Options

Australia, where winter is coming. And also Game of Thrones, months after everywhere else.

• Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    Cyvros wrote: »
    Kinky, we don't care that you're a cheap date, we still love you!

Cheap? Have you seen what he drinks?

Apparently it only takes a bottle or two of a nice $15-20 red wine and a trip on a bus, and he's all yours...

I've been vastly overspending all this time. I feel so fiscally irresponsible and inefficient now.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    I've always been fine with needles. I also watched the fourth and final wedge resection (ingrown toenail op) that I had. The one where they dig out the nail bed. That was fun.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I watch the entire thing.

Cause what else is there to do while you are there.

• Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    The last time I gave blood a first time trainee was tasked with taking the needle out of my arm.

Long story short I shot my blood all over the nurse's lab coat because she got her steps mixed up and wasn't quick enough.

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    This is what I get for bringing up blood tests, isn't it?

gonna tap out for a bit

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    I watch the entire thing.

Cause what else is there to do while you are there.

There's always subtle flirting with the phlebotomist. You can tell pretty quickly if you're any good by how viciously she jabs your arm...

• Options
    KincaidKincaid You're standing on my neck KuwaitRegistered User regular

Everything. In a bucket.

But don't worry guys, I have a new year's resolution to cut back my hahahaha but seriously someone help me.

• Options
    KincaidKincaid You're standing on my neck KuwaitRegistered User regular

Apparently it only takes a bottle or two of a nice $15-20 red wine and a trip on a bus, and he's all yours...

I've been vastly overspending all this time. I feel so fiscally irresponsible and inefficient now.

That just means you're not my type, dear.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I can watch anything up to the point I get a local, then I have to stop. Something about watching someone clean and suture my flesh when I can't feel it weirds me the hell out.

Well I guess I don't have to stop watching, I'm not gonna pass out or nothing. But it's still weird.

• Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    I really like watching my own medical procedures? Maybe I'm weird?

I watched some guy put a screw in my jaw with a socket wrench. That was fun.

• Options
    EmbraceThePingEmbraceThePing ひきこもり Where the Crabbits and the Iz roam and the Jungle Queen rules the plainsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Blood doesn't worry me so much but when they put the needle in (or the stitches) i have to look away.
    When i cut my hand recently it was interesting to see how deep it was and the layers inside but i couldn't watch the doc put the stitches in when it was numb. Wierd.

EmbraceThePing on
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Slightly gross personal medical story
    When I was in my late teens, I needed some cosmetic surgery, and I don't mean some vanity nose job (for starters, have you seen my nose?). No, I had suffered a series of particularly insidious infections and abscesses on my jaw, to the extent that basically all the flesh and fat between the skin and my jawbone was either so damaged or scarred that it wasn't clear if it could, you know, actually do the jobs of supporting bloodflow and nerve support to that area of my face. There was a serious discussion about how in a few years, untreated, that the skin and remaining flesh in that part of my face was at risk of dying, rotting and sloughing of my face, leaving me with exposed bone as a facial feature.

This was considered a less-than-ideal outcome.

So I had a flesh graft. I had sub sub-cutaneous tissue moved from my hip to my chin so the skin didn't adhere directly to the jawbone so my face didn't rot and fall off.

But the whole thing was done under local, and my doctor wore glasses and I had bright lights shone at my face, so I got to watch the whole thing in miniature reflected in the lens of his glasses. It was like watching a thumbnail video of one of those gory medical procedure videos in stereo, except it's happening to your own face.

Anyway, I thought it was kinda neat.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    Slightly gross personal medical story
    When I was in my late teens, I needed some cosmetic surgery, and I don't mean some vanity nose job (for starters, have you seen my nose?). No, I had suffered a series of particularly insidious infections and abscesses on my jaw, to the extent that basically all the flesh and fat between the skin and my jawbone was either so damaged or scarred that it wasn't clear if it could, you know, actually do the jobs of supporting bloodflow and nerve support to that area of my face. There was a serious discussion about how in a few years, untreated, that the skin and remaining flesh in that part of my face was at risk of dying, rotting and sloughing of my face, leaving me with exposed bone as a facial feature.

