As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dog Vs Crayfish [chat]

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    dating cultures can, in fact, vary, and in the US I have no doubt a lot of people will grow up in different dating cultures and consider their own universal and normal

this is probably something that is often not considered in the US

this is a country where, in one place, a woman will write about how dating is fundamentally different because you can never truly separate from your exes when they're always around on Twitter and Facebook and give thirty examples, and in another place, fifty-year-old men pose for creepy pictures in dusty valleys with their young virgin daughters before attending purity balls

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Also I don't mean to be that guy or backseat mod but I used to say homps a lot in [chat] and someone brought it to my attention that it came from a typo for "homos" so I know it ruffles some feathers in here.

Suddenly @Quid making a sign that said "Homptown" and putting it on his sofa and giving me a thing that said "Shivahn: Mayor of Homptown" makes so much more sense.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    enhanced-buzz-1092-1365268582-3.jpg

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    3) Read a book on anything other than what you studied in high school. Fantasy fiction is allowed, but discouraged. Anything from the New York Times hardcover fiction or hardcover nonfiction bestseller list is highly encouraged.
    what exactly is the goal of this one again

i read a lot of things

no one cares

i care elendil-chan

i care..

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Greg Gaffin's PhD thesis has an amazing title.

"Evolution, Monism, Atheism, and the Naturalist World-View: Perspectives from Evolutionary Biology"

The title is interesting.

The abstract is not.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    also i just looked up the red pill

holy christ this is fascinating

i feel like most explanations of misogyny miss the mark and don't really articulate the real reasons behind it, and i am always looking for earnest expressions of misogyny to try to wrap my mind around, so this is a goldmine

• Options
    jeffinvajeffinva Koogler coming this summerRegistered User regular
    Relationships are the best thing that ever happened to you when its starting. After, it's typically nothing but regret and pain. But not all of the time. Sometimes it's just good memories of plowing that poonani/mouth/butt/whatever.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I always thought "homps" was a variant of "humps."

As in, "the people I work with don't help out at all. They're all a bunch of lazy humps."

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Cinders wrote: »
    dating cultures can, in fact, vary, and in the US I have no doubt a lot of people will grow up in different dating cultures and consider their own universal and normal

This is one fun thing about being queer. There is a lot less cultural baggage in some ways.

Because the culture hasn't hit puberty yet?

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Someone sat next to me on a bus when there were spare seats next to other people. That concludes my list of things of things that happened today that didn't make me feel awful.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    _J_ wrote: »

This is one fun thing about being queer. There is a lot less cultural baggage in some ways.

Because the culture hasn't hit puberty yet?

Oh god this is so partially true.

• Options
    (but also there is totally some baggage, you just get by with a lot less weird "men act like THIS and women like THIS" for obvious reasons)

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    As a jock,

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    jeffinva wrote: »
    Relationships are the best thing that ever happened to you when its starting. After, it's typically nothing but regret and pain. But not all of the time. Sometimes it's just good memories of plowing that poonani/mouth/butt/whatever.

I kind feel like it's the other way around. I hate starting relationships. I like knowing somebody well.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    Taking off for a minute. I leave you with this.

In & Out > Dick's Drive-In

• Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular

I kind feel like it's the other way around. I hate starting relationships. I like knowing somebody well.

I tend to move too quickly in relationships because I like the level of comfort that comes with a well worn relationship. It creates problems because sometimes I realize I'm not super into the person until after I've kind of dove headfirst.

• Options
    @Variable‌

I'd have to go with Pipe Bomb because I stopped watching wrestling in like 6th grade and then happened to see Pipe Bomb and it made me look at wrestling analytically and now is a really fascinating form of narrative to me.

• Options
    Shivahn wrote: »
    (but also there is totally some baggage, you just get by with a lot less weird "men act like THIS and women like THIS" for obvious reasons)

It seems like a lot of it is negative baggage from having to define itself in opposition to previous standards.

That's changing.

But, you know, it hasn't been around for 500+ years to the same degree as hetero-normative whatnot.

• Options

They are both awesome and awful in varying amounts depending on the person.

I dislike the unease of starting a new relationship, but I like the suggestion, flirting, getting to know people, and so on.

I dislike if things feel stale later, but that's not necessarily a given and in any case is actually something you can do something about, and I like the companionship and support that comes with time.

Really they're both awesome in different ways.

• Options
    It's almost as if in any stage relationships are work.

:)

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    @skippydumptruck‌ does Sawyer like Winnie the Pooh?

Secondly, is he aware of Winnie the Pooh?

