Options

The One [chat]

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Atomika wrote: »
    If Thor suddenly showed up and splatted the Winter Soldier all over the pavement with Mjolnir, it wouldn't have been much of a movie.

But, yes, the point is valid.

This canard while mitigated by your admission of the validity of the main point is a particularly silly defence and one
    I thought you of all people would never stoop to.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    conversely, that segmentation of the MU is what is currently letting it have great comics run alongside Hickman pressing the EVENT button over and over again, whereas NuDCU is dragging down all their stuff. so.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    If Thor suddenly showed up and splatted the Winter Soldier all over the pavement with Mjolnir, it wouldn't have been much of a movie.

I figure with Thor, he's like, off in his own dimension and they don't really have a good way to contact him. He just kinda shows up when something from his world leaks out into ours. And Banner is always off hiding somewhere, trying to remain calm and keep his shit together. So no Hulk is always plausible. Can't imagine he'd be a huge help or easy to contact either. But man, Stark would have fuckin' seen that shit going down!

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Domino appreciation society meeting may now come to order

/me bangs gavel

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Winky wrote: »
    Of all classic comic series, I think X-Men has by far the most interesting things to say.

Though, I would figure this might be a relatively uncontroversial thing to say.

I dunno, there are a lot of contenders

X-Men is very directly relevant to issues we are dealing with right now but there are also comics that have dealt very well with the issues of their day or just kind of with timeless personal themes

or even certain ethnic/cultural baggage in disguise, like all the little ways in which Spider-Man is more or less coded as Jewish

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

I figure with Thor, he's like, off in his own dimension and they don't really have a good way to contact him. He just kinda shows up when something from his world leaks out into ours. And Banner is always off hiding somewhere, trying to remain calm and keep his shit together. So no Hulk is always plausible. Can't imagine he'd be a huge help or easy to contact either. But man, Stark would have fuckin' seen that shit going down!

He was fighting PR battle as Hydra was using his shit to try and take over the world.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    I've never really read Domino though, so she isn't on the list

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular

Stark was probably on a chlorophyll bender, soaking up some rays.

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    I wonder how Groo holds up. I remember liking it in the late 80s

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Of all classic comic series, I think X-Men has by far the most interesting things to say.

X-Men is very directly relevant to issues we are dealing with right now but there are also comics that have dealt very well with the issues of their day or just kind of with timeless personal themes

or even certain ethnic/cultural baggage in disguise, like all the little ways in which Spider-Man is more or less coded as Jewish

Lot's of superheroes are coded as jewish

probably due to the demographic makeup of the comics industry at the time

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Professor X

Duh

• Options

I am intrigued. Please tell more.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    As someone who basically only knows the 90s superhero cartoons and the modern movies, I don't understand how any of these universes, letalone the ones that have been joined together, manage to come up with plotline after plotline where there is a plausible threat on a planetary scale. There are too many people who are too powerful that should come out of the woodwork when the stakes get high enough.

The last Captain America movie was great but it was all the suspension of disbelief I could muster to try and forget that Tony Stark could have and probably should have been there helping out a bit.

Winter Soldier spoilers
    They did need to clarify why the other Avengers weren't called. Anyway, there were reasons I gathered why Cap and Widow stayed in the shadows - Stark would have been monitored by HYDRA (He's too big a threat to not know where he is 24/7 or whose calling him, they can kill at him all they need is an opportunity when he's not in his suits, like from a sniper or poisoning his food/drink - when cap was being hunted they'd have made him a higher priority to neutralize/monitor asap). He would have been useful for destroying the Helicarriers, though.

Hawkeye is in Afghanistan, Pierce probably made sure he wasn't in America for this very reason.

They don't know Thor is on Earth and if they did had no way to contact him, he hasn't got a cell phone. However, Black Widow should know who Jane is and work from there.

They had no time. Things moved too fast too quickly, they can't risk going to Stark or Jane themselves since they were on a tight schedule.

Cap should have called Stark after his speech in the Triskelion, though.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    doesn't the MCU imply that Cap and Stark meet only rarely, and only via their SHIELD-arranged club

which makes sense if they're the only two heavy hitters, rather than the Avengers literally having pages and pages and pages of reserve members and Cap and Stark sitting at the head by virtue of seniority. Handling all the EVENTS because everyone else can deal with the bank robberies or what have you.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus
    God, I read X-Force. That was such a blah book. Strong Guy? Feral.

