As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[E3] 2014 - Games games and more games!

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Oh man Microsoft should launch a PC gaming digital platform. They can call it like, Games for Windows 8 or something. I'm bad with names. But this is totally original and it will work.

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    At this point I'd prefer MS to just shut up about PC, rather than keep making periodic promises of a concerted push for PC gaming as if nobody remembered the previous fucking ten years of this shit.

Spoilers Microsoft, we do.

• Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    Bubby wrote: »

Well done Spencer, this is funnier than the idea that Guardian is coming out soon.

I might believe him if they finally release the XBone Controller PC adapter, announced that Halo 5 is getting a simultaneous PC release, bring back the Mechwarrior franchise and resurrect the brodeo.

Hey, they killed off GFWL, what more could they do to prove their love of PC gaming than that? Also fixed.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Here's a timeline of Microsoft's amazing PC support since 2004:
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=88868188&postcount=177

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Arteen wrote: »

Well done Spencer, this is funnier than the idea that Guardian is coming out soon.
    I wonder what that even means. I can't imagine Microsoft making any of its big Xbox One titles multiplatform with the PC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1lHeLN1UGs

Hey, let's port the Forza 5 engine to Windows, running on a PC, to demonstrate DX12...

... and continually talk about the Xbox One.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Anywho, here's my wishlist of unlikely announcements

-New Metroid, preferably styled after Metroid Prime
    -Shadow Complex 2
    -Sequel to Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
    -New Banjo-Kazooie
    -Something original for the next Gears of War game
    -Alpha Centauri 2
    -New Half-Life game, or barring that, any new game from Valve.

• Options
    EmbassyEmbassy Captain CanadaRegistered User regular
    I would love to see more Advance Wars or Fire Emblem, not just the crossover game but also a main game. And I'd love to see a reason to get a PS4 or an Xbox One that isn't available on Steam. So, basically just Kingdom Hearts. But if KH somehow comes out for Wii U I will probably never get a PS4 or Xbox One.

Add me on Wii U! NNID: DJEmbassy
    Add me on 3DS! 3351-4071-0684
  • Options
    SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    Word on GAF is that judges frm judges week came back and said that E3 was mostly remakes, and not to get too hyped. Hope that isn't true.

3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
  • Options
    Jeff Gerstmann from Giantbomb said similar things; nothing he saw at judges week was terribly new.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    What is judges week exactly

And would this reflect in any way on what the big 3 are doing

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Word on GAF is that judges frm judges week came back and said that E3 was mostly remakes, and not to get too hyped. Hope that isn't true.

Sorry if I'm not familiar, but I assume the judges are those for various E3 awards?

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    Wyborn wrote: »

It's wear a bunch of press and people from the industry get invited at, shown demos of all the stuff that'll be playable at E3, and then vote on what was best. It's where those "best in show: E3 201X" awards come from.

• Options
    Then it has dick-all to do with Nintendo

Cool

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options

Best explanation I can find:

http://www.edge-online.com/features/inside-judges-week-the-games-medias-secret-pre-e3-event/

• Options
    Then it has dick-all to do with Nintendo

Cool

Nintendo still demos stuff at E3, don't they?

• Options
    They do, but they're also so secretive that I have doubts that they'd preview any of their big reveals

Like, if Zelda U is playable on the show floor, you can bet it ain't got nothing to do with judges week

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options

I wouldn't read too far into that. Judges week deals with the games that are playable on the show floor and even then, some games no-show it. None of the new announcements would've been there.

• Options
    They do, but they're also so secretive that I have doubts that they'd preview any of their big reveals

Like, if Zelda U is playable on the show floor, you can bet it ain't got nothing to do with judges week

Why not? It's not like the judges aren't under strict NDA's.

• Options

It's just a bet I would be willing to make

Because in terms of preventing leaks, you can't really trust NDAs to tote all the weight

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited June 2014

It's just a bet I would be willing to make

Because in terms of preventing leaks, you can't really trust NDAs to tote all the weight

Judges week new or anything, and it seems to have been fairly air-tight so far. It's considered a prestigious thing for game journalists. Not something you shit on for some quick hits on your website.

EDIT: Judges week ISN'T new or anything, rather :P Curse my terrible communication skills!