Third, if not, are you some kind of monster?

@stevemarks44 we tried to watch the old school pooh movie a few months ago but he lost interest as it went

he might like it a little better now

you're raising a monster

• Options
    It's almost as if in any stage relationships are work.

:)

At least according to Ben Affleck.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    as a baggage,

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Hey Jacob, you around?

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Just wrapped up attending a seminar at the Japanese Studies Centre and picking up a book at the university library

now to go home and scratch my balls for a few hours since I have done my work for the day

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    god damn y'all some sad sacks in here tonight

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular

I'd have to go with Pipe Bomb because I stopped watching wrestling in like 6th grade and then happened to see Pipe Bomb and it made me look at wrestling analytically and now is a really fascinating form of narrative to me.

I've said this before, but a moment with punk from like 05 or 06 got me into wrestling again as an adult. it, mixed with the way my cousin was into wrestling then, 100% brought me a new appreciation for the entire thing.

punk is the best wrestler on mic and I think and heyman the best manager. the sad part is, when they're together they're taking the mic from each other haha.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options

skippy I'm sorry it's just that life is hard sometimes.

You must forget that sometimes sitting in your gold plated throne watching LoL streams all day.

• Options

You must forget that sometimes sitting in your gold plated throne watching LoL streams all day.

excuse me a minute

*yells offscreen* I asked for those peeled grapes minutes ago where the fuck are they jeeves

sorry, what?

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I am not a sad sack!

I am about to crush the rebellion.

BECAUSE THAT'S HOW VADER DO

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxt0HAb6diI

• Options

It seems like a lot of it is negative baggage from having to define itself in opposition to previous standards.

That's changing.

But, you know, it hasn't been around for 500+ years to the same degree as hetero-normative whatnot.

Well, I'm mostly talking about stereotypes here. A lot of the baggage related to dating finds its base in "men are like this and women are like this" while the visible part is "men should do this and women should do this."

When's it appropriate to call? What if his first message is like this? If she doesn't respond after the second date? What are you supposed to do the second date, anyway? Who pays for dinner? What does it mean when they do? What if the other person doesn't want you to pay? How should he propose/when should he?

These all come up in various pairs* of dating, but a lot of the questions don't even make sense applied to gay people. Should the man pay for dinner? Uh, which man? Or wait, there aren't any men in this couple! Is it ok for a woman to propose? No, because neither of these guys is dating a woman/obviously otherwise no one would get married!

Being gay cuts down on a lot of this, as well as assumed sex scripts (eg, the natural progression of sexytimes). When you're queer none of that even works. Most queer couples don't even have the prerequisite scripted parts!

I forget what I'm supposed to be writing about.

Being queer: it's weird.

*or other arrangements, whatever

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Speaking of misogyny, I guess James Desborough has done something in the RPG field again.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Hey Jacob, you around?

yo!

• Options
    I want to take a bath but my tub is too small and cold @surrealitycheck‌

• Options
    send me something with claw feet from your estates

• Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular

Um I think there is some kind of misunderstanding here : (

Nobody is allowed to be sad now that skippy bought his gold plated throne office chair.

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular

but also fewer tracks that you can just effortlessly fall into

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular

That's changing.

Well, I'm mostly talking about stereotypes here. A lot of the baggage related to dating finds its base in "men are like this and women are like this" while the visible part is "men should do this and women should do this."

When's it appropriate to call? What if his first message is like this? If she doesn't respond after the second date? What are you supposed to do the second date, anyway? Who pays for dinner? What does it mean when they do? What if the other person doesn't want you to pay? How should he propose/when should he?

These all come up in various pairs* of dating, but a lot of the questions don't even make sense applied to gay people. Should the man pay for dinner? Uh, which man? Or wait, there aren't any men in this couple! Is it ok for a woman to propose? No, because neither of these guys is dating a woman/obviously otherwise no one would get married!

Being gay cuts down on a lot of this, as well as assumed sex scripts (eg, the natural progression of sexytimes). When you're queer none of that even works. Most queer couples don't even have the prerequisite scripted parts!

I forget what I'm supposed to be writing about.

Being queer: it's weird.

*or other arrangements, whatever

Improv sex!

"We'll just call this position the sea bass."

• Options
    Frosteey wrote: »

Um I think there is some kind of misunderstanding here : (

Nobody is allowed to be sad now that skippy bought his gold plated throne office chair.

omg frosteey this chair is so handsome but I tend to sit with one leg folded under and I have a giant fucking bruise on my thigh from where my leg bangs into the metal armrest

This discussion has been closed.