As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Tokusatsu] Invisible Ghosts & Colorfuly Loud Ninjas (Kamen Rider Gemn Sequel!)

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    I don't think I've ever heard Masahiro Inoue expressing any dislike about playing Decade. Outside of Kuuga's Joe Odagiri (who I've heard may not be as opposed to replaying Kuuga as is popularly known), usually the Rider actors seem to be generally fine with coming back with the major roadblocks to that being more their acting schedule in other works and their representative agencies trying to keep them away their old Toku-roles.

• Options
    Sorry for the double-post but this screenshot for next week's Ex-Aid episode looks to promise some real fun even as things are winding down.
    nUAXVZs.jpg

Seeing as Kuroto butted in on Ghost's ending, it's only fair he be the one to welcome Build crashing in on Ex-Aid's. I do wonder if this will connect in some way to the stinger of Ex-Aid's True Ending movie.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Got my SHFSS Kamen Rider Eternal preordered, can't wait for this guy, though all the tiny Memories could be a nightmare

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    So, anyone wanna see Build in action thanks to this week's Ex-Aid?

EDIT:

Owenashi on
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    I'm surprised no one posted the pictures from the intro to Gamescom earlier this week. I laughed pretty hard when I saw them.

o464q5mp2ghz.jpg

I mean I suppose it wasn't posted because it's not really related to Toku at all, but still it's pretty funny.

• Options
    edited August 2017

A trio of V-Cinemas were announced for Ex-Aid with the airing of the final episode: Brave & Snipe, Para-DX with Poppy, and Genm Vs Lazer. And as seen at the end of the video there, there's going to be a new Gashat...
    ...which is a recolored version of the Maximum Mighty X Gashat, based on Genm.

EDIT: Here's some poster/covers for the Ex-Aid Trilogy.
    ulom89W.jpg
    uVuk1D4.jpg
    0j5zBnH.jpg
    7aEeVb2.jpg

EDIT 2: And here's a good look at the new Gashat.
    IcWOBnk.jpgOt5DDz0.jpg?1

Owenashi on
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    The final episode of Legend Heroes went up on YouTube today.

I really can't recommend it enough. This show was very well-plotted, had very memorable, likeable characters. It still sidelines all the female characters for the males, which is unfortunate. Still, I enjoyed it thoroughly, and really wonder what the production team is up to now. It makes me want to watch more Korean shows to see what else the cast has done.

The theme song played over the final battle, and it's a shame the YouTube episodes never included the opening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0ReLmtXMbs

Ex-Aid also just finished and I can't believe how much I wound up enjoying this show, or what crazy places it went to. I hated almost all the suits, and for the first several episodes I didn't like any of the characters, but at some point I found myself genuinely invested in the plot and world and I even wound up liking Emu, which I never expected to.

Geed continues to be very good. I don't know if I enjoy it quite as much as I did Orb (Naomi was such a strong lead), but there's no one I dislike and Zero's host is my favorite, tied with Intense Sword Girl. I loved
    that Zero got a new form! Didn't expect the old suit to get a new suit

Kyuranger's plot is getting very interesting, I think it's a great move to split up the team the way they are, even if I still wish they would just lose all the suit rangers.

Jimothy on
  • Options
    qcPdW3R.jpg

Because getting both a post-series Movie Wars film and direct-to-video trilogy wasn't enough, Ex-Aid's also getting a second Hyper Battle video. According to Heroshock, the plot involves Emu and Parado getting stuck within a game called Nazo Toki Labyrinth (The Mysterious Labyrinth Of Time). Getting out of it will (like the previous HBV with Lazer) involve Emu getting a 'Mighty Action X'-ed version of another Rider's game though this time it's a sequel to Parado's Knockout Fighter. The reason why Perfect Puzzle's not getting it's own sequel may have to do with the reappearance of the Hatena Bugster as seen in the scan behind the two Riders.

• Options
    I finally finished ToQger!

The suits and mecha are ugly and those first twenty or so episodes are a slog (I kept falling asleep), but once you get to the villain wedding, the plot finally takes off and it's really engrossing (and surprisingly touching) from there on out. The main cast really grew on me, and Zett was a really interesting villain-- especially right at the end when he's clearly just resigning himself to his role.

Question for anyone who watched as it was airing-- did most fans have the big twist figured out a couple episodes in? I already knew it because they show up in Zyuohger, but it sure seemed like it was immediately obvious.

My one complaint is that I wish there was some resolution to Tokachi/Mio, but given their ages, it makes sense to leave it hanging

Now onto that ninja Sentai
    Kakuranger is streaming on Shout Factory. I know to avoid Ninninger, even if they have some of the raddest suits in Sentai history

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Been watching Kamen Rider Gaim. About 30 episodes in. As my first Kamen Rider series, it's been interesting to see how different it is compared to sentai shows. Tons of drama here, and a lot of focus on plot. And while a lot of sentai episodes are self-contained or two-parters, Gaim is purely serialized. Nothing gets tied up neatly by the end of an episode. It always just ends, and the next episode picks up where we left off. It's a very different experience from sentai, and it's really engrossing to see the characters develop and change as the show progresses.

