As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Weight Loss and Fitness: Repent, for Swimsuit Season Is Nigh

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I need a scale, so I know just how much I am hulking out. there was one at the gym that vanished

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    I wasn't asking to be pandered to. I did say I don't know how much I weigh and honestly I've never cared.

My point was I still feel bad about my body sometimes - in terms of how it looks. Shrug. It happens. Numbers don't factor in for me and for others, they tend to be a secondary part of how we beat ourselves up or celebrate ourselves.

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Personally my weight is just one of many useful metrics to help me track if my diet and exercising is having the results I want it to be having.

• Options
    oh no I was saying I need to get a scale. I don't have one

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Hi health thread, I am trying to get into shape this summer!

I'm lucky and have a crazy metabolism so I've been able to eat pretty much anything without gaining significant weight (although my stomach has gotten a little chubby which is weird given I am rail thin everywhere else) so I don't really know what to do, diet and fitness wise?

I've been working out on an every other day schedule, like this:
    Monday: Jog a mile on the treadmill, do 15 bicep curls, bench press-things (I'm using my apartment's machine and it has, like pullies and handles) and whatever the thing that works your shoulders and back at 35 pounds (like I said I'm super out of shape) then cyclemachine 3.5 miles and do another set of arm/back stuff
    Tuesday: Do 50 crunches, rest otherwise
    Wednesday: Same as Monday
    Thursday: Same as Tuesday, etc.

I'm 6'1, and weigh around 160 last time I checked. I tried the My FItness Pal thing but it seems to be focusing on weight loss whereas I'm more trying to get lean muscle and stuff

Suggestions?

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Squats, lunges and deadlift. Does your apartment gym have any free weights?

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I am about to go for a 5k run for the first time in weeks. To prepare for a 10k run on Sunday. Yep that sounds like a perfect training plan, well done me.

At least it's pissing with rain, so I can prepare for it pissing with rain on Sunday.

• Options
    Bé ChuilleBé Chuille Registered User regular
    I can't wait to go back diving this summer, but because I've lost a lot of fitness my bottle time will have gone to shit. Better get back training!

• Options
    Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku LondonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Hi health thread, I am trying to get into shape this summer!

I'm lucky and have a crazy metabolism so I've been able to eat pretty much anything without gaining significant weight (although my stomach has gotten a little chubby which is weird given I am rail thin everywhere else) so I don't really know what to do, diet and fitness wise?

I've been working out on an every other day schedule, like this:
    Monday: Jog a mile on the treadmill, do 15 bicep curls, bench press-things (I'm using my apartment's machine and it has, like pullies and handles) and whatever the thing that works your shoulders and back at 35 pounds (like I said I'm super out of shape) then cyclemachine 3.5 miles and do another set of arm/back stuff
    Tuesday: Do 50 crunches, rest otherwise
    Wednesday: Same as Monday
    Thursday: Same as Tuesday, etc.

I'm 6'1, and weigh around 160 last time I checked. I tried the My FItness Pal thing but it seems to be focusing on weight loss whereas I'm more trying to get lean muscle and stuff

Suggestions?

I was in a similar state to you two years ago - 6'1", 80kg, deadlift/squat/bench press: 120/80/40kg. I was doing Ironman triathlons and ultramarathons at the time but I didn't look at all impressive.

Currently, by doing the below I am 107kg at similar bf% and my lifts are: 227.5/185/125kg. I look a lot better.

You and some of the other beginners I've seen posting would probably benefit from reading this: http://simplesciencefitness.com/

It's the most accurate, complete and concise answer I've found to 'how do I get in shape?'

Your metabolism is very unlikely to be so high that you cannot gain weight, you just need to eat more. MFP can accommodate specific goals and if you want to gain weight then you need to be consistently eating a surplus of calories with an emphasis on getting sufficient protein (~1g/kg bodyweight). Work out your TDEE, add 10% to that and aim to hit it for a period of several weeks, assessing progress and adjusting numbers if you don't see changes.

You have fat around the abdomen because that's where most people store their fat first - it's nearer your centre of mass there and insulates the organs. If you have prominent abdominal fat then you probably have >15% bodyfat, which is not ideal. Crunches will have no effect on this, and are generally a worthless exercise, you must reduce your body fat to ~10% or below to have visible abs (more for women) and this is almost entirely down to eating at a caloric deficit, which is not ideal for someone aiming to gain muscle.

As you want to gain muscle and not just fat you'll have to do a progressively loaded weight training routine, for moderate reps (~8), going somewhere near muscular failure. Preferably doing compound exercises with a barbell. There are lots of proven programs and resources available to assist with this, some of the most common are mentioned here: http://simplesciencefitness.com/#anaerobic-training

You can build muscle without a barbell and squat rack, but it is harder. Dumbbells can be used, as can bodyweight (see nerd fitnesses BW workout). Machines are suboptimal for various reasons.

Your current routine is highly unlikely to give you any noticeable gains in strength or change your appearance because it doesn't sound like you increase the weight, you do too many reps at too light a weight and it doesn't train many of the largest muscles in the body.

Cardio is exactly that, cardiovascular exercise - it trains your energy systems to be more efficient at conducting long-duration exercise. It will only reduce muscle mass in the long term (to become more efficient) and burns a relatively insignificant number of calories (compared to adjusting the diet) for the purposes of weight-loss or body recomposition unless performed at high intensity for an extended period. I personally don't do any at all and it hasn't harmed my body composition. You probably would benefit from some for the sake of general fitness, but it shouldn't be the emphasis if your goal is changing how you look. There's plenty of recent evidence that shorter duration high intensity exercise is optimal for improving CV fitness without muscle loss, whereas long duration steady-state cardio is best for getting better at running marathons.

Anyway, apologies if this is a bit ranty. I've been meaning to reply to a bunch of the beginner Q's in the new thread and yours is the first I've found time for, so it's somewhat generally directed.

Jimmy Marku on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Decided to work towards a 100 push up challenge on my days off the gym for fun. Been doing it for a week now, just did 120 push ups, not in a row, spaced out in 5 sets with 60 second breaks in between.

Ow.

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    I'm getting better about appreciating things about myself, but I'm still occasionally tuning out those voices from when I was little that told me I didn't look the way they thought I should.

I'm trying not to let the numbers get me down while I focus on getting healthier.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Well, day one of fat guy trying to get into shape resulted in a pretty harsh wake up this morning. I knew I probably overdid it and that my body wasn't used to it - but wow. My arms and back and shoulders are just humming this morning and I woke up with a splitting headache (that could be unrelated though)...and I don't have any advil at work.

I did a little on the exercise bike, a mile on the treadmill, some weight stuff, and then punched our heavy bag. Overall about an hour of exercise...and because my son had to get to the shower/bed I didn't cool down quite as much as I should have.

I just keep telling myself it will get easier and eventually my manboobs will start to vanish. That's a good motivator.

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Well, day one of fat guy trying to get into shape resulted in a pretty harsh wake up this morning. I knew I probably overdid it and that my body wasn't used to it - but wow. My arms and back and shoulders are just humming this morning and I woke up with a splitting headache (that could be unrelated though)...and I don't have any advil at work.

I did a little on the exercise bike, a mile on the treadmill, some weight stuff, and then punched our heavy bag. Overall about an hour of exercise...and because my son had to get to the shower/bed I didn't cool down quite as much as I should have.

I just keep telling myself it will get easier and eventually my manboobs will start to vanish. That's a good motivator.

First step brah! Some soreness/ DOMS is very normal when you start. Once your body gets its stuff together for putting in the effort that will likely be greatly reduced, so don't think that a workout wasn't a good one just because you didn't end up sore.

• Options
    wrong_buttonwrong_button Registered User regular

When I started I did the same thing with the overdoing - the headache might be partly from dehydration. As you start getting into it, make sure you're keeping up your water intake before/during/after your workout.

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Had my intro session at the Pilates studio last night. It went pretty well. And now I have a month of unlimited classes there.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    So, one of my friends is trying to be "healthier" but I think she's endangering herself...any thoughts? Spoilered for kinda-long:
    So, one of my friends who's been overweight for a number of years, and made lots of half-hearted attempts to be healthier...told me a few months ago that she went vegan to try and eliminate foods that her body was struggling to digest (she's lactose intolerant and for some reason a bunch of other foods were bothering her too), and recently told me that she's lost 26 lbs! Her attitude towards life seems much healthier, and she's thinking of joining a local gym. All great, right?

...but on Facebook she keeps on "liking" posts from this girl's page....somebody called "Freelee - the Banana Girl"? Feel free to look her up. Basically a girl that struggled with eating disorders in the past (and is now apparently "completely healthy" and extremely thin looking) is touting her vegan, high fruit diet...that sometimes consists of eating ONLY dozens of bananas a day, or only two pineapples, or only 2 liters of orange juice, etc. This person posted a Youtube video that showed a recent blood test where all her results were apparently in the healthy range. The "Banana Girl" says that all the doctors and nutritionists that tell her she's malnourished are liars and it's all a big nutritional conspiracy. She has a huge number of followers.

