As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fallen London] et al.: Sunless Skies is out!

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    hold on

the boxful of intrigue is a repeatable carousel, but not if I want to finish the actual survivor of the affair of the box storyline?

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    Delmain wrote: »
    hold on

the boxful of intrigue is a repeatable carousel, but not if I want to finish the actual survivor of the affair of the box storyline?

after you finish the storyline you can keep doing turnins of A Boxful of Intrigue 13 for Compromising Documents/Stolen Kisses/1 other thing that i can't remember

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Anyone in Fallen London want a starveling cat for some reason? It burst out of a package for me.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    Anyone in Fallen London want a starveling cat for some reason? It burst out of a package for me.
    Sure, fuck it. Seen a couple times it was a requirement for some actions.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2017
    dporowski wrote: »
    So how's the iPad Sunless Sea turning out? Tempted to add it to the pile of iPad games I haven't played as much as I ought to.

I hadn't played it before but it seems like a perfect ipad game for the most part. Only things I'd complain about is sometimes losing sight of the ship due to hand being in the way - and it chops a bit sometimes going in and out of map/menus (not always). I've played like 8h so far just this week and love it.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Speaking of which I had to venture further in my quest to make lots of money and buy a better ship. I think I've like almost half the map explored now. I found something called The Utter Shroom which was a mushroom island all the way to the east somewhere.

Also found some kind of small island with a post office and a lovecraftian basement. Now I'm heading back there with a flare and what I guess are explosives and I'm curious to see what happens.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Honk wrote: »
    So how's the iPad Sunless Sea turning out? Tempted to add it to the pile of iPad games I haven't played as much as I ought to.

I hadn't played it before but it seems like a perfect ipad game for the most part. Only things I'd complain about is sometimes losing sight of the ship due to hand being in the way - and it chops a bit sometimes going in and out of map/menus (not always). I've played like 8h so far just this week and love it.

I'm super glad you're enjoying it. I don't think it's a game that will click for everyone - it's an odd combination of being both leisurely-paced but also stressful - but it clicked hard for me.

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    So I got the card to either help the old baronet escape to the tomb colonies which will remove connected society or warn his family which will remove my tomb colony favors

If I help him I'll lose all my society? I have like 90!

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    So I got the card to either help the old baronet escape to the tomb colonies which will remove connected society or warn his family which will remove my tomb colony favors

When I get these either/or cards, I keep them around until I have favors 6 or 7 from one of the relevant factions, then I cash in the favors for reknown and the card disappears. I definitely wouldn't sacrifice your connected: society--that's a choice that might make sense when society uses Favors/reknown, but doesn't now.

credeiki on
    Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular

You lose a good chunk but if you have 90 connected society i doubt you'll lose all of it

I would do what Cred does and just ignore it tho

• Options
    yeah, it is rarely if ever a good idea to side with the Connected side of those Connected/Renown dispute cards. Just try to use your Favours for the relevant faction instead.

Those cards will go back to being useful when both sides are Renown factions, but until then they are just crap that takes up space in your deck

• Options
    credeiki wrote: »

When I get these either/or cards, I keep them around until I have favors 6 or 7 from one of the relevant factions, then I cash in the favors for reknown and the card disappears. I definitely wouldn't sacrifice your connected: society--that's a choice that might make sense when society uses Favors/reknown, but doesn't now.

This is what I ended up doing and got a personal rec and a bunch of wine

Nice!

• Options
    Ok I have two reasons to go to polythreme now, a boat and a map. Anything I should stock up on before I go? Should I reset any menaces?

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Ok I have two reasons to go to polythreme now, a boat and a map. Anything I should stock up on before I go? Should I reset any menaces?

@Casual Eddy pick up an Exceptional Hat and a Battered Grey Overcoat; you'll be able to transform them into better items there

• Options
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Honk wrote: »

I'm super glad you're enjoying it. I don't think it's a game that will click for everyone - it's an odd combination of being both leisurely-paced but also stressful - but it clicked hard for me.

