Options

The [Final Fantasy] Thread: FF XV on Siesta, Partake in the Fiesta.

• Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Blackjack wrote: »
    I think my biggest issue with XII is that it really started Square's whole obsession with optional fights that are long and tedious thanks to the approximately 750 quadrillion HP the boss has but not actually difficult at all.

They really haven't made enough games since to say its an obsession.

I mean the weapons were tedious and just took a simple trick.

Omega was a plodding aura/heroism fight.

Ozma was a slog.

Then Nemesis. Oh yes, lets not forget just how much of a pain it was to unlock him either.

Angra Mainyu... Boo.

I'd say it more just put the capstone on their bullshit. 13's 'superbosses' weren't that bad, really. Definitely toned down and something you could blitz fairly quickly. (Well not counting how much of a pain weapon upgrading could be sometimes.)

13-2 even moreso.

I've yet to play LR so I can't really say about that one.

That's a bit of an understatement. With the right preparation FFXIII probably has overall some of the fastest fights in the series. What's different though is that you can't really cheapen the systems like in a lot of the other titles.

C2B on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Not unless you do a New Game+.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I'll take Angra Mainyu over Dullahan making me fight without djinn.

• Options
    bssbss Brostoyevsky Madison, WIRegistered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I'm finishing IV DS for some reason, and I'm at the four fields gauntlet. I forgot how tough this version is.

I can't reassign the Augments, can I?

No, you can't; they persist over NG+, you can only do three NG+ runs before you have to start a legit New game, some of the Augments have counter-intuitive requirements, and some of the coolest Augments only happen once ever. Augments had the makings of being totally cool (I'd like something akin to Demon Gaze Artifacts, on my mind since they just came up in another thread) but the limitations in how they were implemented were a total buzzkill to me.

3DS: 2466-2307-8384 PSN: bssteph Steam: bsstephan Twitch: bsstephan
    Tabletop:13th Age (mm-mmm), D&D 4e
    Occasional words about games: my site
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    You want to give at least two augments to temporary party members, in order to get their unique skills as augments later on. Edward is something of a top priority, since he isn't with you long.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    C2B wrote: »
    I think my biggest issue with XII is that it really started Square's whole obsession with optional fights that are long and tedious thanks to the approximately 750 quadrillion HP the boss has but not actually difficult at all.

Ozma was a slog.

Then Nemesis. Oh yes, lets not forget just how much of a pain it was to unlock him either.

Angra Mainyu... Boo.

I'd say it more just put the capstone on their bullshit. 13's 'superbosses' weren't that bad, really. Definitely toned down and something you could blitz fairly quickly. (Well not counting how much of a pain weapon upgrading could be sometimes.)

13-2 even moreso.

That's a bit of an understatement. With the right preparation FFXIII probably has overall some of the fastest fights in the series. What's different though is that you can't really cheapen the systems like in a lot of the other titles.

Yeah I mean it isn't like you can use poison and just Gestalt mode up to stop him from using his aura thus murdering him in like 5 minutes.

..Oh wait you can. Lulz FFXIII you so silly.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Shen wrote: »
    Yeah Yiazmat is the worst thing they've ever done (though Penance got cheesed by Yojimbo and Trema got iced by Catnip, so I dunno how those fights actually hold up).

...I really should go play X-2 remaster.

In the HD remaster of X-2, they made catnip put perma berserk on or something so you can't use it with gunner to wreck Trema. I actually look forward to seeing how I end up doing it this time around, but after getting the plat trophy for X HD I had to break for some other games first so haven't even started X-2 yet.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    I would say I'm being overly reasonable (which can translate to "optimistic" in Square-related matters, granted): all I need to not lose the bet is have Square acknowledge the existence of FFXV in TGS.

That's entirely possible.

.....well it is.

What if they announce that there is a new FFXV being made, and the game formerly known as XV (and Versus-XIII) is now XVI?

