As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Divinity: Original Sin - Isometric RPG with tactical turn based combat

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Cabezone wrote: »
    Aegeri wrote: »
    This game is absolutely completely fantastic and a vindication of everything I have been saying about why RPGs should invest more in turn based combat for anything remotely tactical. It makes me so happy on every conceivable level.

I am so pleased to see a resurgence in Turn Based games as well.

We can only hope that turn based games catch on enough for more people to invest in making them. Divinity is still the top seller on steam.

They already are, just look at XCOM, Xenonauts, Civilization, Wasteland 2 (turn based isomeric RPG), the new Torment remake (turn based combat again), this, Europa Universalis, Transistor and so on (I'm forgetting many more!). I'm just glad to see so many of these games not only deliver on being absolutely fantastic, but excellent examples of different implementations and styles of turn based combat systems.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    Wow. I backed the game mostly because I know some of the people who work on the game, but it completely surprised me. Super awesome game.

Almost done with part 1 after 22 hours!

• Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    Kay wrote: »
    It's official. Madora is amazing.

"Hold on, y'all, what's what.... purring saaahnd? MAAAAHND CONTROL VAAAHBRASHUNS! Don't be sedoooced, com-raaayds!"

A lot of people find Madora grating or annoying, but I don't. She's pretty great.

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    I think I need to respec out of leech, it's made the combat trivial.

• Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    This game is absolutely completely fantastic and a vindication of everything I have been saying about why RPGs should invest more in turn based combat for anything remotely tactical. It makes me so happy on every conceivable level.

We can only hope that turn based games catch on enough for more people to invest in making them. Divinity is still the top seller on steam.

They already are, just look at XCOM, Xenonauts, Civilization, Wasteland 2 (turn based isomeric RPG), the new Torment remake (turn based combat again), this, Europa Universalis, Transistor and so on (I'm forgetting many more!). I'm just glad to see so many of these games not only deliver on being absolutely fantastic, but excellent examples of different implementations and styles of turn based combat systems.

I'll always buy new Civilization games because I'm a sucker for turn based grand strategy. The new XCOM really showed game companies that turn based tactical combat is something that people will still buy. Kickstarter has also allowed the players to dictate more of what type of games are coming out rather than publishers, which can only be a good thing for people who enjoy genres that have fallen out of favor in recent years. It carries some inherent risk in buying in, but I'd rather have that than yearly installments of AAA franchises where they must design to the lowest common denominator to chase that 1000% profit margin rabbit.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014

I'd argue Wasteland 2 to be an excellent implentation of turn-based combat.

Or at least its nowhere near the level of the other games mentioned.

Otherwise, yop.

C2B on
  • Options
    BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    C2B wrote: »

Otherwise, yop.

I was thinking about getting wasteland 2, its still technically "beta" right? But the whole game isn't there yet storywise or something?

Badwrong on
    Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    imdointhisimdointhis I should actually stop doin' this. Registered User regular
    Reddit has suggested that wasteland 2 is a buggy unplayable mess.

ymmv

had to go out of town and am so psyched to get home and start playing this again

• Options
    BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    Hmm, anyone here played it? For the most part I don't take reddit serious at all.

Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Badwrong wrote: »
    Hmm, anyone here played it? For the most part I don't take reddit serious at all.

I was a little disappointed when I tried it out last month, but that's mostly because the balance in the combat felt off - sluggish and rough. There was nothing that made me think the ultimate game would suck, just that it is too unpolished in its current state to be fun.

• Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    I also tried it a bit (saved Highpool) last month and it was mostly fine. Biggest annoyance to me was enemy crits - a melee boss had 9% chance of one-shotting any of my guys, even my high hp melee guy. That sort of completely random death was just stupid instead of difficult.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular

The art assets were a little uneven but even months ago but I felt like the game was coming together really well. I set it aside and figured i'd wait for release before playing it anymore.

• Options
    am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Mirkel wrote: »
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    I haven't put any points into sneak, pickpocket, or lockpicking.

IMO they should combine all three into one Skulduggery or Thievery skill, then it might be worth it. As it is, Sneak might be good if you max it but the other two aren't very important at all. In other games with those skills I often lament the fact I don't have them when I see potential opportunities to use them. In D:OS it just doesn't feel like they are worth the skill points.

Wish I could agree with this more. I have no issue with investing in one of them, lockpicking right now, but it'd be nice to invest in "Thieving" and get them all. As a melee Rogue, you have enough to worry about to stay alive than trying to spread yourself really thin with other "Rogue" skills.

• Options
    -The seller of secrets now only has 1 ability book and 1 stat book instead of regenerating those
    NOOOOOOO!

While it sucks, because I never got there, it did seem overpowered. =P I do wish they'd combine some skills, then (i.e. Thieving skills as one skill, Crafting as one (crafting + blacksmithing), maybe Barter+Charisma into one).