Yeah, I find the world fascinating! It certainly offers both of those feelings with sharp contrast. I'm at a point where I can stock up good so that supplies and fuel aren't really an issue and be cruising around and exploring, then suddenly it changes to be-very-careful time because a really powerful ship shows up. That coupled with the permadeath is really neat and makes it very tense at times. I did play FL for a while but didn't stick with it, I think this being more visual made it click and I really enjoy just going around and exploring it.

Also thank you because you've kept me reminded of FL and thus Sunless Sea with the writeups you've done once in a while! :)

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    It's a bitter irony that the only way to progress Mahogany Hall seems to be to click on a story called 'Variety is the spice of life' roughly a bajillion times.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    FFFFFFFFfffaaaaaaarggh

Grinding the god damned velocipede squad for Broken Giant. FOUR CYCLES IN A ROW I fail the final check... that I have an 80% chance of success on

FRIGGINFRAMMINFUGGIN

Sorry. Sorry. I'll just be over here. Drinking heavily.

Fleeb on
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I keep getting a card along the lines of "improving the good book" for which all the options involve trading in very specific forms of short stories...none of which I even have the option of writing, unless they show up in one of the high-end locations. If I go to Veilgarden all it lets me do is write generic short stories.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

@Casual Eddy pick up an Exceptional Hat and a Battered Grey Overcoat; you'll be able to transform them into better items there

@Jacobkosh got it!

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    I keep getting a card along the lines of "improving the good book" for which all the options involve trading in very specific forms of short stories...none of which I even have the option of writing, unless they show up in one of the high-end locations. If I go to Veilgarden all it lets me do is write generic short stories.

This is indeed the case.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    it only took opening an unconscionable number of Surprise Packages, but I finally have my own Blemmigan Secretary

now what to do with all this spare Notability

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    The clock just turned to April 1st, so I allowed myself to buy this month's hunk of Fate, and with it I got - finally - my very own Laconic Prodigy. +10 to three stats is great but having a badass orphan sidekick totally fits my character's secret agent/Batman vibe.

Of course, I thought the Fate would be the only cost associated with buying the Prodigy, but it went aheand and dropped my Engaged in a Scheme - an Orphange from 17 to 7. Ouch. I don't want to think about how many Echoes that represents.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    MoosehatIVMoosehatIV Saw a blimp once Registered User regular
    it only took opening an unconscionable number of Surprise Packages, but I finally have my own Blemmigan Secretary

now what to do with all this spare Notability

Congrats! I thought those were basically myths at this point. You are lucky indeed.

• Options
    So how do I get my investigating to 12 in polythreme ? My exhuberence gets to 1 when my investigating is only like 10

• Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    So how do I get my investigating to 12 in polythreme ? My exhuberence gets to 1 when my investigating is only like 10

There's a "paying your way" option using romantic notions and surface silk at the lower levels, and volumes of collated research and mysteries of the Elder Continent at the higher levels, where you basically just buy levels of investigating and fascinating

It's literal the only way I've ever managed to get anything done in Polythreme

• Options
    I haven't been to Polythreme in a month or two but as I recall there are a couple of opportunity cards that you can unlock after completing a successful round of the carousel that will make further rounds of the carousel notably easier. Definitely consult the Polythreme Guide.

It's all a bit luck based as you need to draw the opp cards that raise the stat you want to focus on for that round, but having a five-card lodging and unlocking those better cards will improve your odds.

• Options
    Polythreme is easy once you've got the system sorted.

Pay your way up until the cost changes from silk to romantic notions (grind more silk as needed, the option never leaves). Then turn any of the unwanted quality (investigating or fascinating) you gained by being lucky there into the wanted quality. Then on to opportunity cards, there will be two cards that only give you the quality you want (ruin and temple or market and priest), keep flipping until you get those. If you hit your quality total early and are killing time, beware the opportunity cards that can drop your qualities.