Turns out the tech demo, Agni's Philosophy, really is FFXV

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    C2B wrote: »

Ozma was a slog.

Angra Mainyu... Boo.

13-2 even moreso.

Yeah I mean it isn't like you can use poison and just Gestalt mode up to stop him from using his aura thus murdering him in like 5 minutes.

..Oh wait you can. Lulz FFXIII you so silly.
    Thats intended for that particular boss and not universally applicable. And you can actually beat him legimite faster.

C2B on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    I would say I'm being overly reasonable (which can translate to "optimistic" in Square-related matters, granted): all I need to not lose the bet is have Square acknowledge the existence of FFXV in TGS.

That's entirely possible.

.....well it is.

What if they announce that there is a new FFXV being made, and the game formerly known as XV (and Versus-XIII) is now XVI?

Turns out the tech demo, Agni's Philosophy, really is FFXV

I would actually prefer that to the (obviously) little I've seen of XV.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    I really enjoyed XII, problems not withstanding.

In fact one of my biggest complaints stems from one of the things I loved about XII, the open world. The open world was fucking awesome, but it made getting from plot point to plot point a chore. There were more than a few times that I'd required a bit of a plot refresher by the time I reached the next one. :P

Still, if taking a lot of time to get from plot points is the price I'd have to pay to have an open world FF game over an on rails corridor-fest, then I'd gladly pay it.

I didn't mind the scope of the setting. I tend to like a bit of travel time in games like these because it gives the setting a bit of connective tissue that makes it feel like an actual place. Places like the Sandsea, with the giant oil refinery, are amazing.

XII's biggest flaw, IMO, is its opening. It starts off so great with the opening cinematic and the tutorial level that actually has meaning to the plot. And then we're transferred to Vaan where we literally have to do errands for the shop owner. It's such a jarring transition, and the menial labor/dumb kid scheme portion of it takes far too long, with Penelo nagging the entire time. Things don't really pick up until Basch enters the story.

After that, it's solid. A bit slow in its pacing, but it ramps up and things start coming together. Those first few hours, though? Painful.

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Well, this is surprising....it turns out Squall had a much broader vocabulary beyond "Whatever": http://fyeahffviii.tumblr.com/post/72672083380/squall-whatever-leonhart

Thanks for that Prof. I always enjoy reading translations. I wasn't following how 悪かったな became "sorry" until the end. I like "my bad" since it's closer to the literal translation, and it's such a roundabout way of apologizing that I would never have translated it as such. It's always amazing to me that a language as inherently vague as Japanese does such a good job of expressing the emotional state and relation between the speaker and listener. One day I'll go back and play every FF game in the native language and see how it changes my opinion on them.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Square Enix announces Dive In: stream Final Fantasy XIII and more to mobile devices
    Square Enix is launching a new service in Japan on October 9 that will let you stream games like Final Fantasy XIII, The Last Remnant, and Murdered: Soul Suspect using cloud technology to your smartphone or tablet.

The service will be delivered through a new app called Dive In. At launch, the following games will be available:

Final Fantasy XIII
    • Three Days – 250 yen (plus tax)
    • 10 Days – 510 yen (plus tax)
    • 30 Days – 1,250 yen (plus tax)
    • One Year – 1,800 yen (plus tax)

Final Fantasy VII International
    • Three Days – 200 yen (plus tax)
    • 10 Days – 400 yen (plus tax)
    • 30 Days – 1,000 yen (plus tax)
    • One Year – 1,429 yen (plus tax)
    Season of Mystery: The Cherry Blossom Murders
    • Three Days – 150 yen (plus tax)
    • 10 Days – 300 yen (plus tax)
    • 30 Days – 800 yen (plus tax)
    • One Year – 1,185 yen (plus tax)
    Each game comes with a free 30-minute trial.