Is this sort of drama focus and story structure common among Kamen Rider shows?

• Options
    Some are sillier than others, Gaim is pretty dark (it was also my first Rider series and I loved it). Most have two-part arcs, but even then it still leads into the next two. They just often spend two episodes fighting a monster where Sentai does it in one.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    Been watching Kamen Rider Gaim. About 30 episodes in. As my first Kamen Rider series, it's been interesting to see how different it is compared to sentai shows. Tons of drama here, and a lot of focus on plot. And while a lot of sentai episodes are self-contained or two-parters, Gaim is purely serialized. Nothing gets tied up neatly by the end of an episode. It always just ends, and the next episode picks up where we left off. It's a very different experience from sentai, and it's really engrossing to see the characters develop and change as the show progresses.

Gaim is a bit more dramatic and darker than typical, which is funny because the theme is so goofy

If you like Gaim, I personally think Ryuki is the closest to it, but just some overall solid Rider shows are W, OOO, and Drive.

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Exaid is everything gaim wanted to be

• Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    Exaid is everything gaim wanted to be
    God it is isn't it

Right down to the way everyone changes alliances with surprising speed

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I'll have to look at W, OOO, and Drive. I also heard that Fourze is good, and the suit design is pretty great. On the flipside, the suit designs for Exaid are absolutely repellent to me, so I can't see myself watching that.

• Options
    I'll have to look at W, OOO, and Drive. I also heard that Fourze is good, and the suit design is pretty great. On the flipside, the suit designs for Exaid are absolutely repellent to me, so I can't see myself watching that.

Like they're saying (while phrasing it to push their diabolical anti-Gaim agenda), Ex-Aid is the closest to to Gaim. Most shows only have two Riders, Gaim and Ex-Aid are all about warring factions of Riders and shifting alliances. The suits are hideous, but it's a really good show

Ghost is the opposite, where the suits are amazing but they run out of story fast and so there's like 30 episodes of nothing interesting

W, OOO, Fourze, and Drive are all great though

• Options

Gaim is a bit more dramatic and darker than typical, which is funny because the theme is so goofy

If you like Gaim, I personally think Ryuki is the closest to it, but just some overall solid Rider shows are W, OOO, and Drive.

Gaim is the way it is thanks to Gen Urobuchi writing pretty much all of it. Gen or 'Urobutcher' as some fans call him is best known for his major deconstruction of magical girl stories with Puella Magi Madoka Magica and went about Gaim roughly the same way, going as far as claiming he was going to put kids off of orange juice around the end of the first story-arc.

Ryuki is fine though from what I've seen via a multi-part review by Des Shinta, there were some problems with the story if only because unlike Gaim and Ex-Aid which had one writer covering the whole thing, head-writing duties were split between Yasuko Kobayashi and Toshiki Inoue, the two not quite syncing up when it came to plot and characterization supposedly which led to some disjointed story beats. And it probably didn't help that Inoue's writing tends to circle around everyone being a jackass and miscommunication to avoid proper team-ups though it wasn't until after Ryuki that he'd get somewhat infamous over it in later works.

• Options
    Sorry for the double-post but the opening-sized version of Build's theme 'Be The One' has come out, complete with a mini music-video to show it off.

• Options
    Jimothy wrote: »

Like they're saying (while phrasing it to push their diabolical anti-Gaim agenda), Ex-Aid is the closest to to Gaim. Most shows only have two Riders, Gaim and Ex-Aid are all about warring factions of Riders and shifting alliances. The suits are hideous, but it's a really good show

I haven't watched Ex-Aid, but is it really closer to Gaim than Ryuki? Ryuki is all about the Rider War. It's like Rider Highlander, there can only be one.

And yeah Owenashi, nothing compares to Faiz when it comes to misunderstandings/miscommunication

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah but gaim' s plot eventually diverts from standard rider war stuff

Ex-Aid is a rider war, then it isn't, then it kinda is again

• Options
    edited September 2017

In Ryuki, everyone for the most part wanted the wish granted by taking out everyone else while Ryuki himself just wanted to deal with the Mirror Monsters that were getting agitated enough to start pulling people into their world to eat. The only reason there was a hint of a Rider War in the first story-arc Of Ex-Aid was because of the secondary Riders having their own takes on how to deal with the Bugster Virus. They all had some drama associated with it so it kept them from seeing the others' point of view much less Emu who's the only one of the four not to have some traumatic event happen to him because of it and was treated like some over-idealistic moron who had no business getting involved with it. And as much as the secondaries' jackassery aggravated the hell out of me during the first story-arc, it was fine because it didn't last because they gradually grew out of it in light of other things happening. Miscommunication and misunderstanding keeping teamwork from happening is fine as long as it's not some stupid petty thing that lasts nearly the entire story. Which is probably why a lot of folks don't like Kamen Rider Taisen.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    I finally finished ToQger!

The suits and mecha are ugly and those first twenty or so episodes are a slog (I kept falling asleep), but once you get to the villain wedding, the plot finally takes off and it's really engrossing (and surprisingly touching) from there on out. The main cast really grew on me, and Zett was a really interesting villain-- especially right at the end when he's clearly just resigning himself to his role.

