As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Marvel] - Introducing Marvel LATER!

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Ooooh they changed the spine of the Marvel trades to be white? Super classy, especially for Hickman's stuff.

Cap & Mighty Avengers #2 (CAATMA), I liked the twist with the team being a co-op, so it really is the hippy dippy Avenger team. This is a nice respite from the seriousness of Hickman's stuff.

I do wonder when Dani is going to grow up a bit, in terms of Marvel time she should only be a year or two younger than Val. Don't pull a Family Ties on her but age her enough to not be swaddled in a blanket all the time, you feel me fam?

White spines happened with Marvel now, IIRC. Though a few comics like Hawkeye and Captain Marvel have it too, so maybe it started before that?

• Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    Ooooh they changed the spine of the Marvel trades to be white? Super classy, especially for Hickman's stuff.

Cap & Mighty Avengers #2 (CAATMA), I liked the twist with the team being a co-op, so it really is the hippy dippy Avenger team. This is a nice respite from the seriousness of Hickman's stuff.

I do wonder when Dani is going to grow up a bit, in terms of Marvel time she should only be a year or two younger than Val. Don't pull a Family Ties on her but age her enough to not be swaddled in a blanket all the time, you feel me fam?

Not only are the spines white, but the hardcovers have the art printed right on them. No dustjackets.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

Well Val is supposedly still three years old, but yeah, I think Dani should be about one year old by now.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    DAMN

Just...DAMN

I started tearing into my Avengers trades and holy fuck these are amazing. I know I'm a bit late to the party here but still, damn. On one hand sure, I shoulda just gave into thread hype way earlier and started reading them back then but on the other I don't think I woulda been able to really appreciate what the shit was going on and the writing quality and all that since I was still a comic scrub back then.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    I haven't read the infinity volumes for Avengers and New Avengers yet. Will probably do so soon so I don't have to bring them along on my January holiday.

I'm up to date on the latest Uncanny avengers volumes though, and I have to so it is by far my favorite Avengers book.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Enjoying Inhuman more and more with each issue. More Reader and Iso.

Still not sure what they were thinking with Dante's power set though. So far he just seems to be a human torch clone which is a really boring choice for the character they seem to be setting up as their main "nuhuman".

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    DAMN

Just...DAMN

I started tearing into my Avengers trades and holy fuck these are amazing. I know I'm a bit late to the party here but still, damn. On one hand sure, I shoulda just gave into thread hype way earlier and started reading them back then but on the other I don't think I woulda been able to really appreciate what the shit was going on and the writing quality and all that since I was still a comic scrub back then.

It didn't really hit me how vast and deep this multiverse storyline was until I had a bunch of A and NA issues lined up and read through them all in order. It's pretty great. Everything up to Infinity is really 'Act 1' and all of Infinity is 'Act 2' - it's a huge story.
    -
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Still not sure what they were thinking with Dante's power set though. So far he just seems to be a human torch clone which is a really boring choice for the character they seem to be setting up as their main "nuhuman".

He looks like he can't fly - I'm hoping they make him more of a brawler and close-combat fighter who blows up the stuff he punches, rather than trying to make him like Torch with all kinds of fancy flames. He doesn't have to be especially varied powers-wise if they keep him a hot-headed (no pun intended) combat monster.

I've also enjoyed the book a lot myself - the Legion character is being set up as a neat over-arching villain, but could also just as easily become a Loki-like, out for number one, sometimes-enemy sometimes-ally character. He probably knows all about this new Inhuman enemy taking shape in the latest story.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Dante's coolest thing is that Dante is a cool guy who I can really dig as a protaganist

• Options
    Solar wrote: »
    Dante's coolest thing is that Dante is a cool guy who I can really dig as a protaganist
    The greatest super power of them all!

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    So I just read a spoiler for Spider-verse, and apparently one of my favorite Spider-men was killed:
    Earth-8351 Assassin Spider-man.

