As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fallen London] et al.: Sunless Skies is out!

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    after months of drawing cards repeatedly....finally.

eZfYK77.png

time to go through it all again.

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    What do all the other dreams give you if you grind them high enough?

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular

I doubt I'll ever learn because you have to turn in level 5 of most of them for the Heart's Desire ambition

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

Pretty much nothing, but there's still much more than just getting Stormy Eyed; note that once you have stormy eyed all storm dream cards will now give you an option to either gain or lose Stormy Eyed points (gain, always gain!)

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Delmain wrote: »

I doubt I'll ever learn because you have to turn in level 5 of most of them for the Heart's Desire ambition

Don't tell me the key is another gotcha? I was banking on that one. I like my dreams!

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Oh, I think the key works too, but iirc you can only get one?

• Options
    I dunno. I'd hoped you could use it for all it was worth and then turn it in. I'm still working on getting a boat at the moment so time will tell!

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    If it's the Stone Tentacle Key, I believe that if you were to somehow lose it, you would be able to get another since it locks based on you having the key or not, rather than any other quality set by obtaining the key.

• Options
    Delmain wrote: »
    Oh, I think the key works too, but iirc you can only get one?

It's also exclusively for ambitions so the only risk is if you switch ambitions. And you can re-acquire it anyway, I am 90% sure.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    MoosehatIVMoosehatIV Saw a blimp once Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    In exchange for the glorious Kickstarter to move London to the stars, a secret bit of information has been revealed about the Masters. Depending on what you already know about our lovely cloaked benefactors, this may be more than you wish to know. Be warned.
    The following information is derived from two highly controversial sources.

The first was an end-of-term paper entitled On the Origins and Descent of the Masters. It was written by a Benthic student, who claimed it was based on rubbings taken from a lost Second City inscription. Her paper (along with the rest of the class’s coursework) was seized by an Auditor from the Ministry of Public Decency. The Principle awarded each student a first, as is traditional when their work is seized by the Ministry.

The student responsible emigrated – abruptly – to the Iron Republic, but not before scratching a choice excerpt into the back of a toilet door with a compass. The passage was discovered by several students and circulated, before the Ministry returned and removed every toilet door in the college at the hinges.

The second source is A Rhyming Revelry a slim book of nonsense rhymes written by a once-celebrated cellist. He was, for a time, a favourite at Mr Wines’ revels. One rhyme concerns eleven pilgrims who travelled from a cold and windy waste. It enumerates each of the reasons the pilgrims were unwelcome in their homeland.

The book is impossible to find these days, but it is said the Jovial Contrarian has a copy, and enjoys quoting it at more libertine events.

By combining these sources, and indulging in a certain amount of speculative recreation, we can suppose the following:

Firstly, that the Masters’ kind are denizens of the High Wilderness. Their hunting-grounds lie in the dark span between the stars. Occasionally, some instinct draws them together to boast of their recent bargains, trade secrets, and battle to establish primacy. Their chiefs are victorious, merciless pedlar-magnates.

Secondly, that the Masters were not Masters in the High Wilderness. Indeed, they accepted the position as emissaries of the Bazaar in order to escape misfortune, failure, and fruitlessness.

Thirdly, we have an inkling about the reasons for their ignoble conditions, although no indication which applies to which Master. The circumstances given in A Rhyming Revelry are:

-hoarding
    -light-bringing
    -impersonation, and the delivery of false testimony
    -perpetration of the crimes of knife and of candle
    -idleness, and the dwelling-on of dreams
    -runtery, aberration,
    -pursuit of a Treachery
    -failure and defeat; a fall from king to beggar
    -glass-whispering. And worse: charity
    -truth-strangling
    -violation of the Order of Days, “which determines the hour of the hunt, the feast, the council, the bargain, and the slaughter”

MoosehatIV on
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Also be careful with what the thunder said now, its possible to go past the point where things happen and be locked into too much dreams of thunder to miss some hilarious insanity.
    I think the only way to get enough stormy eyed is to grind it actually.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    MoosehatIV wrote: »
    In exchange for the glorious Kickstarter to move London to the stars, a secret bit of information has been revealed about the Masters. Depending on what you already know about our clients cloaked benefactors, this may be more than you wish to know. Be warned.

The first was an end-of-term paper entitled On the Origins and Descent of the Masters. It was written by a Benthic student, who claimed it was based on rubbings taken from a lost Second City inscription. Her paper (along with the rest of the class’s coursework) was seized by an Auditor from the Ministry of Public Decency. The Principle awarded each student a first, as is traditional when their work is seized by the Ministry.

The student responsible emigrated – abruptly – to the Iron Republic, but not before scratching a choice excerpt into the back of a toilet door with a compass. The passage was discovered by several students and circulated, before the Ministry returned and removed every toilet door in the college at the hinges.

