As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Monday, May 12, 2014 - Shroudsourcing

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited May 2014 in The Penny Arcade Hub
Unknown User on

• Options
    ScudMuffinScudMuffin MarylandRegistered User regular
    Love love love the art of panel one. Keep evolving, Gabe! I love watching your art grow to different styles. I hope this one is a 4th panel.

XBL: Scud FTW
    PSN: ScudMuffin
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Oh my.

Brilliance.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Soul SanctumSoul Sanctum Registered User regular
    Brilliant comic thanks to Jerry's great writing.

• Options
    roflstomproflstomp Registered User regular
    That pretty much sums up reviews from Yelp etc. It was either flawless and sublime (to the point where you wonder if it was an employee/marketer submission), or it is the worst place ever and is probably in the same zipcode as Satan. lol

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    When I saw the preview image on the main page, I thought it was going to be a new story arc; that first panel is Lookouts quality.

I guess Gabe had more time to work on it as the other panels are "just" text.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Is the first panel based on any known setting or universe? Or is it just a random representation of a fantasy RPG?

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    this is superb...

• Options
    faintpremonitionfaintpremonition Registered User regular
    I can hear the last 5 words in Jerry's voice.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Is the first panel based on any known setting or universe? Or is it just a random representation of a fantasy RPG?

Negative Material Plane being mentioned would suggest DnD.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I cuckled at "Our rogue lost a hand, but would still give this place two thumbs up."

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I was also wondering if this was based on a particular game or something.

My best guess is maybe the new Everquest with player created content or else Neverwinter? Both games, I think, have reviews of player-created content which could be fun to imagine in-character.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I was also wondering if this was based on a particular game or something.

My best guess is maybe the new Everquest with player created content or else Neverwinter? Both games, I think, have reviews of player-created content which could be fun to imagine in-character.

Maybe D&D Next. That is currently in Beta and likely has all kinds of "rate the content you just played paperwork"

• Options
    PinesmokePinesmoke Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    That first panel is some of the most beautiful art I've ever seen. Was Gabe not good enough already? Stop getting better!

Pinesmoke on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I only just realised that the month abbreviations aren't of regular months.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    I only just realised that the month abbreviations aren't of regular months.
    Oh, I had not seen that. I am now very interested in what they are.
    Harb. - Harbinger?
    Abr. - Abrogation?
    Coe. - ??
    Far. - ??

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    5 stars, would laugh again.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    the only thing missing is the random negative review from somebody whose bad experience has nothing whatsoever to do with the business

'this restaurant seemed pretty nice and the service was prompt, but then my mother had a heart attack and we had to run to the hospital. One star.'

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    GgrecoGgreco Maker of Arts Seattle, WARegistered User, Administrator, Penny Arcade Staff staff
    "Ensorcelled Locally" is my new favourite locavore term.

The unwritten joke of this comic is the fact that you don't even need to come up with a fake name for the review service. "Yelp" is already a play on words perfect for this scenario.

• Options
    CandymancerCandymancer Registered User regular
    The minotaur attacked me and seemed pretty mad when I went there. But it was more, like, disdain for being bothered on his break than proper hatred for humanity y'know?

• Options
    DexOZDexOZ Registered User regular
    "Our rogue lost a hand, but he would still give this place two thumbs up"

that one got me good, one of Jerry's gems, please for a fourth panel on this one

• Options
    TAFKAPTAFKAP Warrior-Jumper Registered User regular
    These reviews seem suspiciously fake. All the numbers, except 14 are contain elements near 23 or 32. Obviously, the 23 Enigma is evidence of this.

• Options
    FireflyarcFireflyarc Registered User regular
    Never Expected to see a Neverwinter Module 3 comic :D Awesome!

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    until the "Negative Material Plane" reference, I honestly thight this was something to do with Elder Scrolls Online.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    carboxymoroncarboxymoron Registered User regular
    I keep wondering how Yelp works in this world - is the scroll a regular non-magic scroll? Adventurers send their reviews to Yelp guild scribes who compile it? And you'd have to buy new scrolls next year if you wanted the latest reviews?

Or is it basically a magic iPad? In which case I would've gone with a stone tablet instead of scroll.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    I keep wondering how Yelp works in this world - is the scroll a regular non-magic scroll? Adventurers send their reviews to Yelp guild scribes who compile it? And you'd have to buy new scrolls next year if you wanted the latest reviews?

Scrolls from hell to breakfast.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular

Or is it basically a magic iPad? In which case I would've gone with a stone tablet instead of scroll.

Magical ink is much cheaper compared to a magical chisel, thank you very much. Not everyone has 500 gold to spare on top-of-the-line stone tablets.