As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[E3] 2014 - Games games and more games!

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    zllehs wrote: »
    If they aren't announcing a Final Fantasy Tactics for something I don't really care much. FF is kind dead to me and has been since after X. Fans are still screaming for a FF7 HD remake but even that sounds boring now.

If they announced a new FF Tactics for Vita, it would make me strongly consider buying one.

FFX was 13 years ago everyone.... Let that sink in for a little bit...

Yup. I am old. I've tried some of the new FF's and I just don't care for it anymore. I liked Bravely Default (which I consider a FF entry) but mostly because it allowed me to customize the hell out of it to the point that it wasn't a traditional mechanic.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    I'm really looking forward to Nintendo's lineup. They're gonna need to knock it out of the park and I think they will.

Other than that..Bethesda and Bioware I guess.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    nusunusu Registered User regular
    I'm hoping to see more of the smaller Ubi games like Child of Light and Valiant Hearts announced, and I'm hoping more of the larger devs have similar type projects to announce this year. I think those types of games are great, and would like to see more of them between the huge AAA releases.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    If they aren't announcing a Final Fantasy Tactics for something I don't really care much. FF is kind dead to me and has been since after X. Fans are still screaming for a FF7 HD remake but even that sounds boring now.

If they announced a new FF Tactics for Vita, it would make me strongly consider buying one.

Yup. I am old. I've tried some of the new FF's and I just don't care for it anymore. I liked Bravely Default (which I consider a FF entry) but mostly because it allowed me to customize the hell out of it to the point that it wasn't a traditional mechanic.

I'm still of the opinion that Lost Odyssey was the last great FF game. Although Bravely Default is a pretty close contender. :P

As to E3. . . man I just don't know.

Apart from new gen consoles, I feel like we get more megaton news from PAX than E3.

I suppose if Capcom shows off Dragon's Dogma 2 I'd be pretty satisfied. Deus Ex 4 as well, though I think we'll see Last Guardian before that ever happens. :(

I'd be surprised if SE doesn't show off FFXV, especially since FFXIV:ARR turned in to a massive success for them.

Although. . . this is the first E3 since the new Gen launched, I suppose there could very well be some megaton news laying in wait.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    For all you Last Gaurdian Hopefuls out there i was listening to IGN's Podcast Beyond and they made the argument that because of its long and treacherous development cycle Sony can't show this game and then make us wait another year for it. If it is re-revealed this E3 we should have it in our hands by February 2015 at the latest.

Hahahhahahahahahhaa....

• Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    The way Phil Spencer has been talking MS supposedly has a ton of games to show, and what with them announcing stuff early that I'd have been sure was E3 stuff (new Kinect-less sku, Halo: Guardians, big Sunset Overdrive blowout) makes me want to believe it. Not sure that I do, but I want to.

I'd love for another Dead Rising 3 situation, ie MS pays for a sequel to a beloved game that the publisher is reluctant to pay themselves. If it were to happen I'd say Mirrors Edge 2 or BG&E 2 would be the most likely candidates, as in both cases EA and Ubi don't exactly seem to be all that excited about the prospect of making said game.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    All I want, everything I want, is a trailer for Zelda U

Anything else on any platform is just gravy

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    The way Phil Spencer has been talking MS supposedly has a ton of games to show, and what with them announcing stuff early that I'd have been sure was E3 stuff (new Kinect-less sku, Halo: Guardians, big Sunset Overdrive blowout) makes me want to believe it. Not sure that I do, but I want to.

I'd love for another Dead Rising 3 situation, ie MS pays for a sequel to a beloved game that the publisher is reluctant to pay themselves. If it were to happen I'd say Mirrors Edge 2 or BG&E 2 would be the most likely candidates, as in both cases EA and Ubi don't exactly seem to be all that excited about the prospect of making said game.

they've also pushed Quantum Break back to Gamescom, so MS really do need to an impressive line-up to justify all the pre-E3 announcements they've made. at the very least i'd say MS must be pretty confident with what they'll be showing. we'll find out soon* if that confidence is warranted.

*but not soon enough damn it!! why isn't it next week yet???

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular

Customizing the hell out of your party goes as far back as FFV.

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    Rehab wrote: »

Although I'm a big fan of 8-4 Play and their E3 centric podcasts more than anything else they have to offer, it sucks that Mark MacDonald is not present once again. I'm sure it is a good episode still, but that is nonetheless a huge bummer.