The second source is A Rhyming Revelry a slim book of nonsense rhymes written by a once-celebrated cellist. He was, for a time, a favourite at Mr Wines’ revels. One rhyme concerns eleven pilgrims who travelled from a cold and windy waste. It enumerates each of the reasons the pilgrims were unwelcome in their homeland.

The book is impossible to find these days, but it is said the Jovial Contrarian has a copy, and enjoys quoting it at more libertine events.

By combining these sources, and indulging in a certain amount of speculative recreation, we can suppose the following:

Firstly, that the Masters’ kind are denizens of the High Wilderness. Their hunting-grounds lie in the dark span between the stars. Occasionally, some instinct draws them together to boast of their recent bargains, trade secrets, and battle to establish primacy. Their chiefs are victorious, merciless pedlar-magnates.

Secondly, that the Masters were not Masters in the High Wilderness. Indeed, they accepted the position as emissaries of the Bazaar in order to escape misfortune, failure, and fruitlessness.

Thirdly, we have an inkling about the reasons for their ignoble conditions, although no indication which applies to which Master. The circumstances given in A Rhyming Revelry are:

-hoarding
    -light-bringing
    -runtery, aberration,
    -pursuit of a Treachery
    -truth-strangling
    -violation of the Order of Days, “which determines the hour of the hunt, the feast, the council, the bargain, and the slaughter”

Hmm.
    A cause is missing. One of those is not a misfortune of the eleven

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    milski wrote: »
    In exchange for the glorious Kickstarter to move London to the stars, a secret bit of information has been revealed about the Masters. Depending on what you already know about our clients cloaked benefactors, this may be more than you wish to know. Be warned.

-hoarding
    -light-bringing
    -runtery, aberration,
    -pursuit of a Treachery
    -truth-strangling

Hmm.

If you are speaking of your patron...
    I assumed he was the runt/abberation. I believe it was mentioned that he had some of these problems in his lore.

• Options
    edited March 2017

-hoarding
    -light-bringing
    -runtery, aberration,
    -pursuit of a Treachery
    -truth-strangling

Hmm.

I assumed he was the runt/abberation. I believe it was mentioned that he had some of these problems in his lore.
    Yes, that is almost certainly correct. I dom't believe we even know the names of all masters, but there was onlu one runt, and he isn't of the eleven.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular

-hoarding
    -light-bringing
    -runtery, aberration,
    -pursuit of a Treachery
    -truth-strangling
    truth-strangling sounds like Mr Pages

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Going through the list, a few jump out right away. The rest are more ambiguous or outright guesses.
    -hoarding - Mr. Stones, most likely due to his love of gems.
    -light-bringing
    -perpetration of the crimes of knife and of candle - Mr. Irons. Easy.
    -idleness, and the dwelling-on of dreams - Mr. Wines? He seems the type.
    -runtery, aberration - Mr. Eaten.
    -pursuit of a Treachery - Mr. Fires? He does really really hate Mr. Stones.
    -glass-whispering. And worse: charity - Mr. Mirrors? Who else would glass whisper?
    -truth-strangling - Mr. Pages? This seems to be his forte?

So with that, who do we have left?
    Mr. Hearts
    Mr Apples
    Mr. Spices
    Mr. Veils

Edit: forgot Mr. Cups

(Mr. Sacks?)

MoosehatIV on
  • Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular

-hoarding
    -light-bringing
    -runtery, aberration,
    -pursuit of a Treachery
    -truth-strangling

Hmm.

Yes, that is almost certainly correct. I dom't believe we even know the names of all masters, but there was only one runt, and he isn't of the eleven.

Are you sure of that? Late Ambition spoilers
    One of the masters goes by two names, so the count is slightly inflated.

• Options
    I'm On A Boat!

/lonelyisland

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Having written the opera, been kicked out of Court, and returned from my subsequent exile, I bought the Mysteries of the Foreign Office and have been running through that carousel all yesterday and today. The writing has got that great combination of whimsical and horrifying that I love, but the idea of having to choose between
    cannibals

and
    Snuffers

particularly on very little information, is not greatly appealing in either direction.

• Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Having written the opera, been kicked out of Court, and returned from my subsequent exile, I bought the Mysteries of the Foreign Office and have been running through that carousel all yesterday and today. The writing has got that great combination of whimsical and horrifying that I love, but the idea of having to choose between
    cannibals

and
    Snuffers

particularly on very little information, is not greatly appealing in either direction.
    Snuffers aren't cannibals. QED.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Etiowsa wrote: »

-hoarding
    -light-bringing
    -runtery, aberration,
    -pursuit of a Treachery
    -truth-strangling

Hmm.

Yes, that is almost certainly correct. I dom't believe we even know the names of all masters, but there was only one runt, and he isn't of the eleven.

