As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gary Webcomics Thread, Featuring Gary. No Garyshaming.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    Full Stop Drop And Roll

2014-05-09-Full-Stop-Drop-And-Roll.jpg
    The full stop (or period, as some call it) is a device of brutal truncation. It represents the fly that landed in King Canterbild's tea as he sat at a tense diplomatic meeting in a neighboring nation. The war was so brutal and bloody, we don't speak of it or even record it in history books, so don't bother looking it up. However, we use the full stop as a reminder that flies are just the worst, and why do we even need them?
    rfilyaw wrote: »
    y'ever edit a full stop out of your post because it sounded too serious

I have totally done that, man.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    except the cosby show is one of the most beloved and influential sitcoms of all time?
    Isn't that the point though? His standup career is totally overshadowed by the Cosby Show so that's all anyone remembers and, since he wound up doing some pretty wacky stuff in the show, that's what the memes target.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    except the cosby show is one of the most beloved and influential sitcoms of all time?
    Isn't that the point though? His standup career is totally overshadowed by the Cosby Show so that's all anyone remembers and, since he wound up doing some pretty wacky stuff in the show, that's what the memes target.

The meme tends to target his Jello Pudding commercials, though.

Totally ignoring the fact that he is one of the greatest stand up comedians period, who also starred on one of the most important sitcoms of all time.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    People like exaggerating people into funny caricatures.

I don't really see why that's particularly bothersome.

Arguing how the guy is totally amazing on stage and should be respected is totally true, but I think that arguments opposing the memetic version of him are approaching GET OFF MY LAWN speech.

I respect the shit out of him for his career (excluding Ghost Dad of course) but I also love the exaggerated cartoony scat jello pudding version that everyone does of him.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

The Cosby Show was pretty funny too, though. And obviously greatly influenced by his act (I can remember parts of Bill Cosby: Himself that went into the show practically verbatim).

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    It's not that it's disrespectful, that part is just a consequence of being a relatively public personality

It's that it's completely vacuous and betrays a complete lack of understanding about what made him a popular personality in the first place. Like, most of the people making these jokes are too young to remember his pudding pop commercials in the first place, they're just vomiting shit that's been bounced around for decades

Like, sure, that's fine on its face

But it's both really lazy and incredibly dumb

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    imdointhisimdointhis I should actually stop doin' this. Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    It's not that it's disrespectful, that part is just a consequence of being a relatively public personality

It's that it's completely vacuous and betrays a complete lack of understanding about what made him a popular personality in the first place. Like, most of the people making these jokes are too young to remember his pudding pop commercials in the first place, they're just vomiting shit that's been bounced around for decades

ITT we get at anyone that isn't an 80's kid.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    That's just the consequence of time marching on, though.

People/events/things that were a big part of our childhood are more and more irrelevant to kids now.

That's just how it goes.

The fact that references to Cosby still exist, even if they're joke caricatures not based on reality, is kind of astonishing, considering how he's more or less vanished from the public eye for the most part.

Barely anybody even really talks about, say, Eddie Murphy anymore, and that guy's still actively working on things. And Eddie Murphy was fucking HUGE around the same time when Cosby really became famous.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Goatmon wrote: »

People/events/things that were a big part of our childhood is more and more irrelevant to kids now.

That's just how it goes.

The fact that references to Cosby still exist, even if they're joke caricatures not based on reality, is kind of astonishing.

Barely anybody even really talks about, say, Eddie Murphy anymore, and that guy's still actively working on things. And Eddie murphy was fucking HUGE around the same time when Cosby really became famous.

Pluto_Nash.jpg

• Options
    edited May 2014
    imdointhis wrote: »

ITT we get at anyone that isn't an 80's kid.

Not really? Kids of the 80s are the ones who perpetuated the pudding pop thing in the first place
    Goatmon wrote: »

People/events/things that were a big part of our childhood is more and more irrelevant to kids now.

That's just how it goes.

The fact that references to Cosby still exist, even if they're joke caricatures not based on reality, is kind of astonishing.