Fuck that shit so hard. How can a trained assassin with ability of premonition get killed by the brother of one of the worst Spider-man villains of all time

And to think I was actually thinking of picking up this series. Well not anymore.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I'm done with Spider-Man until Slott's done with him

Still buying the heck out of Miles and Gwen's books though.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I read Scarlet Spiders #1 without knowing much about the Spider-Verse story, and it was pretty weak. We have universe hopping in the big event two years in the making so far in Avengers, why do the same thing only smaller just for Spideys with a character so bland yet so super powerful? It's the GoBots to the Transformers (lulz because Mike Costa wrote the issue), and also feels like a knockoff of Moore's Captain Britain run.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    I read Scarlet Spiders #1 without knowing much about the Spider-Verse story, and it was pretty weak. We have universe hopping in the big event two years in the making so far in Avengers, why do the same thing only smaller just for Spideys with a character so bland yet so super powerful? It's the GoBots to the Transformers (lulz because Mike Costa wrote the issue), and also feels like a knockoff of Moore's Captain Britain run.

Umm...Spider-verse has been in the making for years as well. There were references to it as far back as 2012 in Amazing Spider-Man and Scarlet Spider.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I read Scarlet Spiders #1 without knowing much about the Spider-Verse story, and it was pretty weak. We have universe hopping in the big event two years in the making so far in Avengers, why do the same thing only smaller just for Spideys with a character so bland yet so super powerful?

I get a feeling they're going to converge for Secret Wars.

Speaking of Captain Britain, the 'Spider-Brit' member got dragged into Spider-Verse while watching all the other CBs going off to fight the big multiverse enemy from the Avengers run. I don't think much of the Inheritors from Spider-Verse, but they could make for an interesting faction pitting them against other groups from Secret Wars.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    BRING FORTH THE PIES!

Oh Thor, you're just wonderful.

EDIT: God damn, the tonal gear shift between Avengers and New Avengers is pretty rough.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    OK wow, Axis 7 was pretty darn great I thought.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    Avengers World #16 did one big thing of note:
    Doom used the energy he was able to grab from Wanda to bring Cassie back to life in time for Ant-Man #1

But wasted so much on the Avengers team. I can look past last issue everyone being sort of paint by numbers, but this time everyone felt like an even shorter version of what you might think they read like if you checked wikipedia. USAgent doesn't go around calling people "soldier" all the time (and also doesn't know how to throw his shield like Cap, he can't throw it and bring it back to him, that's a useless fact for you there), Wanda knows who he is since they've been on teams together for hella long times (same applies in smaller dose to 3D-Man), yet acts like just a cackling brand new villain, and Valkyrie has a little more to her than just being everything's awesome.

It's a good team that was put together, but all just placeholder. Reading it I wonder why even have the team to begin with if this is only a two parter, Val in her robot suit vs. Scarlet Witch would at least allow more stuff to happen on page.

• Options
    Oh man Avengers #39 was so good, and as someone who doesn't like Hulk I really dig this new version of him.
    "Oh Captain Marvel is going to be a fair match for the Hulk and she's getting a big push to be Marvel's Superman", and Hulk's just sitting there like the scene's mocking a Dragonball fight and kicks her into orbit.

Captain Britain rocking Excalibur is subtle fun (can Alan Davis please do a mini about what's happened to the Cap Brit corps?)

Reed just being smart and the book letting him be smart with a plan is refreshing.

And Sunspot's super emasculating AIMcraft carrier dwarfing SHIELD and then telling him the Avengers want him to stand down, God that's good stuff. It's a fuck you, gramps, in more ways than one.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    wirehead26 wrote: »

Might I ask why?

I was right onboard the Axis train when it started. The idea of inversions sounded really interesting to me. Instead they just made it "bad guys are good" and vice versa. It basically amounts to a "What If?" story for me now. There's absolutely no character development because none of the characters are even real.

I was really hoping that the inversions would be more interesting but it's really only amounted to a bunch of mustache-twirling hero/villains.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »

Might I ask why?

I was right onboard the Axis train when it started. The idea of inversions sounded really interesting to me. Instead they just made it "bad guys are good" and vice versa. It basically amounts to a "What If?" story for me now. There's absolutely no character development because none of the characters are even real.

I was really hoping that the inversions would be more interesting but it's really only amounted to a bunch of mustache-twirling hero/villains.

I loved the Evan/Wade interactions.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Just got done reading the first Ms. Marvel trade.

Very adorable character. Kamala is probably one of the most charming teen heroes Marvel created in awhile. It feels like something special.

A strong introduction. Will be picking up the rest of the series soon.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    I'm holding off reading my Ms Marvel trade for when I go to Scotland for my sister's wedding. Need something to do on the plane.

I'm also thinking of taking Electra, Winter Soldier Complete Collection and Transformers: Robots in Disguise Volume 6 as well.