In November, the service will introduce Final Fantasy VIII and The Last Remnant, followed by Final Fantasy XIII-2 and Murdered: Soul Suspect in December, and Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII in 2015.

The app will work on both iOS and Android-supported mobile devices. You’ll need a Square Enix account and a Wi-Fi connection of at least 3mbps.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    RaziyaRaziya An Scrub VermontRegistered User regular
    Anyone else have Curtain Call yet? I ordered the collector's edition from Square Enix and it shipped pretty early, I got it on Thursday. I've been playing it like crazy whenever I have not been working/prepping to move.

The new mode that replaced the Chaos Shrine is pretty interesting. I feel like sometimes they might be a little long. I am doing the long quest right now and I think once I finish it it will have taken me a solid hour or so of play.

The way you unlock characters and earn shards is much better now too. You earn several at once and can pick which character you want to unlock from a group of 4-6 per shard.

I love the game, I put 80 hours or so into the first one so was wondering if anyone else really loved it like I did. :)

156594_03fef74545a6b3c8.png
    Current obsession: Overwatch Battle.net: Raziya#1552
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Oh shit, that officially comes out tomorrow? Guess I'd better preorder it tonight. I'm super excited for the game but totally forgot to actually order it. I think I sunk around 70 hours into the first one.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Well, that flew right under my radar.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Hopefully I'll be able to download it at midnight, the eshop is currently down.

• Options
    RaziyaRaziya An Scrub VermontRegistered User regular
    I noticed the shop was down. I don't know if they had any day one DLC songs but I have 25 Nintendo funbucks and I want all the music ever

156594_03fef74545a6b3c8.png
    Current obsession: Overwatch Battle.net: Raziya#1552
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    I tried the demo the other day and liked it a lot more than I was expecting. My copy should show up tomorrow at some point.

• Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    My copy comes in tomorrow as well! I tried the original demo awhile back and held off on buying it because of Curtain Call. Can't wait to dive back in.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Eshop is up, game isn't. I did get the demo, though. Pretty good choices for the demo songs, I think.

• Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    The eShop is technically up but Nintendo's website still says its down and has ongoing maintenance. (They actually extended the time from 1PM to 11PM PST) I think if its not up soon I'm going to bed.

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    jothki wrote: »
    Eshop is up, game isn't. I did get the demo, though. Pretty good choices for the demo songs, I think.

Only first party games are available at Midnight. It won't be up until tomorrow at 9AM Pacific/Noon Eastern

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I'm playing through FF7 (for like the 20th time). I need a little help with the Emerald Weapon.

I have Cloud's final weapon, limit break, W-Summon, and the Final Attack. I'm more having issues with killing him within the time limit. I have Phoenix at level 4 and Final Attack at 3 so I can withstand at least 3 of his auto-wipe attacks.

Knights of the Round is level 3 and I cast that immediately when getting in there (does 9999 a hit). I enter the fight with 3 Limit breaks, and Cloud is level 81-ish.

Any suggestions? Should I be grinding a bit more in the underwater plane for Sources? I don't remember having to do that when I was a kid.

• Options
    DraguscloudDraguscloud Registered User regular
    You can get the underwater materia to remove the timer. (Morph a ghost ship and trade that item to the man in Kalm.)

Emerald is also weak to Demi so you can use that while saving KotR and limits for the eyes. Also that auto-wipe attack only does 1111 x number of materia on a character, so it might be better to take out some materia for this fight.

• Options
    Oh my God I could kiss you @Draguscloud, thank you.

• Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    You can also use the Lucky 7 trick if you really want to cheese the fight. Just wait until Cloud (or whoever you want to use) has a hit point count ending in 7, and heal him up to 7777. He will do a lot of damage to begin the fight, and then you can take the Emerald Weapon down pretty quickly after that.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    There are a lot of fun ways to cheese emerald, some taking more work than others.

