Options

The [Final Fantasy] Thread: FF XV on Siesta, Partake in the Fiesta.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    You're late bud.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I really hope that they learn some important lessons from the FFXV development hell or release a monthly twenty-minute documentary during the development of FFXVI to try and help fund it. Because I really want to see how something can take so damn long.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    I really hope that they learn some important lessons from the FFXV development hell and release a monthly twenty-documentary during the development of FFXVI to try and help fund it. Because I really want to see how something can take so damn long.

Step 1) Be utterly incompetent

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    I really hope that they learn some important lessons from the FFXV development hell or release a monthly twenty-minute documentary during the development of FFXVI to try and help fund it. Because I really want to see how something can take so damn long.

I just want to see endless repeats of "It's Tuesday and after two years of working on the latest version, senior management have announced that it has to be set in an underwater utopia and appeal to today's microtransaction playing casual tablet gamers", "Friday morning, and Brian is threatening to jump out of the window as everything he's done for the last eight years of his life has just been thrown away on a whim"

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited September 2014

I just want to see endless repeats of "It's Tuesday and after two years of working on the latest version, senior management have announced that it has to be set in an underwater utopia and appeal to today's microtransaction playing casual tablet gamers", "Friday morning, and Brian is threatening to jump out of the window as everything he's done for the last eight years of his life has just been thrown away on a whim"

"So, it's the second anniversary of Brian's death and management has come around to his ideas. I hope you guys saved your previous work."

"The release of Final Fantasy XV marked the single greatest loss of Japanese life in peace time. How did such a tragic event unfold? In this 24 part series we will explore the events that lead up to this tragedy. While the events you are about to witness have been dramatized they are based on first hand accounts, interviews, and personal emails. Warning, the following is rated TV-MA and is not suitable for young children."

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    @professor snugglesworth That is a sucker's bet, Snuggs.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Didn't Matsuno leave FFXII because all the stress from the extreme executive meddling on his vision made him physically ill?

I dunno, I'd say thats iffy. Dude in the past seemed really emotional. Like you know, not showing up for work for over a month when Sakaguchi left for Mistwalker because his feels hurt or something?

Even things like Vaan seemed to have been in the game since way at the start (Interviews from the actual characters designers and such say Vaan was the first character drawn.)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Vaan was always in the game, he was just one of your party members while Basch took the reins. Penelo was the one who they forced him to create.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    Vaan was always in the game, he was just one of your party members while Basch took the reins. Penelo was the one who they forced him to create.

He's quoted as saying he wanted Balthier, not Basch, as the main. Vaan was always going to be the main character as far as Square and designers were concerned. Balthier was shot down before they even really ramped up seemingly.

FF12 really is surrounded by a lot of hearsay.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Vaan is the main character of the game insofar as the game makes you control him in town. That's it though. That game has no main character anyway though, just a main cast. If you had to choose a main character for the story though, it has to be Ashe though IMO.

I never hated Vaan anyway. I hated the fact that they made a girl version of him that's exactly the same except without losing his brother and tried to pass her off as a meaningful character though. Like, I can't think of a single reason Penelo exists in the game other than so Vaan has an orphan friend and so they could use her to get kidnapped. Vaan at least hated Basch(wrongly but still it drove his character) and wanted to be a pirate and was all yeah let's go adventure i'm tryna learn to fly airships.

• Options
    Yeah, I never had a problem with Vaan other than game trying really hard to make him the main character when he really was just a background guy.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    @professor snugglesworth That is a sucker's bet, Snuggs.

He wasn't willing to bet against me for no The Last Guardian mention at least.

He maybe be overly optimistic, but he at least isn't suffering from clinical insanity.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    I would say I'm being overly reasonable (which can translate to "optimistic" in Square-related matters, granted): all I need to not lose the bet is have Square acknowledge the existence of FFXV in TGS.

That's entirely possible.

.....well it is.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Well, this is surprising....it turns out Squall had a much broader vocabulary beyond "Whatever": http://fyeahffviii.tumblr.com/post/72672083380/squall-whatever-leonhart

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    He mostly said "Sorry."

