Options

[chat] un Rendez-vous

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    listen feral if god didn't want me to take all of the pills he would have made them too big to swallow

Benzos are good for smoothing out the comedown from psychedelics tho

As long as there's somebody in your group capable of properly judging dose

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    that specialty or a mohel was his only career options with that name

there should be a law

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFAhVyyL3SU

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    how does a glucose allergy work?

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Belasco32 wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    I take clonazepam for anxiety. It makes me not give a fuck, but only barely. I can still feel the crazies scratching at the door of my amygdala. I just don't care that I do.

I find that it helps more if I take it right when I suspect I might maybe need it later than if I wait and take when I know I'm looking at the edge of the cliff.

because of my custom designed plumbing, I absorb it pretty damn quickly. So I just bite half a tab and close my eyes until the panic stops.

• Options
    your body makes that

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    your body makes that

your body makes semen too but there are some people who can't let it get on their own skin.

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular

My understanding is that she has some peculiar variation of hypoglycemia such that she's allergic to ingesting glucose, though not to touching it generally.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    kedinik wrote: »

My understanding is that she has some peculiar variation of hypoglycemia such that she's allergic to ingesting glucose, though not to touching it generally.

a drip puts it right in your blood, it's a pretty direct way to fix low blood sugar

sorry for my scepticism but it's like being allergic to blood

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

a drip puts it right in your blood, it's a pretty direct way to fix low blood sugar

Maybe allergy is the wrong word, but she cannot eat sugar because getting sugar into her blood can in theory kill her and will at least knock her off her feet and give her headaches for a while.

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular

Maybe allergy is the wrong word, but she cannot eat sugar because getting sugar into her blood can in theory kill her and will at least knock her off her feet and give her headaches for a while.

I do not understand. How does she function?

• Options
    edited July 2014
    I found out I have plenty of money to make it to payday

plus I made lots of food and put it in the freezer so I can spend nothing if I want*

*and if I keep not paying for the light rail or bus to and from work

feels good

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options

hypoglycemia isn't the word then, because that means low blood sugar

blood has sugar in it, if not you straight up die, it is the fuel for everything your body does

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Sounds like it was toxins

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Isn't....isn't glucose required for cells to function?

• Options
    edited July 2014
    assoti_05_02_2014_23.jpg

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Delmain wrote: »

I gather that she has low blood sugar and that she has to stay that way to avoid triggering these related-but-distinct problems, and that consuming simple sugars - or pouring them straight into her veins - is what causes the problems.

High sugar being the problem, not any sugar. Sorry. She has never explained it super well to me but this is my best guess. But I do know that drinking a regular soda would put her in bed for the rest of the day because of however exactly her body reacts to average or high sugar levels.

kedinik on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    i really hate some of my coworkers' voices. fuck cubicles

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

Just speculating here, since I dunno the situation:

She could be pre-diabetic, or have an enzymatic deficiency. It's not common, but it's not impossible. It's more likely a form of hyperglycemia, not hypoglycemia, where her body doesn't process sugar efficiently enough and it leads to dangerously high blood glucose levels.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    Dynagrip wrote: »

Corporate accounts payable, Nina speaking! Just a moment!

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
  • Options
    There can also be weird shit that happens in the kidneys in hyperglycemic patients, where an excess of blood sugar causes the kidneys to release potassium into the bloodstream, leading to hyperkalemia. Hyperkalemia can cause heart attacks, so yeah.

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Have I ever mentioned that I hate it here?

Cause I really hate it here.

• Options
    Cinders wrote: »
    Have I ever mentioned that I hate it here?

Cause I really hate it here.

:(<3

• Options
    Feral wrote: »

She could be pre-diabetic, or have an enzymatic deficiency. It's not common, but it's not impossible. It's more likely a form of hyperglycemia, not hypoglycemia, where her body doesn't process sugar efficiently enough and it leads to dangerously high blood glucose levels.

A doctor mentioned to me that I seem to be pre-diabetic, which I gather is partially genetic, and if I have that from her then that's in line with your guess.

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Gooey wrote: »
    Dynagrip wrote: »

Corporate accounts payable, Nina speaking! Just a moment!

I actually hate how god damn quiet the office is

and everyone talks super low on the phone too.

like I'm not a loud person, but jesus, speak up! throw a pie! fuck!

tyrannus on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    So, apparently Slavoj Žižek is being accused of plagiarising a passage from a book review written in 1999.

