As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fallen London] et al.: Sunless Skies is out!

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Sometimes I amuse myself.

A while back I got a Half Wild Mandrake as part of my Ambition.

I also renamed it to
    Degrassi

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    there's a survey to complete in fallen london and they give you some darkdrop coffee for taking it!

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Polythreme is easy once you've got the system sorted.

Pay your way up until the cost changes from silk to romantic notions (grind more silk as needed, the option never leaves). Then turn any of the unwanted quality (investigating or fascinating) you gained by being lucky there into the wanted quality. Then on to opportunity cards, there will be two cards that only give you the quality you want (ruin and temple or market and priest), keep flipping until you get those. If you hit your quality total early and are killing time, beware the opportunity cards that can drop your qualities.

Once I started doing that I succeeded with turns to spare every circuit and I recently spent a lot of circuits there.

Thank you so much for posting this! I fell off on this game after getting sorta frustrated with Polythreme, but this makes it seem dead simple. Really appreciated.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    Thanks @Mayabird for the box of second chances.

You're welcome! Anybody else want/need some?

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Thank you jacobkosh! your gift turned out to be rather perilous and exactly what I needed, =P

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Some of these recurring opportunity cards feel very much like "we're going to make you think you can advance this story, but in reality the only option that actually does so requires a Fate purchase so if you don't buy Fate you're SOL."

The goal is to annoy you until you buy the story to remove the card from the deck.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    MoosehatIVMoosehatIV Saw a blimp once Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    Some of these recurring opportunity cards feel very much like "we're going to make you think you can advance this story, but in reality the only option that actually does so requires a Fate purchase so if you don't buy Fate you're SOL."

The goal is to annoy you until you buy the story to remove the card from the deck.

This is basically what happened to me. I just had to return the Regretful Soldier's Wife's soul. It just ate away at me every time I discarded that card.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    MoosehatIV wrote: »

This is basically what happened to me. I just had to return the Regretful Soldier's Wife's soul. It just ate away at me every time I discarded that card.

This is absolutely a large part of why I eventually did the Trade in Souls

• Options
    Maddoc wrote: »

the An Intimate of Devils stuff is even worse

• Options
    unrelated:

jacob, when you did the scholar of the correspondence stuff via the Empress' Court, what option were you using to grind the Inspiring?

I've been using The Lead because it's +15 with no downside as long as you can't fail, but I'm wondering if there's a good option to actually get something out of the grind

• Options
    Delmain wrote: »

the An Intimate of Devils stuff is even worse

I mean to get rid of that stuff, just hock your soul

Optionally, get it back with fate later

I unfortunately found out that if you do the expensive soul trade option that you get for finishing a Trade in Souls to get rid of your soul, it DOESN'T prevent those Intimate of Devils cards from showing up once you get your soul back with fate

So I may not get my soul back any time soon

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I'm only one coil in and this Labyrinth of Tigers place is already very intriguing. Much more interesting than Mahogany Hall that's for sure. Not that it was bad, just, kind of passable?

And a nice big Dangerous CP drop for the story transition of finishing hunting in London and moving to the labyrinth. Why does Shadowy not get these big drops as well? Unless I missed it, there was no such big stat reward for progressing from bats and cats in the flit to Mahogany Hall, and all of 113 moon pearls as a reward for finishing that content, and I had to buy my access there with a grab bag of crap rather than gaining it through the story like all the other areas!

Shadowy sucks.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    unrelated:

jacob, when you did the scholar of the correspondence stuff via the Empress' Court, what option were you using to grind the Inspiring?

I've been using The Lead because it's +15 with no downside as long as you can't fail, but I'm wondering if there's a good option to actually get something out of the grind

@Delmain I did Composition: The High Path, which gives like 20 or 25 CP but costs 25 honey a pop. However, the cost of the honey is more than recouped by the moonpearls you earn for finishing, and you get some +Persuasive every time and on a rare success you lose no honey and gain a Sapphire, so it was worth it for me because everything went so much faster.

In terms of Echoes per action of course it's not optimal but you're still coming out ahead rather than losing things. And it saved my sanity.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited April 2017
    double post

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    triple post wtf

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Getting my soul back after a misclick on intimate of devils took me about a year or more of flipping cards randomly. You used to be able to get it back pretty easily from what I've read, but they keep taking it out of certain places. I think a crowd gathers to be addressed by you first option is where I got it back.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    triple post wtf

Quick, post four more times then drown yourself in a well!

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Getting my soul back after a misclick on intimate of devils took me about a year or more of flipping cards randomly. You used to be able to get it back pretty easily from what I've read, but they keep taking it out of certain places. I think a crowd gathers to be addressed by you first option is where I got it back.

I assume that's with actively ignoring the fate locked option for getting it back or were you really unlucky in drawing that card? I had mine back within like a week.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    unrelated:

Delmain I did Composition: The High Path, which gives like 20 or 25 CP but costs 25 honey a pop. However, the cost of the honey is more than recouped by the moonpearls you earn for finishing, and you get some +Persuasive every time and on a rare success you lose no honey and gain a Sapphire, so it was worth it for me because everything went so much faster.

