As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sunday Hearthstone Tourney - Well Played

TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
edited October 2014 in Debate and/or Discourse
Tourney Players' Bnet Information

Hello everyone, and welcome back to the thread. It's been some time since the previous tourney ended. Friendships were tested. Relationships strained. Seeds awarded with terrifying, some would say almost prophetic accuracy. Well we're doing it again.

We are playing on the NA Servers

~~What is Hearthstone~~

If you don't know what Hearthstone is, it's a free to play collectible card game, sort of like Magic the Gathering, but for icky casuals like me, and some of the people playing in this tourney. It's got more of an emphasis on creature trading and random effects than more traditional card games, but the meta is fairly robust and new decks and strategies reveal themselves every month. Simple mechanics, but with depth. It's sort of the Blizzard MO.

~~The Invitational MO~~

This tourney was created to give more casual players a chance to compete in a true blue best of three tournament style setting, which some (nerds) argue is the most sensible way to play the game. That's up for debate, but it's without a doubt an interesting alternate take on the options Blizzard is currently offering.

But that's not the only reason this tourney exists! As long as this is running, I'm offering everyone a chance to come hang out, have fun, and root for their favorite chatters and forumites as they smash orc cards into each other for an hour or two on sunday nights. Some of us have twitches, some of us will be in ventrilo. Why not grab a drink and spectate a lil? The game is very easy to learn and even neophytes can tell what's going on after a game or two. Beyond just figuring out which person has the most legendaries and cheap net decks the Goodwill Initialtational Invitational is an invitation to pass some time with your pals in a semi competitive environment. Whether you want to join up, watch, or just hang out on vent, there'll be some entertaining way to waste your life with strangers On The Net.

~~The Tournament Rules~~

After thoughts, discussions, steak dinners, and private counseling, I have decided to do probably what I should have done the first time and completely and utterly rip off the Blizzard Innkeeper's Invitational Rules

I'm just going to copy and paste them here:
  • Each player has 3 decks, each of a different class
  • Matches are Best of 5 in All-Kill format
  • For game 1 each player may privately select the deck of their choice
  • The winner of a game keeps his deck
  • The loser of a game selects an unused deck

This tournament is single elimination

For tips on competitive 3 deck Bo5 play, please follow Artosis on Youtube, he seems really good at it
~~The Schedule~~

The initialtational invitational is committed to experimenting with the format and schedule to maximize smiles and minimize frosteey frowns : (

This week, we will have open registration until the start time at 7 PM CDT, with attendance being tallied from 6 PM to 7 PM. Show up during those times, voice your desire and oath to play, and you'll be entered into the register. At 7 PM all present competitors will be organized into a bracket seeded from the previous tourney's results and my best guess for any new competitors. After the bracket has been released players will have fifteen minutes to play their opponent. The winner will have fifteen minutes to play their next opponent once both of them are free. And so on. Please be considerate of your fellow tourney players.

It is hoped that the tournament will conclude in one night! Let's aim for the top!

~~Disclaimer~~

This schedule will be a work in progress through the weeks and I am open to suggestions, but I will almost always prioritize keeping the tournament going smoothly over giving out match postponements, and even if it is a crappy schedule I am more inclined to keep it if the alternative is endless debating.

~~Good Luck, Have Fun!~~

Good luck, have fun. Please forgive your humble MC.

You could be anywhere
On the black screen
Tarranon on

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Are there any rules limiting card pools for deck construction?

• Options
    All cards are legal my friend

You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    except legendaries because I don't have any

NO LEGENDARIES ITS A GENTLEMAN'S AGREEMENT

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    There are no banned cards in HS. Just normal constructed. 3 unique decks but you can overlap cards... Right, tarannon?

Imma bring the heat!

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Meanwhile, I in no way deserve my seeding but heyooooo.

• Options
    We'll play it by ear for this first one, but my gut instinct is that if you want to bring three tempo warriors to the ring and you just switch out one card per deck, you're only hurting yourself. Bo3 tourneys are good because variety is encouraged by the nature of the competition.

You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    Tarranon wrote: »

Ah.

So this will be a pay-to-win tournament.

I see.

• Options
    Skippy, get on my level. Oh wait that is why you must defeat deebs first.

I'm going to send home a corpse. Kiss sawyer goodbye!