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Square hiring people for a new studio focused on making RPGs on consoles.

http://www.xn--rpg-l46fv4g868aqu6a.com/index.html

Anyone who wants to make a "now FFXV starts development" joke, you've been beaten to the punch about an hour ago.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Square hiring people for a new studio focused on making RPGs on consoles.

http://www.xn--rpg-l46fv4g868aqu6a.com/index.html

Anyone who wants to make a "now FFXV starts development" joke, you've been beaten to the punch about an hour ago.

What madness is this? Doesn't SE know that people don't play JRPGs on consoles? What is this? 1994?

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Oh, don't worry. I'm sure they'll say it doesn't make financial sense to localize whatever this team makes.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    soon: square enix has officially internally classified iPad as a console

• Options
    edited September 2014
    I mentioned this in another thread, but I believe the best solution to Square's whole porting concerns is to create games that can be easily played and ported on any console.

Instead of debating whether Dragon Quest XI should be on 3DS, iOS or PS4, just put it on all three! Create a base game, pass it around different machines and have each version take advantage of its capabilities. 3DS has dual-screens, PS4 has enhanced visuals, etc. It's still the same game, but you give the customers more options on how they choose to play it.

Wasn't that the whole point of their Luminous Engine? I know this is what Kojima sought to do with the Fox Engine (and so far he's making good on it). I'm sure localizing a game would look a lot more financially attractive when you have the option to release it on every known machine.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Every game should be on every system. Everyone wins!

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    That input on all the FFIV versions was timely; I didn't realize there was a PSP version that looked as good as that one (I really enjoy the new artwork) and I've been dying to play through a version that wasn't the SNES one. I've only ever played that one so it's all I know of one of my favorite FF's.

As for XII, I really envy the alternate universe version of me that is playing the complete version of the game, in HD. What I wouldn't give to have the storyline completed and not rushed at the end. It is still my favorite FF by a rush hour traffic mile. And I had no idea that Square were apparently going to give XII the HD treatment if X/X-2 sold well. Glad I did my part!

• Options
    If Final Fantasy XII came out entirely as Matsuno intended, with a complete story that fleshed out all of its characters and a climax that wasn't a literal out of left field "time for a final boss!" moment, I truly believe it would have been the greatest Final Fantasy in the series, and the stepping point for future FFs to emulate its style and quality.

Instead what we got was a decent entry. And that's what makes it so unforgivable for me.

• Options
    If Final Fantasy XII came out entirely as Matsuno intended, with a complete story that fleshed out all of its characters and a climax that wasn't a literal out of left field "time for a final boss!" moment, I truly believe it would have been the greatest Final Fantasy in the series, and the stepping point for future FFs to emulate its style and quality.

Instead what we got was a decent entry. And that's what makes it so unforgivable for me.

Ya and with his drag ass design it would have come out in.. like, 2008. Like, you know, two years after the PS3 would have already launched and the PS2 was winding down. Way after games like .hack//GU would have already stolen the spotlight so its design would have looked like a copycat instead of something unique.

Oh, and it probably would have gotten absolutely demolished by Persona 4.

But hey I mean look at all the great stuff he's done since then! ...Crimson Shroud? ...Yeeeeep.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    It's not like FF12 wasn't already really good. It's really overblown how "out of left field" the later parts of the story are anyway. It's a competent game, and in fact really really good.

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    I didn't give a crap about the story or characters in FFXII.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »

Thanks for sharing.

• Options
    Enlong wrote: »
    wirehead26 wrote: »

Thanks for sharing.

In fairness I loved the battle system and overall design. But man was everything else so bland.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

Ya and with his drag ass design it would have come out in.. like, 2008. Like, you know, two years after the PS3 would have already launched and the PS2 was winding down. Way after games like .hack//GU would have already stolen the spotlight so its design would have looked like a copycat instead of something unique.

But hey I mean look at all the great stuff he's done since then! ...Crimson Shroud? ...Yeeeeep.

Neither .hack/GU nor Persona was a sales threat to Final Fantasy during the Ps2 era. By the time of FFXIII-2 and what not... maybe.

• Options
    Oh and the music was really good.