In terms of Echoes per action of course it's not optimal but you're still coming out ahead rather than losing things. And it saved my sanity.

hmm, I don't have enough persuasive to avoid failures on that one, and I'd be looking at over 7000 honey to get from 8 to 10 even without failures just to save 95 actions over the course of the run.

I'd rather it just take another day, honestly. I hate grinding for money more than anything else in this game (any game really, I hate playing to get money)

Thanks for mentioning it though, if that's the only other good option then I know I'm fine doing what I'm doing.

Delmain on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    omg the keeper of the labyrinth is probably my favorite character so far

• Options
    I'm already a cyborg at this point, so hey maybe I don't need that soul anyway

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    imo just pay the fate to get the special storylette for reclaiming your soul. it's pretty good! and you get a special quality.

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    The pain in the ass bit is that due to the way I lost my soul, I'll start getting the Intimate of Devils cards again if I do

• Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    Does someone wanna send be a box of rats if they're able? I'm trying to build up wounds to turn into money.

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    I've gone from totally hating Polythreme to never wanting to leave.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Polythreme isn't the greatest place to be.
    "REMEMBER POLYTHREME"

IN POLYTHREME THE BED I SLEPT ON WAS A SLAVE. THE ROOM WHERE I SLEPT WAS HACKED FROM SCREAMING STONE. THE WATER I DRANK BEGGED ME TO STOP. THEY PAID ME IN COIN THAT PLOTTED MY DOWNFALL. THE MEMORIES ARE TROUBLING. THIS PLACE IS BETTER.
    London is pretty nice.

Neaden on
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Neaden wrote: »
    Polythreme isn't the greatest place to be.
    "REMEMBER POLYTHREME"

IN POLYTHREME THE BED I SLEPT ON WAS A SLAVE. THE ROOM WHERE I SLEPT WAS HACKED FROM SCREAMING STONE. THE WATER I DRANK BEGGED ME TO STOP. THEY PAID ME IN COIN THAT PLOTTED MY DOWNFALL. THE MEMORIES ARE TROUBLING. THIS PLACE IS BETTER.
    London is pretty nice.

It all ends the same way. Burned.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Having trouble finding a source of Greyfields 1882 that'll get me more than two at a time.

• Options
    Having trouble finding a source of Greyfields 1882 that'll get me more than two at a time.

If you finish the Plaster Face story at your lodgings, you get an opportunity card with the Albino Rat that gives 50 a pop.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular

The 1882 is .04 echoes per at the Bazaar... And I have like 900 of the damn things so there's got to be a source for them even if I don't know it. Sure you don't mean the 1868?

• Options

If you finish the Plaster Face story at your lodgings, you get an opportunity card with the Albino Rat that gives 50 a pop.

That's a big if. As far as I can see you need to either buy a very expensive companion or flip a jillion cards in one location (neither of which you'd have a chance of knowing without wiki diving) or pass a ridiculous luck test or pay fate. And that's pretty early on.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options

That's a big if. As far as I can see you need to either buy a very expensive companion or flip a jillion cards in one location (neither of which you'd have a chance of knowing without wiki diving) or pass a ridiculous luck test or pay fate. And that's pretty early on.

I dunno, I didn't pay fate for it? It took a while but I just built up the Working Rat's progress quality over and over until the checks were straightforward.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    I'm at a stage 2 where I need a ridiculous luck check, or ratly concerns 3 (or fate).

I got one ratly concerns by luck:
    happening to own a ratskin suit and a working rat made a card appear

but that only worked once and further progress now I have that first point seems to be as entirely un-signposted:
    own all 3 rat companions (on of whom costs 320E) or keep flipping cards specifically while stood in watchmakers hill.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Once you get to be a POSI (and have 10 points of Great Game connected) you can get Greyfields 1882 under Unfinished Business in Ladybones Road at 50 bottles per action.

• Options
    Or turn in Society Connections by calling favours at the palace.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Playing without using the wiki for every decision is a lot more fun, but you run the risk of missing free fate and permanently locking yourself out of things.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    I'm at a stage 2 where I need a ridiculous luck check, or ratly concerns 3 (or fate).

I got one ratly concerns by luck:
    happening to own a ratskin suit and a working rat made a card appear

but that only worked once and further progress now I have that first point seems to be as entirely un-signposted:
    own all 3 rat companions (on of whom costs 320E) or keep flipping cards specifically while stood in watchmakers hill.

I just did the luck check, I think?
    I bought a bunch of cheap working rats and some number of them died in the process. I didn't have any ratly concerns (now I have a bunch because I listen to the albino rat's whining sometimes...)

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    The only time I've really felt fucked by my decision going in blind is the Last Constable

• Options
    The only time I've really felt fucked by my decision going in blind is the Last Constable

How so? I sided with the constable. I'm guessing from the lack of any follow up that was the wrong choice?

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    I made a choice with regards to the Duchess and the Widow that cost me a lot of time and effort on my Ambition later.

And yeah, I sided with the Last Constable early on which apparently locks you out of a bunch of Criminal opportunities.

This discussion has been closed.