As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ARMA 3 - PA JOE -or- "Let's play army men."

• Options
    VedicIntentVedicIntent Registered User regular
    FYI, launchers work like this:

PCML: Only targets ground vehicles, but can dumbfire. Hold T to lock, and once you get a double-square icon confirmation (and really annoying beeping), it's fire-and-forget.

Titan: Has ammo types for AA, AT, and AP (anti-personnel, which would have been handy there at the end). AA and AT lock the same as PCML, but after firing, you must keep the target in your sights until impact. I believe it is fly-by-wire. I don't know for sure how the AP works targeting-wise. The "compact" Titan attacks ground targets only, like the PCML.

I'd personally hoped to be a bit more consistent with that 12.7mm rifle, but my thermal glitched out at Reno (don't use the MG thermals on a sniper...) and I was stuck with an unfamiliar backup 12x scope that didn't work with NVGs.

I agree it would be good for us to coordinate loadouts in the future.

VT09mOz.png
  • Options
    Ra's Al PearceRa's Al Pearce "When im in command, every mission is a suicide mission!" - Zap Brannigan Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    - Long gun guys- You did your job well- but get comfy with those guns.... shooting at 100-200 can be a bear in this game you guys are expected to take the 200+ ... way plus shots.... the less shots you guys take to down a guy the better.

I practice quite a bit on the server when no one is on. But unfortunately and an interesting twist, that CSAT marksman rifle is so rare I've never used it before. I didn't realise until half way through the shooting that Its not quite as accurate as one would expect. Furthermore when supressed it does very little damage. I was putting 4-6 rounds into targets before they went down. I'll know better next time. If I'm able to choose my own equipment, it wont be that piece of junk. Its sad but I was making shots with the Mk.20C at 400 with a good scope and getting solid kills over a marksman's rifle. Lesson learned.

*** We should adopt boonie hats and civi clothing as our regular head dress to avoid confusion in the future. I had no trouble what so ever telling who was who in the zoo last night.***

Soft caps on fellas!

oh and I will be trying to escape from one of the islands this afternoon if anyone wants to join?

Ra's Al Pearce on
  • Options
    Konphujun wrote: »
    EDIT: Dynamic War Simulator System might be a fantastic thing to run in between sessions. I'\m pretty sure it is all server side too.

After playing with some of those dynamic mission tools, I really recommend MCC. It takes a bit of learning, but it runs AI patrols and searches automatically, reinforces AI if dictated by the mission, and is a really powerful mini-Zeus. And the GM can blind themselves from seeing enemy units, so they can be surprised by stuff like other players.

It also has an infantry command console that gives automated ground/air evac (which you can signal in with smoke, chem lights, etc.), artillery (based on coords or laser designators), and more. That frees up the GM to do stuff without being tied down by manually controlling those assets.

It all runs server-side and integrates with Zeus really well, but of course introduces variables like any mod would.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?150909-MCC-Sandbox-3-Dynamic-mission-creating-tool-for-ArmA-3

VT09mOz.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Yeah, MCC is great.

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    - Long gun guys- You did your job well- but get comfy with those guns.... shooting at 100-200 can be a bear in this game you guys are expected to take the 200+ ... way plus shots.... the less shots you guys take to down a guy the better.

I practice quite a bit on the server when no one is on. But unfortunately and an interesting twist, that CSAT marksman rifle is so rare I've never used it before. I didn't realise until half way through the shooting that Its not quite as accurate as one would expect. Furthermore when supressed it does very little damage. I was putting 4-6 rounds into targets before they went down. I'll know better next time. If I'm able to choose my own equipment, it wont be that piece of junk. Its sad but I was making shots with the Mk.20C at 400 with a good scope and getting solid kills over a marksman's rifle. Lesson learned.

*** We should adopt boonie hats and civi clothing as our regular head dress to avoid confusion in the future. I had no trouble what so ever telling who was who in the zoo last night.***

Soft caps on fellas!

oh and I will be trying to escape from one of the islands this afternoon if anyone wants to join?

i may try to get one in early 6-7 est.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    Also you should follow @Jester814‌'s Youtube channel. Some nice Arma action going on there.

Check out that assault ten minutes into this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gNesKRFGCM

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    We need to be slightly more organized, we fell into the re-spawn to muscle through an engagement trophe a little at the end.

maybe bump respawn time to a minute? I mean its harsh... but we want maximum respect for your person.... The goal is nicks and cuts and no one goes down.
    I dunno, I felt pretty okay with the spawn situation in general. Both times I went down, it was from one-shot hits; there was no "nicks and cuts" intermediate, just "bangbangdead". And with the way the AI works, one-shot kills look to be more the norm than wounds. For all the joking around, I'm pretty sure when Ra's kept going down, it was because the enemy shots were basically killing him with the first shot fired and he just happened to be the first one they saw just out of sheer luck; he wasn't running around firing wildly into the air or anything to draw attention.

I'm not necessarily opposed to longer respawn times just to make dying count for more, but I feel like the respawning yesterday was pretty close to perfect for the situation. It was enough to keep us from wanting to all be clustered in the same room and we weren't doing blind charges or anything, but it was also convenient enough that slipping through the walls of the tower or Hawkeye the AI finding the top of your head with a round from 300m out didn't mean our position was going to fold.