JJ is trying so hard to avoid spilling a secret during the Nintendo section. The E3 podcasts will be awesome.

Oh boy, I just had an idea.
    In one of the latest podcasts he mentioned that he was working on a game which involved translating a lot of "skills".
    Maybe they are localizing Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem? Wouldn't be too much of a stretch since they worked on Awakening.

Wasn't that John?

But yeah, he was trying so hard.

What if it turns out it was just an MMO? :P

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    For all you Last Gaurdian Hopefuls out there i was listening to IGN's Podcast Beyond and they made the argument that because of its long and treacherous development cycle Sony can't show this game and then make us wait another year for it. If it is re-revealed this E3 we should have it in our hands by February 2015 at the latest.

I like Miller but sometimes they come off as shills in the podcast.

Man, last time I heard them trying to defend the Vita sales it was sad.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    nusu wrote: »
    I'm hoping to see more of the smaller Ubi games like Child of Light and Valiant Hearts announced, and I'm hoping more of the larger devs have similar type projects to announce this year. I think those types of games are great, and would like to see more of them between the huge AAA releases.

There was a rumor of Prince of Persia (remake?) game made in UbiArt but nothing official so far.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »

I think in this case it had more to do with the baility to adjust encounter rates, the amount of experience/gold/job points you receive, tweaking difficulty on the fly, etc. Like, if you wanted to grind for moneys or job points without gaining levels, you could do that. Or any combination of that.

There were a ton of customization options in Bravely Default. Super nice!

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    KandenKanden Registered User regular
    All I want from E3 is Dishonored 2.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Kanden wrote: »

I wouldn't hold my breath for this one

There's been some rumored leaks going around that Arkane is currently working on Prey 2

• Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

Hahahhahahahahahhaa....

I mean, he could be right. If we see it there's a good chance it'll be announced for early 2015.

We're not going to see it.

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

Hahahhahahahahahhaa....

I mean, he could be right. If we see it there's a good chance it'll be announced for early 2015.

We're not going to see it.

i don't think his point is that if we see it this year then it will be set for a 2015 release, but rather that should be the case. that showing it without a firm release date is pointless and amounts to nothing more than a tease. the game is at that point now, where if they aren't talking about a release date, they just shouldn't be talking about it at all.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Really, all I can ask for as far as this E3 goes is some surprises.

Whether its a new (interesting and preferably not shooter-based) IP or an old series being brought back to life.

Also, I would love some extensive info on the stuff we know about already.

• Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    I'm a little concerned we'll hardly see anything from Nintendo about Wii U outside of a new Zelda and maybe a nifty Smash Bros reveal, and the rest will be tons of 3DS stuff. Which, to be fair, is probably the correct business move, but as someone who has difficulty really getting into portable games lately, would be a bit of a disappointment.

Darlan on
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Just come out and apologize for Blood Dragon and say it won't happen again and that there'll actually be substantial DLC for Far Cry 4 this time
    Why would Ubisoft apologize for the best game of 2012?

All I ask for this year is for the companies to come up with even more new and exciting ways to embarrass themselves on a public stage.

Also an X-Wing sequel announcement because when I dream, I dream big.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Wyborn wrote: »

I think in this case it had more to do with the baility to adjust encounter rates, the amount of experience/gold/job points you receive, tweaking difficulty on the fly, etc. Like, if you wanted to grind for moneys or job points without gaining levels, you could do that. Or any combination of that.

This is exactly right. Bravely Default is very friendly in allowing you to play how you want to play without feeling like cheating and still keeping the games core intact. It was very well done.

In terms of in-game player customization, FF7 holds the top spot for me simply due to the Materia system, which is absolutely lovely. Also it had a theme park and arcade games... so extra points. ;)

• Options
    I am expecting some Star Wars games to be announced, at the very least Battlefront. Would love to see a new X-Wing game, especially since Disney shut down Attack Squadrons - which wasn't bad. A new Jedi Knight needs to happen but I suspect it will take the form of Episode 7: The Game.

We can at least expect TWO Star Wars games next year.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »

This is exactly right. Bravely Default is very friendly in allowing you to play how you want to play without feeling like cheating and still keeping the games core intact. It was very well done.