Barely anybody even really talks about, say, Eddie Murphy anymore, and that guy's still actively working on things. And Eddie murphy was fucking HUGE around the same time when Cosby really became famous.

I just

I reject that reasoning

Bill Cosby wasn't part of my childhood, that is a really major cultural force, outside of the syndication of the Cosby Show. Even when I was growing up, he was a cultural keystone, one of the legends of comedy in at least two different forms - I was introduced to his stand-up by my father, who wanted to share what he thought was funny with me.

I had a coworker who aspired to be a stand-up comedian - he was about my age and we'd often talk about stand-up comedy, because I really enjoyed it and so did he. One of his favorite things to do were impressions (uh-oh). And his Bill Cosby impression, in spite of this guy priding himself on being knee-deep in the history of latter-20th Century comedy, was just the same pudding pop commercial memes. I never let him live that hsit down, and for reason.

It's lazy. If you are going to make referential comedy and put it out there, if you are going to wink and nod along with your audience about shared cultural understanding, you don't take the lowest common denominator and try to appeal specifically to that. That's part of what makes that webcomic bad. It would be roughly equivalent to talking about paying Eddie Murphy to wake you up every morning and then having him in the god damn Nutty Professor fat suit. Or making Carlos Mencia jokes. Or Dane Cook jokes.

You take this massive, massive oeuvre of culturally significant work and then you boil it down to advertisement references from when you were a kid because it's what you think your audience is going to understand, and you think this is the shorthand by which a figure should be referenced, and suddenly you're not talking about the person at all, you're talking about the meme

And it doesn't matter who makes them:

i-WBp3k7j-1050x10000.jpg

Comics about memes, or comics where the joke hinges on memes for their cultural shorthand, are almost universally bad

The long and short of it is this:

The world has enough jello pudding pop jokes. Try something else, even if it means you can't joke about Bill Cosby.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Okay, sorry guys, I got it out of my system, I'm done now

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Regardless of how long you think something is going to be topical or relevant, some day it will not be.

You didn't used to need annotations and footnotes everywhere for reading Victorian-era novels, but now the expressions and even references to then-normal items and practices are completely unknown and/or forgotten to us.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

A lot of 'impersonations' suffer from this. Like most of us have seen Ed Sullivan impersonations, but how many have every actually watched an episode of the Ed Sullivan show? (I haven't). I've heard comedians talk about this - often times an impersonation isn't even of the actual person, it's a copy of another comedian's iconic impersonation of the figure.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Webcomicers joke like this. But Webcomicquios joke like this.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    My problem isn't even one of disrespect

I just think it's a lazy joke, and worse it isn't actually funny

It's just yelling a meme and then going, "Eh? Get it?"

EDIT: Okay I just caught up and noticed that Wyborn beat me to this point and far more thoroughly, so yeah what he said.

EDIT2: Nobody has given a shit about Eddie Murphy since the Golden Child.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Bill Cosby wrote:
    I said to a guy, "Tell me, what is it about cocaine that makes it so wonderful," and he said, "Because it intensifies your personality." I said, "Yes, but what if you're an asshole?"

Bill Cosby told me as a child that it was a good idea to get a gorilla as a pet so that he could sleep in the corner at night. Then when someone breaks in, they would think the gorilla was a safe and try to spin the dial.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYV220Vz2w0

This is from... 1995? I think?

So yeah... the pudding pop joke has been around since I was in middle school.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    the list of things that have made the transition from cultural keystone to parody to laughed-about-old-people-thing to fucking completely forgotten is long and stretches back to the dawn of media. If that weren't how it worked we'd all still be watching All In the Family.

the things I remember most about sean connery are 'the penis mightier' and 'winners go home and fuck the prom queen,' and one of those isn't even from the real sean connery. To a generation plus he's an iconic leading man; to people my age he's practically a punch line. So it is with Cosby and there's nothing really wrong with that. Sweaters and pudding pops and gramps telling me about the good old days are funny.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Regardless of how long you think something is going to be topical or relevant, some day it will not be.