The plagiarism was discovered because it was far too easy to understand for it to truly have been written by Žižek.

So awesome.

@Evil Multifarious@Eddy @Podly @‌Nerds

(The Slate article is typically devoid of context, focusing on the most inflammatory and least relevant aspects, but the NPR link shows it's pretty much a non-story.)

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular

So something similar to type 2 diabetes. Makes sense. My father was diagnosed with that about 10 years ago now. He was starting to exhibit symptoms shortly after having complications from dental surgery and a subsequent infection. He was told to drink orange juice to help with the infection. It got a point where he was going through almost 2 litres a day and was still feeling thirsty. One night he was working and stopped into the local health centre since our family doctor was there and was feeling very off and light-headed. They tested his blood and his blood sugar was up to 32 (norm is supposed to be between 5-7). They admitted him right away and had to give him 2 insulin shots over the course of the night otherwise he would have gone into a diabetic coma.

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options

A doctor mentioned to me that I seem to be pre-diabetic, which I gather is partially genetic, and if I have that from her then that's in line with your guess.

Is there any Inuit or Canadian First Nations in your mom's heritage? Sugar intolerances are particularly common in those populations.

• Options
    I realized I can either go to bed in half an hour or not get my lovely eight.

Getting up at 6 sucks.

So here is a heartbreaking photo of a soldier at a fireworks show.

DjZHl.jpg

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    @Aarseth‌ @Winky‌ @Nova_C‌

I think you're the last three first-round matches that I haven't played yet. I should be home to start playing our games around 7pm PST.

• Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    You broke my heart, you early-waking bastard.

• Options
    Gonmun wrote: »

So something similar to type 2 diabetes. Makes sense. My father was diagnosed with that about 10 years ago now. He was starting to exhibit symptoms shortly after having complications from dental surgery and a subsequent infection. He was told to drink orange juice to help with the infection. It got a point where he was going through almost 2 litres a day and was still feeling thirsty. One night he was working and stopped into the local health centre since our family doctor was there and was feeling very off and light-headed. They tested his blood and his blood sugar was up to 32 (norm is supposed to be between 5-7). They admitted him right away and had to give him 2 insulin shots over the course of the night otherwise he would have gone into a diabetic coma.

well now that sounds like a vicious cycle

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    deleted

damn ninjas, getting in between my reaction and the post I was reacting to

cB557 on
  • Options
    (I dunno why felt like I had to pretend the reason was mean spirited or something)

(I really want to give that soldier a hug)

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I am training an older gentleman to join our team at work

So far he is doing pretty well, has laughed at all my jokes, and bought me a coffee

Give this man a raise immediately

• Options

Is there any Inuit or Canadian First Nations in your mom's heritage? Sugar intolerances are particularly common in those populations.

Nah, mostly Austrian and English with a bit of Irish, French and Swiss.

I doubt that the esteemed John "Immigrant" Grub would have ventured outside those lineages in producing an heir with some unnamed partner.

No, wait-

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    So this morning I had a consult with a plastic surgeon about doing something about the scars on my body, mostly the ones on my back. The doc just emailed me what he thinks he can do. It looks like most of them can be fixed up with the topical cream. Most of the rest they think could be dealt with surgically. But the one on my finger is pretty much just fucked. They can reduce it but they can't remove it.

• Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    Gonmun wrote: »

well now that sounds like a vicious cycle

It was. He would wake up, have a glass then an hour later feel thirsty again and get another glass. It took about 3 weeks for the infection to subside with that and the anti-biotic treatment. Though tbh, in a way we might never have found out about it if he hadn't been drinking the oj as well. He certainly wasn't in great health at that point due to his weight but we never suspected it. It was really coincidental and good timing on his part that he went in that night to see the doctor otherwise he might have gone into the coma during his shift or overnight and died.

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    merry bastille day americains and anglais motherfuckers

I have celebrated by cooking wiht chèvre and drinking Norman cidre, and reading French comics (Boulet)

Then later I guess maybe I'll storm a prison or something

vive la France!

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    I realized I can either go to bed in half an hour or not get my lovely eight.

Getting up at 6 sucks.

So here is a heartbreaking photo of a soldier at a fireworks show.

DjZHl.jpg

My shrink has access to a sound proof room, and he always sets up what he calls a quiet party for his vets with PTSD for the 4th of July.

This discussion has been closed.