My personal favorite is pairing 4 pairs of mime+counter, using omnislash, then when he attacks you, counter attacking with 4 omnislashes. =) final attack+phoenix is generally useful on emerald. Yeah you can also equip only 2 materia on people so they have 9999 hp, then his one attack does 2222 giving you lucky 7s.

• Options
    Haha that's awesome, and hadn't thought of that.

Shit I forgot about the Mime materia... Is that from chocobo racing? I think I'm so tired of doing that that I'll just try another way.

• Options
    My way of cheesing emerald weapon was I played on the PC version where the timer was janky as hell so even without underwater materia I had about an hour to do the fight in realtime.

• Options
    My way of cheesing emerald weapon was I played on the PC version where the timer was janky as hell so even without underwater materia I had about an hour to do the fight in realtime.

The Steam re-release certainly fixed it, which is a shame. :(

• Options
    edited September 2014
    urahonky wrote: »

The Steam re-release certainly fixed it, which is a shame. :(

Yeah, it was probably some fucked up interaction between the game and whatever Pentium processor/graphics card I was on at the time.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Yeah I owned the PC port at one point in time but couldn't really enjoy it with a keyboard. And I was too poor to buy a controller for my PC so it just sat there, collecting dust.

e: I realize that this doesn't really add anything to the discussion.

urahonky on
  • Options
    ReverseCreationsReverseCreations Registered User regular
    I wish I remembered what I did when I took out Emerald recently. I didn't have the underwater materia, and I think I had cloud maybe around 90ish. I think it was a mater of having not maxed Materia, but enough that it was like every 2-3 hits allowed Cloud to use Omnislash, while healing inbetween...not 100% sure I just know Emerald has never felt like the weapon I have to grind to prep for, unlike Ruby, though with the Steam edition I did eventually just give in on Ruby and went full cheese mode of using KOTR + HP Absorb, with the occasional Hades to slow and paralyze Ruby and the 2 arms.

On a slight side note. Picked up Curtain Call this morning....I put about 70 hours into the first...I foresee myself surpassing that total in some excess in Curtain Call o_O

1C54320038BDF735D2D088D168D6275F7F2FBE3C
  • Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    If you don't use the Underwater materia, you pretty much have to maximize your damage vs animation time. Which means demi or attack spamming if you can get your attack damage super high (especially with something like 4x Cut). Relying on summons or other effects with long charge times doesn't work because of how much of the timer it eats up.

This also applies to Phoenix. Better to make sure you can always destroy the eyes rather than waiting for Phoenix's charge time. Maybe even try linking Final Attack to a Life materia instead, just for clock management reasons (as Phoenix has very poor damage). Of course the time required to pull the whole party up may be countered by this...

Who are you using other than Cloud? Effectiveness of Lv4 Limits varies widely among the characters, and you'll definitely want three people with Lv4 limits.

Probably best if you can heal with Regen, too, just so you're not having to waste too many turns casting healing spells. You're keeping Mighty Guard (Big Guard) on as well, yeah?

Fleur de Alys on
    Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Guys.

Guys.

GUYS.

Curtain Call.

It's SO GOOD.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    korodullin wrote: »
    Guys.

Guys.

GUYS.

Curtain Call.

It's SO GOOD.

I think I spent 60-70 hours on the original. I'm moving things around on my SD cards right now to clear up enough space to download Curtain Call and have it with me all the time.

Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    korodullin wrote: »
    Guys.

Guys.

GUYS.

Curtain Call.

It's SO GOOD.

Here's a list of some available DLC. What I really want to point out is this:
    * = In a nice surprise, "Battle 2" from Final Fantasy V and "Roses of May" from Final Fantasy IX are free until Tuesday, September 30th. Go download them sooner rather than later!

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Sony's TGS conference is going to feature Type-0.

There are also "surprise announcements" which doesn't mean it will be FFXV or anything but it's going to be and you better get your wallet ready @vagrant_winds

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    What day is SE presenting?

This discussion has been closed.