In terms of in-game player customization, FF7 holds the top spot for me simply due to the Materia system, which is absolutely lovely. Also it had a theme park and arcade games... so extra points. ;)
    Yeah, Bravely Default was great. I did much like the encounter adjustment, especially in later chapters, where I found no real reason to do random fights unless I was deliberately grinding.

And I just love the job system. A solid improvement on FFV, and even a bit better than Dimensions (depending on how much you liked the Fusion attacks in Dimensions).

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Kanden wrote: »

I wouldn't hold my breath for this one

There's been some rumored leaks going around that Arkane is currently working on Prey 2

Arkane have two studios, one in France and the other in Texas. One's working on Prey 2 (which isn't really a rumour at this point, it's basically confirmed) and the other is apparently working on Dishonored 2.

I'm pretty sure their pre-E3 announcements were just getting those things out of the way early. The Kinect-less SKU, Quantum Break delay and Halo 5: Guardians announcements because they didn't want those announcements to dominate talk about their conference ("Xbox 180" and delays). While the Sunset Overdrive reveal was showing off that game early to ensure it wasn't lost in the huge rush for E3 news, which is something Sony did as well, with Drive Club and The Order.

That said, while Microsoft have had a number of announcements leaked (Forza Horizon 2, Halo 1-4 and both Gears and Crackdown 3 in very early development), I'm sure they'll have some stuff that hasn't been. At the very least, I'd expect both Sony and Microsoft to announce a few low budget first/second party titles (like Rime or Lococycle), as well as some indie games.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    If they announce a Crackdown 3 I will cry blood for not having an Xbox One.

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    Every year I think someone says console pokemon rpg with bells and whistles so... pokemon for wii u with bells and whistles.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    EA's presentation is more than likely going to be
    Big Classy wrote: »

They would have to do something to give it some extra oomph.

As meh as I was about SR4 I will say it was probably a better Crackdown than Crackdown was.

• Options
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »

It's coming out in 2016 at the very earliest, so you've got a hell of a lot of time to get one. If it shows up, it'll just be in the form of a CG trailer (like how they showed off 2015 games last year).

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Microsoft has said they're re-affirming their presence on Windows gaming for, like, the dozenth time now. At this point, it doesn't mean a whole lot much, unless you're super jazzed about stuff like Halo Spartan Assault or re-releases of their old, glory day RTS games*.

*Which are super dope, to be fair.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Microsoft has said they're re-affirming their presence on Windows gaming for, like, the dozenth time now. At this point, it doesn't mean a whole lot much, unless you're super jazzed about stuff like Halo Spartan Assault or re-releases of their old, glory day RTS games*.

*Which are super dope, to be fair.

I am super pumped for Rise of Nations to be re-released, and that means Rise of Legends is hopefully soon to come which is omgwtfbbq awesome.

But yea, Microsoft has been banging this "we love PC gaming" drum for a long time. The only positive thing that they've done for PC gaming is ditching GFWL.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    MS doesn't give a shit about PC and it shows, but if they DO they are not very good at following through with their words.

HallowedFaith on
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Curious to see who falls for what coming out of E3. Totally unrealistic bullshots? next gen console games running on high end PCs? tech demos that'll get scaled to hell and back before release?

Let the games begin.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    My general approach to E3 the last few years has been to assume that what I am seeing is the best I will ever see it because through development time and trying to get it to run on consoles we will a lot of downgrading.

Not to sound biased, but the only games I know will look like what they look like are Nintendo trailers, everything else is a crap shoot.

HallowedFaith on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular

Well done Spencer, this is funnier than the idea that Guardian is coming out soon.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    My general approach to E3 has been "yay new games".

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular

Well done Spencer, this is funnier than the idea that Guardian is coming out soon.
    I wonder what that even means. I can't imagine Microsoft making any of its big Xbox One titles multiplatform with the PC.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Not gonna bother with the individual threads this year for each conference.
    We still have threads for each console, and I think they'll suffice.
    This is just your plan to lead the console threads to early graves. I'm on to you! ;)

• Options
    zllehszllehs Hiding in a box, waiting to strike.Registered User regular
    Hey we are due for a Game of Thrones update from Telltale aren't we?

• Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular

I might believe him if they finally release the XBone Controller PC adapter.

This discussion has been closed.