Which ambition is this? I don't recall any master going by two names except that Mr Veils is the Vake, and nobody thinks the Vake is a master. E: Nevermind, Mr. Hearts & Mr. Mirrors are both pulling double duty. But I swear I've read about the fact there are twelve.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    cannibals

and
    Snuffers

Snuffers aren't cannibals. QED.

You shouldn't judge a cannibal until you've walked a mile in their shoes, sailed on their ship around the Unterzee, been low on supplies, wound up at the Chapel of Lights, helped the Sigil-Ridden Navigator discover his past, attended feasts in Wither and Port Adam, . . .

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I had a sudden attack of sanity and decided that spousing an actual human being that probably won't eat me/my face was worth the tiny 1 stat point tradeoff and have resumed my pursuit of the Celebrated Artist's Model instead.

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    I had a sudden attack of sanity and decided that spousing an actual human being that probably won't eat me/my face was worth the tiny 1 stat point tradeoff and have resumed my pursuit of the Celebrated Artist's Model instead.

But i married the Celebrated Artist's Model....

*Writes a name onto my list*

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Orphane wrote: »

But i married the Celebrated Artist's Model....

*Writes a name onto my list*

Dear god, as did I! What HAS been going on here?

Edit: Bloody hell, she's got enough diamonds to Scrooge McDuck in them, hasn't she.

dporowski on
  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular

-hoarding
    -light-bringing
    -runtery, aberration,
    -pursuit of a Treachery
    -truth-strangling

Hmm.

Which ambition is this? I don't recall any master going by two names except that Mr Veils is the Vake, and nobody thinks the Vake is a master. E: Nevermind, Mr. Hearts & Mr. Mirrors are both pulling double duty. But I swear I've read about the fact there are twelve.
    The thing that immediately jumped to my mind was the "Masters as the Apostles/Eaten as Jesus" allegory, but then I don't know if I've read anything but conjecture to really support it

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular

Psssst. Engage in Rubbery Love. Occasionally promenade proudly and get shipped out to the Tomb Colonies, it's great.

Join usss.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    @Delmain Definitely hold on to your dreams (there's a song in there somewhere), the key is fairly easy to get as soon as you have a boat, is only used for ambitions and obtaining it is a fun story to boot!

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    mrpaku wrote: »

-hoarding
    -light-bringing
    -runtery, aberration,
    -pursuit of a Treachery
    -truth-strangling

Hmm.

The thing that immediately jumped to my mind was the "Masters as the Apostles/Eaten as Jesus" allegory, but then I don't know if I've read anything but conjecture to really support it

It was a theory en vogue when Mr Eaten first released and was subsequently scuttled but its pretty thoroughly debunked

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Surely if anything is analogous to Jesus it's the Bazaar. It's defined by love (in some sense of the word) and serves as an intermediary between lower and higher orders of being.

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    I think I finished the soul trade
    I stole the contracts and returned the regretful soldiers wife's soul and I think I returned the 100 souls to the guy who showed up at my door

Is there anything else? Am I now able to draw that card that removed menaces?

• Options
    I think I finished the soul trade
    I stole the contracts and returned the regretful soldiers wife's soul and I think I returned the 100 souls to the guy who showed up at my door

Is there anything else? Am I now able to draw that card that removed menaces?

I believe so, yeah

• Options
    Narratively speaking, I feel like the Good end of the soul trade storylet is a little iffy. Like, in order to take advantage of the opportunity when it comes up, I typically go con a bunch of low level spirifers, which ensures they'll double down on their sketchy practices to make up for lost profits when they figure it out. And for my part, I end up sitting on thousands of souls until I get the chance to drip feed them back to their potential owners, but only when my body is ragged and my reputation is being dragged through the marsh.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Narratively speaking, I feel like the Good end of the soul trade storylet is a little iffy. Like, in order to take advantage of the opportunity when it comes up, I typically go con a bunch of low level spirifers, which ensures they'll double down on their sketchy practices to make up for lost profits when they figure it out. And for my part, I end up sitting on thousands of souls until I get the chance to drip feed them back to their potential owners, but only when my body is ragged and my reputation is being dragged through the marsh.

It'd certainly be more interesting as a twenty action card or something of that nature.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Who wants a point of investigating the affluent photographer?

• Options
    What's the best way to get the pile of contracts needed to use the Shepherds' card?

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    What's the best way to get the pile of contracts needed to use the Shepherds' card?

It's probably not the most efficient one, but I typically go to Unfinished Business on Watchmaker's Hill -> legs and contracts. 5 per turn, dangerous check, possibly of wounds.
    cB557 wrote: »
    Who wants a point of investigating the affluent photographer?

Hit me up! (James Ghent)

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    I am also on the photographer cycle, feel free to send me whatever.

• Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    Does the Zubmariner DLC add anything to the original Sunless Sea or is it just a whole new self contained area?

• Options
    Zubarminer is an add-on to the base game; it adds a bunch of new ports and a couple of new Ambition storylines and some other stuff.

This discussion has been closed.