Once I started doing that I succeeded with turns to spare every circuit and I recently spent a lot of circuits there.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    I don't know what I was expecting to find in the box, but it certainly wasn't that.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    How big your hand? It's much easier to hold the crappy cards and just play the one you want if you can hold four. Five allows you to get the one you want all the time I think.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Where did people go with this month's story then?
    I told her to ditch the losers and concentrate on her sister. It's all about faaamly innit? I can't see many people picking anything other than that or the run away to sea option. Neither of the gentlemen acquitted themselves particularly well.
    I told her to run off to zee. She wasn't happy and wouldn't have been particularly happy with either of the men, and her sister was doing quite fine as an urchin. My Fallen Londoner just fucks around with no particular obligation to anyone, so of course they'd recommend the same.

This was an interesting monthly story to go through! I liked it a lot.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    credeiki wrote: »
    Where did people go with this month's story then?
    I told her to ditch the losers and concentrate on her sister. It's all about faaamly innit? I can't see many people picking anything other than that or the run away to sea option. Neither of the gentlemen acquitted themselves particularly well.
    I told her to run off to zee. She wasn't happy and wouldn't have been particularly happy with either of the men, and her sister was doing quite fine as an urchin. My Fallen Londoner just fucks around with no particular obligation to anyone, so of course they'd recommend the same.

This was an interesting monthly story to go through! I liked it a lot.

April Story:
    I decided the same actually because my character would have. My character is all about hedonism in the Neath (a "that's why we're all here, right?" thing). The two suitors were boring as shit and would have led to a shitty life and it seemed the kid had figured out what she wanted to do, so why try to force her to do otherwise.

• Options
    @Jacobkosh where do I get a corresponding ocelot?

• Options
    april story:
    I ended up convincing the sister to come home and get educated and for the nurse to marry the dullard

It felt like kind of a boring choice but I thought she would be wracked with guilt if she went to zee. the suitor is boring AF but does seem to want to take care of her, and she'd have more time for patients and help educating her sister

• Options
    @Jacobkosh where do I get a corresponding ocelot?

@Casual Eddy start in on the Labyrinth of Tigers. There are multiple levels, or "coils," and initially you need to do odd jobs in each coil to earn the right to/learn the secret passage to/etc the next coil down. (After you've unlocked the routes you can move between the coils freely.)

In the Fourth Coil, the Bishop of Southwark and a squad of nuns are trying to breed monsters and hire you to help. You get the option to pursue four different kinds of beasts - a Plated Seal at zee, a Hyena in the zoo itself, a Tomb Lion in the Tomb Colonies, and a Rubbery something or other in Flute Street (the Fate-locked area where Rubbery Men live). You can go to those places, catch a beast, and bring it back to the fourth coil, where you have various options to feed and train it before attempting to breed it. Different combinations of options give different results.

After you've unlocked the Fourth Coil and met the Bishop, an opportunity card will show up called "A Visit from a Cloaked Figure" or something like that. He offers to help your breeding project. For 20 Fate, he sells you some magic powder that you can feed to beasts along with all the training/exercise/etc to create special variant beasts.

If you catch the Hyena, max out every possible training option, and feed him the magic powder, you get the Corresponding Ocelot. (There are also various other cool rewards. I just now got a black stallion to ride around on.)

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Get a bifurcated owl! Feed it secrets!

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »

Working on it!

• Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular

Also your sanity! Who needs that shit?

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Some of these recurring opportunity cards feel very much like "we're going to make you think you can advance this story, but in reality the only option that actually does so requires a Fate purchase so if you don't buy Fate you're SOL."

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Etiowsa wrote: »

Also your sanity! Who needs that shit?

Surprisingly enough going insane is not the most common negative effect of Seeking!

I mean beyond the obvious and correct argument that Seeking is more insane than the people in the Mirror Marshes, but still.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Thanks @Mayabird for the box of second chances.

This discussion has been closed.