I also like the change on Weather the Storm. 10% per point seemed obscene. Only thing I'd love for them to change now is to add some more benefits to Scoundrel (i.e. Man At arms gives you HP, Resists, etc, Scoundrel gives you.. move speed.).

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    am0n wrote: »

IMO they should combine all three into one Skulduggery or Thievery skill, then it might be worth it. As it is, Sneak might be good if you max it but the other two aren't very important at all. In other games with those skills I often lament the fact I don't have them when I see potential opportunities to use them. In D:OS it just doesn't feel like they are worth the skill points.

Wish I could agree with this more. I have no issue with investing in one of them, lockpicking right now, but it'd be nice to invest in "Thieving" and get them all. As a melee Rogue, you have enough to worry about to stay alive than trying to spread yourself really thin with other "Rogue" skills.

I agree. It would be really nice if they lumped them together.

As an aside, once you start using stealth, your rogue will live through pretty much anything. Being invisible every round is easymode.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular

Just be sure not to sell anything with +lockpicking and you can probably keep up well enough with a set of gear dedicated to that.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Looking for a description of the new AI.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    Derrick wrote: »

I agree. It would be really nice if they lumped them together.

As an aside, once you start using stealth, your rogue will live through pretty much anything. Being invisible every round is easymode.

Sadly, not really planning to invest in Sneak. It seems like a very high cost to be useful. Maybe I'll be wrong and consider it down the road, but right now I'm just figuring a few points in lockpicking and then some items to bring it up further.

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Lockpicking is pretty useless. I have never found a locked chest or door that didn't have a key close by.

Sneak is pretty great once you get it to rank 5. Then it's only one AP to sneak in combat so you can just sneak + backstab all day long.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    Badwrong wrote: »
    C2B wrote: »

Otherwise, yop.

I was thinking about getting wasteland 2, its still technically "beta" right? But the whole game isn't there yet storywise or something?

It's nearing release soon.

It's an enjoyable game. It is kind of a mess, but thats because of a rather inexperienced (as in the core team. Lots of big names are helping out), small team overall + lots of outsourcing.

It very much has its moments and I would recommed buying it when it releases.

• Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    So, I went outside the city, and I am preeeeeetty sure that I wasn't meant to.

The level 5-6 enemies while I'm level 3 are tricky, but I'm managing. Though the arguments my party tend to have mean that I don't quite complete some missions like I want to.

Regarding the murder. I'm pretty sure I know who did it, I searched their house thoroughly, and the trail now leads northwest, out of the city. SHOULD I BE GOING THERE, or should I be doing more stuff around town? Honestly not sure what I -can- do around town.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I think you should be able to get level 4 (?) before leaving town if you kill everything in the graveyard and go down into the tunnel. I don't remember for sure. There are also some quests in town that can be completed that award experience. Also, each gate leads to a different area. If you go out the correct gate you should be fighting level 3/4 creatures instead of level 6.

am0n on
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    I believe the graveyard tunnel pops you out into the correct area.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    So I just reached Cyseal and ended up not joining
    The Fabulous Five. Was that a mistake? I haven't gone far and I am not adverse to recreating. I made a wizard and a cleric, seems like I may have missed out on a ranger companion? As nonspoilery as possible, are the Fabulous Five worth joining?

• Options
    There are level 3-4 enemies right outside the one gate without a door. West, I want to say? Not sure. But that's where you should be going. It'll be raining if you're in the right area.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    The Fabulous Five. Was that a mistake? I haven't gone far and I am not adverse to recreating. I made a wizard and a cleric, seems like I may have missed out on a ranger companion? As nonspoilery as possible, are the Fabulous Five worth joining?

You didn't join the Fab Five ? You didn't join the Fab Five ??!! That's it, de-install the game, smash your computer, reject all of your world possessions and join a monastery. You fail at gaming.

• Options
    Fairchild wrote: »

You didn't join the Fab Five ? You didn't join the Fab Five ??!! That's it, de-install the game, smash your computer, reject all of your world possessions and join a monastery. You fail at gaming.

Someone mentioned them earlier in regards to the murder and I was half paying attention and thought they were some secret murder company or something. And that guy outside the tavern is WAY TOO EXCITED.

Yeaaaaah I'm gonna reroll tonight.

• Options
    ElucidaElucida Registered User regular

Someone mentioned them earlier in regards to the murder and I was half paying attention and thought they were some secret murder company or something. And that guy outside the tavern is WAY TOO EXCITED.

I've joined the Fab Five in every game I played. If by "joined" you mean murdered after this first game, because screw those guys.

FFXIV: Sylvinae Mori
  • Options
    Also, are the two companions you can get in Cyseal the ONLY two companions, aside from henchmen?

• Options
    For now, yeah. They're adding more (that they say are more detailed/involved than the two existing) in a later patch.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    I didn't join the Fabulous Five. It sounded like a Ponzi scheme. I found out later that I wasn't missing much at all.

Don't worry about your decisions in the game. There are very few that are so important that they break the game, and they are pretty obvious. You can even kill most of the quest NPCs in the game and still end up finishing it.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    The biggest problem you will have, and it's unavoidable, is doing things out of order. Some times you miss neato events like the Troll-Zombie, whom I killed, only to find the "How to Talk to Troll Zombies" book literally 30 seconds later. Other times you can badly mess up the game by entering areas and killing bosses out of sequence, so that you don't trigger the narrative. I'm in the Snow Dimension at the moment and I think I may have done that; time will tell, but I have this nagging worry that I'll need to fall back to an old save and lose several hours of progress.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I wonder if I've done the same thing as you. One thing you might need to do is:
    Go back to the forge and break the staff by dragging it onto it from your inventory.

• Options
    I heard a recent patch broke End of Time portals. I've been on vacation, but has this been resolved?

• Options
    ValiantheartValiantheart Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    So I am having some trouble figuring out what i need to level and AP points.

I have a warrior and a mage at level 6.

The mage has 1 point in each elemental magic and 2 points in earth and fire magic. Does continuing to invest in magics increase spell potency and0 reduce spells costs or is it only the number of spells known? I'm kind of at a loss of what to do with the points now.

Likewise my fighter has 2 points in men at arms. Is it worthwhile to invest further? With the exception of a few skills 9 times out of 10 it seems like just doing regular melee is the way to go.

Also, how do you increase your AP per round? I've fought some mobs who can attack me 3-4 times a round with spells and/or melee. And they hit HARD too.

Valiantheart on
    PSN: Valiant_heart PC: Valiantheart99
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    More points in a school does decrease the AP costs, to a point. All spells will have a minimum amount of AP that are needed to cast them, unfortunately. I think most of them are AP 6, with Teleportation at AP 7, healing spells at AP 4, and some of the Touch range spells at AP 3. I also believe that they increase slightly in damage, although you are better off getting damage boost from Intelligence.

It is definitely worthwhile to increase Man at Arms (Rank 5 Man at Arms gives you access to Weather the Storm, which is a huge 25% buff to 4 elemental resists), but if it starts getting expensive for you, you can start pumping Body Building or your weapon skill instead. Both Flurry and the two skills that allow you to hit for an AoE are pretty good. I usually open with a Battering Ram to knock down a guy. I've occasionally used the Phoenix Dive to close the distance. There's also group buffs that can help during fights, especially when you are waiting for things to hit melee range.

The AP you get from round to round is called Recovery AP. You get about 1 AP per 2 points of Speed (a little less than that, something like 0.4). So equip a lot of Speed items. Rabbit's Paw Rings (Lucky Rabbit's Paw Rings also add Movement speed) can be crafted for a +1 Speed bonus (later +2 at around level 16-20, I think). You can also cast Wildfire (Pyromancy) or the Scoundrel's Haste ability to greatly increase your Recovery AP for a few rounds.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    So I am having some trouble figuring out what i need to level and AP points.

I have a warrior and a mage at level 6.

The mage has 1 point in each elemental magic and 2 points in earth and fire magic. Does continuing to invest in magics increase spell potency and0 reduce spells costs or is it only the number of spells known? I'm kind of at a loss of what to do with the points now.

Likewise my fighter has 2 points in men at arms. Is it worthwhile to invest further? With the exception of a few skills 9 times out of 10 it seems like just doing regular melee is the way to go.

Also, how do you increase your AP per round? I've fought some mobs who can attack me 3-4 times a round with spells and/or melee. And they hit HARD too.

Increasing your Skill Level increases the number of spells you can learn in that skill and allows you to cast advanced spells more efficiently. Some spells and talents will charge a higher AP cost because your skill level is too low, but I've yet to find anything that tells me which Skill Levels are needed for which spells, so I kinda made it up as I went along. Combat skills work the same way, but if you're only Level 6 you can probably leave your Men at Arms skill at 2 for now.

Your Speed rating determines the number of AP's you will have available per combat turn. You will want to boost Speed as much as you can as often as you can; luckily at Level 6 you are about to start finding lots of +Speed equipment. Personally, I tend to alternate between putting points into my prime class ability (Strength, Dexterity, Intelligence) and Speed.

• Options
    imdointhisimdointhis I should actually stop doin' this. Registered User regular
    I say... does that zombie have a flamethrower??

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular

To be fair, the sales pitch sounds like something out of a spam email trying to sell you something.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2014
    It's pretty much word for word an Amway pitch.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.