Jk skippy's wife, he'll be done by 8pm

• Options
    I doubt many of us have most legendares and most decks only take 1-2. Some good ones 0.

• Options
    _J_ wrote: »

Ah.

I see.

The nature of the game is such that some, non basic cards, are simply more desirable than the ones given to you when you reach level 10. I'm going to assume you're perturbed by the non banning of, say, legendaries, but I guarantee you it's the better commons, rares, and epics that will be deciding these games, and they're all unavailable to the non arena playing, non credit card punching, non-veteran player in general.

Given that it's a choice between allowing every card, allowing only basic cards, or some horrible system where you have a dust allowance ala a tabletop game, the choice to me is clear. I'm confident in my skills, legendaries or no. But you know what I'm even more confident in?

Having fun, with friends, at the table.

You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options

A no-legendary Gentleman's Agreement Tournament would be quite classy.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    f-friends?

• Options

Ah.

I see.

The nature of the game is such that some, non basic cards, are simply more desirable than the ones given to you when you reach level 10. I'm going to assume you're perturbed by the non banning of, say, legendaries, but I guarantee you it's the better commons, rares, and epics that will be deciding these games, and they're all unavailable to the non arena playing, non credit card punching, non-veteran player in general.

Given that it's a choice between allowing every card, allowing only basic cards, or some horrible system where you have a dust allowance ala a tabletop game, the choice to me is clear. I'm confident in my skills, legendaries or no. But you know what I'm even more confident in?

Doesn't have to be all Legendaries.

Just Leeroy.

• Options

A no-legendary Gentleman's Agreement Tournament would be quite classy.

Real talk I will face anyone with my tempo rogue deck and it has zero legendaries. I was mad at legendaries when I first started playing too, but ya gotta get off the legendaries preoccupation mate, you'll only stunt ur game!!

You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    Stop sucking butts, babbies. Imma own yo' butts.

• Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    It's okay I think by the time the tournament starts I will have enough dust to get a legendary of my choice.

I hope everybody is prepared for the mighty Milhouse Manastorm

• Options
    I opened a golden milhouse. I turned him into a not milhouse.

• Options
    Also decide if we're registering decks or can change between rounds.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

Ah.

I see.

Excuse me but there are no friends at a table when you are playing card games. There are only enemies to be crushed.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    I'm putting three leeroys in every deck just try to stop me

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I think originally tarranon had said three decks for the tourney as a whole, no swaps/adjustments

So like, bring good ones

So It Goes on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Question: In a previous tournament I played in, after each game the winner was not allowed to switch out their deck. So if you're SIG and you play your stupid annoying frost mage deck in Game 1 and you draw two dumb terrible Ice Blocks and Pyroblast your poor helpless opponent to death like a total butt, then your opponent must choose a new deck (because they lost), but you are forced to play your goddamn piece of shit frost mage deck again. Is that the case here, or is the winner free to switch to some other deck?

Personally I'm a fan of the "winner can't switch" method because it gives the loser a better chance of taking the second game (which makes for a more interesting tournament!) and eliminates some of the "wine in front of you" aspect of selecting your Game 2 deck, while still having it be a meaningful decision (you don't want to choose a hard counter to their deck if your hard counter has a hard counter because they can hard counter in Game 3, etc etc).

Thoughts?

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Just play 3 miracle decks: one with 1 cold light, one with 2 cold lights, and one with no cold lights. Alternatively, 3 zoo decks: one with 2 doomgaurds, one with 1 doomguard, and one with a blood imp.

Win.

Lilnoobs on
  • Options
    Question: In a previous tournament I played in, after each game the winner was not allowed to switch out their deck. So if you're SIG and you play your stupid annoying frost mage deck in Game 1 and you draw two dumb terrible Ice Blocks and Pyroblast your poor helpless opponent to death like a total butt, then your opponent must choose a new deck (because they lost), but you are forced to play your goddamn piece of shit frost mage deck again. Is that the case here, or is the winner free to switch to some other deck?

Personally I'm a fan of the "winner can't switch" method because it gives the loser a better chance of taking the second game (which makes for a more interesting tournament!) and eliminates some of the "wine in front of you" aspect of selecting your Game 2 deck, while still having it be a meaningful decision (you don't want to choose a hard counter to their deck if your hard counter has a hard counter because they can hard counter in Game 3, etc etc).

Thoughts?

Yeah that's good and IIRC that's how they do it at the blizzcon tourneys which I believe are the most popular non team format and what i poorly modeled this tournament on. I'll update the OP. I don't want to eliminate multiple decks that use the same hero but if people pull shenanigans and basically create the same deck three times i'll probably change it for next time.

You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    Yeah, I like the winner not switching. It provides an advantage to the loser in games 2/3.

• Options
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    I'm putting three leeroys in every deck just try to stop me
    SiG is a jerk and has done this to me in regular matchmaking. :p

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Elaborating further, it states: "We know that e-Sports is largely dominated by male players and females players are actually a portion of the overall player base. By hosting a female-only competition, we strive to promote female gaming on a global scale."

"IeSF is very close to get e-Sports recognized as a true sports like it should be. Part of that effort is to comply with the international sports regulations. For example, chess is also divided into male / female leagues."

Ah, yes. The equal opportunity world of professional chess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdA7I9nPhSU

it's fine tho. I mean, you can still play Tekken Tag Tournament, which obviously it should be simple for you to switch over to from Hearthstone. What more could you even ask for, really?

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Wowee Zowee, Less than 24 hours before the big show, huh!! I hope everyone is pumped, jammed, and excited to see who forfeits first. Actually I know who will forfeit first, but I'm open to being surprised.

In the meantime, why not vote for yourself to win in this straw poll?

http://strawpoll.me/2054841

This way it will be even more exciting when the dark horse wins. I also know who that is.

You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    Also, something to consider: Please post your information on this spread sheet, so that people can fight you honorably come game time

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cHjzKBuaBLZflISRYOh5gtsCqVn2iCFYG7h-msNO2Dc/edit?usp=sharing

You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    I'm not finding a way to work Illidan Stormrage into a deck so I'm displeased. I WILL SUCCEED.

• Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    Side note: Chess is not divided into male and female leagues. Chess players are all rated in the same pool of players. Women have the option of playing in women's only tournaments and earning "women's" versions of the master ranks at lower thresholds, but they also play in ordinary tournaments and can earn the ordinary ranks as well.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    8 eastern right? Just over 11 hours to gooooo

visiblehowl won't know what hit him

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »

MAYHAPS IT IS YOU WHO WILL LACK THE KNOWLEDGE OF THAT WHICH HATH CAUSED YOU MUCH PAIN

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Hopefully most of you get streams up, I'll enjoy watching :D

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    I'm bringing at least two weird, not well known decks. One of which I think is suuuuuuuuuuper competitive. Still trying to decide on my third deck... it might be something lame because I don't have the dust to craft some off the wall epics/legendaries that are kind of irreplaceable in what I wanted to build.

And I'll be streaming!

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular

MAYHAPS IT IS YOU WHO WILL LACK THE KNOWLEDGE OF THAT WHICH HATH CAUSED YOU MUCH PAIN

if I am gonna lose fast I hope it's to you

ever since you told me you sometimes start khorne with the big mofo right in the empire I knew we shared something deep and important

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options

if I am gonna lose fast I hope it's to you

ever since you told me you sometimes start khorne with the big mofo right in the empire I knew we shared something deep and important

Best play.

Go big or go home.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    I'm bringing at least two weird, not well known decks. One of which I think is suuuuuuuuuuper competitive. Still trying to decide on my third deck... it might be something lame because I don't have the dust to craft some off the wall epics/legendaries that are kind of irreplaceable in what I wanted to build.

And I'll be streaming!

I too am having trouble figuring out my third deck.

I have two very solid decks, I think. I have a third solid deck, but it plays a similar role to the other two decks, so I'm not sure. The other possibility is a great deck, but I've gone like 2-13 over the past 15 games with it, so I clearly don't know how to play it well.

Of course, given the way these things usually go for me, I'll lose with my good decks anyway, so it probably doesn't matter!

I will also be streaming, if you want to watch someone make terrible decisions.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Don't forget to add your Battle.net name to the googledoc so your opponent knows who to friend before the match starts!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cHjzKBuaBLZflISRYOh5gtsCqVn2iCFYG7h-msNO2Dc/edit#gid=0

(I'm looking at you, @Variable‌)

vRyue2p.png