Oh, and Generation X. All of those.

that whole thing happened a few years after i stopped comic books. i think i quit around 1986-88 or so.

then i would see all these liefeldian X titles in the supermarket with every character being some derivative of cable (the worst character this side of gambit btw) and it really made me not want to bother coming back

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    @y2jake215‌ sylvan esso

the beats in her songs are so good

they feel idyllic but still catchy

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus
    edited May 2014
    Cyclops
    Kitty Pryde
    Beast
    Nightcrawler
    Colossus
    World-Weary Mohawk Storm With Knife-Fighting Action
    Banshee
    Psylocke
    Cannonball (Nothin' Can Hurt Me When Ah'm Blastin')
    Bishop
    Rogue

am basically with you but whoa there bishop?

also if you are counting new mutants then colossus' sister was kind of a fun character.

psylocke seemed like she could have been cool but they just stuffed too much into her. she was a proper english lady with psychic powers who then three issues later somehow became an asian woman who was also a ninja and it was just kind of too much i thought. it felt like writers were fighting.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options

Parker was Jewish in the Ultimate universe. :)

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »

This canard while mitigated by your admission of the validity of the main point is a particularly silly defence and one

it's not a bad defense if you can hand wave away their absence with a single line. it's not much of an objection if all they're really expected to do in a comic is say something like 'yeah thor is in some other dimension, iron man is on a bender somewhere and isn't checking his commlink and everyone else has a one liner that sounds appropriate. it's all up to you buddy.'

the reason thor wasn't there is because they didn't want him to be and also they didn't feel it was necessary to include a single line about his absence. natalie portman received this treatment in the avengers when they were like 'oh don't worry man she's on an island.' like that's somehow substantially better than her just not being in the movie

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Magik is kind of bad ass.

I think my think with Psylocke is which Psylocke?

There is no other Storm outside of Mohawk storm.

I do have a love for Beast.

And his girlfriend the head of SWORD.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I always thought it funny that the Thing was Jewish.

Superman is Methodist, btw

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »

its sold out : (

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Apothe0sis wrote: »

it's not a bad defense if you can hand wave away their absence with a single line. it's not much of an objection if all they're really expected to do in a comic is say something like 'yeah thor is in some other dimension, iron man is on a bender somewhere and isn't checking his commlink and everyone else has a one liner that sounds appropriate. it's all up to you buddy.'

the reason thor wasn't there is because they didn't want him to be and also they didn't feel it was necessary to include a single line about his absence. natalie portman received this treatment in the avengers when they were like 'oh don't worry man she's on an island.' like that's somehow substantially better than her just not being in the movie

Jane wasn't going to save Cap in Winter Soldier, Thor is a different matter.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »

that whole thing happened a few years after i stopped comic books. i think i quit around 1986-88 or so.

then i would see all these liefeldian X titles in the supermarket with every character being some derivative of cable (the worst character this side of gambit btw) and it really made me not want to bother coming back

Pockets and pouches and ginormous pistols for miles . . . .

• Options
    Cyclops
    Kitty Pryde
    Beast
    Nightcrawler
    Colossus
    Banshee
    Psylocke
    Bishop
    Rogue

also if you are counting new mutants then colossus' sister was kind of a fun character.

She died

She was awesome though

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    I need Progressive Boink to put out another 40 worst Liefeld drawings. This is like breathable air and potable water to me.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    i have an adolescent crush on magik 5ever so i guess my eventual black metal thing was inevitable

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Monitor crisis averted. I am dumb and put the HDMI cable in the wrong slot.

God what manner of nerd builds a computer and then makes this kind of rookie mistake.

488W936.png
  • Options
    Eddy wrote: »

its sold out : (

there has to be an alternate way of getting in somehow

SYLVAN ESSO

TUNE-YARDS

FUCK

• Options

but he is also moses tho so

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    psylocke seemed like she could have been cool but they just stuffed too much into her. she was a proper english lady with psychic powers who then three issues later somehow became an asian woman who was also a ninja and it was just kind of too much i thought. it felt like writers were fighting.

she can be all of those things

*pout*

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    best character is definitely jubilee

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

Pockets and pouches and ginormous pistols for miles . . . .

Man I now kinda wish he influenced women's fashion.

I literally picked my jacket today because it was the only thing I owned that I could wear with the other stuff and yet had a pocket.

• Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular

of course, the blandest of all religions

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    why isn't iron man saving the day in this captain america movie I am a mad nerd

• Options
    was it claremont who made her an asian ninja

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Cyclops
    Kitty Pryde
    Beast
    Nightcrawler
    Colossus
    Banshee
    Psylocke
    Bishop
    Rogue

Bishop is a black policeman who accidentally traveled back in time from the cyberpunk future amd can absorb energy and redirect it as lasers from his hands. I like him because in his world being mutant is pretty normal and he's not super neurotic or hung up about it, so he uses no codename ("Bishop" is just his last name IIRC) and his identity is wrapped up in being a tough middle-aged cop guy instead. He gets a job as a private detective solving murders involving mutant powers.

• Options
    today I wore a tank top and tight shorts and was forced to carry a bag for my shit

i burned a bra in solidarity

This discussion has been closed.