• Options
    Ra's Al PearceRa's Al Pearce "When im in command, every mission is a suicide mission!" - Zap Brannigan Registered User regular
    I have the worst luck.

• Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    I have the worst luck.

You've clearly stockpiled a large amount of bad Arma Karma.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Taranis wrote: »
    I have the worst luck.

I survived like 4 shots last night. My guy was full of holes when i finally get back...

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    Taranis wrote: »

Ha! I'm like the nicest guy in Canada! And us Canadians are known for our niceness!

• Options
    TPSouTPSou Mr Registered User regular
    I'll be about tonight for some escaping if anyone else is. Fiance is away so I can actually play in more reasonable times for your timezone, just let me know on Steam or something.

• Options
    This pic more or less sums up what its like for me during Arma 3 play.

4fehk40v5gj2.jpg

• Options
    TPSou wrote: »
    I'll be about tonight for some escaping if anyone else is. Fiance is away so I can actually play in more reasonable times for your timezone, just let me know on Steam or something.

oh lord its the tp ras mojo connection! that island is Sooooooo left

• Options

oh lord its the tp ras mojo connection! that island is Sooooooo left

The three amigo's .... TEAM RAMROD !

• Options
    I shoot grenades into distant jeeps, Mojo shoots grenades into soaring helicopters, Ra's eats all the grenades. The perfect team.

• Options
    I shoot grenades into distant jeeps, Mojo shoots grenades into soaring helicopters, Ra's eats all the grenades. The perfect team.

9g2vw7W.jpg

• Options
    This is going to be my soundtrack for tonight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfAuFAgHpzc

• Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    How do I go about getting in on some of this sometime.

• Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular

From what I understand, just keep an eye on the thread for non-Zeus campaign stuff such as the escape from Altis/Stratis co-ops that are going on. As for the Zeus campaign, it runs on Wednesdays and some Saturdays as well.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    edited May 2014

steam friend me. same name

ima try and get one in 730-800 ish tonight

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    This will be tonight's game...

sx8bz2p7jkll.png

Ra's Al Pearce on
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    I'm always that guy from Anchorman.

No matter how many bullets they shoot at me.

• Options
    XOCentricXOCentric Registered User regular
    Server is going down to add the ASR AI mod. This should result in smarter AI, without the laser vision.

steam: xo_centric uplay: xocentric
  • Options
    I think this works just having it client-side - JSRS Sound mod. It replaces pretty much all vanilla weapon sounds, and if you weren't encouraged to keep your head down before, you will be with this.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Sweet, good to hear.

• Options
    Echo wrote: »
    I think this works just having it client-side - JSRS Sound mod. It replaces pretty much all vanilla weapon sounds, and if you weren't encouraged to keep your head down before, you will be with this.

does this show up in the mod list in the main menu? I'm not a very competent computer person and don't experiment much with mods.

• Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    Do I need any mods or DLC to play with you guys?

• Options
    Do I need any mods or DLC to play with you guys?

No, we run vanilla.

• Options
    I'm going to launch an escape mission now if anyone wants in.

• Options
    Well, the mod files are in the server, but I can't get the server to launch remotely when I change the command line to include the mods.

Anyone with experience modding ARMA servers out there?

• Options
    Tonight's catch:

2014-05-23_00001.jpg

• Options
    Ah man, wish I'd seen how to get that data up, I love me some stats, did get this though: u2jqNDu.jpg and M1iMYpl.jpg

• Options
    The AI mod is added and functioning on the server, and the server is up and running.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    oi, I had the day off today, but man, I couldn't be asked to play anything. I *really* needed some R&R, apparently.
    You guys gonna do an escape from altis tomorrow? or something else?

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    On the topic of modifying AI, I'd like to suggest something like this TPWCAS mod for ARMA 3. Apparently, it adds suppression behavior to enemy AI, so they would, presumably, suffer aim penalties for repeated near-misses from enemy fire.

We might not want to pile on a bunch of mods like that right away since that could obviously cause complications like not getting the game to run, but I just wanted to throw that one out there. Aside from the absurd visual abilities of enemy AI, they haven't really been all that bad, so we don't really need to hurry to fix them or anything. Hopefully the modded AI will prove to be more acceptable, since we hopefully won't be dealing with perfecto-vision any more.

Although if I had to pick one mod that I would reeeeeeeeaaally really want, it's this one: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=20816 (VTS Simple weapon resting mod)
    Just lets you rest your weapon on scenery items or other soldiers to stabilize aim, like any soldier with half a brain cell would do if they could. It's something I saw mentioned a few pages back and after spending some time with the game now, it's something I would let the enemy shoot Pearce right in the face to get.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    We need that VTS mod. As it is, it's far too difficult to hit targets even at medium ranges with rifles or carbines.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Ill run some when im off around 2

and will be around for saturday!

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    I've been using ASR for a while, and I really like the AI behavior it creates. The only problem is that enemy troops are extremely liberal with the smoke grenades when they come under fire, and they're not too picky with colors. As soon as you engage, suddenly the Opfor circus is in town. You can tweak that in the configs, and otherwise it's a great mod.

VT09mOz.png
  • Options
    I'll be up for some from 2 or so as well