Really just depends on how much I'll be able put in my 7kg carry on limit, as I want to put in some clothes and maybe surveyors on the trip back home.

I also have Books of Doom on my iphone now, so I can read that as well

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular

That's pretty much how I feel as well.

This latest issue did introduce the idea that
    Scarlet Witch isn't actually Magneto's daughter
    but isn't that a story we've already seen a couple times?

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    Avengers World: Good guy Doom rights a wrong.

Amazing Spider-Man: It's perfect that Superior can't even fathom that he'll eventually lose. I also enjoyed Ultimate Toon Spider-Man's annoying headspace things popping up. Still, killing all these Spider-people sucks.

Spipder-Man & X-Men: It's the premise of Avengers Academy with the X-Men. And whoever is writing it hasn't read a comic in 20 years.

Axis: So bad.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    So Jeff Lemire is taking over a Hawkeye relaunch. Marvel snags net another of DC's very best writers.

It's Lemire, so of course I'm giving it a chance.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    Hopefully it's better than his Green Arrow. Everyone praised that book to the moon, but it did nothing for me.

Of course, I also thought volume three of Fraction's Hawkeye, was pretty weak, too. If nothing else, it's interesting to see Lemire continuing on Fraction's path, with the whole superhero-on-his-day-off thing. I'd been wondering what Marvel would do with the character, once Fraction wrapped up his run.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Munch wrote: »
    Hopefully it's better than his Green Arrow. Everyone praised that book to the moon, but it did nothing for me.

Of course, I also thought volume three of Fraction's Hawkeye, was pretty weak, too. If nothing else, it's interesting to see Lemire continuing on Fraction's path, with the whole superhero-on-his-day-off thing. I'd been wondering what Marvel would do with the character, once Fraction wrapped up his run.

Lemire's best is Sweet Tooth. He's one of those writers who has underperformed with his superhero work (even though it is still good), but I hope Marvel will allow him to bring in more of this personal style to the book than DC.

• Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    I keep meaning to read Sweet Tooth, but I have a feeling it would emotionally devastate me. It has that look about it.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Yeah, it will.

• Options
    I just realized a funny coincidence from this week's comics
    both Doctor Voodoo and Jennifer Kale were brought back from the dead in comics this week

both of them died off-panel in the same story arc back in Bendis' New Avengers, and they were both resurrected
    basically off-panel too

Doctor Voodoo in Axis #8:

bz3ls7a1c9l0.jpg
    ib893ncfo924.jpg
    fwhzw0t6kch4.jpg

Jennifer Kale in Elektra #9:

ym7nea7s8bkh.jpg

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Death in comics is midly more annoying than having get up out of your couch to get the TV remote.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Death in comics is midly more annoying than having get up out of your couch to get the TV remote.

Bucky and Barry used to both be dead for 37 and 23 years respectfully. Jason was dead for 17.

These days we're lucky if we hit 3.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Funnily enough, I think the most major character from the Big Two who is currently dead and has been dead for the longest time is Jean Grey.

10 years and counting now!

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Funnily enough, I think the most major character from the Big Two who is currently dead and has been dead for the longest time is Jean Grey.

10 years and counting now!

They did kinda cheat on that by bringing teenage Jean Grey to the present. (And we have half a dozen other Jean Greys/Madelyne Pryors running around from various realities.)

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    What's 616 Gwen Stacy's count?

• Options
    InterpreterInterpreter Registered User regular
    Or 616 Uncle Ben for that matter?

• Options
    Praxus1874Praxus1874 West Valley City, UTRegistered User regular
    Finally, Spider-Woman gets a makeover. It only took like, 37 years.
    spider-woman-redesign51.jpg

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Praxus1874 wrote: »

I think that's a good practical costume for live action, but for comics it looks kind of meh. too many zippers and studs, reminds me of the Nu52 redesigns

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    I'm a big fan of the new design, but then I'm a sucker for superheroes wearing street clothes.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    Praxus1874Praxus1874 West Valley City, UTRegistered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »
    Praxus1874 wrote: »

I think that's a good practical costume for live action, but for comics it looks kind of meh. too many zippers and studs, reminds me of the Nu52 redesigns

Yeah, it did kind of remind me of the Wonder Woman redesign they had a while back. Still, almost anything is better than her original costume.

camo_sig2.png