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    Any big fucking deal games like HL3 or something wouldn't be on the show floor anyway.

• Options

I wouldn't read too far into that. Judges week deals with the games that are playable on the show floor and even then, some games no-show it. None of the new announcements would've been there.

Are we sure about this? If so, that's a big relief.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

Nintendo has already confirmed theyre unveiling a bunch of Wii u titles focused on the tablet and that pretty much screams demos

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options

100% sure. Judges week is all about giving writers a bit more time to write their previews and the dumb awards that every site gives out. If they showed everything, we'd get even more leaks than we do right now.

But yeah, leakers are hinting at a bunch of remasters/up-ports from both Microsoft and Sony. We obviously already know about Halo 1-4 on the Microsoft side, while Sony probably has Beyond: Two Souls and maybe one or two others (hopefully an Uncharted HD Collection).

• Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    Yeah, what Gerstmann seems most pessimistic about is that there will be any exciting announcements of games that are actually going to come out this year.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Things I desperately want to see at E3 (but probably won't):

- Banjo-Threeie (or whatever they want to call it)
    - Some kind of Mega Man game (preferably for 3DS)
    - Space Station: Silicon Valley 2 (no chance in hell of this happening)

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »

The first is never gonna happen Rate is gone. Microsoft will ditch the ip at some point. Its worth more as an asset than a game to them.

I dont even know who made the first SS:SV but I doubt they still exist

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »

The first is never gonna happen Rate is gone. Microsoft will ditch the ip at some point. Its worth more as an asset than a game to them.

DMA Design, which is now Rockstar North. So yeah, no dice.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Yeah, what Gerstmann seems most pessimistic about is that there will be any exciting announcements of games that are actually going to come out this year.

That is pretty much what I've been looking at.

I'm thinking in the way of surprises, at best we're going to get a lot of teases for stuff coming out next year.

Especially with more and more developers pushing their products back to like Spring and such.

Heck, so far the only Fall/Winter releases I'm still hyped about are Dragon Age and Evil Within.

Edit: Oh I guess Batman and Evolve too.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Well, since Bethesda mentioned their next big game isn't going to be there, thats pretty much killed my E3 hype boner.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Absolutely no interest in anything non-Nintendo related, so E3 doesn't start until the 10th for me.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    That would be an interesting flip of the coin for this E3. MS and Sony announce a ton of remakes, and Nintendo reveals a bunch of new games. Usually Nintendo is announcing a ton of remakes.

BUT that being said, Nintendo has a lot of awesome remakes or upscales that I would love to see, so I don't mind if they do. Their IP listing is fabulous.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited June 2014

Actually...
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Space Station Silicon Valley is a platform game released in October 1998 by Scottish developer DMA Design (now known as Rockstar North, creator of the Grand Theft Auto series).

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    This is it guys, this is the year. RED DEAD REDEMPTION COMING TO PC. Calling it. COME OOOOOOOOOOOON ROCKSTAR!!!

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    This is it guys, this is the year. RED DEAD REDEMPTION COMING TO PC. Calling it. COME OOOOOOOOOOOON ROCKSTAR!!!

Rockstar doesn't go to E3

Don't stop believing anyways! Just, you know, temper your expectations

I'm hoping for the GTAV PS4 port announcement

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »

Never played it so that would be awesome.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Apparently the writer for Shadow Complex crashed an Infinity Blade panel and one on the ChAIR panelist mentioned he has also written the script for Shadow Complex 2, so I'm going to move that to a legitimate hope for this e3.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Is that technically a Microsoft property?

Or is it Epic and able to go to both systems?

Because I'm not gonna lie

I went out and bought an Xbox 360 just for Shadow Complex 1 and never regretted it

• Options
    IIRC, Microsoft published Shadow Complex 1, but I think ChAIR (I.E. Epic) owns the IP. Kinda like how Gears of War was, until they sold it.

I'm really hoping Shadow Complex 2 is on PC and that they port Shadow Complex 1 to drum up interest.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Apparently the writer for Shadow Complex crashed an Infinity Blade panel and one on the ChAIR panelist mentioned he has also written the script for Shadow Complex 2, so I'm going to move that to a legitimate hope for this e3.

The game has been "designed" for years already, so that probably doesn't mean much.

This discussion has been closed.