Options

The One [chat]

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    I wonder how Groo holds up. I remember liking it in the late 80s

@RiemannLives‌ as far as I know Groo is still considered a modern humor classic

I dunno if Marvel still publishes it or if they went independent

Groo went through a few publishers. When I started collecting it Groo was with Image.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    @y2jake215‌ sylvan esso

the beats in her songs are so good

they feel idyllic but still catchy

recommend me a few

this feels like a night where i sleep 3 hours before work

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    If there is one thing to be said about EU4, it is that the colonisation mechanics still need to be tweaked

Every game you end up with Russia failing to hit the edge of the continent and have Portuguese Siberia sitting at the end

Spanish Hokkaido is equally annoying

on the other hand I like that Brittany managed to stay independent for so long that they became a colonial power

I wonder what the Breton term for Australia would be in this timeline

simonwolf on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »
    If Thor suddenly showed up and splatted the Winter Soldier all over the pavement with Mjolnir, it wouldn't have been much of a movie.

But, yes, the point is valid.

This canard while mitigated by your admission of the validity of the main point is a particularly silly defence and one
    I thought you of all people would never stoop to.

it's not a bad defense if you can hand wave away their absence with a single line. it's not much of an objection if all they're really expected to do in a comic is say something like 'yeah thor is in some other dimension, iron man is on a bender somewhere and isn't checking his commlink and everyone else has a one liner that sounds appropriate. it's all up to you buddy.'

the reason thor wasn't there is because they didn't want him to be and also they didn't feel it was necessary to include a single line about his absence. natalie portman received this treatment in the avengers when they were like 'oh don't worry man she's on an island.' like that's somehow substantially better than her just not being in the movie

Nah. When it comes to creating a story "it had to be this way or there'd be no movie" is a bad defence because it didn't have to be any way - it is that way because it was written that way. In the case of the MCU it's a problem of competing motivations - telling a bunch of compelling what if stories - and corporate concerns - making bank by mashing them together. Plus the nature of the source material.

That it could be any way is the point. It's why it's the only defence that actually matters. Every conflict in fiction is artificial by it's very nature. Is the purpose of the work in question served by explaining why every single possible other way this could have gone down didn't happen? No. So you cover the bases that are most needful and you move on.

shryke on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular

its sold out : (

there has to be an alternate way of getting in somehow

SYLVAN ESSO

TUNE-YARDS

FUCK

http://www.stubhub.com/tune-yards-tickets/tune-yards-new-york-webster-hall-6-23-2014-9012462/

@Eddy‌
    @""Casual Eddy"‌
    FYI
    HTH

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I am becoming far too acquainted with 5 am and the previously theoretical hour that proceeds it

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Men's undergarments are awesome I utilize them in conjunction with pajamas.

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Apparently the Breton word for south is "Kreisteiz"

So maybe something derived from that?

• Options
    In general on the MCU though, I'd say Cap 2 is written such that there's no point where'd you'd think "They could just call X here and solve this shit". (also I kinda assumed Stark was dealing with IM3 at this point)

This will get alot more difficult as they add more heroes to the roster though.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »
    Apparently the Breton word for south is "Kreisteiz"

So maybe something derived from that?
    What is the Breton for "land of British criminals?"

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »

I'm nowhere close to the point of being able to wear mens clothes in an ironic, coquettish way.

Probably never will be, honestly. Which kinda sucks.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    House of M is pretty cool

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    55 dollah ... 15 dollars originally

i will bear this cross...

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Star Wars Rebels looks really good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_soLH5MWGOg

• Options
    On the other hand I think this week will get me to ba bronze. Which is the level that does cock all but is one step towards silver- the one that gives lounge access

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    y2jake215‌ sylvan esso

the beats in her songs are so good

they feel idyllic but still catchy

recommend me a few

this feels like a night where i sleep 3 hours before work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e_t_1vPhTY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qr5AIKRPIHo

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    its beaucoup fyi hth

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Jesus christ.
    Im loading garbage and tonight we left 5 lubs worth of spent citrus* halves.

