As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wii U] THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I'm so glad this Direct happened. It's been killing me knowing about 80% of that stuff and not being able to talk about it!

That being said, MM and Steam are insta-buys for me.

@MNC Dover‌ , next time you run into Bill Trinen, you punch him in the mouth and tell him it's "Mario Brothers", not "Mario Bros", and he's undone two years of me trying to correct my son's insistence on saying it wrong.

I shall do no such thing Houn. Bill is a gentleman and a scholar. Besides, I like my job.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Speed Mario Bros. doesn't have enough time to say both sylables.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    I'm so glad this Direct happened. It's been killing me knowing about 80% of that stuff and not being able to talk about it!

That being said, MM and Steam are insta-buys for me.

@MNC Dover‌ , next time you run into Bill Trinen, you punch him in the mouth and tell him it's "Mario Brothers", not "Mario Bros", and he's undone two years of me trying to correct my son's insistence on saying it wrong.

I shall do no such thing Houn. Bill is a gentleman and a scholar. Besides, I like my job.

But, Dover... think of the children. Mine, specifically.

• Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    OK, it just dawned on me again: Kirby and the Rainbow Curse is coming out REALLY soon. I was expecting it to be second quarter.

• Options
    KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    Watched the Pikmin movies. It's pretty short; maybe 18 minutes of actual movie and another 4 minutes of credits.

They are, however, hilarious. Pikmin are kinda great as they are, but this really mines the various types for comedic value.

Anyway, I enjoyed it, but just set your expectations for what you're getting for the money.

• Options
    As an aside, I think it's really good that they released a Pikmin demo. I think Nintendo understands that a good game released last year is actually the same value as a good game released tomorrow. Too many worthwhile games drop straight into bargain bins and are never appreciated. It's to the detriment of the games industry IMO. The more people who experience something as wonderful as Pikmin 3, the better.

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Does the $5 get you access to all of the shorts, though? It sounded like there was multiple movies at $5 each on the Direct.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    plufim wrote: »
    Does the $5 get you access to all of the shorts, though? It sounded like there was multiple movies at $5 each on the Direct.

Yes, but the first movie is like 2 minutes long. The others are 8 and 12 inc credits. They closest comparison is a Pixar short film.

• Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    I missed the direct and haven't had a chance to catch up yet. Did they mention anything about a US release for the New 3DS?

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    rndmhero wrote: »
    I missed the direct and haven't had a chance to catch up yet. Did they mention anything about a US release for the New 3DS?

Nope.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Kriegaffe wrote: »
    As an aside, I think it's really good that they released a Pikmin demo. I think Nintendo understands that a good game released last year is actually the same value as a good game released tomorrow. Too many worthwhile games drop straight into bargain bins and are never appreciated. It's to the detriment of the games industry IMO. The more people who experience something as wonderful as Pikmin 3, the better.

Nintendo made a holiday ad for Mario Kart 7 this year. That's downright unprecedented...its 3 years old at this point.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    So I bought the Pikmin Shorts last night. I couldn't help it. I love the series and characters. I'll watch them with my kids tonight and see how we like them.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Zelda MM almost makes me want to seek out a copy of Ocarina for the 3DS and finally play that game through. I've never actually played more than 20 minutes into either N64 Zelda game.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I played it for the first time a couple years ago - it holds up OK. The camera is a little rough, as with everything from that early 3D era, but it works fine.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    So we finally got around to giving Nintendoland a try last night at my house, but it kept insisting that something was "wrong" about my WiiMote, so we couldn't do anything 2 player. Anyone know what's up with that? I tried re-pairing it, and that didn't seem to make any difference.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    So we finally got around to giving Nintendoland a try last night at my house, but it kept insisting that something was "wrong" about my WiiMote, so we couldn't do anything 2 player. Anyone know what's up with that? I tried re-pairing it, and that didn't seem to make any difference.

If it literally had an error message that said "something is wrong with your Wii remote," then that sounds like it's probably straight up broken and you need a new one.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Oh God, please let this be happening!!!!!

During the investor Q&A:
    If I am allowed to do a little bit of PR here, we released a series of short films called “Pikmin Short Movies” on October 25 at the Tokyo International Film Festival. If you have not seen it yet, I hope you will check out the information on the Internet. The short film is only about 20 minutes, but this is our very first animated movie that uses “Pikmin” as its theme. We’re planning to make this 3D movie available on Nintendo 3DS and make the HD version of the movie available on Wii U in the near future. At the same time, we have also prepared a demo version of “Pikmin 3” so anyone who hasn’t played Pikmin can experience its unique joy. Continually launching campaigns after the release of software will lay the groundwork for the next iteration of “Pikmin” in the future. And needless to say, we want it to be one of the motivations for potential consumers to purchase Wii U. We are making a variety of different efforts.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/141030qa/03.html

Please be making Pikmin 4! I need it in my life!

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    No! No more Pikmin until we get another Metroid and F-Zero.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Pikmin 4. We explore a long-abandoned planet that, from a distance, begins to resemble some sort of racetrack.

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    I've never played a Pikmin game, is 3 a good one to jump in on? I'm imagining they're not exactly plot heavy.

That said, now there's a demo coming I've no excuse to not at least give it a go!

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
  • Options
    Venture IndustryVenture Industry Registered User regular
    Here's what I learned from the Direct: The plural of Amiibo is Amiibo apparently.

