As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trying to get some quick paintings done (pg 4)

• Options
    AmericanJesusAmericanJesus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    That's cool.

AmericanJesus on
    Meow.
  • Options
    xaqariaxaqaria Registered User new member
    edited May 2007
    A couple people have said that your watercolors are better than your digital but it all looks about on equal ground to me, its just a different medium/style. The watercolors are bitchin and the digital are bitchin in a more cartoon type of way.

xaqaria on
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Whoever did the GOW Picture please make me a sam fisher! :P

Hobbes on
    3DS 0817-4246-8005
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    i did that gears pic, so thanks! i'll do a sam fisher if you would like.
    the gears one got printed in hardcore gamer:)

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I'm working on Link in that style.

AmericanJesus on
    Meow.
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    watercolornewom8.jpg

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Cool.

AmericanJesus on
    Meow.
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    i don't understand how to use watercolors.
    is it just build up a base, then layer it on thin?
    because...yeah everytime i do it, i end up making a giant mess
    and making holes in my cardstock because they get all wet from all the water i use... and wrinkly, the paper always wrinkles >_<
    i think i need special watercolor paper.

beavotron on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited June 2007
    Yeah you can get that pre-stretched stuff that apparently doesn't wrinkle.

bombardier on
  • Options
    RavenshadowRavenshadow Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    beavotron wrote: »
    and making holes in my cardstock because they get all wet from all the water i use... and wrinkly, the paper always wrinkles >_<

same here. Everything I do ends up being different shades of nasty brown. I think it's magic.

And that last piece is pretty cool Zerg

Ravenshadow on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

yeah get some thick watercolor paper. cheap stuff will buckle quickly. you can get a huge ass sheet for like 4 bucks. you can get a block thats decent for like 12-15ish. those are cool because its 20 sheets, and they're all fused at the edges making a solid block of paper. there's a sliver at the top, and when you're done with the top sheet you cut the seal away, and have a fresh piece.
    use less water maybe?
    let the paint dry before using other colors, and this will avoid bleeding the colors and getting them muddy.
    i use a hair dryer for quick drying. only takes a few seconds.

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    been working on shading as it has been my weakness.....
    sketchesvr3.jpg

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    quick line sketch of the prov skyline
    provlz4.jpg

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

same here. Everything I do ends up being different shades of nasty brown. I think it's magic.

And that last piece is pretty cool Zerg

Tape down the edges of your paper before you start, and only remove it after it's dry.

As for technique, youtube has a few watercolour videos, check em out.

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    punch.jpg

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    That arm confuses and alarms me. O_O

Projeck on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Project37 wrote: »
    That arm confuses and alarms me. O_O

IT IS HUGE

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    too big? to be fair i was just trying to "ink" and "paint" and referenced an image from Iron and the Maiden comic. so i was practicing drawing, inking and painting, in PS. i think i may have actually slimmed the arm down from the original drawing.

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    CrowlestonCrowleston Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Painting looks good. A little sloppy around the edges though. (really only on the left shoulder) Also, I'm not sure if the light is rendered correctly on the left shoulder. It seems to be coming from a different light source.

Crowleston on
    useless but necessary objects of society.
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    too big? to be fair i was just trying to "ink" and "paint" and referenced an image from Iron and the Maiden comic. so i was practicing drawing, inking and painting, in PS. i think i may have actually slimmed the arm down from the original drawing.

nah, it suits the style, although i admit i don't really get what's supposed to be happening in the pic - seems like a part of something larger.

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Rolo wrote: »

nah, it suits the style, although i admit i don't really get what's supposed to be happening in the pic - seems like a part of something larger.

yeah he was punching a guy, but even that page was done sloppy. i just moved once i get my scanner up i'll scan the ref i used.

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    just for shits and giggles the process.
    punchprocess.jpg

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    IrrIrr Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    How do you get such smooth lines on a tablet? Granted, I do have a bit of a problem drawing smooth lines on normal paper, but I see so many people with nice, nearly perfect lines and have to wonder how they do it. Is there some really easy trick that no one has told me about? Does everyone know this secret but me!?

Irr on
    C'Thun is a giant eyeball, but can he see why kids love cinnamon toast crunch?
    BECAUSE IT HOLDS THE POWER OF THE IMMORTALS?
    No silly, it's the taste you can see!
    YOU...WILL....DIE....
  • Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Irr wrote: »
    How do you get such smooth lines on a tablet? Granted, I do have a bit of a problem drawing smooth lines on normal paper, but I see so many people with nice, nearly perfect lines and have to wonder how they do it. Is there some really easy trick that no one has told me about? Does everyone know this secret but me!?

Well, sometimes it helps if you put a piece of paper between your pen and the tablet for resistance, and you'll have a smoother motion if you try to move more of your arm.

But the easy trick?
    practice

lyrium on
  • Options
    lilchingch0nglilchingch0ng Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    hello there

your water color painting are very seksi

but your 2nd digital pear bears a strong resemblance to a bellpepper.

lilchingch0ng on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    that pear DOES look like a pepper!!!

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    DeemsDeems Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    That ink+watercolor with the blood....gets to me. In a good way. Dynamic as freaking everything, Digital work is good too, of course. ^.^ One question, though: do you ever draw anything besides faces/busts? Not as a critique, I was just wondering if you had any crazy-arse pics of a leg on a unicycle covered in eggplants, or whatever. Becasue if anyone can pull that off, you can.

Deems on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Digital WIP
    man i suck at digital stuff, but i guess i just gotta keep at it...this is like 40 min in.
    speedpaint1.jpg

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    richer tones i say, RICHER!!!

also, add a swing

and a hot chick on said swing

lilchingch0ng on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    yeah i was working CMYK, so when you view it in RGB it looks like ASS. its totally washed out. anyone know how to fix it so it looks like it does on my screen?
    richer tones i say, RICHER!!!

also, add a swing

and a hot chick on said swing

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    WIP
    KUMA the karate bear. watercolor.
    (this is a watercolor of my fiance's bear.

kuma.jpg

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    sebgouveiasebgouveia Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I like how you add small backgrounds to your artwork...like the bear with the circle behind it, and on the piece where you were practicing shading, the picture of the man with 3 chins has the square background.

I think it adds alot more to the piece and draws your eye to it, it's a cool technique I might try it sometime.

Great stuff by the way, I love the first watercolor with the blood.

sebgouveia on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Try using a larger brush for the digital stuff. You could've thrown all that color down in less than 5 minutes. I can see lots of tiny little lines - try using a large round brush, or even one that varies size by tablet pressure.

Also, your colors do need to be muted down a bit. Trunks are rarely that color brown - a lot of tree trunks are actually more grey then they are brown. The grass is what gets to me the most, I think - it's so bright, especially as it fades into the distance. It's like an aquamarine color. It's teal. I'd try desaturating it a bit and adding a bit of yellow/brown.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Finished this digitally.
    kuma-1.jpg

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    batvs9.jpg

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    rhinoof5.jpg

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    parrot2zh7.jpg

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    man you update alot, your making me feel bad. out of curiousity, what's the usual dpi of your images before u shrink em down for teh interwebs. I ask this because your digital stuff always look a bit rough and unfinished, and while you could call it stylistic, i would still like to see you push your work further (if its feathers, make it looks like actual feathers, if its hair then make it blah blah blah etc)

lilchingch0ng on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    i agree and am open to all suggestions..i seem to really suck at digital no matter what i do. i feel like i'm not improving, which is frustrating. i usually work 11x14 @ 300 dpi any pointers?

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    cartoonyMASTER.jpg

NakedZergling on