*lemons and limes

• Options
    55 dollah ... 15 dollars originally

i will bear this cross...

she and her promoters will bear it more since they used dumb pricing.

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    in ChatFortress, a forgotten beast had crawled up into the fort from the caverns below.

@STATE OF THE ART ROBOT‌, equipped in steel plate armor and a short sword tried to hold the entrance hall that connects the fort to the underdark. The forgotten beast knocked him into the wall stunning him and damaging his stomach, kidney and left upper arm. But before the beast could finish the job the archer @LoserForHireX arrived and got a few crossbow bolts into it. This gave SOTAR time to get back on his feet and slay the beast in melee.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    2) genie

wish for like, a great sandwich. like, one of those crazy ones with bacon and avocado and like artisan bread and shit. yeah man. probably have some like kind of crazy mayo you can't even pronounce oh and there's potato chips on the sandwich already

I was once served a gyro with french fries in the gyro, instead of as a side.

It opened a whole new world for me.

• Options
    Star Wars Rebels looks really good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_soLH5MWGOg

All new characters. Nice

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    God, I read X-Force. That was such a blah book. Strong Guy? Feral.

Oh, and Generation X. All of those.

that whole thing happened a few years after i stopped comic books. i think i quit around 1986-88 or so.

then i would see all these liefeldian X titles in the supermarket with every character being some derivative of cable (the worst character this side of gambit btw) and it really made me not want to bother coming back

Pockets and pouches and ginormous pistols for miles . . . .

Man I now kinda wish he influenced women's fashion.

I literally picked my jacket today because it was the only thing I owned that I could wear with the other stuff and yet had a pocket.

Yeah, I have a hoodie that I wear all the time now because my wardrobe has no ability to store anything larger than a Zippo.

Did you see my wallet?

. . . Should I look in my hoodie?

I'm gonna be freaked out if it's in there. That's some David Blaine shit.

Too drunk to link

• Options
    P10 wrote: »
    its beaucoup fyi hth

urbandictionary has an entry for "bookoo" and that's all I need

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    is there a way to quit your job and easily absolve yourself of all familial and romantic obligations without struggling to live

asking for a friend

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    If Thor suddenly showed up and splatted the Winter Soldier all over the pavement with Mjolnir, it wouldn't have been much of a movie.

This canard while mitigated by your admission of the validity of the main point is a particularly silly defence and one

it's not a bad defense if you can hand wave away their absence with a single line. it's not much of an objection if all they're really expected to do in a comic is say something like 'yeah thor is in some other dimension, iron man is on a bender somewhere and isn't checking his commlink and everyone else has a one liner that sounds appropriate. it's all up to you buddy.'

the reason thor wasn't there is because they didn't want him to be and also they didn't feel it was necessary to include a single line about his absence. natalie portman received this treatment in the avengers when they were like 'oh don't worry man she's on an island.' like that's somehow substantially better than her just not being in the movie

Nah. When it comes to creating a story "it had to be this way or there'd be no movie" is a bad defence because it didn't have to be any way - it is that way because it was written that way. In the case of the MCU it's a problem of competing motivations - telling a bunch of compelling what if stories - and corporate concerns - making bank by mashing them together. Plus the nature of the source material.

That it could be any way is the point. It's why it's the only defence that actually matters. Every conflict in fiction is artificial by it's very nature. Is the purpose of the work in question served by explaining why every single possible other way this could have gone down didn't happen? No. So you cover the bases that are most needful and you move on.

I disagree entirely.

In the case of the MCU I think that it needs to be realised that the scenario is not one size fits all, it lends itself to particular kinds of stories and not others. As you do rightly point out in your follow up post this is a relatively minor issue at present for the MCU but becomes much more intense as the roster expands.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Geth, recycle the thread on page 100

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative Jacobkosh. Thread will be recycled after 100 pages.