3DS: 3866-8020-5336 NNID/PSN: VentureIndustry XBL: Hax0rz
  • Options
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    I've never played a Pikmin game, is 3 a good one to jump in on? I'm imagining they're not exactly plot heavy.

That said, now there's a demo coming I've no excuse to not at least give it a go!

To me, it's one of the best series Nintendo has in their belt. It's so much fun and the Pikmin are super cute, and the absolute horror and sadness you feel when you see your entire group slaughtered before your eyes is like nothing you've ever felt. It makes you want to be a good leader and make sure that doesn't happen....but it will...because everything wants to kill them. :(

Also as far as plot goes, there is a fairly spoilery reveal in Pikmin 3, but nothing that ruins anything...it's more of a fun call back to the first two games.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    No! No more Pikmin until we get another Metroid and F-Zero.

How about a Pikmin game that takes place on Zebes?

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options

Yes! You don't need to know anything about the first two Pikmin games other than that Olimar was was the hero of them. The protagonists of 3 are all new, from a different planet than Olimar, even.

• Options
    SilentRoughWaterSilentRoughWater Registered User regular
    Pikmin and the Prime games made me a Nintendo fan again during the GCN era. Pikmin is awesome. Play it.

sig.php?user=BrokenBrik

Wii U NNID: TJandSam Steam: BrokenBrik
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    This thing is pretty slick!

Hey! I will never forget your great Wildstar builds. :) Welcome to being a Wii U owner. What games did you get, and which ones are you looking forward to?

Hey sporks! Yeah dude, those were real good times. Shame what happened to that game. Only have nintendoland (came in the refurb bundle) and it seems like there's some really entertaining stuff on there. I downloaded a bunch of demos last night, so those will keep me busy for a bit.

Will probably break down and go buy Bayonetta 2 today - I played the demo, and I forgot how much I love all that gleeful insanity. I found the story in the first one to be utter dreck, but my god the sheer spectacle of it all made up for it. Also looking up to pickup MH3U, pikmin, zombiu, wonderful 101, and whatever mario games. Basically all the exclusives I guess! I'm sure I'm forgetting some. Will probs gamefly most of them, but I don't think I can wait on Bayo. The demo alone was glorious fun.

I'm really impressed with the system as a whole. The gamepad-thing is really neat, and the TV/media functionality is a really nice surprise. And given how much I travel for work these days, I can totally see myself tossing the system in a carry-on, given how compact the thing is. Bottom line, $200 well spent.

Anyway my nintendo ID thing is TheMakersMark so hit me up folks and lets be wiibros.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular

I've only played 3 and I loved it. The call backs to the first two games are simple and don't affect your ability to enjoy the game.

• Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    edzepp wrote: »
    OK, it just dawned on me again: Kirby and the Rainbow Curse is coming out REALLY soon. I was expecting it to be second quarter.

This is great news as a fan of Canvas Curse.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    I just bought a used, really nice copy of Canvas Curse for my DS. Guess I should get to playing through that. :D

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
    Pikmin 3 was ok. It was really short. I beat it at day 28 and didn't even realize I was fighting the last guy. I'm glad I got it for free with MK8.

NNID = Zepp914
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    But interestingly, when you look at either one, either by themselves doesn’t have a lot of exclusive content. They have a lot of shared content. Look at it from the standpoint of, what don’t they have? They don’t have our games. They don’t have Mario and Zelda. I’d much rather be where Nintendo is, with a differentiated platform, differentiated set-up experiences that we can provide uniquely to the consumer. Let those other guys battle it out over, you know, which visual representation of Call of Duty is most compelling. I like our chances of having a differentiated console and a differentiated series of experiences.

I like this. A lot.

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Wow the pricing on some of the virtual console stuff is borderline insulting. $8 for a SNES game? Hahah NO. I think I've been spoiled by android gaming, where a buck or two can go real, real far. Oh well, I'm not the target audience anyway, so no big whoop.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Wow the pricing on some of the virtual console stuff is borderline insulting. $8 for a SNES game? Hahah NO. I think I've been spoiled by android gaming, where a buck or two can go real, real far. Oh well, I'm not the target audience anyway, so no big whoop.

Eight bucks for Super Metroid is a steal.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    The pricing should be adjusted a bit depending on the title instead of being set all across the board.

Earthbound, Demon's Crest, and even Castlevania IV for example are more than worth paying 8 bucks for since trying to find a cart of them is quite a bit more than that.

On the other hand, games like Ice Hockey or Cluclu Land should not be five bucks with the other NES games.

But either way it doesn't bother me. Earthbound was a steal considering they could have charged more for it and still been way under what finding a cart is. (I would have paid more for it :P )

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    I love pikmin 3 but you have to use the wiimote/nunchuk if you want solid controls

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular

Careful! You're not allowed to speak negatively about VC pricing around here. It's a borderline war crime or something :P

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Hahaha fair enough, say no more :rotate:

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »
    I love pikmin 3 but you have to use the wiimote/nunchuk if you want solid controls

Yeah I was playing the demo with the touch screen and was starting to think "maybe it's about time I pick up a wiimote..."

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »

Careful! You're not allowed to speak negatively about VC pricing around here. It's a borderline war crime or something :P

I mean... like the whole digital games price conversation is tough. It's easy to see peoples points on the cheapness of a lot of mobile games and everyone has different life situations where a certain amount is to much. Then again, personally I find it hard to understand the violet reaction to something like $8.00.

It's hard to articulate why if there is something I want the difference between $8 and $1 might as well not exist, I'll still buy it.

There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo