Options

[Fallen London] et al.: Sunless Skies is out!

• Options
    MoosehatIVMoosehatIV Saw a blimp once Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Well, this is my first noman. I don't think I can get them all the way to February, but that doesn't mean I can't take them drinking. To the bar!

Edit: this is going to end in tears.
    In the Princess Alicia, encircled by mirrors and glorified by gas-light, you sink gin and munch fried cave-crickets. After a while you feel the effects, but it's hard to tell with the noman. It invents curiously plausible stories about your past life – your childhood on the farm at the forest's edge, the loss of your ship to arson, your term in the Foreign Legion. New and old friends come and go. Your noman explains your mutual resemblance: it's your occasional cousin from the Surface.

You end up on the Embankment, propped against each other, arguing politics with an opinionated gaggle of well-dressed rats. Your noman suddenly bursts out laughing, to the rats' irritation. "It'll always be like this!" it shouts. "Always!"

MoosehatIV on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Maddoc wrote: »
    That fabulous diamond is looking more and more tempting if only to get all these devil cards out of my damn opportunity deck

Seriously. If this were Fallen 2010s London I would have super duper grounds to file a complaint with HR about these debbils.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    One more personal recommendation, which I should get as soon as that "Attend a Party" card comes around again, and I'll be a member of the Young Stags

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Well, landed in Newgate prison again.

*immediately looks for the toughest looking guy in the yard and punches him in the face*

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    I decided to build up my shadowy, since it's my lowest stat (and I want to accumulate some loot), and man, these casing jobs on the way to becoming a master thief are brutal. I am accruing ungodly amounts of suspicion, and only getting rid of it extremely slowly by confounding the constables in 'opportunism in spite' (Airs of London 0-25, if you're curious...).

Sort of tempted to just go back to being a zookeeper, because the labyrinth of tigers is very cute, but I will persevere.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    God, you can't just put a choice in front of me and say "Don't do it.". Might as well make it a big red button while you're at it.

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    I slept with the music-hall singer and it ruined our friendship

The event payoff was nowhere near worth it

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    r3y5nwy4ccos.png
    SHIT

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    I decided to build up my shadowy, since it's my lowest stat (and I want to accumulate some loot), and man, these casing jobs on the way to becoming a master thief are brutal. I am accruing ungodly amounts of suspicion, and only getting rid of it extremely slowly by confounding the constables in 'opportunism in spite' (Airs of London 0-25, if you're curious...).

Sort of tempted to just go back to being a zookeeper, because the labyrinth of tigers is very cute, but I will persevere.
    Super pro tip that I just figured out: all sources of Casing are interchangeable. So you can go back to Spite, go area-diving, and grind the Persuasive option for a slow-ish but totally safe 2 CP per action. This is also true of On the Hunt and possibly others as well.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    The image really makes this.

K4bbWhh.png

You can just imagine the monopoly man getting on top of a table and getting ready to start some shit.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Wyvern wrote: »

Super pro tip that I just figured out: all sources of Casing are interchangeable. So you can go back to Spite, go area-diving, and grind the Persuasive option for a slow-ish but totally safe 2 CP per action. This is also true of On the Hunt and possibly others as well.

A really important one of these, eventually, is dramatic tension. You can boost it with far fewer actions using war of assassins and cash it in other places.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »
    I slept with the music-hall singer and it ruined our friendship

The event payoff was nowhere near worth it

You'll get more boosts to friendship. And more chances to mess it up by sleeping with her. And will take them because you never learn. Or just get the boost cards more often than the one that lets you trade in some of the friendship for Making Waves and need to use it for something.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I'm working on my shadowy as well, but I think I'll just go ahead and go back to prison for a bit.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Anyone got a good way to grind bottles of muscaria brandy?

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Anyone got a good way to grind bottles of muscaria brandy?

Grind souls, upconvert.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    I'm working on my shadowy as well, but I think I'll just go ahead and go back to prison for a bit.

Going to prison is one of the worst losses because a criminal record is really quite obnoxious.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Also, thank you to all who continue to send chess matches my way. Note that the sudden insights cap at 12 on wins and 22 on losses, so be sure to use them.

Also I still need more chess matches. Infinite chess matches for Garcher.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    milski wrote: »

Going to prison is one of the worst losses because a criminal record is really quite obnoxious.
    Cant imagine its that bad if you like roleplaying as a career criminal dirtbag though.

Atleast I hope not. Never had any dreams of going legit.I'm pretty comfortable working my way up to becoming a batman villian.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    two of my hardest RP limitations on my dude are that I don't seek the Name and I refuse to go to the pokey ever

Fancy Sherlock Holmes doesn't do time

time does him

• Options
    I leveled my with-gear watchfulness to 100 and turned a tale of terror into a lens of black glass.

Pretty good payout when I shattered it; a few of those will pay for any high-end gear.

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    I got the chance to choose what faction I am 'closest to'; what does this do for me?

...and should I not have chosen hell? The devils are so charming.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    two of my hardest RP limitations on my dude are that I don't seek the Name and I refuse to go to the pokey ever

time does him

But seeking the name is so fun!

*literally does things to his soul so unspeakable devils flee in terror at the sight of it*

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    I got the chance to choose what faction I am 'closest to'; what does this do for me?

...and should I not have chosen hell? The devils are so charming.

Closest-to unlocks options on faction cards for advancing Counting the Days

It seems like a minor decision that you might as well roleplay?

kedinik on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Hey I made a noman. What do I do with it? Besides party hard with it ofc.

• Options
    I'm digging for the Tomb of the Seven

These gods-damned rivals are nipping right at my heels and I have no extra supplies

• Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Finally robbed the Bazaar itself, and what a disappointing haul! The only thing I ever remember doing with London Street signs is gaining entry to the Flit...Am I missing something? Do I just sell these?

• Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular

No, just that pretty much it. Be the best friend a noman could have. If you're cool enough it'll have some parting gifts for you. If you're extravagantly rich you can feed it some tears of the bazaar to keep it around longer. If it lasts till the February event you can get a tattoo of it.

• Options
    Etiowsa wrote: »

No, just that pretty much it. Be the best friend a noman could have. If you're cool enough it'll have some parting gifts for you. If you're extravagantly rich you can feed it some tears of the bazaar to keep it around longer. If it lasts till the February event you can get a tattoo of it.

Hmm, looks like I can get a vial of tears down in the nadir with this leftover lacre. Might give that a shot. My noman is delightful - we got sideways on mushroom wine and then went on a crime spree!

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Etiowsa wrote: »

Hmm, looks like I can get a vial of tears down in the nadir with this leftover lacre. Might give that a shot. My noman is delightful - we got sideways on mushroom wine and then went on a crime spree!

Don't use a vial of tears on it hoping to get anything if you weren't prepped.

Getting a Noman to February is basically the rich endgame player challenge, and supposedly gets harder every year. We're talking people arranging to have dozens of buckets of lacre and tears of the bazaar.

If you want to do it for the story, sure, but a single tears will pretty much just be a drop in the bucket.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    OK, good to know. Thanks.

• Options

time does him

Hmm, fancy Sherlock Holmes refusing a mystery? Surely an intellectual of his prowess would have no issue cracking this little conundrum of a name...

• Options
    MoosehatIV wrote: »

time does him

Hmm, fancy Sherlock Holmes refusing a mystery? Surely an intellectual of his prowess would have no issue cracking this little conundrum of a name...

Sherlock Holmes ain't never ate his own teeth

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Bros and broettes and bros of indeterminate gender I could really use some wound reduction right now as I have spent the last ~80 actions grinding A Literary Sort of Fist-Fight in Watchmaker's Hill for the eight zillion Proscribed Material I need to compile a Book of Hidden Bodies and my wounds are right up to 7 and some change

EDIT: ahahahahaha! I did it! I am now a member of the Parthenaeum!

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Bros and broettes and bros of indeterminate gender I could really use some wound reduction right now as I have spent the last ~80 actions grinding A Literary Sort of Fist-Fight in Watchmaker's Hill for the eight zillion Proscribed Material I need to compile a Book of Hidden Bodies and my wounds are right up to 7 and some change

EDIT: ahahahahaha! I did it! I am now a member of the Parthenaeum!

Do some unfinished business in Ladybones, Veilgarden, or Spite until your Winds of London is at 90+ (Put it on your mantlepiece and pull up your profile in a separate tab so you can easily check after every action)

Go back to your lodgings when it's at 90+ and sleep, 3 actions for -7 CP wounds

Don't do the Unfinished Business in Watchmaker's Hill of course, because you will probably die by freak accident

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Man there is some dumb shit that drives up your nightmares at the university
    like, I don't manage to get someone else's paper published, and that gets me thinking about whether my work will be rejected in the same way, and that sorta bumming me out drives me closer to eldritch madness? Like, man, even if I never investigated the correspondence this guy would probably still need their nightmares reduced with some regularity from the times they accidentally burned their toast.

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular

Alternately if you are just getting started being a thief stealing paintings for the topsy king will probably be less challenging while also not cost you 3 points per action while still getting you casing on success. Still raises suspicion on failure though, so you might just want to do what Wyvern said and grind casing back in spite. Just be sure not to accidentally spend it.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    Man there is some dumb shit that drives up your nightmares at the university
    like, I don't manage to get someone else's paper published, and that gets me thinking about whether my work will be rejected in the same way, and that sorta bumming me out drives me closer to eldritch madness? Like, man, even if I never investigated the correspondence this guy would probably still need their nightmares reduced with some regularity from the times they accidentally burned their toast.

Man, your character is going to have a rough time when it comes to peer review his work.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Tragic discovery: the awesome On the Hunt options in tier three of the Labyrinth that also give about one echo/action stop showing up once you advance the story a couple of times. My dream of super-efficient echo grinding through building On the Hunt there and then spending it on capturing savage beasts from the old dock quests dies before it began.

Wyvern on
    Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    Flute street is pretty dang odd.

• Options
    Darlings,

As of today my beautiful, hungry plant has entered the final stage of the botanical competition. However, I have no competitors to challenge at this stage. So I am taking on all challengers. If you think your leafy stalk of verdancy is up to snuff, send an urchin around with a challenge.

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Winter IV

This discussion has been closed.