• Options

I disagree entirely.

In the case of the MCU I think that it needs to be realised that the scenario is not one size fits all, it lends itself to particular kinds of stories and not others. As you do rightly point out in your follow up post this is a relatively minor issue at present for the MCU but becomes much more intense as the roster expands.

That's the price for a shared universe.

• Options

I disagree entirely.

It lends itself to every story. It's just that not all stories are the same so what is relevant to the purpose of the work changes.

It's not like we go around complaining about the physics of Iron Man's suit or anything.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Ugh the China team at work is so helpless it is endlessly frustrating. They are supposed to be programmers. I can't debug every single syntax error they get, they need to be at least the tiniest bit self sufficient! But they figured out that if they blame my work for their problems, my boss will eventually get desperate and call me in to fix everything and there is no penalty for them, so it looks like self sufficiency is not in the cards.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    simonwolf wrote: »
    If there is one thing to be said about EU4, it is that the colonisation mechanics still need to be tweaked

Every game you end up with Russia failing to hit the edge of the continent and have Portuguese Siberia sitting at the end

Spanish Hokkaido is equally annoying

on the other hand I like that Brittany managed to stay independent for so long that they became a colonial power

I wonder what the Breton term for Australia would be in this timeline

Australia is Latin, so it might still be Australia!

Or it might be like New South Arvor or something boring.

Not having played EU4, is it the fault of the colonization mechanics, or because Russia sucks at fighting off the eastern empires like Sibir (or just has different priorities)? If it's the latter, it might be a good idea to modify Russian missions. That's something you can mess around with on your own if you think it's worth the effort. Maybe even look up mods... Paradox has a really active mod community, which is where they get most of their strength from.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular

I disagree entirely.

That's the price for a shared universe.
    That's my point...

• Options
    We really need to bring back the word "Pennamite" instead of boring old "Pennsylvanian."

• Options
    Irond Will wrote: »
    God, I read X-Force. That was such a blah book. Strong Guy? Feral.

Oh, and Generation X. All of those.

that whole thing happened a few years after i stopped comic books. i think i quit around 1986-88 or so.

then i would see all these liefeldian X titles in the supermarket with every character being some derivative of cable (the worst character this side of gambit btw) and it really made me not want to bother coming back

Pockets and pouches and ginormous pistols for miles . . . .

Man I now kinda wish he influenced women's fashion.

I literally picked my jacket today because it was the only thing I owned that I could wear with the other stuff and yet had a pocket.

Yeah, I have a hoodie that I wear all the time now because my wardrobe has no ability to store anything larger than a Zippo.

Did you see my wallet?

. . . Should I look in my hoodie?

I'm gonna be freaked out if it's in there. That's some David Blaine shit.

Too drunk to link

Oh, whisky mouse, is it?

Be good, hon :)

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2014

I'm nowhere close to the point of being able to wear mens clothes in an ironic, coquettish way.

: (

It's ok, I will singlehandedly supply all the ironic coquette the world can handle.

Shivahn on
  • Options
    Alright, babs. Sleepy time for Atomika.

You guys are alright.

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Alright, babs. Sleepy time for Atomika.

You guys are alright.

G'night you crazy diamond.

488W936.png
  • Options

: (

It's ok, I will singlehandedly supply all the ironic coquette the world can handle.

Aw, but I wanted just a little :(

I don't think you can be a coquette at 6'2”. That's in a rulebook somewhere.

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Ugh the China team at work is so helpless it is endlessly frustrating. They are supposed to be programmers. I can't debug every single syntax error they get, they need to be at least the tiniest bit self sufficient! But they figured out that if they blame my work for their problems, my boss will eventually get desperate and call me in to fix everything and there is no penalty for them, so it looks like self sufficiency is not in the cards.

eww

aRkpc.gif
This discussion has been closed.