My friend also shared an "infographic" a few weeks ago that suggested that some other mono-food health nut got "all her necessary protein from eating cherry tomatoes" because "cherry tomatoes are 20% protein". I linked my friend to something that showed that this person did not do their math properly, because there are 0.18 GRAMS of protein in a single cherry tomato...which does not mean that the cherry tomato is 20% protein. My friend never replied, but may have deleted her post.

So...am I crazy to think that the "Banana Girl" and these other people my friend is following are wildly, wildly unhealthy? I'm afraid that my friend is losing weight because she's following the advice from people that have no idea what they're doing...:( My friend doesn't use computers very often or the internet, so I'm not sure if she's aware how prevalent this stuff can be. Any of you guys dealt with this before? Is it actually possible these people are healthy and I am just completely wrong?

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Sounds like a bad fad diet to me! But if it moves the number on the scale, you might have a tough time convincing her to get off it.

• Options
    lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    So, one of my friends is trying to be "healthier" but I think she's endangering herself...any thoughts? Spoilered for kinda-long:
    So, one of my friends who's been overweight for a number of years, and made lots of half-hearted attempts to be healthier...told me a few months ago that she went vegan to try and eliminate foods that her body was struggling to digest (she's lactose intolerant and for some reason a bunch of other foods were bothering her too), and recently told me that she's lost 26 lbs! Her attitude towards life seems much healthier, and she's thinking of joining a local gym. All great, right?

...but on Facebook she keeps on "liking" posts from this girl's page....somebody called "Freelee - the Banana Girl"? Feel free to look her up. Basically a girl that struggled with eating disorders in the past (and is now apparently "completely healthy" and extremely thin looking) is touting her vegan, high fruit diet...that sometimes consists of eating ONLY dozens of bananas a day, or only two pineapples, or only 2 liters of orange juice, etc. This person posted a Youtube video that showed a recent blood test where all her results were apparently in the healthy range. The "Banana Girl" says that all the doctors and nutritionists that tell her she's malnourished are liars and it's all a big nutritional conspiracy. She has a huge number of followers.

My friend also shared an "infographic" a few weeks ago that suggested that some other mono-food health nut got "all her necessary protein from eating cherry tomatoes" because "cherry tomatoes are 20% protein". I linked my friend to something that showed that this person did not do their math properly, because there are 0.18 GRAMS of protein in a single cherry tomato...which does not mean that the cherry tomato is 20% protein. My friend never replied, but may have deleted her post.

So...am I crazy to think that the "Banana Girl" and these other people my friend is following are wildly, wildly unhealthy? I'm afraid that my friend is losing weight because she's following the advice from people that have no idea what they're doing...:( My friend doesn't use computers very often or the internet, so I'm not sure if she's aware how prevalent this stuff can be. Any of you guys dealt with this before? Is it actually possible these people are healthy and I am just completely wrong?

Humans are pretty robust creatures, getting 100% of your calories in a day from bananas once in a while won't kill you. But the idea that this is a efficient way to go about controlling your weight is batshit insane. As long as she consumes a variety of foods on the non-crazy days to fulfill the nutrients and vitamins that bananas don't provide there probably won't be any long term physical issues.

This all assumes she has a healthy digestive system and isn't diabetic. I imagine gorging on carbs all day would not be so great for your insulin.

I would download a car.
  • Options
    the fiber in fruits helps a lot in regulating how fast the sugar gets absorbed. but eating 12 bananas in a day sounds like a good way to start hating bananas

• Options
    Yeah, I mean...if this is a once-in-awhile thing, that's probably no big deal...that Banana Woman she's following though appears to eat only fruit for like 90+% of her diet. :\

I can see my friend falling into the "crazy fad diet" stuff pretty easily...eating a well-balanced list of foods has never really appealed to her - she doesn't cook ever, and has said she doesn't even want to have to think about figuring out what she has to eat. She's told me before that she just wants a personal trainer who gives her an exact list of foods to eat for every meal so there's no effort on her part to figure it out.

So, I can see her catching on to the idea of "just eat one of these 5 fruits for a whole day!" pretty easily. Augh. :C

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Jars wrote: »
    the fiber in fruits helps a lot in regulating how fast the sugar gets absorbed. but eating 12 bananas in a day sounds like a good way to start hating bananas

Try 57 bananas. That's what that Banana person has eaten some days. And only that.

[edit] Banana person has said that you can eat "unlimited calories" with this diet. She says she eats 2000 - 5000 a day.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    This will depend on how well you know your friend and what you're comfortable saying to her but eating that way long term is super dangerous so if that's what she's doing someone needs to tell her.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    honestly, that diet sounds like something most people try for three days before realizing that it's dumb.

If she's still doing it in a month and seems unhealthy, then bring it up.

• Options
    What in the heck would 57 bananas do to your pooping?

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    What in the heck would 57 bananas do to your pooping?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hcA8wFKhYY

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Huh... I wonder what that would do to her potassium levels.

57 banannas is 684% of your (her) daily recommended amount.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    That's going to be how I handle it moving forward, I think. I actually have no clue what she's eating every day, so I can't tell if she's doing this at all right now, or if she plans to...but knowing her as well as I do, I'm just really concerned about whether she would try this at all. I don't have full confidence that she'd stop after three days...or a month...if she was getting results. :\

Thanks for the input guys. I might ask her about it soon. We have plans to see eachother in July so I can try talking to her about it in-person then, too.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    Huh... I wonder what that would do to her potassium levels.

57 banannas is 684% of your (her) daily recommended amount.

I think potassium in food is relatively water soluble, so you probably just pee it out.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Yeah... at best she's just overworking her kidneys.

Good thing you can lose like 70% of your kidney function before you have symptoms!

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    yea, weights just a number. Are you fit and eating healthy? Those are my personal metrics. Am I strong and in shape enough to do the things I like to do at a level I like to do them at. Do I eat healthy and in a way that isn't destroying my body. Those are my goals though. Lots of people have different goals, like looking a certain way, or fitting into certain kinds of clothing. Those are completely valid too.

My thing is that the goals should come from the inside, and not pushed onto a person from the outside.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    The problem is that weight is sometimes a very important number. BMI is still used for certain things even though everyone and their mother will tell you that it's stupid and not that helpful.

If, for example, a woman would like to donate her eggs her application might not even be looked at if her BMI is considered too high.

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Sassori wrote: »
    The problem is that weight is sometimes a very important number. BMI is still used for certain things even though everyone and their mother will tell you that it's stupid and not that helpful.

If, for example, a woman would like to donate her eggs her application might not even be looked at if her BMI is considered too high.

Or could be refused certain medications, or even medical coverage

It's complete bullshit

• Options
    Companies are starting to make noise with their health insurance plans, making it mandatory to go get routine checks and visit with nutritionists. It's not hard to imagine a world where they start to tie BMI to premiums or some nonsense.

• Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    Companies are starting to make noise with their health insurance plans, making it mandatory to go get routine checks and visit with nutritionists. It's not hard to imagine a world where they start to tie BMI to premiums or some nonsense.

It's not hard to imagine because this is that world

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2009/10/as_bmi_goes_so_goes_your_insur.html

• Options
    wrong_buttonwrong_button Registered User regular

Yep. Last two companies I've worked for have had "Wellness Programs" that involved bloodwork, biometric screenings, meeting with health counselors. If you did as they say/passed their checks by a certain point in the year you got a substantial break on your monthly premium for the next year. It wouldn't surprise me to see that "discount" become high enough that it would more or less force participation (or become a penalty against your paycheck), especially for lower-income employees. Putting a weight/BMI goal, a blood pressure level, whatever isn't too far of a stretch.

Unrelated, I'm looking for tips to help with weight/strength progression on overhead presses. My progress has all but halted in terms of weight/development. Any of you guys who know more than me have a good idea of the number of reps/set to help push through where I'm stuck. Like the minimum reps in a set to still be effective, but help creep things along? I'm frustrated, so any thoughts would be welcome.

• Options
    Peccavi wrote: »

It's not hard to imagine because this is that world

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2009/10/as_bmi_goes_so_goes_your_insur.html

Behold! For I am Peenstradamus, bring me your questions and I will tell you what is to be!

• Options
    BMI is designed for measuring large swaths of people so I can see it working for a big time insurance company

• Options
    I'm judging my weightloss strictly by BMI (Burly Manboobs Index) and WVPB (Weiner Visible Past Belly). Currently the numbers are rather depressing.

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    WVPB is really the important scale

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    have you considered jelqing instead of lifting?

This discussion has been closed.