• Options

Neither .hack/GU nor Persona was a sales threat to Final Fantasy during the Ps2 era. By the time of FFXIII-2 and what not... maybe.

If XII had come out any later then it did, it would have fallen even further behind X's sales numbers.

I mean it barely sold more then Dragon Quest 8. DQ8 was a pretty fantastic game, don't get me wrong, but it was a pretty nameless franchise outside of the target japanese audience.

But man they sure made bank off of.. wait, no, their financials were shitty in 2006 too. Especially compared to their output.

You know what did make bank? Persona 4. So much bank it got movies, anime, live action productions and was nothing but pure liquid profit for its parent company. Like seriously.

If they'd dragged out XII another couple of years, it would have not made any profit at all. (If it even did. Gods know. financial PDFs point to 'possibly'.)

But hey if FFXV has taught us anything, it's people love waiting 5~7 years for a game, right? Just builds the hype.

All that hype.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    I would say I'm being overly reasonable (which can translate to "optimistic" in Square-related matters, granted): all I need to not lose the bet is have Square acknowledge the existence of FFXV in TGS.

That's entirely possible.

.....well it is.

What if they announce that there is a new FFXV being made, and the game formerly known as XV (and Versus-XIII) is now XVI?

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I really enjoyed XII, problems not withstanding.

In fact one of my biggest complaints stems from one of the things I loved about XII, the open world. The open world was fucking awesome, but it made getting from plot point to plot point a chore. There were more than a few times that I'd required a bit of a plot refresher by the time I reached the next one. :P

Still, if taking a lot of time to get from plot points is the price I'd have to pay to have an open world FF game over an on rails corridor-fest, then I'd gladly pay it.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    FF12: The biggest issue is that progression is like this, at least when I play

Hard Hunt Boss --> Hard Zodiac Boss --> Hard Hunt Boss --> Epic Story Cutscene then Story boss... that dies in 2 hits.

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    I think my biggest issue with XII is that it really started Square's whole obsession with optional fights that are long and tedious thanks to the approximately 750 quadrillion HP the boss has but not actually difficult at all.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Blackjack wrote: »
    I think my biggest issue with XII is that it really started Square's whole obsession with optional fights that are long and tedious thanks to the approximately 750 quadrillion HP the boss has but not actually difficult at all.

They really haven't made enough games since to say its an obsession.

I mean the weapons were tedious and just took a simple trick.

Omega was a plodding aura/heroism fight.

Ozma was a slog.

Then Nemesis. Oh yes, lets not forget just how much of a pain it was to unlock him either.

Angra Mainyu... Boo.

I'd say it more just put the capstone on their bullshit. 13's 'superbosses' weren't that bad, really. Definitely toned down and something you could blitz fairly quickly. (Well not counting how much of a pain weapon upgrading could be sometimes.)

13-2 even moreso.

I've yet to play LR so I can't really say about that one.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Omega's actually really fun to fight without Heroe/Holy War items.

Dat' Defend command.

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Yeah Yiazmat is the worst thing they've ever done (though Penance got cheesed by Yojimbo and Trema got iced by Catnip, so I dunno how those fights actually hold up).

...I really should go play X-2 remaster.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Digital Devil Saga. The Demi-Fiend.

S-E isn't the worst example of super bosses. :)

Honestly though, I think it's more of a general design flaw of the traditional RPG. If you boil the mechanics down to their most primitive, molecular level, what is it? One side verses the other, rolling a die around until one size hits zero. How do you make that "harder"? It's not like a platformer where you put more challenging jumps in. Or a racing game with more curvy roads. Even most strategy rpgs have the whole chessboard like mechanic to utilize, where the location of the piece is just as important as its damage. But the standard "4 guys on the right, big monster on the left, back and forth" game? You either add a gimmick (from the mundane "it might cast a dangerous status effect" to the elaborate (early FF game's tradition of having a boss with a form you didn't attack for a while). Or you just make the numbers bigger.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    And just think, the Demi-Fiend only has 12,000 HP!

I'm finishing IV DS for some reason, and I'm at the four fields gauntlet. I forgot how tough this version is.

I can't reassign the Augments, can I?

wVEsyIc.png
This discussion has been closed.