, but I’m not sure what to make of Solverson’s anecdote to Lester Nygaard about the man boarding the train who accidentally lost one glove and then deliberately dropped the other. The point I take from it is that losing one thing (a glove, a wife) could be an unfortunate accident, losing two suggests agency.

Then again someone else suggest it could be more of a "What would you do faced with the situation of helping someone else and losing part of yourself, or holding on to part of something knowing it will never be complete again." Like Malvo would burn the glove, and Lester would definitely keep it and claim someone stole the other one. Other characters on the show would have their own reactions showing more of their personality than a simple story would care to represent.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Such a great little show.

If you'd told me about 18 months ago that two of my favorite shows would be shows based on Fargo and Hannibal Lecter, I would've said you were crazy.

But here we are. Holy shit.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Also, (finale spoilers)
    just how pants-shittingly terrifying was Malvo's reaction to being shot the first time?

And then Gus shoots him right in the sneer. Best way they could've done that.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
  • Options
    Also, (finale spoilers)
    just how pants-shittingly terrifying was Malvo's reaction to being shot the first time?

And then Gus shoots him right in the sneer. Best way they could've done that.

What I liked is that it again spoke to the banality of Evil. We saw that malvo could be wounded with the bear trap, and then we see him like his story earlier about the bear that chewed off its own leg but died anyway, going out on his own terms. He got one last fuck you to gus and made him shoot him more just to be sure.

Also you have to appreciate Lester dying on thin ice, not because he ran on to thin ice, but because he stopped, it was Wylie Coyote style, if he had just kept running maybe he makes it, but like everything else in Lester's shitty little life, when he stopped and thought about what was going on, it killed him.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    This show is a day 1 purchase on bluray, that's for damn sure.

ygPIJ.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I really have no idea how they're going to do a season two of this, but I'm game to find out.

Edit: Double post

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
  • Options
    final thoughts: Odenkirk did a good job.

Sad Wrench didn't appear again.

• Options
    Malvo getting his leg caught in the bear trap was the most shocking moment for me. I thought he really was impervious to anything more than that bump on the head in the pilot.

• Options
    Bubby wrote: »
    Malvo getting his leg caught in the bear trap was the most shocking moment for me. I thought he really was impervious to anything more than that bump on the head in the pilot.

I was really expecting
    Malvo to pull a "Numbers" on Lester with a false blood trail.

• Options
    Harbringer197Harbringer197 Registered User regular
    I really did not expect the bear trap either i can't believe i didn't see the foreshadowing the plot armor was just so strong on Malvo. Lester is a resourceful little weasel

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Lester's fate spoilers
    I saw the thin ice as a brilliant refutation of the idea from the poster. You know, "What if you're right and they're wrong?" Lester had been successful on that premise over and over again to the point where he thought him wanting something MADE it right. Icy lakes didn't buy in to his thinking though.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    The thing I love about the anthology format is it really makes TV analogous to movies.

Like, for a long time now people have been saying the best stuff is on TV(mostly true), but even in the case of your Breaking Bads, your Mad Mens, your Sopranos, you are asking actors to play characters for 5 years. And you're asking audiences to be willing to do the slow burn of development over those years. They're still fantastic products, but they're different from movies.

With the True Detective/Fargo model, not only can you attract A-List hollywood talent because they're only committing a few months to shooting ~8 episodes, but it allows for writing that doesn't have to look ahead to the 2nd season or beyond.

It's basically saying, what if we gave you the kind of beginning, middle, and end you get in a 2.5 hour movie, except it's 8 hours and you want it an hour at a time. There's literally no downside as long as they have enough story to tell and development to fill it out, which this year's 2 examples absolutely did.

Now don't get me wrong, I absolutely still want multi season TV shows. Breaking Bad, Sopranos, Mad Men, The Wire, etc. would not be the same in only one season, and they're still masterpieces. But having both those and the new anthology style closed stories told in one season just means TV is better than it already was, which is only a good thing.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    Anyone else happy they don't have to watch anything else on FX so not as much Ricky Gervais or ads for that absolutely terrible looking married or you're the worst? Because I sure as fuck am.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I won't be watching anything on F/X for a few months, but I don't care about ads. It's been many years since I did anything but fast forward through an ad.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Lester dying to running on the thin ice is the most poetic death ever.
    Everyone shouted the ice was too thin but Lester? Lester was determined to go his own way. Lester was also not a fish so he drowned.
    fish.jpg

• Options
    If I ever own a home with a basement I'm totally buying that poster and putting it there.

• Options
    Anyone else happy they don't have to watch anything else on FX so not as much Ricky Gervais or ads for that absolutely terrible looking married or you're the worst? Because I sure as fuck am.

This is how I feel about those ads (thread relevant)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLX191MxGqk

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    Just finished catching up. Takeaways.
    Lester is the fucking devil.

Malvo is the fucking devil.

Bob Odenkirk is vastly under-appreciated as an actor and needs to be in more things.

I'd chew off my foot at the ankle for a prequel series about Malvo. I know it might ruin his mystique, but he was always just so damn competent
    with the exception of doing murders in a Vegas elevator and stealing an FBI car instead of carrying on in the one from the used car lot.
    I want to know how he got the way he was, why be a hitman for shitty pay when he was obviously ridiculously talented to the extent that he could have done anything he wanted, how did his operation work, where did he come from with all that training? etc.

Magnificent series. Excellent close.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Just finished catching up. Takeaways.
    Lester is the fucking devil.

Malvo is the fucking devil.

Bob Odenkirk is vastly under-appreciated as an actor and needs to be in more things.

I'd chew off my foot at the ankle for a prequel series about Malvo. I know it might ruin his mystique, but he was always just so damn competent
    with the exception of doing murders in a Vegas elevator and stealing an FBI car instead of carrying on in the one from the used car lot.
    I want to know how he got the way he was, why be a hitman for shitty pay when he was obviously ridiculously talented to the extent that he could have done anything he wanted, how did his operation work, where did he come from with all that training? etc.

Magnificent series. Excellent close.

He lost his game in the final episode. I still forgive it because it was the classic Anton Chigurh arc - underestimating the enemy got him knicked.

Bubby on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    A really great series. I like how it delved into so many of the Coen's themes, with Malvo as their recurrent "evil bordering on supernatural" character. Now, all these characters always end up being shown to be human, but that elemental mystery makes them so much more dangerous.

I love the anthology format and I'd hate to see this show go forward by diluting the great work we got here, but it'll be a shame not to spend more time with these characters again. I'll miss Molly and Gus and Grandpa Joe. I'm going to go ahead and say this was the best thing Colin Hanks has done to date.

I'm ready to see another season, though. This was spectacular.

• Options
    Easily the best thing Colin Hanks has done, though I still don't think he'd have a career if it weren't for his last name.

• Options
    Nah the best thing Colin Hanks did was The Good Guys, a show that was cut down in its prime.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod

Hey now the Americans is all right

Wqdwp8l.png