This was considered a less-than-ideal outcome.

So I had a flesh graft. I had sub sub-cutaneous tissue moved from my hip to my chin so the skin didn't adhere directly to the jawbone so my face didn't rot and fall off.

But the whole thing was done under local, and my doctor wore glasses and I had bright lights shone at my face, so I got to watch the whole thing in miniature reflected in the lens of his glasses. It was like watching a thumbnail video of one of those gory medical procedure videos in stereo, except it's happening to your own face.

Anyway, I thought it was kinda neat.

Wait, so, you had extensive infections and abscesses on your face and the resultant damage was bad enough that you need corrective plastic surgery, and you're still that fucking handsome?

You prick!

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I have no issue watching blood pour out of me due to an actual injury or whatnot, but as soon as I see that blood being collected I start to wig out skittle and have to concentrate on thinking about puppies or something instead.

• Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    Kincaid wrote: »

That just means you're not my type, dear.

You're a meanie.

pout

• Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    I have no issue watching blood pour out of me due to an actual injury or whatnot, but as soon as I see that blood being collected I start to wig out skittle and have to concentrate on thinking about puppies or something instead.

See for me it's the opposite. One is a totally controlled environment, but if I, say, get up from a rugby tackle to have a friend tell me I'm gushing blood from my head, I might flip the fuck out.

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Well, you know it's the rainy part of summer when you've had to help your little sister get two huntsmen out of her room.

And then, an hour later, when you go to bed there's an even bigger one sitting on the side of your bedside drawer. And you go to get a container and some cardboard so you can throw it outside, but when you get back, it's disappeared.

• Options
    AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    I find the best way to deal with a spider in the room is just to lob a grenade in there.

Then set the house on fire.

Then nuke it from orbit.

You can never be too sure.

Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    AirAir Registered User regular
    i had a pretty bad dental abscess with heaps of bone around my tooth eaten away to the point that my dentist had to scrape out dead bits deep enough that he couldnt see them

instead he kept the anesthetic low and poked around inside my face and if he hit healthy bone it was fine but bad bits would hurt like hell
    so hed listen for my stifled cries as indication to go to town scraping that spot clean which was even more incredibly painful and felt like he was scooping out the inside of my face

terrible incentive to let him know where to focus but i felt super brave for keeping up my informative whimpers

darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    So the bushfire going on right now in the north of Perth makes the one we dealt with a few weeks ago look like child's play.

Our's burnt out about 120 hectares in Whiteman Park, threatening about 50 homes.

This one so far has already burnt out nearly six thousand hectares, and has travelled all the way northwest from Bullsbrook almost to Alkimos/Yanchep, burning across the Gnangara forest & pine plantations. It's moving thirty meters a minute and is still completely out of control. They've saved over a hundred homes so far but thousands more are still in danger. Started at 10am about twelve hours ago.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    The path the fire had taken as of about 3pm

B6-a-3iCIAApNql.jpg

• Options
    Do not, I repeat DO NOT, get burned, man.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Do not, I repeat DO NOT, get burned, man.

It's not anywhere near our house, we're south of Ellenbrook, and the fire is already nearly to the coast. No danger here.

Posting only because people might be unaware and have family/friends in the area.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Yeah a few friends of mine up that way have already been preparing to evacuate.

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
  • Options
    EmbraceThePingEmbraceThePing ひきこもり Where the Crabbits and the Iz roam and the Jungle Queen rules the plainsRegistered User regular
    That fire north of Perth is still burning, though considered contained. For now.
    http://www.dfes.wa.gov.au/alerts/Pages/Alert.aspx?ItemId=12212

I also had some facial trauma which required unpleasant surgical intervention.
    when i was five a dog bit my face and opened the side of it up from just above (beside) my right eye to just below my mouth, straight through to the bone.
    The kicker was that it took nearly six hours to get medical attention. By that time I'd lost some blood and they didn't want to risk a general, also they needed to know when they had trimmed off enough of the dead blackened flesh and were starting to cut into the living flesh so they skipped a local too.
    The reasoning being that once they'd finished stretching the flesh back over the resulting hole in my face and given me enough blood they would put me out for three to four days till my face settled (and my eye hole was no longer an inch under my eye) and i wouldn't remember any of it.