You didn't used to need annotations and footnotes everywhere for reading Victorian-era novels, but now the expressions and even references to then-normal items and practices are completely unknown and/or forgotten to us.

fart jokes will always be en vogue

The joke, told by the Sumerians, a people who lived in what is now southern Iraq in one of the earliest known civilizations of the world, was found inscribed on stone tablets. It went like this, according to researchers from Britain's University of Wolverhampton: "Something which has never occurred since time immemorial; a young woman did not fart in her husband's lap."

HugmasterGeneral on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    I always enjoyed the one from Canterbury Tales
    This Nicholas just then let fly a fart
    As loud as it had been a thunder-clap,
    And well-nigh blinded Absalom, poor chap;
    But he was ready with his iron hot
    And Nicholas right in the arse he got.
    Off went the skin a hand's-breadth broad, about,
    The coulter burned his bottom so, throughout,
    That for the pain he thought that he should die.
    And like one mad he started in to cry,
    "Help! Water! Water! For God's dear heart!"

• Options
    the list of things that have made the transition from cultural keystone to parody to laughed-about-old-people-thing to fucking completely forgotten is long and stretches back to the dawn of media. If that weren't how it worked we'd all still be watching All In the Family.

the things I remember most about sean connery are 'the penis mightier' and 'winners go home and fuck the prom queen,' and one of those isn't even from the real sean connery. To a generation plus he's an iconic leading man; to people my age he's practically a punch line. So it is with Cosby and there's nothing really wrong with that. Sweaters and pudding pops and gramps telling me about the good old days are funny.

DNJamesBond41.jpg

Counter-point.

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular

:|
    Real-talk though: the avatar is because I like the movie Hunt for Red October and not because I am a huge Sean Connery fan, mostly because I'm not, you know, a huge misogynist.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Why was the Cosby child closest to my complexion the most reckless?

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    tumblr_n4i2u2cnht1qb05x1o1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_n4v456UuGN1qb05x1o1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_n580nrDoZm1qb05x1o1_1280.jpg

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Prof. AwesomeProf. Awesome Registered User regular
    banner2.jpg

I drew a thing

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Spoilers!?

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Erin seems very interested in that monster's boxers.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    Erin seems very interested in that monster's boxers.

She looks like she's dismissing the whole thing as ridiculous. Looking at the boxers and going "Really?"

• Options
    Prof. AwesomeProf. Awesome Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Spoilers!?
    Hmm, yes and no. It's a scene that's actually never going to happen in the comic, I kinda just wanted to draw something cool.
    Definitely some spoilers though and I was a little hesitant about posting it, but I drew it, so might as well.

A part of me fears that I might never get to that point in the story because of my carpal tunnel syndrome, so I mostly did it for myself.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Spoilers!?
    Hmm, yes and no. It's a scene that's actually never going to happen in the comic, I kinda just wanted to draw something cool.
    Definitely some spoilers though and I was a little hesitant about posting it, but I drew it, so might as well.

A part of me fears that I might never get to that point in the story because of my carpal tunnel syndrome, so I mostly did it for myself.

Well, mission accomplished.

• Options
    POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    look man no one wants any trouble here

vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • Options
    vidvid Hot Dog Wizard PDXRegistered User regular
    2013-12-14-121.jpg
    http://www.iwantyoutofeelthepressure.com/

I Want You to Feel the Pressure is a comic about fun onomatopoeia, hon.

55ymlH2.png
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    20140510.png

New Bobbins
    presents... the mystery of KEN

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    wait there's a character who is actually called walky?

• Options
    CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    wait there's a character who is actually called walky?

Its a nickname. His full name is David Walkerton. I don't know how he got the nickname in the Dumbing of Age universe, but in the original "It's Walky" universe, Billie started calling him Walky because he wouldn't stop calling her "Billie," when they were like six. (Her real name is actually Jennifer Billingsworth.)

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    IT'S.....WALKY!!!!!!!!

• Options
    Boring7Boring7 Registered User regular
    Spoilers!?

Well I hope you do, it seems like a fun comic I just read.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    dc20140508.png

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    140509.jpg

Derelict is a comic about life in the middle of the ocean. I am obliged to warn you about it.

This discussion has been closed.