Question for anyone who watched as it was airing-- did most fans have the big twist figured out a couple episodes in? I already knew it because they show up in Zyuohger, but it sure seemed like it was immediately obvious.

My one complaint is that I wish there was some resolution to Tokachi/Mio, but given their ages, it makes sense to leave it hanging

Now onto that ninja Sentai
    Kakuranger is streaming on Shout Factory. I know to avoid Ninninger, even if they have some of the raddest suits in Sentai history

As quite possibly the only person on the planet that watched ToQger as it was airing and enjoyed it (other than the beginning with you basically nailed on the head)...

But yeah, I had figured out the main cast twist by like, the 2/3 part or so, with the Right stuff being more of a surprise just because of how dark it was for a show that was otherwise pretty child-friendly.

As for the Blue/Yellow stuff, I expected them to pick it up a bit in the movies with them having a, like, playground romance, but they didn't really and it felt like a loss of something that would be cute. I dunno. It definitely had the potential to be weird, and at least it wasn't that.

• Options
    Owenashi wrote: »

In Ryuki, everyone for the most part wanted the wish granted by taking out everyone else while Ryuki himself just wanted to deal with the Mirror Monsters that were getting agitated enough to start pulling people into their world to eat. The only reason there was a hint of a Rider War in the first story-arc Of Ex-Aid was because of the secondary Riders having their own takes on how to deal with the Bugster Virus. They all had some drama associated with it so it kept them from seeing the others' point of view much less Emu who's the only one of the four not to have some traumatic event happen to him because of it and was treated like some over-idealistic moron who had no business getting involved with it. And as much as the secondaries' jackassery aggravated the hell out of me during the first story-arc, it was fine because it didn't last because they gradually grew out of it in light of other things happening. Miscommunication and misunderstanding keeping teamwork from happening is fine as long as it's not some stupid petty thing that lasts nearly the entire story. Which is probably why a lot of folks don't like Kamen Rider Taisen.

I've never seen Ryuki, it sounds a lot like Legend Heroes. That's the one that got brought over here as Dragon Knight, right?

• Options
    Legend Heroes is Better Ryuki yeah

• Options

I've never seen Ryuki, it sounds a lot like Legend Heroes. That's the one that got brought over here as Dragon Knight, right?

Oh yeah, Dragon Knight. I never actually watched any of that.

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options

Oh yeah, Dragon Knight. I never actually watched any of that.

4Kids screwing around with the airing of episodes (to the point that the final episodes were only watchable on their website) probably helped with it. I did enjoy what I saw, like the theme song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfPkOE3GqC0

Then like Power Rangers SPD, it got sent to Japan with a dub and a new theme song which was also pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXxMLJTyuu0

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Emmy award winning Kamen Rider Dragon Knight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drXMlZTN6xI

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Emmy award winning Kamen Rider Dragon Knight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drXMlZTN6xI

For stunt-work but yes, it did win an Emmy. Shame it wasn't enough for another Kamen Rider series to be brought here but DK did do pretty well I think. This I believe was the scene that earned them that Emmy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7nY2Tij_Kg

And the show did more with it's source-material's sole lady Rider, unlike Ryuki...
    ...who only brought her out for a movie and then got unceremoniously killed halfway through it.
    Though maybe DK could have toned down the male-gaze portion of her intro just a tad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8T8EKOwNj4

Owenashi on
  • Options
    Something I forgot to mention about ToQger: It has the best looking Putties I've ever seen

I was reminded because I watched some Kakuranger last night and it has a dance number during the credits like modern Sentai, but instead of the team, the Putties do the dance

• Options
    Kakuranger rules

• Options
    The black ranger is constantly speaking English and I understand it but none of the characters can and it's great

• Options
    Something I forgot to mention about ToQger: It has the best looking Putties I've ever seen

I was reminded because I watched some Kakuranger last night and it has a dance number during the credits like modern Sentai, but instead of the team, the Putties do the dance

ToQger had amazing villains just across the board tho

• Options
    Kamen Rider Build's first episode has aired and it didn't take long for it's main fight to pop up on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tr_JloedI0M

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Didn't take long for it to be pulled, either.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    True. Ah well, here's something nearly as good; an ad for a new Kamen Rider Climax game.

https://youtu.be/7kD_u7PNVFw

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    There's also the Gummy ad, that you could never get away with showing on the US.
    3sqknx2k5dd5.jpg
    On Build, trying to get into Toku again, and it looks really great.
    Killing the monster with Math was awesome.
    Helps that's there's no super cringey comedy character like Akiko or Poppy or the monk guy from Ghost. Those tend to kill my interest really fast.

• Options
    Akiko owns

Also Build is Gay Culture

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Akiko owns

Also Build is Gay Culture

I saw the entirety of OOOs. Build is fairly tame so far.

• Options
    Build's tagline is "Heated Drama Between Men" or "Hot Action Between Men" depending on which translation you like

This discussion has been closed.