To this day i remember every second of it. Still, they did an excellent job under the circumstances. PMH ftw.
    So i know how you felt Fishman, Air.

• Options
    there's a new fire emergency, this time in southern Bullsbrook.

There has got to be somebody going around lighting successive fires.

• Options
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    there's a new fire emergency, this time in southern Bullsbrook.

There has got to be somebody going around lighting successive fires.

Quite likely, yes.

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Honestly I'm always amazed that they catch as many arsonists as they do.

• Options
    Immoliation.
    Incarceration just doesn't work.

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    well that certainly gives a whole new meaning to fighting fire with fire

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    In a less facetious vein ...
    I did some gardening on the weekend which included hacking back the hibiscus tree that regularly threatens to engulf my small backyard.
    After some deft trimming I noticed some agitated paper wasps flying about where I'd removed my last branch. Examining the branch I realised that I'd taken down their nest. D:

Unlike most people I know, I consider paper wasps very helpfull in the control of caterpillers and pests in my garden and never try to get rid of them.

I got the branch with the nest and stuck it back in the tree near where I'd taken it from. The wasps found it again and have resumed tending their young with no hard feelings.

http://i.imgur.com/70Hxn67.jpg (4.7mb photo)

• Options
    aerynkellyaerynkelly nothing to see here, move along Registered User regular
    In a less facetious vein ...
    I did some gardening on the weekend which included hacking back the hibiscus tree that regularly threatens to engulf my small backyard.
    After some deft trimming I noticed some agitated paper wasps flying about where I'd removed my last branch. Examining the branch I realised that I'd taken down their nest. D:

Unlike most people I know, I consider paper wasps very helpfull in the control of caterpillers and pests in my garden and never try to get rid of them.

I got the branch with the nest and stuck it back in the tree near where I'd taken it from. The wasps found it again and have resumed tending their young with no hard feelings.

http://i.imgur.com/70Hxn67.jpg (4.7mb photo)

That's cool of you to put the nest back. Also, you're lucky you didn't get stung. If that had been me, I'd have almost certainly been stung, and I'm allergic so that would have been fun.

fss_overall.png
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Don't paper wasps not sting?

broken image link
  • Options
    Butler wrote: »
    Honestly I'm always amazed that they catch as many arsonists as they do.

I have a few friends in various country volunteer fire departments, and wouldn't you know it, the kinds of people stupid enough to light bushfires are usually also the kinds of people that are stupid enough to boast about it...

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular

ahahahahahaha

• Options
    HitsuraptorHitsuraptor Registered User regular
    Anyone heard of this? Just had it come up on my facebook feed, some Aussie zombie movie. Looks alright and the first aid kit got a good chuckle out of me
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGdeE0RiTdc

• Options
    AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular

They aren't as outwardly aggressive as other kinds of wasps and generally don't sting unless threatened, but I don't imagine it would take a whole lot to piss one off.

Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    That looks fun.

This is a Australian Zombe Short Film, it's less fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gryenlQKTbE

• Options
    edited January 2015
    AJR wrote: »

They aren't as outwardly aggressive as other kinds of wasps and generally don't sting unless threatened, but I don't imagine it would take a whole lot to piss one off.
    Zactly. They're fine as long as you don't threaten them.
    'Bout ten years ago I put in a dozen or so cherry tomatoes in the vegie garden back of the place I was living in and they came up as thick as anything. When I'd go out to harvest some for dinner the wasps used to follow my hands and when I parted the bushes they'd duck in to look for caterpillers. As long as you move slow and don't try to swat at them they are as cool as anything. Oh, don't go near their nest though.
    You can see that a few of the wasps in that pic I took have their wings ninty degrees to their bodies. Warning sign. I was pretty close to get the pic but move slow and watch their body language, respect their requests to back up and it's cool bananas.

That zombie movie looks pretty good.

EmbraceThePing on
This discussion has been closed.